Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #556 of 7,153
  So Pharmaboy, looks like your favorite out of your ISK brand lineup is the ISK MDH9000 variations...how is the soundstage on 9000 compare to ISK openback types?

Wish I knew--but I've never heard any Somic open-back. My Fidelio X2 are the only open/open-back 'phones I've heard.

Recently was quite tempted to pick up the Status Audio OB-1 (their re-badge of the Somic V2). But got the CB-1 instead, which is a pretty good closed back IMO (F.S. now)

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #557 of 7,153

It probably comes down to whether you want an open-backed design (V2) vs a closed-back design (ISK MDH9000). You should always start by finding reviews anywhere/everywhere:

Somic V2:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/809323/somic-v2-headphone-review-by-mark2410
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4nqyoj/review_of_the_somic_v2_my_favorite_sub50/
http://mammoth1.co.uk/index.php/2016/05/somic-v2-review-an-outstanding-build-with-an-impressive-sound/

And a video review of 2 Status Audio headphones, 1 of which is a re-badge of the Somic V2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRSv_4ylVI

ISK MDH9000:
Much harder to find reviews for this closed back design, which apparently is the source for up to 5 different re-badges (ie,identical headphones w/different brandname). I own 2 of those, the LyxPro HAS-30's and the Marantz MPH-2's, both of which I've commented on extensively in this thread.

I've never heard the Somic V2 or its clone, the Status Audio OB-1. However, I am very impressed with the ISK MDH9000 design, both for its balanced, competent sonics--with lots of quality bass; and for its above average comfort. The Marantz' have become my default daily headphone, despite being 1/4 the cost of the really wonderful, semi-open back Fidelio X2's (which I do love and listen to occasionally).

My vote would be the ISK just based on my own positive experience. But admittedly, I've never heard the Somic V2.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the isk. By the way, it seems there's a new rebrand: Freeboss MDH9000.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #559 of 7,153
I'm glad to have stumbled onto this thread.  I think the only Chinese can I've had is the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000, which was great for the price paid ($55).

My current favorite is the Fidelio X2.  Is there anything that competes or even bests it for $200 or less?

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #560 of 7,153
I'm glad to have stumbled onto this thread.  I think the only Chinese can I've had is the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000, which was great for the price paid ($55).

My current favorite is the Fidelio X2.  Is there anything that competes or even bests it for $200 or less?

I never use my kingston cloud II (pro 80) anymore since i got the mdh-9000's, just for gaming on xbox live and thats pretty much it. I do prefer my hifiman 400i but cant use them all the time since they leak sound like crazy. The 400i is not really in the same price as the x2 but they had a sale where i picked them up for $350 cad which is close to $200 USD and they are amazing. Currently waiting on the little dot i+ as standard solid state amps are not the best pairing with the 400i. You can check them out and might be able to snag a pair of leftover black friday stock, im pretty sure they are a league ahead of the x2s from what ive heard but i cant say personally.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #561 of 7,153
  Hi Pharmaboy, in this case, how do you find between CB-1 and MDH9000, are they very similar tonically?

Their similarities are far more numerous (and sonically meaningful IMO) than their differences:

Similarities:

-- Both closed back designs

-- Both have stock pads that are high in comfort & not needing of replacement IMO...though I've tried the HM5 extra thick non-angled pleathers on an ISK rebrand, LyxPro HAS-30, with interesting results.

-- Both have relatively balanced, unexaggerated sound across the full spectrum in my experience. Good, solid bass that's not hyped to the point where it intrudes on midrange; a relatively informative/detailed midrange, not strikingly recessed as you find on some closed back designs; and highs that convey a lot of information w/o being at all peaky/bright.

-- Both have relatively good (for closed back design) soundstaging. Not best-in-class, but enough so you don't obsess over it.

Differences:

-- the CB-1 is slightly smaller in every dimension than the ISK & its  offspring. A little scaled down.

-- I have a large head, so maybe it's just me, but the CB-1 just fits me adequately w/each earcup extended to the max (not the case at all w/the ISK & rebrands)

-- And the CB-1's pads are really excellent, IMO the best feature of this design: thick, slightly angled, round outer shape and oblong inner earhole, maximizing size of the opening for best comfort.

I decided to put the CB-1 F.S. only because it is so similar to the Marantz MPH-2, an ISK MDH9000 clone. If I didn't have the Marantz, I'd be pretty happy w/the CB-1.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #562 of 7,153

When I got my X2's, I was less knowledgeable/experienced in headphones, amps, & desktop audio. I didn't understand then where the X2's fit in the headphone--I just knew they were described in terms that seemed ideal for my listening tastes (ie, comfortable, "lush," euphonic-representation of bass, midrange, and highs, rather than clinical & brignt; and a relatively spacious sounndstage). They proved to be exactly as described; I loved them the 1st time they were on my head.

Since then, most of headphones I've played with were closed-back Chinese designs in the $50-$80 range (ie, Yenona's; Marantz MPH-2 + the nearly identical LyxPro HAS-30; and Status Audio CB-1). Because these are closed back designs, physically smaller than the X2's, they have a rather different feel & sound. IMO the ISK clones are the best of this group, but at best, they're just different from the X2's, certainly not better. Maybe a little easier to manage physically (the X2's are quite large & fairly heavy).

I did have a pair of headphones in the same price class as X2's, the legendary basshead design, JVC HZ1K's. But that headphone proved very changeable in sound & finicky about amps & sources. They were also borderline uncomfortable even w/this miserable stock pads replaced by HM5s. Sold the JVC's about a month ago. I don't see them as being in the same league as the X2's, no matter how similar their price (and yes, the JVC's could put out astonishing bass at times).

Maybe others here have more experience with the $150-$250 range of headphones than me.

I see the X2's as being kind of unique: a LOT of value for somewhat more money than the inexpensive closed back designs; have an airy, warm, relaxing sound signature with high comfort & bullet-proof construction.

Suffice to say that for me to get headphone quality distinctly different from, and hopefully, better than my current headphones, I had to buy a ZMF Omni/Ori (planar design currently on order). But that's 4+ X the cost of the X2's.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #563 of 7,153
I never use my kingston cloud II (pro 80) anymore since i got the mdh-9000's, just for gaming on xbox live and thats pretty much it. I do prefer my hifiman 400i but cant use them all the time since they leak sound like crazy. The 400i is not really in the same price as the x2 but they had a sale where i picked them up for $350 cad which is close to $200 USD and they are amazing. Currently waiting on the little dot i+ as standard solid state amps are not the best pairing with the 400i. You can check them out and might be able to snag a pair of leftover black friday stock, im pretty sure they are a league ahead of the x2s from what ive heard but i cant say personally.

How do you chat?

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #564 of 7,153
Hi guys, noob question here. I own 3 DAPs. A Walnut, Zishan DSD and Benjie S5. Just wondering if my DAP will have the juice to power up a can. Otherwise do i need a standalone amp in between?

And would really love if anyone can recommend a can that has the sound sig that i am looking for. I love bright sound and not much of a basshead, hence would love the soundstage to tilt towards the upper parts of the spectrum. Prefer closed backs and must have decent isolation and in black as i will be using it for commute.

Cheers!

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #565 of 7,153
Hi guys, noob question here. I own 3 DAPs. A Walnut, Zishan DSD and Benjie S5. Just wondering if my DAP will have the juice to power up a can. Otherwise do i need a standalone amp in between?

And would really love if anyone can recommend a can that has the sound sig that i am looking for. I love bright sound and not much of a basshead, hence would love the soundstage to tilt towards the upper parts of the spectrum. Prefer closed backs and must have decent isolation and in black as i will be using it for commute.

Cheers!
Don't think you'd need an amp with the Walnut. The Somic v2 sounds good with it, but open back so no good for you, hopefully someone can advise on one that matches up. I haven't tried yet with most of my over ear headphones. Takstar HD6000 sounded pretty good and isn't overly bassy. Mixed reviews here I think, but I like it. Not a massive soundstage, but probably to be expected with it being closed, as I'm used to earbuds.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #567 of 7,153

Cheers!

As @flamesofarctica  mentioned, the Takstar HD6000 may fit the bill. I have one F.S.--PM me if interested. That's it for the cheap alternatives I know of that fit your tastes.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 32 Ohm (closed back) is often described as a detailed headphone with non-basshead levels of bass and great clarity in mids/treble. It's $125 on Amazon. The pictures I've seen are all black/grey...rather handsome.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #569 of 7,153

As @flamesofarctica  mentioned, the Takstar HD6000 may fit the bill. I have one F.S.--PM me if interested. That's it for the cheap alternatives I know of that fit your tastes.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 32 Ohm (closed back) is often described as a detailed headphone with non-basshead levels of bass and great clarity in mids/treble. It's $125 on Amazon. The pictures I've seen are all black/grey...rather handsome.

Thanks bro! Will check it out. Too bad getting from u plus shipping is almost the same price as getting straight from AE (i'm from SG)

@flamesofarctica  thanks bro! Actually i was pondering if i need a standalone headphone as i was thinking of getting a nose blocking headphone and wear it over my earbuds since it gives good isolation.

Been spending alot these days as i just started my journey on audio equipment hence trying to reason myself not to get another one. Lol!

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #570 of 7,153

Cheers!

The Walnut is very powerful, even drive my 600Ohm Sextett's fairly well so you will not need an amp for it.

Just to add..You've got an amp you can use with the Benjie anyway - the Walnut in amp mode :wink:

Good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back