Choosing the Right Phones - Metal Genres
Oct 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Wirbel

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, still trying to decide on what to buy. I've read so many threads and researched so many phones that I think I'm just going in circles. Here's where I stand:

I currently own:

SHR840 - I think they sound pretty decent actually, fairly neutral, but I'd probably prefer an open or semi-open phone. They're also pretty uncomfortable so they will almost certainly get returned once I picked a new pair.

AD700s - I ordered this on a whim and almost immediately regretted it. Not because they are bad, but because I got them originally as a choice for gaming and soon after realized I'd like to spend more to get better headphones for music (gaming as an after-thought). These are fairly comfortable (although the massive pads are annoying), and the bass isn't completely disappointing (it's weak, but I'm not a basshead so I don't need much more to be pleased).

Anyway, my music tastes:

1. Metal - First and foremost, with a major focus on Melodic Death Metal, Folk Medal, and a bit of Prog. Examples would be Kalmah, Archons, Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquillity, Quo Vadis, Insomnium, Zonaria, Equilibrium, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Soul Vision.

2. Trance / Eurodance / Soundtracks - This is a group of second interest that I like but certainly isn't a focus. I like to listen to this type of stuff while studying, and it can range from movie soundtracks to various forms of electronic music. Again though, I'm not overly picky about this stuff sounding amazing.

I also game and watch movies, so I'm looking for an all-around headphone that can properly handle the metal genres I've listed. For a few reasons, I have ruled out Grado

I've been considering:

AKG K701
FA-003
DT990 '05
DT880/600
Denon D2000

I've heard the bottom three do great for immersion gaming and metal music, though I'm not sure if my specific genres of metal alter those conditions. I've always been attracted to the AKGs since I do enjoy classical music and I've seen posts talking about them working well for certain types of metal (mine?). The FA-003 is supposed to be like the SHR840, but improved in most areas. Is this true and will they match my tastes well? They are fairly appealing due to price. In terms of price, I believe the Denon and FA will be the least expensive for both the phones and the amps required to power them. 

I'll pick up an amp for whatever I buy, so just assume I have something adequate to power any of these.

For people who have experienced some of these phones with the metal I listen to, can you give me some feedback on the direction you would go? Feel free to suggest phones not on the list as well. Comparisons between those on the list and the SHR840s (for metal) would also be helpful.

Thanks guys!

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 28
Mostly because Grado is too specialized from what I can tell. Although I want my headphones to perform well for metal, I'm willing to sacrifice performance a bit so that they also perform decently for gaming, movies, and other genres. I do plan to get a pair of Grado (possibly 225) down the road, but I need my current purchase to be slightly more well-rounded. 

DT880 was sort of where I was leaning, although I heard 990 (250?) was possibly a better choice. 

Do you use your 225s for anything other than listening to metal? I've just heard that they are very poor at doing anything else, which is kind of a problem since I don't have money for two pairs right now.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 28
I'd probably go with the D2000s, but that's mostly because I don't like the Beyer house sound too much.  The 990s have a bigger dose of it than the 880s though.

Grados are perfect for my melodic death/black metal Pandora station, but the bass doesn't go low enough for my collection of techno/electronica.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 28
I think if not Grado's,Beyerdynamic's would suit metal perfectly.

AKG is I hear too bass light for rock/metal.

990= more bass, treble sparkle
880= more balanced sound (possibly forward mids)

It depends on what sound you prefer. If you like bass more (especially in metal for double-bass, earth-shattering attack) get the DT990.
If you like mids more (hearing guitar riffs at their finest) DT880.

DT990 could possibly do metal depending on what kind of sound you like but should do electronic music better than the DT880.
DT880 would suit more genres though as it has a more balanced sound.

Strange though, I've heard the '03 version of the DT880 has recessed mids and the '05 version has actually a bit forward mids?

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 28
Grado's work well with other genres too. People tend to exaggerate. They lack soundstage for gaming, but that is my only complaint. When powered with a uDac they have just enough everything for most genres. Also treble is not overpowering the uDac. 
They are the greatest, ever. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 28
Yeh, 880 is where I was leaning, but I'd heard the D2000 and FA-003 were also viable?

My ideal solution would be Grado 225i for metal + K701 for other stuff and I think that would be perfect. Unfortunately, if I did that, I wouldn't have any cash left for an amp
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 28
Since we've got some Grado users here. A side question: How are the 225i for comfort?

Would still love to hear some more opinions on my options. 

The main reason I was leaning toward the k701 is because it is an all-rounder and I'd heard it was decent for some metal. Since it would be good for everything else, I'd make due and get 225i down the road to fill my metal love. Doing it the opposite way (225i first and k701 later) seemed like a bad idea because of the 225i genre limitations. If that has be exaggerated, then perhaps I should reconsider. I'm not really concerned with gaming positioning, but how do the Grado perform for gaming immersion and movies? 

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
Since we've got some Grado users here. A side question: How are the 225i for comfort?

Would still love to hear some more opinions on my options. 

The main reason I was leaning toward the k701 is because it is an all-rounder and I'd heard it was decent for some metal. Since it would be good for everything else, I'd make due and get 225i down the road to fill my metal love. Doing it the opposite way (225i first and k701 later) seemed like a bad idea because of the 225i genre limitations. If that has be exaggerated, then perhaps I should reconsider. I'm not really concerned with gaming positioning, but how do the Grado perform for gaming immersion and movies? 

The K701 is FWIR not a good all arounder. Hell no. It has little bass and scattered soundstage. It is for classical and acoustic. Don't. You need a hell of an amp to power them adequately. Really don't unless you have $300+ for an amp. FWIR of course.
Comfort? Grado? It sucks at first. Fine, it still sucks. But not as much. For the audio nirvana that they provide it is fine with me. I wear them incorrectly so my opinion isn't valid. I wear them with my ears touching the housings or whateverthehelltheyare. You are supposed to wear them so the bowls touch the back part of your ear. 

Are they comfy? No. Would I trade them because of it? Hell no.  Gaming immersion and movies? I think they do pretty well, but I have no reference point. For a good all arounder that is comfy, I would suggest the HD600/580 FWIR and a decent DAC and amp if you don't have either one.  

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 28
Not a big fan of Sennheiser, from limited experience. Think it comes down to 880 or the 225i. What would be the minimum amp required to power DT880/600 going Xonar DX -> amp -> DT880? I've heard the 225i are very easy to power, which would be great given that they are cheaper than the 880s the begin with. If amping the Grado is fairly cheap, I may consider keeping my AD700s to compliment the 225is?

Edit: Pro 900s are probably out of my price range right now. What about the 750s?

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 28
Ok, thinking that a good solution might be like I mentioned in the previous post - keep AD700 for gaming and use 225i for metal. Do you guys think these compliment each other well? The one thing that concerns me about the Grado is the bass. I'm not a basshead at all, but listening to things like Quo Vadis, I do like when there is some punch to blast beats. i know Grado will excel at guitars and such (which is awesome), but is the bass enough to at least keep up with the elements commonly found in metal?

Also, based on what the AD700s does well, is it worth keeping with the 225i? Or should I just put the $110 toward an amp for the 225?

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 28
Ultrasone do metal extremely well so don't discount them so quickly. I listen to metal primarily and I didn't find my Pro900's to be inferior to my RS1i's at all which I used to own.

Quote:
Ok, thinking that a good solution might be like I mentioned in the previous post - keep AD700 for gaming and use 225i for metal. Do you guys think these compliment each other well? The one thing that concerns me about the Grado is the bass. I'm not a basshead at all, but listening to things like Quo Vadis, I do like when there is some punch to blast beats. i know Grado will excel at guitars and such (which is awesome), but is the bass enough to at least keep up with the elements commonly found in metal?

Also, based on what the AD700s does well, is it worth keeping with the 225i? Or should I just put the $110 toward an amp for the 225?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back