Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #6,046 of 7,153
Interesting find! One of the cheapest full sized planar magnetic headphone. You can get this on the aliexpress too.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/gold-planar-gl600

Impedance 22ohms
Sensitivity 100dB
THD 0.25%@1KHZ/100dB SPL
Frequency 6Hz-50KhHz
Driver Nano Diaphragm planar driver
Weight 375g
Cable 1.5meter OFC 4 core cable

GOLDPLANARGL600_7_1024x1024.jpg
I'm expecting gl400 to arrive next week. I was adamant on not buying more headphones but curiosity got the best of me. $75 planar is something never seen before.

V-8blW4BMH2_cNUgFzym.jpg

It's a shame they use same housing as many cheapo headphones but despite it's looks it's a rugged all metal build. I've had some headphones with that design.

Gold planar might be oem for monoprice. I red somewhere that drivers are different but headphones do look very similar.
unnamed (1).jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #6,047 of 7,153
I'm expecting gl400 to arrive next week. I was adamant on not buying more headphones but curiosity got the best of me. $75 planar is something never seen before.

V-8blW4BMH2_cNUgFzym.jpg

It's a shame they use same housing as many cheapo headphones but despite it's looks it's a rugged all metal build. I've had some headphones with that design.

Gold planar might be oem for monoprice. I red somewhere that drivers are different but headphones do look very similar.unnamed (1).jpg
Nice :) I can't wait to get ur impressions. There is also more expensive Thieaudio Phantom. Probably not worth the money because we so many good cheap alternatives and I myself rather buy cheap planar magnetic and mod it. They probably almost all have the problem in the 2-4kHz area that should be lifted and not veiled.

I'm now interested of these furry earpads. Anyone know is there any similar?
61HyI3WQWcL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6,048 of 7,153
So, had to change the earpads from stock on the SMS STREET DJ "Over-Ear", as they were just too uncomfortable for anywhere over an hour.

The stock earpads are secured by double sided tape and plastic clips; they were fairly easy to remove.

The earcups themselves are sized such that I was able to put some of the perforated SIVGA earpads over them and still have room for the 3.5mm slot. I was also able to fit some Meze 99 earpads over them as well. Sound signature is a bit more balanced throughout, but I'll probably do some pad rolling.

The drivers appear to be Beryllium.
IMG_2497.jpgIMG_2499.jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #6,050 of 7,153
If be willing to bet they’re titanium plated.
I'll take that. :wink:

So far, I've found the Brainwavz Round PU earpads work the best, both in terms of comfort and sound. They're a little loose, although fit decently over the earcups. Once I'm wearing them, it's not loose, they seal well, and work great.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,051 of 7,153
Hi - new member, but one that gotten through almost all pages of this thread of impressive posts. The dedication and knowledge is outstanding!

A relatively unsurprising first post: advice on buying new HP’s. What I am looking for is something to listen to at home, using a Dacmagic or Peachtree nova 150. Over ear is my preference and preferably closed due to omnipresent family, but open could be an option. I listen to a variety of music, but these would be more for jazz, country, singer songwriter stuff, rather than modern hiphop, pop and electronic.

What I’ve listened to:
I own the AKG K702’s and rather like their sound but can’t use them because of the extreme discomfort they cause right below my ears/upper jaw, already after a few minutes. Guess my head is too small??

At work/commuting I have the Momentum wireless M2 - really like them, but ofc not as open/airy as the AKG’s, not as detailed and not the same soundstage.

I also auditioned the Hifiman Sundaras, and really enjoyed the sound in all ways, but exactly the same pressure pain as with my 702’s, so that can style is obviously out of the question.
My budget is below $300. Could consider two “budget” purchases, one open and one closed, but would prefer one really good one.

So: suggestions much appreciated!

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #6,052 of 7,153
Hi - new member, but one that gotten through almost all pages of this thread of impressive posts. The dedication and knowledge is outstanding!

A relatively unsurprising first post: advice on buying new HP’s. What I am looking for is something to listen to at home, using a Dacmagic or Peachtree nova 150. Over ear is my preference and preferably closed due to omnipresent family, but open could be an option. I listen to a variety of music, but these would be more for jazz, country, singer songwriter stuff, rather than modern hiphop, pop and electronic.

What I’ve listened to:
I own the AKG K702’s and rather like their sound but can’t use them because of the extreme discomfort they cause right below my ears/upper jaw, already after a few minutes. Guess my head is too small??

At work/commuting I have the Momentum wireless M2 - really like them, but ofc not as open/airy as the AKG’s, not as detailed and not the same soundstage.

I also auditioned the Hifiman Sundaras, and really enjoyed the sound in all ways, but exactly the same pressure pain as with my 702’s, so that can style is obviously out of the question.
My budget is below $300. Could consider two “budget” purchases, one open and one closed, but would prefer one really good one.

So: suggestions much appreciated!
Philips Fidelio L2 (semi-open-back)
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Fidelio-semi-Open-Headphones-L2BO/dp/B00F4P7NG0
For open-back would recommend Fidelio X2 or SHP-9500 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SH...s=SHP9500&qid=1587145226&s=electronics&sr=1-1) ...but I guess if You get discomfort from K702, then they will be probably too large in cups size. Though,
if You have opportunity, then try out SHP-9500 - it`s a gem for its price vs. sound quality .

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #6,053 of 7,153
Philips Fidelio L2 (semi-open-back)
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Fidelio-semi-Open-Headphones-L2BO/dp/B00F4P7NG0
For open-back would recommend Fidelio X2 or SHP-9500 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SH...s=SHP9500&qid=1587145226&s=electronics&sr=1-1) ...but I guess if You get discomfort from K702, then they will be probably too large in cups size. Though,
if You have opportunity, then try out SHP-9500 - it`s a gem for its price vs. sound quality .

+1

As you can tell from my profile, I am quite fond of Philips headphones. For the money, they offer an excellent balance between good sound and good quality materials.

The Fidelio L2 is my latest purchase, and it’s great. Like a baby Fidelio X2.

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #6,054 of 7,153
+1

As you can tell from my profile, I am quite fond of Philips headphones. For the money, they offer an excellent balance between good sound and good quality materials.

The Fidelio L2 is my latest purchase, and it’s great. Like a baby Fidelio X2.

Thanks both of you - really appreciated! I thought about Fidelios before, and the semi-open design could possibly be exactly what I’m looking for. How does the L2, X2 and SHP-9500 compare soundwise? I think I can listen to the X2s easily here in Sweden, but the other two needs to be bought ”blind”.....

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #6,055 of 7,153
Thanks both of you - really appreciated! I thought about Fidelios before, and the semi-open design could possibly be exactly what I’m looking for. How does the L2, X2 and SHP-9500 compare soundwise? I think I can listen to the X2s easily here in Sweden, but the other two needs to be bought ”blind”.....

The L2 is more of a v shape than the other 2, as in more of a consumer oriented tuning. It is also more compact, with smaller pads (a little smaller than over ear and a little bigger than on ear). The L2 is more of a portable headphone.

The X2 is a giant headphone, and super comfortable and roomy. Like a big comfy oversized easy chair. It has a wider soundstage and more open sound. It’s got a nice warm analog sound, like a nice tube amp.

Both the L2 and X2 are more premium build, with a lot of metal and high quality plastic. That’s why they are in the Fidelio line.

The SHP9500 is kind of in between. It’s all plastic. The stock pads are kind of hard and uncomfortable, and the best performance out of the SHP9500 is when HM5 replacement pads are used. The size is more compact than the X2 but bigger than the L2. The 9500 sound is more midrange oriented IMO, but it does depend on the pads used. Since the 9500 can utilize HM5 pads, the world is your oyster because you can use many pads to tweak/tune the sound: sheepskin, velour, pleather, angled, fabric, micro velour, hybrid pleather/velour, etc.

All 3 are good options though. Note the price is different between them. So your budget would come into play. If you do get the 9500, I would personally budget extra for pads.

I’ll also mention that all 3 have removable cables, so they can be upgraded as well. The stock cables on all 3 are pretty meh.

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #6,056 of 7,153
The L2 is more of a v shape than the other 2, as in more of a consumer oriented tuning. It is also more compact, with smaller pads (a little smaller than over ear and a little bigger than on ear). The L2 is more of a portable headphone.

The X2 is a giant headphone, and super comfortable and roomy. Like a big comfy oversized easy chair. It has a wider soundstage and more open sound. It’s got a nice warm analog sound, like a nice tube amp.

Both the L2 and X2 are more premium build, with a lot of metal and high quality plastic. That’s why they are in the Fidelio line.

The SHP9500 is kind of in between. It’s all plastic. The stock pads are kind of hard and uncomfortable, and the best performance out of the SHP9500 is when HM5 replacement pads are used. The size is more compact than the X2 but bigger than the L2. The 9500 sound is more midrange oriented IMO, but it does depend on the pads used. Since the 9500 can utilize HM5 pads, the world is your oyster because you can use many pads to tweak/tune the sound: sheepskin, velour, pleather, angled, fabric, micro velour, hybrid pleather/velour, etc.

All 3 are good options though. Note the price is different between them. So your budget would come into play. If you do get the 9500, I would personally budget extra for pads.

I’ll also mention that all 3 have removable cables, so they can be upgraded as well. The stock cables on all 3 are pretty meh.

You’re really selling me on the X2’s. It sounds like something I’d like - and that would be something clearly different than my Momentum. The price difference (to Sweden) is negligible between X2 and L2 (but the 9500 is half the price though as u say).

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #6,057 of 7,153
You’re really selling me on the X2’s. It sounds like something I’d like - and that would be something clearly different than my Momentum. The price difference (to Sweden) is negligible between X2 and L2 (but the 9500 is half the price though as u say).

So I have the Momentum over ear 1.0, which are different than your 2.0. But I like my Momentums.

However, if I had choose the X2 or X2HR would be the top choice. It is huge though, so don’t expect to be able to wear it outside.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #6,058 of 7,153
So I have the Momentum over ear 1.0, which are different than your 2.0. But I like my Momentums.

However, if I had choose the X2 or X2HR would be the top choice. It is huge though, so don’t expect to be able to wear it outside.
So, had to change the earpads from stock on the SMS STREET DJ "Over-Ear", as they were just too uncomfortable for anywhere over an hour.

The stock earpads are secured by double sided tape and plastic clips; they were fairly easy to remove.

The earcups themselves are sized such that I was able to put some of the perforated SIVGA earpads over them and still have room for the 3.5mm slot. I was also able to fit some Meze 99 earpads over them as well. Sound signature is a bit more balanced throughout, but I'll probably do some pad rolling.

The drivers appear to be Beryllium.
IMG_2497.jpgIMG_2499.jpg
Save your money. The headband SUCKS.

IMG_2500.jpg

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #6,059 of 7,153
O1CN01LuhKRd1bycHnogXrP_!!2249153534.jpg
Bought this "Mr. Stupid's" 50mm Tesla Driver Headphone, and turned out I was the stupid one...
It looks a lot more decent than the picture, but the sound is not qualified at all. The highs are veiled, the mids are muffled, the bass doesn't have any slams. What pissing me off was the left driver was damaged so it'd be buzzing when the mids came in.
I took off the pads and kept the cable, other parts of it had gone to the trash can.

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #6,060 of 7,153

Bought this "Mr. Stupid's" 50mm Tesla Driver Headphone, and turned out I was the stupid one...
It looks a lot more decent than the picture, but the sound is not qualified at all. The highs are veiled, the mids are muffled, the bass doesn't have any slams. What pissing me off was the left driver was damaged so it'd be buzzing when the mids came in.
I took off the pads and kept the cable, other parts of it had gone to the trash can.

The cable looks really nice, so at least there’s that.

Are you gonna put a different driver in, to salvage the headphone? The shell looks perfectly fine. It’s got a nice and open design, so with the right driver it could be good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back