Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #5,792 of 7,153
2 very good observations there:
  1. Comfort - I'm just saying that the angle of my ears on my head requires cups that pivot, that's all. Otherwise, I generally find on-ear to be quite comfortable if the clamping pressure is moderate.
  2. What's in my list - Sadly, I've only found one recommendation in this thread for on-ear. All the other recs have been full-sized. I've asked for more on-ear, but I guess they're just not popular here. *shrug*
If your budget can stretch to it, you might want to look into the ThinkSound On2 if Drop.com ever do another shipment, as I think it went for $70-$80.

You've also got the option of the Koss KPH30i for $20 on Drop (monthly purchase cycle) if you want a nice casual on-ear for commuting.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #5,793 of 7,153
2 very good observations there:
  1. Comfort - I'm just saying that the angle of my ears on my head requires cups that pivot, that's all. Otherwise, I generally find on-ear to be quite comfortable if the clamping pressure is moderate.
  2. What's in my list - Sadly, I've only found one recommendation in this thread for on-ear. All the other recs have been full-sized. I've asked for more on-ear, but I guess they're just not popular here. *shrug*

I would take a look at the Takstar ML 750 if you want on-ear. About $50, and while I don’t think anyone here has them or reviewed them, on the internet I found a positive review of them in Spanish (I read the machine translation).

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #5,794 of 7,153
If your budget can stretch to it, you might want to look into the ThinkSound On2 if Drop.com ever do another shipment, as I think it went for $70-$80.

You've also got the option of the Koss KPH30i for $20 on Drop (monthly purchase cycle) if you want a nice casual on-ear for commuting.

I was thinking about the Thinksound before I read your post... I have the ON1. Recently replaced the pads because the stitching on my On1 had split. Too much foam inside? Thinksound has closed their business so probably no more Drops. We found this out when looking for new pads. Had to order replacements from China (also available on Amazon for a few more dollars). They worked out fine and did not ruin the sound (Jabra replacement pads).

Maybe a used On1 or On2 is available. They are comfortable and they swivel every way possible (which I find annoying actually)

The announcement from the company https://thinksound.com/

I have had my ON1 for over 3 years. Ordered from Massdrop but Thinksound actually did the shipping.

R0016181.JPG

Here is a different view showing the new pads alongside the originals that split open. I think the new ones are actually slightly more comfy.

R0016153.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #5,795 of 7,153
On-ears, eh? I'm bit of a fan of on-ear design. Over the years I've had a few.

- Fischer Audio Fa-004, Brainwavz HM5. These go by load of other names. You can get them quite cheap. These are not that fancy but they sound quite good. Comfort is quite decent (no swivel) so I think it's out then. Still, worthy consideration. They used to sell for $100 and people considered it a bargain. You can get maxell and other rebrands for like $10. Crazy value.
Fischer-Audio-FA-004.jpg

Kef M500

This here is my personal favorite. It cost like $300 new but these days you can score a new for less than $100 if you're lucky. Look into used ones. It's a damn fine headphone. For on ear it is spacious sounding, well balanced...and well. What can I tell you. I've had headphones that cost $2000 but on the travel I turn to Kef and I don't puke my heart out. It's more than acceptable for an average consumer. I think it is better than B&W P7, M&D MH40 and only and allmost as good as Audeze Sine. It is very comfortable, looks cool on head and its durable as they get. It's all leather and aluminium. If you can get one. Get this. I've had hundreds of headphones and M500 is one of the few that get a solid 5/5 recommendation from me. It's a fricking lovely headphone!

KEF-M500.jpg

Audeze Sine

Ok, not exactly what was asked for. But since Sine can be bought for $150 used it's not way off the mark. It is afterall the ultimate on-ear headphone. I think it sounds bit weird on the treble and it's not the most spacious sounding heapdhone but for potential (used) price of $150 it is a solid choice. I know original budget was $50. But heck, stretch it a bit and you got a headphone that is end game for any sane person. It's leather and metal, quality all over. Personally I found it a bit uncomfortable so I can't give it my highest recommendation but fit is of course very personal. If you have the money, go for it. It's better sounding than M500 but not as comfortable. Pick your poison.

audeze-sine-4.png

Kitsound Milano

Ok, this is a funny one. Don't laugh though. This is a headphone that has a lot of different rebrands. I have exibel version. Best know version is kitsound Milano I think. It's build by some chinese company called vsonic or something. Do some google if you want. That same compady had another on ear built for dick smith. VT-68 if I recall. VT-68 is a decent on ear also, but not good enough to mention here. Anyway this "milano" is insane value. It is built mostly of metal, earpads are soft as they get and cups have this nice rubber coating. Cable is detachable. Most of my headphones come and go but I still have a set of these :) It's a warm sounding headphone with plenty of bass and huge soundstage. Soundstage is exceptional for a on ear, perhaps better than on M500 or Sine. These normally sell for like $30 and for that price it's a no brainer. You don't have to settle for that gold color, other rebrands have more mature color choices.

71GlnWsR0EL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Martin Logan Mikros 90

These things were like the most hyped thing some years ago. And like with most over hyped headphones nobody talks about these anymore. Originally these cost something like $399 but they got discounted to $100 and thats when these became a temporary hit. It is a very good headphone though. I think it is as good or slightly better than Kef M500 and only by a small step behind Audeze Sine. You can grab a used for $50-100. It's really good looking headphone, most of it is built out of metal and covered in leather. I love the design. One of the prettiest headphones I've seen for sure. These have a very dynamic, lively sound with average soundstage and excellent imaging. However the cup swivel is too reactive and it kind of tends to fall out of your head. Clamping force is also very high. These are one of the few headphones I find uncomfortable, and as such I can't really recommend these. It also has issues with earpads falling apart and headband system becoming loose. Shame, it is damn pretty headphone.

martin-logan-mikros-90-press-image-1000x667.jpg

Master & Dynamic MH30 and MW50

I'll go against every rule on head-fi and suggest MH30 even though I have not heard one. However I used to have MH40, the big brother. It was a nice, warm and a bit bassy headphone. How master $ dynamic builts their headphones is par none. It's crazy really. Many here have propably owned a headphone that has some stitched leather or something, but when you first touch master & dynamic headphone it is an instant wow factor right there. Way those guys work with leather, the details they engrave in metal. It's crazy. Really, you have to feel it to believe it. MH40 was quite mediocre in the end but if one can get MH30 for less than $100 I'm sure it is a good buy. I had the bluetooth version MW50 which I though was excellent. My head did not agree with the swivell function. Shame, MW50 allmost dethroned M500 .

s-l640.jpg
master-dynamic-mh30-on-ear-headphones.jpg

Msur N350

This headphone is well representive of the value good chi-fi can offer. Wooden headphone that has most parts built mostly out of metal. I can actually wear it as over ear, but it is very discreet looking which is important to me. Truth be told, I don't have that precise memories of how they sound. I still have one though. I'm more familiar with msur N550 which is one of my alltime favorite headphones which you can't buy anywhere these days. N350 has the same drivers. N550 is an absolute killer value for a headphone. Performance wise it is way up there with the likes of Fostex TH-X00 and easily better than bad expensive headphones such as Beyerdynamic T5P, Bowers & Wilkins P9 or Ultrasone Signature Pro. Even though N350 is not at the same level it is much related that the driver tech alone makes it a worthy buy. Beryllium baby!

Original-MSUR-N350-Noise-Isolating-HiFi-Wooden-Metal-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-With-Beryllium-Alloy-Driver-Portein.jpg

JVC HA-S400

This is propably one of the most overhyped headphones ever, imo. It's not a bad headphone. It has nice clarity to the sound but it does nothing exceptionally well. I've owned these two or three times and I never quite got the popularity. It surely is better than your random small headphones but I think those Fischer-Audio/Brainwavz headphones easily beat JVC's.

713i05UXwRL._SL1500_.jpg

So in conclusion. Go for Audeze Sine if you can up your budget. Save something in the long run as you would allready have an audiophile approved headpone. If that is not an option look for a deal on Kef M500. You can't go wrong with that. If that is not an option go for Msur N350. It has driver tech most major manufacturers only dream about. I hope this was somewhat helpfull :)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #5,796 of 7,153
On-ears, eh? I'm bit of a fan of on-ear design. Over the years I've had a few.

- Fischer Audio Fa-004, Brainwavz HM5. These go by load of other names. You can get them quite cheap. These are not that fancy but they sound quite good. Comfort is quite decent (no swivel) so I think it's out then. Still, worthy consideration. They used to sell for $100 and people considered it a bargain. You can get maxell and other rebrands for like $10. Crazy value.
Fischer-Audio-FA-004.jpg

Kef M500

This here is my personal favorite. It cost like $300 new but these days you can score a new for less than $100 if you're lucky. Look into used ones. It's a damn fine headphone. For on ear it is spacious sounding, well balanced...and well. What can I tell you. I've had headphones that cost $2000 but on the travel I turn to Kef and I don't puke my heart out. It's more than acceptable for an average consumer. I think it is better than B&W P7, M&D MH40 and only and allmost as good as Audeze Sine. It is very comfortable, looks cool on head and its durable as they get. It's all leather and aluminium. If you can get one. Get this. I've had hundreds of headphones and M500 is one of the few that get a solid 5/5 recommendation from me. It's a fricking lovely headphone!

KEF-M500.jpg

Audeze Sine

Ok, not exactly what was asked for. But since Sine can be bought for $150 used it's not way off the mark. It is afterall the ultimate on-ear headphone. I think it sounds bit weird on the treble and it's not the most spacious sounding heapdhone but for potential (used) price of $150 it is a solid choice. I know original budget was $50. But heck, stretch it a bit and you got a headphone that is end game for any sane person. It's leather and metal, quality all over. Personally I found it a bit uncomfortable so I can't give it my highest recommendation but fit is of course very personal. If you have the money, go for it. It's better sounding than M500 but not as comfortable. Pick your poison.

audeze-sine-4.png

Kitsound Milano

Ok, this is a funny one. Don't laugh though. This is a headphone that has a lot of different rebrands. I have exibel version. Best know version is kitsound Milano I think. It's build by some chinese company called vsonic or something. Do some google if you want. That same compady had another on ear built for dick smith. VT-68 if I recall. VT-68 is a decent on ear also, but not good enough to mention here. Anyway this "milano" is insane value. It is built mostly of metal, earpads are soft as they get and cups have this nice rubber coating. Cable is detachable. Most of my headphones come and go but I still have a set of these :) It's a warm sounding headphone with plenty of bass and huge soundstage. Soundstage is exceptional for a on ear, perhaps better than on M500 or Sine. These normally sell for like $30 and for that price it's a no brainer. You don't have to settle for that gold color, other rebrands have more mature color choices.

71GlnWsR0EL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Martin Logan Mikros 90

These things were like the most hyped thing some years ago. And like with most over hyped headphones nobody talks about these anymore. Originally these cost something like $399 but they got discounted to $100 and thats when these became a temporary hit. It is a very good headphone though. I think it is as good or slightly better than Kef M500 and only by a small step behind Audeze Sine. You can grab a used for $50-100. It's really good looking headphone, most of it is built out of metal and covered in leather. I love the design. One of the prettiest headphones I've seen for sure. These have a very dynamic, lively sound with average soundstage and excellent imaging. However the cup swivel is too reactive and it kind of tends to fall out of your head. Clamping force is also very high. These are one of the few headphones I find uncomfortable, and as such I can't really recommend these. It also has issues with earpads falling apart and headband system becoming loose. Shame, it is damn pretty headphone.

martin-logan-mikros-90-press-image-1000x667.jpg

Master & Dynamic MH30 and MW50

I'll go against every rule on head-fi and suggest MH30 even though I have not heard one. However I used to have MH40, the big brother. It was a nice, warm and a bit bassy headphone. How master $ dynamic builts their headphones is par none. It's crazy really. Many here have propably owned a headphone that has some stitched leather or something, but when you first touch master & dynamic headphone it is an instant wow factor right there. Way those guys work with leather, the details they engrave in metal. It's crazy. Really, you have to feel it to believe it. MH40 was quite mediocre in the end but if one can get MH30 for less than $100 I'm sure it is a good buy. I had the bluetooth version MW50 which I though was excellent. My head did not agree with the swivell function. Shame, MW50 allmost dethroned M500 .

s-l640.jpg
master-dynamic-mh30-on-ear-headphones.jpg

Msur N350

This headphone is well representive of the value good chi-fi can offer. Wooden headphone that has most parts built mostly out of metal. I can actually wear it as over ear, but it is very discreet looking which is important to me. Truth be told, I don't have that precise memories of how they sound. I still have one though. I'm more familiar with msur N550 which is one of my alltime favorite headphones which you can't buy anywhere these days. N350 has the same drivers. N550 is an absolute killer value for a headphone. Performance wise it is way up there with the likes of Fostex TH-X00 and easily better than bad expensive headphones such as Beyerdynamic T5P, Bowers & Wilkins P9 or Ultrasone Signature Pro. Even though N350 is not at the same level it is much related that the driver tech alone makes it a worthy buy. Beryllium baby!

Original-MSUR-N350-Noise-Isolating-HiFi-Wooden-Metal-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-With-Beryllium-Alloy-Driver-Portein.jpg

JVC HA-S400

This is propably one of the most overhyped headphones ever, imo. It's not a bad headphone. It has nice clarity to the sound but it does nothing exceptionally well. I've owned these two or three times and I never quite got the popularity. It surely is better than your random small headphones but I think those Fischer-Audio/Brainwavz headphones easily beat JVC's.

713i05UXwRL._SL1500_.jpg

So in conclusion. Go for Audeze Sine if you can up your budget. Save something in the long run as you would allready have an audiophile approved headpone. If that is not an option look for a deal on Kef M500. You can't go wrong with that. If that is not an option go for Msur N350. It has driver tech most major manufacturers only dream about. I hope this was somewhat helpfull :)

I totally agree with the KEF M500, and will also add the following below list of my favorite on ear headphones.

A few on the list can be bought as cheap as $40-$50 due their older release date. All are built solid, and many have premium metal build, leather, etc.
  • 1More H1707 triple driver (advertised as over ears but really on ear)
  • 1More MK801 (another one advertised as over ear but are really in ear)
  • Beyerdynamic DT-1350
  • Meizu HD50 (rock solid all metal build, tremendous value at $50)
  • Philips Fidelio M2L (Has a built in iOS lightning DAC). A non iOS version would be the Philips Fidelio M1
  • Sennheiser Momentum
  • Sennheiser Urbanite

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5,797 of 7,153
Kitsound Milano

Well, I certainly do not need more headphones... but....this one is only £19.99 on Amazon UK and it can be here tomorrow evening....

I have not found the one that you have and don't know the name of any other rebrands or what colors they might be. I kind of like the gold though... it looks darker... more bronzy or coppery. If it is horrible it can be sent back to Amazon... so... what to do.....

No brainer you say.... so, I have no brains...?

That was a great post... you certainly put a lot of work into that. I had not even heard of these before.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #5,798 of 7,153
I was thinking about the Thinksound before I read your post... I have the ON1. Recently replaced the pads because the stitching on my On1 had split. Too much foam inside? Thinksound has closed their business so probably no more Drops. We found this out when looking for new pads. Had to order replacements from China (also available on Amazon for a few more dollars). They worked out fine and did not ruin the sound (Jabra replacement pads).

Maybe a used On1 or On2 is available. They are comfortable and they swivel every way possible (which I find annoying actually)

The announcement from the company https://thinksound.com/

I have had my ON1 for over 3 years. Ordered from Massdrop but Thinksound actually did the shipping.

Here is a different view showing the new pads alongside the originals that split open. I think the new ones are actually slightly more comfy.

I had been keeping an eye on them in case there was another drop, so this must have happened in the last couple of months? Disappointing considering how well regarded the On2 was.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #5,800 of 7,153
Hey guys, what are the best over-ear for around 70 bucks in your opinion?

I recently bought an open box Fidelio X2HR for $75. Worth every penny, assuming you are looking for an open backed headphone.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #5,801 of 7,153
Kitsound Milano

Well, I certainly do not need more headphones... but....this one is only £19.99 on Amazon UK and it can be here tomorrow evening...

So... this arrived a few hours ago...

R0016200.JPG

I kind of like the contrast between the matt black and the bling y copper.

R0016202.JPG

Comfortable (for on ears) ... not too much clamp. Soft pads. Sounds good out of the box. What I hate is the cable... very microphonic and my iBasso DX120 does not like the mic.... sounded all weird and out of phase. I need to ask iBasso about that. I have experienced it with some other gear. Seems a four pole plug just does not make the correct contacts. I had to change to a generic cable that I had lying around. At least that got rid of the microphonics and I never use mics anyway. When I have a choice I always order the no mic option.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #5,802 of 7,153
So... this arrived a few hours ago...

I kind of like the contrast between the matt black and the bling y copper.

Comfortable (for on ears) ... not too much clamp. Soft pads. Sounds good out of the box. What I hate is the cable... very microphonic and my iBasso DX120 does not like the mic.... sounded all weird and out of phase. I need to ask iBasso about that. I have experienced it with some other gear. Seems a four pole plug just does not make the correct contacts. I had to change to a generic cable that I had lying around. At least that got rid of the microphonics and I never use mics anyway. When I have a choice I always order the no mic option.

I have the very same experience with my DX120 and PRO 82. The four pole cable with mic has really strange sound while normal 3.5 without mic that came with these headphones sounds fine.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #5,803 of 7,153
I recently bought an open box Fidelio X2HR for $75. Worth every penny, assuming you are looking for an open backed headphone.
What?!? Where from? How? For that price would grab one for myself alongside to X1.
Would like to try those with mods:
mod-vs-stock-r.png

Green = modified

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,804 of 7,153
What?!? Where from? How? For that price would grab one for myself alongside to X1.
Would like to try those with mods:
mod-vs-stock-r.png

Green = modified

Amazon US.

The price fluctuates all the time. The X2HR were ~$120-$129 (new) for a while, then it dropped to ~$99 (new) for a short period recently. I'm not sure what it is now.

I got my original X2 from Amazon.co.uk for $125 (shipped to the US) a few years ago, so be sure to try there as well.

You can set price alerts via camelcamelcamel. Then you'll be notified as soon as the price hits what you want.

BTW, what are those mods exactly?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back