Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 3, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #977 of 7,153
My bet is on ISK HD9999 and the many clones of an earlier model (forgotten it's name :xf_eek: ) Lyxpro etc.
Pharmaboy wrote some posts about them as I recall.

Your recall is good! But it's actually the ISK MDH9000 & its many clones that I've praised in this thread. The clones are 99% identical to the MDH9000 visually; the only differences are minor cosmetic things like accent colors. Sonically, I found that 3 samples of the clones (2 X Marantz MPH-2's; 1 X LyxPro HAS-30) all sounded identical. I like the look & feel of the Marantz the best...

I was just listening to my MPH-2's this morning. They haven't gotten much head-time lately (doing a lot of listening to balanced HPs + amps). Anyway, I put on the MPH-2's this morning through one of my favorite single ended amps (Lake People G109-A)...and it sounded so good! These are really excellent headphones: they have very pleasing, full bass that's perhaps a bit north of neutral, but that's what I like. They're closed back, comfortable, light, with pads that are totally satisfactory to me, wouldn't think of changing them. The overall sound is quite balanced with excellent mids & highs and pretty decent soundstaging for a closed back design.

They're also cheap. My favorite of the clones, the Marantz MPH-2's, are just $49 w/free shipping at MusiciansFriend.com:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/marantz-mph-2-professional-studio-headphones

(you can't beat that)

Rather than link you to my own comments, here are comments by someone who did more in-depth comparisons w/these headphones than I ever could:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...i-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread.585356/page-275

May 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #980 of 7,153
The ISK MDH9000 & ISK HD9999 are totally different designs.
  • The MDH9000 (like all its clones) is closed back w/a unibody/padded headband.
  • The HD9999 is open back, with frame & underbelt (suspension-type) headband. It appears to be modeled on one of the mid-range AKG designs.

The sound of each is rather different. If you link to that in-depth review and comparison in my earlier post from today, you'll see the contrast between the brighter, more midrange- and soundstage-centric HD9999 vs the flatter, bassier sound of the MDH9000 (and its clones).

ISK MDH9000

ISK MDH9000.png

Marantz MPH-2 (one of the 5-6 clones of the ISK MDH9000):

Marantz MPH-2.jpg

ISK HD9999:

ISK HD9999.jpg

Note: the HD9999 comes with 2 sets of pads, a thinner one that produces brighter sound w/less bass; and this thicker, more plush earpad said to produce less bright treble and more bass.

Attachments

• Marantz MPH-2.jpg
    Marantz MPH-2.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #982 of 7,153
@Pharmaboy The HD9999 is closed back too.
Mostly studio monitor vs dj-style here, I'd say.

D'oops! Thanks for the correction.

Even if they're all CB, the tuning is certainly described as being somewhat different. "Studio monitor vs DJ style" is a perfect way to describe it.

Though I've often said in this thread that IMO the ISK MDH9000 clones sound plenty flat & accurate enough for audio monitoring (despite the slight elevation in entire bass range--not a "bump" or peak, just a shallow elevation). I find the entire frequency range to be there, right where you know it should be, no gross peaks or valleys.

May 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #985 of 7,153
Great comparison! I was going to pull the trigger on the Marantz, but musician's friend seems to be out until 6/1. Probs for the best. Am interested in the MDH8500 based on looks alone. I'm looking for a solid comfortable match with my Zishan Z1 for going on long walks. One might infer from the item title that it is a 2011 clone perhaps? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ISK...lgo_pvid=55a827f8-11ee-4c7f-940a-16788b218a09

May 4, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #986 of 7,153
Great comparison! I was going to pull the trigger on the Marantz, but musician's friend seems to be out until 6/1. Probs for the best. Am interested in the MDH8500 based on looks alone. I'm looking for a solid comfortable match with my Zishan Z1 for going on long walks. One might infer from the item title that it is a 2011 clone perhaps? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ISK...lgo_pvid=55a827f8-11ee-4c7f-940a-16788b218a09

yeah it totally looks like a ISK HP 2011, or a Takstar Pro80. Would be nice to know if there is a sonical difference between these and the MDH8500, especially between the HP2011 and the MDH8500 since they are both ISK headphones.

May 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #987 of 7,153
It's great to see reports about ISK headphones overcoming much more expensive headphones. @Pharmaboy reported that the Marantz MPH-2 (ISK MDH9000) beats the sound of the Fostex TH-X00 and the one of the Philips Fidelio X2. @demo-to said that the ISK HD9999 beats the Philips A5 pro and the Akg k553 in terms of sound.

If anyone else has any of these ISK headphones, and there are some much more expensive, how do you compare their sound?

@jux Tpose You have compared the Marantz MPH-2 with the ATH-M50X. Since you work in a studio, do you have other, more expensive headphones? How do you compare them with the ISK mdh9000 clones?

Thanks in Advance.

May 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #988 of 7,153
It's great to see reports about ISK headphones overcoming much more expensive headphones. @Pharmaboy reported that the Marantz MPH-2 (ISK MDH9000) beats the sound of the Fostex TH-X00 and the one of the Philips Fidelio X2. @demo-to said that the ISK HD9999 beats the Philips A5 pro and the Akg k553 in terms of sound.

If anyone else has any of these ISK headphones, and there are some much more expensive, how do you compare their sound?

@jux Tpose You have compared the Marantz MPH-2 with the ATH-M50X. Since you work in a studio, do you have other, more expensive headphones? How do you compare them with the ISK mdh9000 clones?

Thanks in Advance.

Can you please post a link to the comparison between the Fostex, X2's and ISK/Marantz, I must have totally missed that post.

May 5, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #989 of 7,153
I'd love to see that link as well. I always have to talk myself out of buying the X00, and would like to see if this is a reasonable alternative.

May 5, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #990 of 7,153
guicnovaes, Just sold my M50X's because I found them un-usable. Much too V-shaped. The build vs the Marantz is almost exactly the same. The Marantz sound MUCH more even throughout, and don't pierce my eardrums like the M50x's.

I don't have high end headphones to compare to. I use monitors to mix, but I reference the mixes and track with the Marantz, Sony 7506's, Apple Ear pods, and then various other sound sources.

The most used headphones are the Marantz and Freeboss, because the mids are accurate and they allow me to get a pretty good idea what the low end is doing in a mix (extremely helpful). Also, I can wear them for hours (and do, outside the studio.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back