Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 17, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #6,106 of 7,153
Yup, these would definately need audition first. Maybe some people are ok with the fit. Also there is the closed version...maybe it sounds better.

I've allready listed gl400 for sale but if nobody wants it I propably try to get the whole baffle with driver fitted into some other headphone.

I'm expecting Beevo HM810 in couple of weeks. Those could be a potential shell donor.
BEEVO-High-End-Earphone-BV-HM810-Metal-Headphones-with-Mic-Stereo-Headphone-for-Iphone-Android...jpg

Pad rolling can increase comfort but the hotspot is always present. Unfortunately I have not found anything that sounds good yet.
IMG_20200517_100817.jpgIMG_20200517_100327.jpgIMG_20200517_100315.jpgIMG_20200517_095653.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #6,107 of 7,153
@Roderick Atleast they do something right :D The pad rolling. It was a bit shame that Hifiman did not give us a suck option for the Deva. Of course u can attach anything with time, a glue/tape or even 3D print mounting rings.

May 17, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #6,108 of 7,153
I finally got the Gold Planar GL400 (open version). Took six weeks to arrive. I guess Covid-19 is still affecting the deliviries.
IMG_20200516_191545.jpg

Since there is little information availaible on these headphones I'll start by correcting what has been written about these headphones elsewhere. There is a review that states "You get a well-padded headband with a good albeit plastic mechanism to adjust for sizing. The earcups swivel and pivot which aids the comfort somewhat. " First of all the slider mechanism is made of metal, not plastic. What is more important is that earcups do not pivot. The cups swivel 180 degrees so you can lay them flat but the cups do not pivot. To make it clear by pivoting I mean the vertical movement of the cups which makes them adjust to your headshape.

Cups on Beyerdynamic T1 tilt freely to achieve proper fit.
IMG_20200516_193311__01.jpg

Allmost all headphones do that to some extent because without pivot mechanism it is unlikely most people get a comfortable fit. GL400 and Martin Logan Mikros 90 are only headphones I can think of that have no pivot mechanism whatsoever. Kind of makes me wonder how someone who reviews headphones professionally can miss something like that.

As you can see from this inside pic there is no hidden mechanism that allows the cups to tilt.

IMG_20200516_163428.jpg

So why am I making such a big fuzz about lack of this pivot mechanism?

1) This design makes the headphones extremely uncomfortable

2) It affects sound quality in a very negative way

These are propably the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had. Generally I don't even find on-ear headphones uncomfortable. The clamping force is concentrated mostly on the upper portion of the ear.

Look how it fits on my measurement kit.
IMG_20200516_165157.jpg
IMG_20200516_165142.jpg
It is a pain to wear and it also leaves lower parts lacking seal which of course affects sound quality. GL400 sounds hollow and depending on seal issues can lack bass. It sounds like listening to music through a metal tube. Loudness like, fatiquing, reverby mess. Upper treble is severely recessed. Cymbals lack shimmer and presentation in general is lacking air. Lot of these negatives could have been avoided with a pivot system. When I push the cups near my jaw things clear up nicely. Bass is still soft and loose sounding for a planar but midrange clarity is improved so much that I think these headphones actually have potential. Treble is still quite nonexistent no matter what I do.

Few words about earpads... Stupid fixed headband system is not the only culprit when it comes to lack of comfort. Earpads suck. Pads look quite nice on pictures but the foam inside is too soft and the actual soft part of the pads is only about half of what you'd guess by looking at them.

This is the actual thickness of the earpads
IMG_20200516_195859.jpg

I wanted to do some measurements but on ear headphones are always tricky with mini dps ears. It is even more tricky with headphones like gl400 that don't adapt to headshape at all. So I taped the headphones on the measurement rig.

IMG_20200516_171243.jpg

So the measurement is iffy at best. However that is pretty much how it sounds to my ears. Shouty, loudness like midrange lacking any higher frequencies. Channel balance is nice but because of the tape job I did that can't be trusted.
Gold Planar GL400.jpg

These headphones could have potential with different headband and more comfortable earpads. Some mods to bring out the highs and lower the 1khz-3khz region to tone down the shouty loudness effect. Frequency response has no weird dips or peaks. I can't think of a cheap headphone that is so linear. It has great bass extension down to 20hz. If someone came up with proper mods these could easily be the best headphones under $100. Technicalities are there but I'm kind of pissed that Gold Planar released this mess that is more like a prototype than a finished product.

The housing they used on this headphone is a generic one. I had dick smith vt-h68's which look a lot like and those had a all metal housing. On gl400 cups are plastic. So they took a very plain design and downgraded from metal to plastic. Many major brands use this design.

1589652034754.png

I can't say for certain but if gold planar got their parts from Shenzhen Vtsonic they should have atleast used the better model vt-h63. If this sounds or looks familiar it's because not long ago I recommended rebrand kit sound milano in this thread. GL400 with those pads and pivot function could have been a homerun.
1589652303246.png

Stil... if someone want's to give GL400 a go, good news is that ear pads can easily be replaced. Attachement ring is not glued on so you can use any pads you like that are about the right size.
IMG_20200516_172211.jpg

Other things:

- Very light for a planar. Reported weight is 160g.
- Cable is microphonic
- Quite easy to drive, straight out of a oneplus 6 it was decent.

The frequency response looks like it could be improved by adding a chamber in front of driver, effectively turning them into over-ears. A while back I did a quick FEM-model to analyze the difference between the hd660s and the hd700 (as they use the same driver but different cups), and did so by introducing a 4cm long and like 7cm in diameter chamber in-front of an ideal driver.
hd660s vs hd700.png

The green curve with the chamber looks to be a pretty good correction curve for the GL400. (Blue curve is a much thinner chamber with the same diameter)

May 17, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #6,109 of 7,153
Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #6,110 of 7,153
I see there was some discussion on the GL400 (which i haven't heard). So, I thought I'd share my review of the GL600 here. TLDR: fantastic build quality. Potentially very comfortable with some bending and pad rolling. Warm and pleasant but fairly Lo-Fi sound.

Gold Planar GL600_4.jpg

May 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,111 of 7,153
@crabdog I think I readed somewhere that someone changed inside damper material or removed it to improve the sound quality. May be worth a try.

May 19, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #6,112 of 7,153
@crabdog I think I readed somewhere that someone changed inside damper material or removed it to improve the sound quality. May be worth a try.
I know a lot of people were claiming that with the Thieaudio Phantom. I tried with that and the difference was negligible + it introduced extra unwanted resonance/ringing.

I haven't heard of anyone modding the GL600 but if I start to see people claiming a miracle fix I will test it myself. Otherwise, I prefer to review products as they come in the box, which is why I also never use EQ on anything I'm testing.

May 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #6,113 of 7,153
Thanks! I’ll see what I can find!

Edit: Turns out visions.ca has the Marantz version for $58 CAD right now, with free shipping. En route, and thanks for the suggestion!

Chiming in a little late, but I picked up the MPH-2 from Visions a few months back for a similar price and they have become my current favourite closed back headphones. I had been listening to more neutral or bright sounding headphones for a long time that listening to the warmer MPH-2 felt quite nice. The soundstage and imaging is also quite good for gaming I have found.

They are bit on the bassy side but you can easily eq that down a bit and they respond quite well to the adjustment.

May 19, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,114 of 7,153
I know a lot of people were claiming that with the Thieaudio Phantom. I tried with that and the difference was negligible + it introduced extra unwanted resonance/ringing.

I haven't heard of anyone modding the GL600 but if I start to see people claiming a miracle fix I will test it myself. Otherwise, I prefer to review products as they come in the box, which is why I also never use EQ on anything I'm testing.
Yup. Measuring is always nice to do. Easier to see unnecessary resonance. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to mod planars. I like to myself always mod every headphone. I usually do some simple mods that anyone can do to damper some peaky high frequencies and sometimes to make it more clean sounding.

Could u provide some measurings of the GL600?

May 19, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #6,115 of 7,153
Yup. Measuring is always nice to do. Easier to see unnecessary resonance. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to mod planars. I like to myself always mod every headphone. I usually do some simple mods that anyone can do to damper some peaky high frequencies and sometimes to make it more clean sounding.

Could u provide some measurings of the GL600?
I don't have a rig for headphones, only IEMs.

May 21, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #6,116 of 7,153
Hey guys, anything better than Bluedio TM for bluetooth at $20?

Btw i'm still waiting for the isk mdh9000, it's been a month since i bought and didn't arrived yet.

May 21, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #6,117 of 7,153
I checked out Bluedio TM on Amazon.com, and it looks pretty good.
It has a decent amount of bass.
I don't think the earpads are removable, but most people don't care about that.
It's dirt cheap on Aliexpress, but I don't have any experience with that pair of headphones.

May 22, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #6,118 of 7,153
I saw some unbranded planars from aliexpress. anyone has experience with them? they seem to be priced at sub $400.

May 23, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #6,119 of 7,153
These "Music Master"-planars caught my attention, it would be interesting to know could they be any good. I might be crazy enough to order them some day, except I dont have enough/too much money to start drawing lots are they worth nowhere near the asking price ($999!!!)... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001058546549.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.9fd02e0eMB4ymK

They look good though, supposedly custom made by order:

H2d2bbb73252a4e96b6b73fc9d8eeb0c8X.jpg

Hd283f628cfd74f91b0ebc471d563b7568.jpg

MUSIC-MASTER-108MM-900-High-Impedance-200-Ohms-Planar-Double-Fluxor-Hifi-Music-Wooden-Headphone-Headset.jpg

Zero reviews, no website (brand called "Ostry" was mentioned in specifications which is a real brand but their website included only two sub-$100 in-ears...), claims that they rival HD 800, LCD3, HE1000... Have anyone won a lottery recently? :yum:

May 23, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #6,120 of 7,153
Huh? I would just spend that money and time to learn how to mod do a better job :wink: If this is the real frequency response...
Ha3b43196bfbd4ad2bb70adf419326f03u.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back