Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5,806 of 7,153
I just bought a pair of OKCSC ZX2 from Amazon in an effort to get a pair of open back headphones that don't look as silly as my Audio Technica ATH-AD500. In this I have have succeeded, and I think they sound pretty nice as well. That said, the ear pads seem to be plain Jane foam and are kinda itchy. Any suggestions for replacements?

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,807 of 7,153
I just bought a pair of OKCSC ZX2 from Amazon in an effort to get a pair of open back headphones that don't look as silly as my Audio Technica ATH-AD500. In this I have have succeeded, and I think they sound pretty nice as well. That said, the ear pads seem to be plain Jane foam and are kinda itchy. Any suggestions for replacements?
Nah silly... OKCSC can do a pretty job at it too... Seen the ZX1? I have it. With same pads..
Itchy and very warm... But it sounds nice though.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #5,809 of 7,153
I like BrainWavz sheepskin pads for comfort.
I do not know if they make pads that are the right size though.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #5,810 of 7,153
I like BrainWavz sheepskin pads for comfort.
I do not know if they make pads that are the right size though.

Good idea - I use a pair of their pads on some ATH-M40x. That said, since these are open headphones, I'd need pads that work correctly with open headphones.

I just sent them an email to see if they have any suggestions.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #5,811 of 7,153
Been reading here for a while now, finally made an account.

I'm looking for a nice Chi-fi headset, to complement my DT990Pro. I use a Fiio E17 Aspen to power it, which I really like. A couple of my recent searches are:

OKCSC ZX-1
They've been recommended here a couple of times, but they are also two years old right now. Are these still one of the best hidden gems?

Blon B-8
Are these really the same as the SV006? They seem to be! If so, I think these are a nice pick to.

I other words: In the range up to $70, what are the GOD tier Chi-fi-sets nowadays? Preferably closed back, since my DT990Pro already is open. But I know the ZX-1 is kinda open and I'm still debating that one.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #5,812 of 7,153
Been reading here for a while now, finally made an account.

I'm looking for a nice Chi-fi headset, to complement my DT990Pro. I use a Fiio E17 Aspen to power it, which I really like. A couple of my recent searches are:

OKCSC ZX-1
They've been recommended here a couple of times, but they are also two years old right now. Are these still one of the best hidden gems?

Blon B-8
Are these really the same as the SV006? They seem to be! If so, I think these are a nice pick to.

I other words: In the range up to $70, what are the GOD tier Chi-fi-sets nowadays?

open or closed?

If open, you may want to consider the Sivga SV007

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,813 of 7,153
Good idea - I use a pair of their pads on some ATH-M40x. That said, since these are open headphones, I'd need pads that work correctly with open headphones.

I just sent them an email to see if they have any suggestions.

No idea if what I'm about to say would apply to this headphone, but here goes: I'm a fanboy of ZMF headphones. There are a number of open-back dynamic designs + a few closed backs. The designer of these headphones offers numerous made-in-house earpads of superb quality (but not cheap). Here's the thing:
  • He only ships (& recommends) standard, non-perforated earpads of various angles, depth, & materials w/his closed-back designs
  • And only ships (& recommends) perforated earpads of various angles, depth & materials w/ his closed-back designs
I own several ZMF headphones & can attest that perforated pads only sound good on the open-backs, and non-perforated pads only sound good on the closed-backs.

Beyond that factor--which I only found out about via owning ZMF HPs--I've learned the hard way to aim for aftermarket pads as similar in all dimensions as stock pads unless I'm trying to change the sound. Deviating from stock pad dimensions has consequences.

For example (just a hypothetical): if one replaces a stock 100 mm pad that is 1" deep w/a pad that's angled & 1.5" deep at steepest spot, the sound (not just tonal balance, but soundstaging) will change a great deal (and usually not in any acceptable manner). And if one were to change from pleather/lambskin to suede (or the reverse), there are often pretty significant tonal changes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #5,815 of 7,153
Blon B-8
I have the Blon B8, or actually the BossHiFi B8, which is the same thing.
I much prefer the ISK MDH9000 or one of its many clones.
They're cheaper, and better, in my opinion.
(Though the B8 is sexier looking.)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #5,816 of 7,153

Yup, pretty hard to beat the ISK MDH9000/clone bang for the buck.

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #5,817 of 7,153
I have the very same experience with my DX120 and PRO 82. The four pole cable with mic has really strange sound while normal 3.5 without mic that came with these headphones sounds fine.
Maybe that's because DX120 is a player, and doesn't support microphone.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #5,818 of 7,153

Alright, I'll take a look at that one to! Any particular clone that's the best one?

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #5,819 of 7,153
I will finish modding my HD-672 into "closed" headphone tonight - reason - it`s disturbing my co-workers.
If I don`t succeed enough, I might be considering also closed cans.

Could you tell where from to get cheapest Marantz version currently (EU and ordering from asia is ok)?
What IYO is good cheap closed can with similar sound signature to Fidelio X1 / X2 ?

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #5,820 of 7,153
I will finish modding my HD-672 into "closed" headphone tonight - reason - it`s disturbing my co-workers.
If I don`t succeed enough, I might be considering also closed cans.

Could you tell where from to get cheapest Marantz version currently (EU and ordering from asia is ok)?
What IYO is good cheap closed can with similar sound signature to Fidelio X1 / X2 ?

I'd like to know this to. Can't seem to find any of them for a good price in EU...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back