Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,576 of 7,153
If you had not said closed, I would have said Sivga. Hard to know sometimes what people want when they say bassy. Some people think bassy means boomy.

Now you have made me want to get out my Denon AH-D600s

You and your headphones :wink:

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,577 of 7,153
The price is 130 GBP which translates to 167 USD (on Amazon UK).

Odd. It translated to $150usd for me, and that included shipping from UK to the US.

You sure you don't mean 167 Canadian dollars?

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,578 of 7,153
If you had not said closed, I would have said Sivga. Hard to know sometimes what people want when they say bassy. Some people think bassy means boomy.

Now you have made me want to get out my Denon AH-D600s

Simply, my goal would be to have a full sized headphone that's proficient with bass production, both in quality and quantity so I'd have something to compliment the more balanced/neutral sounding hd700. As I'm not properly driving the Ori yet (should be able to do so on Tuesday), I cannot say if it'd be capable to my desired amount, or if it'll essentially be an upgrade to the hd700 and still need that slot filled for some of my more bass-centric music. I could just buy better pads for my Momentum over-ear as it seems quite suited to the task, but I had put mine together more as a curiosity as I had found someone selling it with no cable or pads for cheap. After the recently purchased pads and using a cable I already had, I have an enjoyable sounding Momentum, but the pads were not anywhere close to as big as hoped which forced it to become a true on-ear. At least the pads are sheepskin, and I've only spent around $50 for it total.

The reason for saying closed is the closest two open headphones I've heard that came close to my needs but not quite met are the Hifiman HE-400 and the modded SennGrado, with the SennGrado only being slightly behind the HE-400 in regards to bass.

If I wanted to just go inexpensive and pure-basshead, I've read that the Superlux HD-631 can handle a silly amount of boost, but that'd most likely be like the old Sony XB series which was all muddy bass with no vocals, which wouldn't suit my tastes. Then again, I only owned the XB500, so for all I know the XB1000 could have been perfect.

I almost picked up the D600 a couple times, but just didn't feel like I needed it at the time.

Really though, it'd just be nice to be able to pick up a closed for isolation as well as bass production, killing two birds with one can. I have several reasonable closed cans, like the Akai 50x, Tate & Bauer, Parrot Zik, UE 9000, but they're all a little closer to neutral than I'd be after for this purpose.

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,581 of 7,153
I feel your pain, I cured mine with Denon D7200, Fostex/Massdrop TX00 and Meze 99 Classics :)

oh yeah... I don't know if I have mentioned my Meze 99 Neo in here. Love the bass on those. But,,, this is supposed to be the Chinese/Asian thread. I don't think there is any way to put Meze in that catagory.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,582 of 7,153
Odd. It translated to $150usd for me, and that included shipping from UK to the US.

You sure you don't mean 167 Canadian dollars?

the VAT would be taken off at check out and that's how it's $150 at the end.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,583 of 7,153
I have been on pretty much the same path as you. I've been following the prices, watching what happens with the 'new' version etc....I have a feeling I would REALLY like them & I had it in my head if they went significantly below $200 and the timing is right I would jump on them.... I had honestly not put much thought into them lately. I am pretty happy with my L2 and 9500s, they cover a lot of bases really well.
I can't find it but in a thread somewhere they were talking about the 'new' X2 and my comment was something along the lines of " Sooo they gave it HD pads?"
I think your instincts are correct in grabbing these now, it's probably a price that won't come back, and if the used market up until now is accurate you will either
1) just keep them and love them forever and ever...because it seems like the people that buy them hang on to them
2) turn around and sell them for the $150 you paid, possibly more...or even trade them for something really cool on head-fi.
my point is, either way, you have to be happy with the choice.

Yup. I purposely didn't get other similar cans, like the 9500 or the L2, for that very reason. I was always holding out for the X2, because I always felt like the other cans would have just been a stopgap measure of what I REALLY wanted (the X2). Not that those cans were 'bad' per se, but my heart has been set on the X2 for years now. So I just decided to hold out. I guess now that I finally got a pair at a steal I'm living the dream LOL

I'm still bummed that my $0.05 Akai 50X turned out to be too good to be true though. That would have been a story for to tell my grandkids someday - "I remember when headphones were 5 CENTS, and we walked 10 miles to school uphill in the snow." haha

The only other can on my ultimate bucket list is the Sennheiser HD650 or possibly the 800. Maybe someday a too-good-to-pass-up deal with come along...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #1,584 of 7,153
Haha... and you? who has the most dizzying list?

Not me, but getting there I guess.

Yup. I purposely didn't get other similar cans, like the 9500 or the L2, for that very reason. I was always holding out for the X2, because I always felt like the other cans would have just been a stopgap measure of what I REALLY wanted (the X2). Not that those cans were 'bad' per se, but my heart has been set on the X2 for years now. So I just decided to hold out. I guess now that I finally got a pair at a steal I'm living the dream LOL

I'm still bummed that my $0.05 Akai 50X turned out to be too good to be true though. That would have been a story for to tell my grandkids someday - "I remember when headphones were 5 CENTS, and we walked 10 miles to school uphill in the snow." haha

The only other can on my ultimate bucket list is the Sennheiser HD650 or possibly the 800. Maybe someday a too-good-to-pass-up deal with come along...

Yah those $0.05 Akais were a scam. Lost only 5 cents but oh well. If you are interested in the HD650 why didn't you order the HD6XX from massdrop? They are the same thing and much cheaper.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #1,585 of 7,153
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #1,586 of 7,153
"
Treble is a lot more extended, and while it can get a little bit hotter compares to stock, it is never piercing. No sibilance so far.
Mid doesn't change much, but because the treble and bass response changed, it seems quite a bit more forward with better vocal comprehension. Lot less v-shaped."

the cure for this might be some cotton 'fluff' or batting inside the cups. Even just a cotton ball pulled apart and fluffed up and put inside the cups will filter out a little bit of the hotter treble...
This same mod has been passed around for the HM5/NVX/Yoga rebrands and it seems to work well. I did it on the set I wound up giving to my girlfriend, she actually preferred the more sibilant treble so I left it out on hers.
this shows you what I am talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/0iWid6i.jpg
Appreciated mate, but I doubt I would need to treat the treble: Previously the b8 was quite lacking in treble, and this mod solved it quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, stock b8 is a bright headphone, but it has a soft, easy-listening treble suited for long-season of listening: this mod brings up the treble, making cymbal crisper and more extended without making it a chore to listen to and without changing the timbre, so....yeah, I am loving it, now that I can actually use it for monitoring and mixing.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,587 of 7,153
Appreciated mate, but I doubt I would need to treat the treble: Previously the b8 was quite lacking in treble, and this mod solved it quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, stock b8 is a bright headphone, but it has a soft, easy-listening treble suited for long-season of listening: this mod brings up the treble, making cymbal crisper and more extended without making it a chore to listen to and without changing the timbre, so....yeah, I am loving it, now that I can actually use it for monitoring and mixing.
that's good it suits you. I figured I'd pass it along in case it was a little hot for you (or if anyone else tried the same mod.)
I am a fan of these types of damping mods, I think one of the areas where re-brands or clones like the B8 differ from the 'original' Denon MM400 (not sure if I got the model number totally right) is the higher priced headphones put more effort into internal mods and damping. I've looked at the pictures and the drivers on the Denons use a similar rubbery foam that the Fidelio L2s do.It's like a thin sandwich where the plastic surround of the driver attaches to the cup It seems to keep vibration of the housing down to a minimum. There is not a squeak or rattle in the way the L2s are put together and the way the driver attaches reminds me of that. The B8s and variants, from the pictures I have seen, are lacking that level of internal sort of controls on random/unwanted vibration of the cups.

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #1,588 of 7,153
9959249.jpg

here's the denon...

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,589 of 7,153
Philips_L1_photo_angleddriver.jpg

this is actually the L1, but it still illustrates the point....this is the difference between something like the denon vs the B8...but a little bit of tinkering and you can mimic some of those refinements yourself. Ok, getting down off my soap box now.

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,590 of 7,153
9124737.jpg

ok...couldn't find a B8 autopsy photo, I know I have seen them out there but this NSUR illustrates the point...there are no gaskets between hard surfaces to minimize vibration transfer like you see with the more expensive headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back