Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,608 of 7,153
To anyone deciding between the velour and pleather pads for the Marantz/lyx phones, I have both and the original pleather ones are better sounding and more comfortable.
I think the only one of these re-brands that needs new pads out of the box is the Akai 50X (which is why if you get them, make sure they are on sale pretty low...less than $30. You will need pads, that's around $10.00)

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,609 of 7,153
The Woodies "should" arrive tomorrow, but tracking still says Tuesday. They're in town, and there's zero reason they shouldn't go out in tomorrow's mail. I'm really looking forward to giving these a try.

Also, I continue to grow more impressed with my Akai 50X with velour pads. They pair nicely with the iDSD BL, and I really feel like I'm getting everything out of them I could. I could see a lot of people being happy with this sound, especially given how little it cost. It's also a fairly competent jack of all trades which isn't always easy to find.

As far as the DX1000 recommendation goes, I'd love to give those a try and have read up on them in the past, but prices can be quite a bit inhibitive unless I were to find a reasonably priced used pair. As not too much of my music is bass-oriented, I'd need to weigh head-time vs cost. What I really should consider doing is reading up a bit in the basshead thread to find a recommendation that will suit my needs as my focus would be bass with sufficient vocals. I also should take all my closed headphones and play with my new setup to see if anything I already have strikes me as up to the task. I've been using IEMs mainly for this spot, both my IE800 and Rose Pudding, but my ears aren't the biggest fans of IEMs in general, which lead me to start reading in this thread, as well as being curious of the quality/value due to the IEM version of this thread as well as the earbud thread.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,611 of 7,153
Status Audio CB-1 for $63 w/Prime, any thoughts? Pretty sure it's a relevant headphone at least.

All indications are that the Status Audio CB-1 is made by Somic, and available from them under the model name MM185. Sells for a bit less under the Somic brand right now on Amazon ($60). Haven't heard them personally, but have heard the open-back Somic V1, and felt the V1 were a good value (it was revised into the V2, and available in several brands as well).

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,612 of 7,153
All indications are that the Status Audio CB-1 is made by Somic, and available from them under the model name MM185. Sells for a bit less under the Somic brand right now on Amazon ($60). Haven't heard them personally, but have heard the open-back Somic V1, and felt the V1 were a good value (it was revised into the V2, and available in several brands as well).

Hmm, then again, I could pay a little more and get one of the more expensive woodies.

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,613 of 7,153
Hmm, then again, I could pay a little more and get one of the more expensive woodies.

Yes, you could...Sivga SV007s?

Did your inexpensive (fake) woodies arrive?

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,614 of 7,153
Just did finally, doing an initial listen right now. Does quite well with Flaming Lips on Shanling M1, although I am boosting the bass to see it's capabilities. It's bass is kind of at the upper limits of earbud range, so not for the typical bass seeker. With a +12 dB push, they're a bit north side of neutral, and enjoyable for me at least. For my tastes, they're just about where I like in this respect. For the price, they so far feel quite talented. Some instruments in orchestral work feel a touch veiled, but nothing detrimental, just not as forward as some of the earbuds I'm used to. For the cost, I'm quite happy. And yeah, I had to take a listen with the HD700 cable. So yep, I should have have no problem listening to this balanced with my VE cable.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,615 of 7,153
The Somic isn't a detachable cable and no Prime shipping, plus the CB-1 looks better IMO

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,616 of 7,153
To anyone that owns a Bluedio T3 or T3+, I detailed a few mods that would be of interest to all owners (mainly, improved sound).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blu...hone-review-by-mark2410.823736/#post-13706875
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blu...hone-review-by-mark2410.823736/#post-13706888

The 1st mod (ie driver mod) will also benefit other Bluedio models that use the same 57mm titanium driver (at least the T2 and T4 series, and possibly others). All of these 57mm titanium driver-based models suffer from the same bloated bass and distortion due to the driver magnet vents.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,619 of 7,153
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,620 of 7,153
No one in this thread has gotten a pair of msurs or liedchens?

Would like to get a MSUR N650 headphone. I just don't know if the near $100 price tag is justified. $50 and I would have been all over it. Once you start getting over $70 and definitely near $100 or over then it needs to be something special. Most of what I've bought in that price range are from brand name recognition as well as being good. An example would be the Philips X2. Most everyone in the audio world knows them and their price. The price I paid for them will continue to hold for a long time and are worth that. If I had to sell them I can expect to get good market value.

Not the same can quite be said for MSUR or most chi-fi headphones. Some, but not all. Hifiman has made it on to the world stage of audio equipment for example, but MSUR hasn't.

Most of us here in this thread are bang for the buck people. Especially for Chi-Fi stuff. I visit this thread to relish in the gems in the rough on the cheap. Like the Liboers I bought. I digressed a bit into why I haven't picked up the MSUR cans yet. Really want them, but not sure how much better they are than the Bosshifi cans, as an example, to justify the double the price cost for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back