Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 29, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #6,121 of 7,153
Are there any good, low cost chi-fi open backs that have a similar sound to the ISK MDH9000 and it's clones (Marantz MPH-2, Lyxpro HAS-30 etc)?

In other words looking for something with similar warm tone, yet good mids and highs, while having an open soundstage.

I've had some Superlux headphones in the past but wasn't fan of the treble harshness in them so i'd like to avoid that brand.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #6,123 of 7,153
One brand I came across but don't think most of it is available outside China is Gold Planar.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #6,124 of 7,153
I have not heard those but I had the older version HM710. Old version had cheap all plastic build but the drivers are very capable. Nice extended bass with ample soundstage considering the closed design and small cups. If HM810 has same or improved drivers those are a great deal. I've seen those sold for less than 20€. I plan on buying a pair.
Quoting myself from four years back as I finally got the hm810 I had planned on buying in 2016. Many people propably won't remember beevo hm700. It was very cheap on-ear with crappy materials but sound was surprisingly good for very little money.

Hm810 is definately an upgrade on the outside. It's a pretty headphone. Quite shameless B&O ripoff, but I can live with that.
IMG_20200606_204433.jpg

IMG_20200606_210038.jpg

Positive:
- detachable cable (it's a $15 headphone)
- headband adjuster is metal, so are back of the cups.
- for $15 it's not that bad, quite decent soundstage, fun bassy kind of sound.

Negative:
- horrible quality control- earpads peeling on arrival, driver flex, dented headband
- mostly plastic
- uncomfortable (earcups don't swivel)
- bloated bass, honky mids, lacking subbass, timid highs

I only one set of old beevos left, and those need a recable because the plug broke so I can't give a comparison. I do think old one sounded better but it's been a long time. Some of the modded beevos I had definately sounded better.

This is not bad for the money but I'm bit disappointed. These can do pretty crazy (mid) bass, and for someone looking for a very cheap basshead headphones these are a solid alternative. I can't recommend these for more refined listening.

Drivers appear to be the same as on hm700 but paper is different. Both drivers have 10 vent holes but through the back it looks like hm810 has 15 holes.

IMG_20200606_200738.jpg
IMG_20200606_201231.jpg
Old and new driver. New driver was horribly dented. Heard alot of crackling when I first put them on. I fixed The diaphgram and got all those dents off. Sound improved and crackling is gone.

Earpads were peeled of before I touched them. I've opened a dispute with aliexpress. Also there are permanent dents on headband and 3.5mm plug is crooked. I paid only 12 euros for these but this is unacceptable.
IMG_20200606_200031.jpgIMG_20200606_200301.jpgIMG_20200606_195027.jpgIMG_20200606_195035.jpgIMG_20200606_195147.jpgIMG_20200606_195617.jpg

I've just complained how Goldplanar gl400 had noin swiveling earcups and how uncomfortable that made them. These beevos have the same problem. Whats is even more ridiculous is that beevo made a fake part that should have swiveled. That part is permanently fixed on the cup.
IMG_20200606_214040.jpg

I wish I had gotten a decent bottle of wine instead of these. However if one needs a lot of bass for $15 and quality control problems are not a problem hm810 is a valid option. Driver is still good. Heck, I remember one of my beevo hm700 mods had such a crazy bass nothing could match it. Not any of the Sony xb series or even th900.

Once again measuring non swiveling on-ear headphones is very difficult. Those fake ears on mini dsp just keep pushing off the headphones. I think midbass should be quite on the level with those boosted upper mids. Subbass is lacking but it's not that bad in reality. That dip at 5khz can be neglected to a degree as that hole there is a common measurement issue with mini dsp.

Beevo HM810.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #6,125 of 7,153
Hi I'm an IEM guy, due to their portability and better isolation. But would like to seek your advise on a good CHIFI closed back headphone. Budget < $150 USD, prefer a sound signature similar to the Sennheissers, something warm. Comfort is a plus. Gonna drive them from desktop -> Khadas tone board -> fiio A3 amp.

I'm a big fan of CHIFI and I've bought the OKCSC ZX1 but wasn't too impressed with them in terms of details and clarity compared to some CHIFI IEMs at the same price.

TIA for your advise!!!
What iems would you recommend at similar price that are better than zx1?

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #6,127 of 7,153
What iems would you recommend at similar price that are better than zx1?

Hi, how would you compare zx1 to smth like hd 58x, dt 990, x2??? Also is there any iems that would be better than them at similar price point??

IEMs are very very different from headphones. It is really comparing apples to oranges. The IEMs generally have better portability, isolation and drivability, but they lose in soundstage to headphones.

It's gonna be difficult to compare their sound signature, but maybe if u could answer these questions, I hope the community can give u some feedback on IEMs/headphones.

1) What are the music genres u listen to?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? U like something neutralish? V shaped? Harmanish? midcentric? Basshead/bass averse? Treblehead/treble sensitive?
3) Do u need portability and isolation? Ie are u using these on the go or at home?

Maybe if u are looking for IEMs, you can check out these links for some bang for buck sets:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #6,128 of 7,153
IEMs are very very different from headphones. It is really comparing apples to oranges. The IEMs generally have better portability, isolation and drivability, but they lose in soundstage to headphones.

It's gonna be difficult to compare their sound signature, but maybe if u could answer these questions, I hope the community can give u some feedback on IEMs/headphones.

1) What are the music genres u listen to?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? U like something neutralish? V shaped? Harmanish? midcentric? Basshead/bass averse? Treblehead/treble sensitive?
3) Do u need portability and isolation? Ie are u using these on the go or at home?

Maybe if u are looking for IEMs, you can check out these links for some bang for buck sets:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
1) I mostly listen to korean and japanese music, gendres are: pop, eletronic, rap, rock, hip-hop and sometimes acoustic, jazz. I don't listen to classical, country.
2) Probably smth like U, V shape with decent bass
3) I mostly going to use them at home, isilation is not a necessity but would be a nice addition, however if the item is good I can sacrifise isolation for better music quality.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #6,129 of 7,153
Hi guys-- I'm looking for very specific bluetooth ear-buds. My old ones died and, well, I figure that maybe I'd be able to find a surprisingly well-rounded one here. I've looked around a bit but generally have just found a few that seem decent though they seem to just blur together and I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

I need them to have clip-ons (that go around the ear) that are comfortable and soft earbuds, my ears are just stupidly pain-sensitive. They should be under 60$ (it's fine if they're more expensive but go down in sales),
I don't mind whether or not they're true wireless or not though tbh I'd be very much interested to try it out for the first time.
Sound-wise I like vibrant but not very bassy or fatiguing; I listen to all kinds of genres (i.e., musicals to just regular good ol' rock). I sometimes play games as well.
I'm not expecting full noise cancelling though as much as possible is preferred; I'd be sleeping in them sometimes to deliberately block out the noise. I usually put on a noise track.
Build quality should be good and not too bulky (if I sleep on my side it shouldn't break them).
Side-note is that it'd be cool if it actually had an optional wire option but I'm not counting on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6,130 of 7,153
Hi guys-- I'm looking for very specific bluetooth ear-buds. My old ones died and, well, I figure that maybe I'd be able to find a surprisingly well-rounded one here. I've looked around a bit but generally have just found a few that seem decent though they seem to just blur together and I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

I need them to have clip-ons (that go around the ear) that are comfortable and soft earbuds, my ears are just stupidly pain-sensitive. They should be under 60$ (it's fine if they're more expensive but go down in sales),
I don't mind whether or not they're true wireless or not though tbh I'd be very much interested to try it out for the first time.
Sound-wise I like vibrant but not very bassy or fatiguing; I listen to all kinds of genres (i.e., musicals to just regular good ol' rock). I sometimes play games as well.
I'm not expecting full noise cancelling though as much as possible is preferred; I'd be sleeping in them sometimes to deliberately block out the noise. I usually put on a noise track.
Build quality should be good and not too bulky (if I sleep on my side it shouldn't break them).
Side-note is that it'd be cool if it actually had an optional wire option but I'm not counting on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #6,132 of 7,153
Just realized there is a thread dedicated to Chinese headphones, so I'll drop this here:

I recently reviewed the SIVGA SV004 headphones, a very good sounding headphone for 90 bucks (90 USD). I think that they are superior to some stuff from the larger brands (at this price range), but again there are so many good budget headphones out there (like the Status CB-1 - haven't heard it, but based on the feedback from people those are some bad boys). For 90 USD these have some really great build quality.. I mean they don't have a single flaw, which is just mind-blowing and fascinating to me.

If anybody would want to read about my experience with the SV004: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sivga-sv004-wooden-budget-friendly-headphones.24451/reviews

11262897.jpg

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #6,133 of 7,153
I wanted to share a really good deal on a ChiFi headphone.

Xiaomi is apparently clearing out stock of the 2nd generation Mi HiFi wired headphone. Gold is the only color available.

The headphone was originally $100-$120, and is being sold for $39 with coupon code. Also, during Aliexpress sales, you can use coupon-fu to get it even cheaper.

It’s an on-ear, closed headphone. All aluminum build, 40mm graphene driver, and made for Xiaomi by 1More. It’s very compact on the head, fits well, is very comfortable to wear, folds up, and includes a hard carry case.

Note that this is the 2nd gen version. The 1st gen had a beryllium driver, a different style of fake mesh grille, and came with multiple earpads. I’ve never heard the 1st gen, so I can’t tell you how this compares.

The sound is V shaped, but it’s got good midrange that isn’t super recessed. I guess it could be considered mild V shaped or U shaped.

It reminds me a lot of the 1More H1707 Triple Driver (a $300 headphone), in sound tuning, build, and fit. It’s basically the little brother of the H1707, and I can definitely tell that 1More used the Xiaomi HiFi as a testing/proving ground for the more advanced/expensive H1707.

The Xiaomi even has a secret unadvertised passive radiator, identical to the one used in the H1707. Which I guess makes it a ‘dual driver’ using 1More’s questionable marketing nomenclature (eye roll lol).

The earpads are removable (twist locking), but they’re proprietary. However, 3rd party replacement pads are available on Aliexpress. I ordered a set to see how the quality compares.

Anyways, if you’re looking for a very well built, knock around headphone that has a closed design, consumer tuning, and that you can wear outside without looking like an idiot, it’s a heck of a good deal.

It is 32ohm, so just like the H1707 it scales well with an amplifier. It is drivable from a phone, but not to ear shattering levels.

The Aliexpress seller is “Mi CC Store”, and it’s genuine and factory sealed.

CC4FCF8D-A1F9-4B63-9E6C-C08EF3D09A03.jpegEFE3CCB6-43A4-4DD6-AD91-3125DED131A7.jpeg33F8742B-47FC-43EE-9245-30C0BAB7670E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #6,134 of 7,153
I wanted to share a really good on a ChiFi headphone.

Xiaomi is clearing out stock of the 2nd generation Mi HiFi wired headphone. Gold is the only color available.

The headphone was originally $100, and is being sold for $39 with coupon code. Also, during Aliexpress sales, you can use coupon-fu to get it even cheaper.

It’s an on-ear, closed headphone. All aluminum build, 40mm graphene driver, and made for Xiaomi by 1More. It’s very compact on the head, fits well, is very comfortable to wear, folds up, and includes a hard carry case.

Note that this is the 2nd gen version. The 1st gen had a beryllium driver, a different style of fake mesh grille, and came with multiple earpads. I’ve never heard the 1st gen, so I can’t tell you how this compares.

The sound is V shaped, but it’s got good midrange that isn’t super recessed. I guess it could be considered mild V shaped or U shaped.

It reminds me a lot of the 1More H1707 Triple Driver (a $300 headphone), in sound tuning, build, and fit. It’s basically the little brother of the H1707.

The Xiaomi even has a secret unadvertised passive radiator, identical to the one used in the H1707. Which I guess makes it a ‘dual driver’ using 1More’s questionable marketing nomenclature (eye roll lol).

The earpads are removable (twist licking), and you can get replacement pads on Aliexpress.

Anyways, if you’re looking for a very well built, knock around headphone that has a closed design, consumer tuning, and that you can wear outside without looking like an idiot, it’s a heck of a good deal.

It is 32ohm, so just like the H1707 it scales well with an amplifier. It is drivable from a phone, but not to ear shattering levels.

The Aliexpress seller is “Mi CC Store”, and it’s genuine and factory sealed.

CC4FCF8D-A1F9-4B63-9E6C-C08EF3D09A03.jpegEFE3CCB6-43A4-4DD6-AD91-3125DED131A7.jpeg33F8742B-47FC-43EE-9245-30C0BAB7670E.jpeg

Thanks for the headsup! Good deal.

A few queries:
1) How is the clamp force?
2) How is the subbass extension?
3) And is it hot on the upper mids/treble?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #6,135 of 7,153
Thanks for the headsup! Good deal.

A few queries:
1) How is the clamp force?
2) How is the subbass extension?
3) And is it hot on the upper mids/treble?

Thanks in advance!

Clamping force is perfect IMO. I have been wearing them non stop for about 6 hours so far, with no hotspots or glaring comfort issues. I only took them off once to take a break for dinner.

The on ear pads aren’t overly hot either, which can be overwhelming in summer with big ass circumaural pads like HM5 etc.

They would be more comfortable with larger pads, but that’s every on ear headphone in the world. I might try to mod 1 of my pairs with Beats pads like I did with 1 of my H1707, but we’ll see how I feel.

Note that since the headband is metal, the clamping force can be easily adjusted if need be.

Sub bass extension is deep. It’s not overwhelming or overly boosted though. For example, one of my goto test tracks for sub bass extension is Crazy by Seal. At 5:20 there is a very deep sub bass line, and the Xiaomi hits it with ease and plenty of rumble.

As far as treble, it’s very well done. Smooth, not harsh or piercing, not overly analytical. In fact, the treble on the H1707 can be hotter due to the ceramic tweeter.

The is a very polite and musical headphone. Tuned for the average consumer masses. They’re not TOTL giant killers though. But they’re a total steal at the $39 price, and I’m definitely going to be using the heck out of them (which I can’t say for a lot of my headphones).

Remember though, it’s closed so it’s got the typical closed in compressed sound. But 100% that’s to be expected, especially with on ear pads and compact ear cups with small internal volume.

I will also mention that I am not using the stock cable. I’m using a custom made SPC upgrade cable. I’ve done all my listening with the ES100 and also FiiO A5 amp. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back