Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #1,591 of 7,153
Mhm, on the outside a lot of headphones use the same hard felt/foam pad configuration but what matters most happens at the back side of the headphone, especially when you are dealing with closed can: Either you treat the chassis or the driver frame, and most cheap-ass manufacturers treats neither, so....
Well, in my experience, while treating the back of the driver most of the time will bring positive change, treating the back of the cup is a much more delicate effort that you can't just mess around: in most case, it will change the sound for worse.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,592 of 7,153
If you are interested in the HD650 why didn't you order the HD6XX from massdrop? They are the same thing and much cheaper.

I need an even better deal than that. I need a "this is the chance" deal before ordering (like with the X2). In other words, at least half price.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,593 of 7,153
I need an even better deal than that. I need a "this is the chance" deal before ordering (like with the X2). In other words, at least half price.
I wish they had made significant changes to the X2 HD so that a year from now we could be talking about a Massdrop Fidelio X2xx or whatever.
A different color scheme, hybrid pads, and 2 cables: one 'consumer' with a one button remote and one 'pro' that is balanced. If you had a $300-$400 Fidelio HD and a $150-200 Massdrop Fidelio I think guys like me and Slater would be down. As it stands I don't see myself getting a set when these are gone, but you never know. I guess it's a good thing I don't actually NEED another set of headphones, I just like them. :)

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,594 of 7,153
I wish they had made significant changes to the X2 HD so that a year from now we could be talking about a Massdrop Fidelio X2xx or whatever.
A different color scheme, hybrid pads, and 2 cables: one 'consumer' with a one button remote and one 'pro' that is balanced. If you had a $300-$400 Fidelio HD and a $150-200 Massdrop Fidelio I think guys like me and Slater would be down. As it stands I don't see myself getting a set when these are gone, but you never know. I guess it's a good thing I don't actually NEED another set of headphones, I just like them. :)

If they were smart, they would have presented the X2HD as the X3. Maybe in addition to changing the pads and headband, make a few additional changes - color, different grille, tweak some tuning foam so they can claim the "sound is different", etc.

Similar to what Xiaomi did with their HiFi headphones (although they changed the drivers from beryllium to a graphene).

On a related note, I have never been impressed enough by Massdrop to actually buy anything from them. Other than a few of their "exclusive" items, their pricing really isn't that great. They make it seem like a 5-10% discount is come kind of deal of a lifetime. And often, they sell items at basically the same price as Amazon.

Yeah, yeah, I know they're a business and have to make money too. But until I see much higher discounts coming out of MD, I'll continue to find deals elsewhere.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,595 of 7,153
If they were smart, they would have presented the X2HD as the X3. Maybe in addition to changing the pads and headband, make a few additional changes - color, different grille, tweak some tuning foam so they can claim the "sound is different", etc.

Similar to what Xiaomi did with their HiFi headphones (although they changed the drivers from beryllium to a graphene).

On a related note, I have never been impressed enough by Massdrop to actually buy anything from them. Other than a few of their "exclusive" items, their pricing really isn't that great. They make it seem like a 5-10% discount is come kind of deal of a lifetime. And often, they sell items at basically the same price as Amazon.

Yeah, yeah, I know they're a business and have to make money too. But until I see much higher discounts coming out of MD, I'll continue to find deals elsewhere.
Exactly. Make the 'new' version actually new and there are people who will gladly still buy the 'old' one as well. As far as Massdrop, I agree, they haven't really come up with anything so stellar that I had to get it, Having said that, I think something like the Fostex one they did recently (RP50 I think?) was a good buy, I just wasn't in the market for something that I would immediately have to start looking for a better amp for it. But I think that headphone, with the small improvements they made was a really good purchase if you wanted an entry level planar, but didn't want to have to also buy pads and cables just so you could listen to the damn thing. Basically, you were getting the headphone at the 'street price' the old model had been hovering at with some basic mods that most people had been doing. Or something like the AKG K7xx...my understanding is this is some top shelf 'anniversary' edition of theirs, tuned for better bass and given a little more 'consumer friendly' sound and then dropped down to a small fraction of their original price. That's a very tempting proposition for me, to own what was once a TOTL headphone for a fraction of the price. (obviously the same can be said for the HD 6xx)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,596 of 7,153
Liboer ordered. For the price I can take the risk. And now the usual month of waiting...

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,597 of 7,153

Well MassDrop is fiarly bad on pricing for most items for sure. Still, it is the occasional item that is worth the look. It was my understanding that the Sennheiser HD6XX, and pretty much any of the Fostex headphones were all excellent purchases in comparison to the normal prices. When the HD6XX was released the HD650 was still going for $500 everywhere. So getting the same thing for $200 is a pretty significant discount. The HD650 still goes for $300+ everywhere else and the $300 is on a deal. Mostly closer to $400 at most retailers these days.

Everything else that I've seen on MassDrop though wasn't worth the price. You can get the same items for the same price or usually even better pricing elsewhere. I did go for that Hifiman HE4XX for $170 and will see how that turns out from Massdrop. At worst I can sell it for what I paid for it right after I get it if it sounds too similar to the 400i that I have.

Liboer ordered. For the price I can take the risk. And now the usual month of waiting...

That wait sucks, but hopefully you won't be disappointed with the sound of them.

As for the Fidelio X2... They weren't really on my radar until the $150 drop. Even then they weren't quite there. More than a few less than stellar reviews, like DSM3

As well as the frequency response charts had me not looking too closely at these. They seem to fall into a love or hate relationship with some people. That being said I like the sound of the SHP9500 even with the bass roll off below 60Hz which the X2's are suppose to have as well. While I was contemplating the $150 price, I got them once I realized that they are discontinued and wont be around anymore. So I figured that if I didn't like the headset, I could resell it for what I paid for it at the very least.

Still debating on those SIVGA 007s though. If they were around $50 I would have picked them up like the other bosshifi version I have. At $80, it just makes me hold off a bit longer.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,598 of 7,153
The velour pads for my 50X has arrived, and comfort is certainly better. It still gets a bit warm, but that's probably due to the closed nature not allowing it to breathe. I'll have to give it time, but I think I'll be happy with the decision. With my new dac/amp, the idsd black label, they sound quite terrific for the price, giving it just a little more fun than it had before.

Also, the woodies have arrived in the US, but might take another week before I have them in hand. I'm really curious about them as the initial impressions are quite positive.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,599 of 7,153
The Pioneer HRM-6 have been my go to now. Don't even touch the 9500S or M560. The Pioneers just do everything right IMO.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,602 of 7,153
I know initial impressions on the M560 were a little lackluster. Overall what do you think of it?
I like them because they can take a lot of power and sound clean. I have the Sony XB pads on them. Only use Open Back. I think they are well worth the price because pretty much every genre sounds good on them. I will probably go back to the M560 this weekend and listen to them and get a refresh of them. The Pioneer are light, comfy, easy to drive, more portable and the overall sig just feels right to me, nothing is too overdone, treble is rolled off but its not really subdued. Very smooth. Bass is present but it doesn't intrude itself. There is a depth to the music that immerses me and I can listen to them easily.

M560 are a bit bulky and need to be run open back to sound the best so that's their disadvantage. Their sound is stellar for the price though. They sound more "open" than the HRM-6 of course, the HRM-6 stage is no slouch.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #1,604 of 7,153
Simply, my goal would be to have a full sized headphone that's proficient with bass production, both in quality and quantity so I'd have something to compliment the more balanced/neutral sounding hd700.

Jvc ha-dx1000 would be worth a shot If you are willing to spend quite a bit of money. Plenty of bass, huge soundstage for a closed can. Lush mids and just enough sparkle on the highs to keep things interesting. Imo dx1000 is like a super hd650 with More soundstage and bass but still with improved clarity. If you end up hating it dx1000 should be quite easy to sell because it is getting more rare all the time.

I've auditioned hd700,hd800/hd800s,gs1000e,he400i and owned t1,t5p,and Sony mdr-cd3000. So far only cd3000 and stax sr507 allmost dethroned dx1000 but in The end dx1000 is the one that remained in my possession.

User twerk described The dx1000 better than I can and I feel exactly like he does.

These DX1000 are so good. They really do have magic to them which you will not get with other headphones. The bass and midrange is amazing, and the treble is dialed just right to make them a totally non-fatiguing listen. Vocals just pop, so smooth and liquid. And the soundstage engulfs you in sound, absolutely incredible on a totally closed back, sealed headphone.

I've heard a lot of other headphones. Mostly, they compete with each other in the resolution department. They try to be as clean and clear as possible and tune down the bass and crank the treble to get those details. They try to measure with the least distortion and best numbers. The DX1000 says screw that, and goes for maximum enjoyment. There is a lushness, a warmth and resonating powerful sound here that is very pleasing. But there is also sparkle in just the right spots, they sparkle just right on top of the beautiful, powerful bass and silky midrange.

The DX1000 defines the word musical. They are for enjoying the music. They are captivating, warm and lush with a sound I've not heard from anything else. Really special headphones they made here. I always am about enjoying the music, and it seems this was the entire goal here... to make the most musically pleasing headphone. Shame so many other headphones don't share the same goal.

Edit: big plus is that dx1000 actually isolate quite well. Alot better than any fostex and audio technica headphones that are called closed but are more like semi open regarding sound leakage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back