Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 2, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #6,076 of 7,153
NIce! Looking forward to some feedback! I saw that one myself, but didn't end up pulling the trigger. Hopefully, it's "MaxFun"! :)

I wasn’t sure whether to do it or not, I’ve seen it for several days and kept ignoring the impulse but gave in yesterday finally to it because the curiosity got the better of me 😂

May 2, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #6,077 of 7,153
I expect a photo of you similar to this one:
612bJt-zuuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
LOL.. well, if I looked like her, I would 😂😂😂

I will, though, upload pics of the unit itself 😌

May 2, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #6,079 of 7,153
I wasn’t sure whether to do it or not, I’ve seen it for several days and kept ignoring the impulse but gave in yesterday finally to it because the curiosity got the better of me 😂
LOL! That's exactly what I've been doing! Hahaha!

May 2, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #6,080 of 7,153
do you have those? They spec pretty well for $40! AptX-LL makes it great for videos / TV, multi-point even? Dang.

I have a clone. I have the Ghostek SoDrop 2's. I love them. Some of the best-sounding headphones I've ever owned. But the Ghostek are $30 more. I'm ordering a set of the EP650s cause I chew up headphones. Very heavy user.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #6,081 of 7,153
I have a clone. I have the Ghostek SoDrop 2's. I love them. Some of the best-sounding headphones I've ever owned. But the Ghostek are $30 more.

I don’t know if Ghostek has changed anything since a few years ago, but I tried a pair of Ghostek Raptures and I thought they were nothing special.

The rectangular pads didn’t really feel all that comfortable. Maybe if I had a Robert the Robot head they may have fit better.

FAB6C9E6-9256-4613-83D2-D50C40C7C3C3.jpeg

Also, the sound seemed pretty average and nothing special. Especially for the ‘graphene’ drivers Ghostek hyped up. They didn’t seem any better than the various Bluedio headphones I owned, which were 1/4 of the cost.

However, in the last few years Bluedio has really gone into the crapper. So the next time my kid needs Bluetooth headphones, I had planned to look elsewhere. If you think Ghostek deserves another look, I am certainly open minded about it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #6,082 of 7,153
2497A67A-883F-48CA-AF77-29363F15D2FC.jpegEEF1848F-3C2A-4CB2-A664-0B9B794B4975.jpeg2FF7D1D6-5F44-481F-A7A0-8822C25A6DEB.jpeg
Yes they change color for different reasons... when pairing and it’s always lit when playing audio, then if you pause, it stays lit for about 3 seconds then blinks on and off and then stays on then powers off entirely after a few minutes of inactivity.

feels cheap, but quite lightweight and comfortable. Sound quality ... still deciding, rather decent, but it’s no HiFiMAN DEVA, but that’s good for other reasons (portability).

It does have multipoint, though, which is unexpected, but nice that it does. I can confirm it connects with AptX to my LG Tribute Royal and MacBook Pro, but it does not list AAC as supported and so on my iPhone XS, it was presumably using SBC, but I could not tell much difference casually between AptX and SBC, honestly.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #6,084 of 7,153
I don’t know if Ghostek has changed anything since a few years ago, but I tried a pair of Ghostek Raptures and I thought they were nothing special.

The rectangular pads didn’t really feel all that comfortable. Maybe if I had a Robert the Robot head they may have fit better.

Also, the sound seemed pretty average and nothing special. Especially for the ‘graphene’ drivers Ghostek hyped up. They didn’t seem any better than the various Bluedio headphones I owned, which were 1/4 of the cost.

However, in the last few years Bluedio has really gone into the crapper. So the next time my kid needs Bluetooth headphones, I had planned to look elsewhere. If you think Ghostek deserves another look, I am certainly open minded about it.
We all have different ears. I think the Ghostek Sodrops sound amazing, especially for the price.

So does this guy:

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #6,085 of 7,153
We all have different ears. I think the Ghostek Sodrops sound amazing, especially for the price.

So does this guy:

Where does the Sodrop compare to the Rapture in their lineup?

May 3, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #6,086 of 7,153
I'm returning the Maxfuns, they creak way too much. The sound is actually quite "good" although they are not blowing me away, but they are very comfortable and have good features, but they messed up in that cheap build and I can hear very loud creaking with head or mouth movement, it's distracting.

May 3, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #6,087 of 7,153
I'm returning the Maxfuns, they creak way too much. The sound is actually quite "good" although they are not blowing me away, but they are very comfortable and have good features, but they messed up in that cheap build and I can hear very loud creaking with head or mouth movement, it's distracting.
With respect to sound, how would you compare it to the HE-560, the T50RP Mk3 and the LCD-1?

May 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #6,088 of 7,153
With respect to sound, how would you compare it to the HE-560, the T50RP Mk3 and the LCD-1?

The HE-560 wipes the floor with the Maxfun, but I never expected that level of performance anyway with an under $200 wireless planar, so that was unsurprising. Detail retrieval, imaging, soundstage, instrument separation are far better on the HE-560.

Compared to the LCD-1, they lag there, too, the LCD-1 are more natural sounding, more open sounding significantly and with far better treble and imaging than the Maxfun. The Maxfun are listed as “open” headphones but really they are far closer to semi-open, they sound less closed than fully closed but noticeably more closed in than the LCD-1.

Compared to the T50RP MK3, the T50 have better detail retrieval, better mid-range and better treble extension.

May 3, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #6,089 of 7,153
The HE-560 wipes the floor with the Maxfun, but I never expected that level of performance anyway with an under $200 wireless planar, so that was unsurprising. Detail retrieval, imaging, soundstage, instrument separation are far better on the HE-560.

Compared to the LCD-1, they lag there, too, the LCD-1 are more natural sounding, more open sounding significantly and with far better treble and imaging than the Maxfun. The Maxfun are listed as “open” headphones but really they are far closer to semi-open, they sound less closed than fully closed but noticeably more closed in than the LCD-1.

Compared to the T50RP MK3, the T50 have better detail retrieval, better mid-range and better treble extension.
Interesting choice of language for the T50RP MK3... are you suggesting the highs are too piercing at stock? Would you suggest Dekoni Hybrid or Dekoni Blue pads as a simple change?

That also seems like a huge mark against their timbre as well? I'm current looking over picking up a pair of Fostexs while I wait for better pricing on the Takstar HF-580.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #6,090 of 7,153
Hi folks!

I hope this is the right place for a Head-Fi noob question.

I’m not new to headphones, but I’m pretty new to this whole Chi-Fi thing. My own current headphones include Audeze LCD-3, Klipsch HP-3, some cheaper Hifiman (sort of Chi-Fi?). My IEMs include Etymotic ER4SR and some CA Vegas.

I like the idea of something new and interesting, and of value for money, so I’ve played a bit with
Chinese IEMs. I have some BGVP DMG (a bit disappointing) and some KZ AS10 (better, they’re pretty fun!) right now and I’ve tried a few others, but never any Chinese headphones.

I’d love to try some out, and I’ve been picking through this very large and rather overwhelming thread. Thanks for all the great info!

All that to ask: what do you knowledgeable folk suggest as the pinnacle of price:quality ratio for ChiFi headphones? I’d love to try 1-3 sets, price isn’t really an issue BUT I’d love to try the “best for the money” - please help me satisfy my curiosity! Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back