Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 15, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #211 of 7,153
Update on the Marantz Pro MPH-2's: I've had them burning in for ~80 hrs now, and tonight plugged them into the Lake People G109A (a truth-telling HP amp) and took them for a spin. And wouldn't you know--they sound  very good.

These $39.99 headphones basically do nothing outright wrong, and get many things right. They're less "U-shaped" in frequency than my other cheap headphone fave, the Yenona's. Indeed, an expressive/accurate midrange is the Marantz' best quality IMO. With them, I hear a wider range of subtle sounds, especially percussion and various  effects buried in softer instrumental tracks, than I have with any other headphones (the Yenona's, TH-X00's, Fidelio X2's, JVC HZ-1000's). 

Comfort was decent to begin with and got better after they were stretched open during burn-in; their initially bothersome clamping pressure has been reduced to a large extent. The center/underside of the headband does press somewhat on the top of my head--not extreme, but noticeable, the kind of thing that may become annoying. Bet if I put a ZMF Pilot Pad on these headphones, they'd be above average in comfort. The 1" deep pleather pads are relatively firm and seal well against the head. Eventually I may try different pads, but there really isn't any comfort or frequency range anomaly that needs correcting here.

Overall, I'm impressed with the top-to-bottom clarity and balance of these headphones. They give plenty of detail without sounding bright or objectionable. There is no drama, no obvious frequency issues here--just straight ahead music reproduction. The Marantz' bass sounds relatively flat and uncolored. On one or two cuts, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps they're a bit bass-shy (their bass is surely more controlled than the Yenona's, which can get boisterous/boomy on an amp that boosts low frequencies). But when I played cuts that have a great deal of bass energy & impact, suddenly it was all there on the Marantz'. They don't show off the bass, as some closed headphones do; they don't sound bottom-heavy (this may be why their midrange is so clear). But they transmit all the bass that's on recordings.

The worst thing I can say about the Marantz' is they don't produce much of a soundstage. That's not a big surprise for closed headphones. Still, the equally closed Yenona's produce more "space" and a feeling of 3D sound placement. This is a performance quality that may be modified by angled earpads...won't know unless I experiment.

Re sturdiness & long-term reliability: others here commented on questionable build quality of the Yenona's. I don't really agree with that assessment, but there is a lightweight quality to the Yenona's that is very different from the Marantz' somewhat heavier design. While all "DJ-style," articulating earcup designs should be handled with care to prevent stress on swivel hardware, the Marantz' feel relatively strong to me. I suspect they'll be trouble-free. Though the cord is detachable, its proprietary locking mechanism at the earcup jack probably means aftermarket cords are out of the question. I regard this cable design as a reliability plus.

I'll compare the Marantz' and Yenona's more in coming days. But it's already clear that, despite their similarities (closed, DJ-style design; 50mm drivers), these headphones have different natures. The Yenona's are the more "fun" headphones: bass is strong, impactful, and somewhat elevated; midrange a bit recessed; highs slightly forward (though they're hardly treble cannons). The Yenona's lack that last measure of control, but are definitely engaging, easy to like. The Marantz' are somewhat more composed and restrained--not as much fun, but sure-footed & reliable. They have a competent, unflashy quality that suggests they'd be very useful in studio monitoring work.

I think the Marantz Pro MPH-2's are very solid, good-sounding headphones, worth well more than the $39.99 I paid for them.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #212 of 7,153
well, I have tested some bluetooth receivers on the yenona, takstar 5500 and mdr-1a. A little surprised by the differences.

1.maceton wm4u: The clear winner, this thing is loud and bassy. It is supposed to have a bass boost feature but i dont notice any difference when activated. Not tested over longer time.

2.BlitzWolf® BW-BR1  Good sound and bass, thinner than than the generic one with easy controls. a little lower volume than generic and mw600.
3.mw600, good volume and sound. Not tested over longer time

4.generic 4.1 receiver like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Newest-Upgraded-Version-Bluetooth-4-1-Wireless-AUX-Audio-Stereo-Music-Home-Car-Receiver-Adapter/32646217574.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.121.YzRWjE&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10037_10054_10059_10032_10078_10079_10077_10073_10096_10070_10052_423_10050_10051_424,searchweb201603_2&btsid=ca506982-89dd-42ae-85ee-71941ed9966a

Good loud volume, not bad.

5.bluedio i6: low volume with 32ohm
6. MENCOM 005 bullet bluetooth: poor bass and general sound quality

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #213 of 7,153
(more listening to the burned in Marantz Pro MPH-2's)

These headphones are really quite good. No matter what genre of music I throw at them, they sort it out very nicely. These are composed, balanced-sounding 'phones.

The midrange continues to surprise. It's so clear & present (without being fatiguing) that I can "hear farther into" favorite recordings. Can't tell whether these headphones are more detailed than others I've tried, or their midrange is so clear that they only sound more detailed. Either way, I'm hearing all kinds of things in my recordings, and in a natural, un-hyped way. It's music I know extremely well, rendered a little more clearly than usual, without glare or brightness--quite a feat for headphones that cost just $39.99.

Percussion sounds terrific...no matter how dense all those transients become (for example, in Latin jazz with multiple percussion parts), they remain clear & distinct. These headphones just have to be good for studio monitoring.

They do bass very well, too There's plenty of bass, and it has impact; I believe I'm hearing some sub-bass. But without any overt bass "hump" to get in the way of the midrange, it becomes part of the overall balanced sound.

Soundstaging is the one flaw here. The Marantz' have very wide channel separation, plus a consistent "middle of the head" center image. But there's not a great deal of space around the different parts/players, as some other headphones can do.

The only kind of music I haven't tried yet is classical: massed strings, choirs, etc. That's a challenging test for inexpensive closed headphones. We'll see how they do (to be continued).

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #214 of 7,153
Pharmaboy so have the Marantz replaced the Yenonas as your favorites?

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #216 of 7,153
@Pharmaboy so have the Marantz replaced the Yenonas as your favorites?

Very good question. Think the answer is "no--not if I can help it." For one thing, because I'm still checking out the Marantz', which are proving more capable than I could have expected.

The other reason is the Yenona's are a state of flux: they've been sounding oddly brighter in past week or two, and that's puzzling. Changed cables back to the 1st aftermarket cable I'd used; it seemed to help. But then I got stared on  the Marantz and have been distracted. Have more listening to do w/the Yenona's to make sure this "getting brighter" thing isn't in my head or an artifact of a bad match-up w/one of my HP amps.

And taking a cue from @peter123, I have a pair of Alpha pads on order to try on the Yenona's (yes, it's nuts to put $60 pads on $60 headphones--I'm out of control). I've been jonesing for a good pair of angled pads, the really steep/thick kind (1.5" on the tall side)--and the only ones that will fit the round Yenona's are the Alpha pads. When I get them, I'll be very interested to hear what changes they make in the Yenona's sound. If the new pads rein in a little of that bass hump and/or flatten out the upper midrange/lower treble a bit, I might never take those 'phones off again.

Because the thing about the Yenona's is they're just plain fun. Maybe it's their light weight and great comfort; or that warm, impactful bass that gets me right where I live. Technically the Marantz' are better in some ways, and I really like them--but the Yenona's have that priceless "smile when you put them on" quality.

(more to follow)

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #217 of 7,153

That's the best price I've seen on the N650's. They're almost in my "what the hell, just buy them" comfort zone (ie, inexpensive headphones to play around with).

But I've read many comments on the N650, keep running across excessive brightness as an issue--all sorts of arcane mods people do to tame the treble, and so on.

Then there's your own (paradoxical) post about your particular example of the N650 not being bright: "By the way, I would not call the 650's bright. I'd say they're warm and musical. I'm starting to wonder if I have an updated or old version because the ear cups on mine look different to the ones on Ali. You can't see the inside in those pics but the outside of mine is vastly different."

If I knew I could get a model exactly like yours, I might be more tempted. But the chance of getting treble cannons that my tinnitus-plagued ears can't handle...that really pulls me up short here.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #218 of 7,153
I would not worry about the brightness that much. We all hear differently. We use different gears and also listening volume matters alot. I listen to headphones really loud and so I reach the uncomfortable level of highs more easily than someone who listens to moderate or low levels. What can be earpiercing on high volume can sound just like a nice sparkle on low volume.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #219 of 7,153

That's the best price I've seen on the N650's. They're almost in my "what the hell, just buy them" comfort zone (ie, inexpensive headphones to play around with).

But I've read many comments on the N650, keep running across excessive brightness as an issue--all sorts of arcane mods people do to tame the treble, and so on.

Then there's your own (paradoxical) post about your particular example of the N650 not being bright: "By the way, I would not call the 650's bright. I'd say they're warm and musical. I'm starting to wonder if I have an updated or old version because the ear cups on mine look different to the ones on Ali. You can't see the inside in those pics but the outside of mine is vastly different."

If I knew I could get a model exactly like yours, I might be more tempted. But the chance of getting treble cannons that my tinnitus-plagued ears can't handle...that really pulls me up short here.

One thing's for sure: we all hear things differently. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of stuff available and very often I read other peoples comments about stuff that I own and wonder if we're actually listening to the same thing 
wink_face.gif

Also many times I read about a product, get intrigued and aquire it just to find out that I disagree with a lot of what's said about it. After reading a lot in here you get a feeling about users that hear things the same way as yourself. IMO this has nothing to do with trust (many people in here like to use that word) but rather people who might have similar ear channels, preferences, taste in music etc as yourself. I've had stuff that I find extremely V-shaped and bassy and then I read other people finding the same things well balanced or even mid-forward, who's wrong and who's right? I'm sure not the one to make that call. I find the Yenona (as an example) to be quite boomy in the mid bass with the stock pads and prefer them by a wide margin with HM5 pads, others like the stock pads better and feel that bass is lacking with HM5 pads. The great thing is that's is possible (with most quality things) to make minor tweaks to get it to suit your own preferences better.

Sorry about the rant but I've thought quite a bit about this lately.....

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #220 of 7,153
Nov 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #221 of 7,153
If I want more details than the K701 which headphone should I get? BossHifi B8?

I'm gonna use them at home with the Modi 2uber/Magni 2, I don't care if they're open/closed but I do have some spare HM5 angled pads if they're needed

I can only get one headphone from ali because it's gonna get charged by customs once it arrives in the EU

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #222 of 7,153
  One thing's for sure: we all hear things differently. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of stuff available and very often I read other peoples comments about stuff that I own and wonder if we're actually listening to the same thing 
wink_face.gif

Also many times I read about a product, get intrigued and aquire it just to find out that I disagree with a lot of what's said about it. After reading a lot in here you get a feeling about users that hear things the same way as yourself. IMO this has nothing to do with trust (many people in here like to use that word) but rather people who might have similar ear channels, preferences, taste in music etc as yourself. I've had stuff that I find extremely V-shaped and bassy and then I read other people finding the same things well balanced or even mid-forward, who's wrong and who's right? I'm sure not the one to make that call. I find the Yenona (as an example) to be quite boomy in the mid bass with the stock pads and prefer them by a wide margin with HM5 pads, others like the stock pads better and feel that bass is lacking with HM5 pads. The great thing is that's is possible (with most quality things) to make minor tweaks to get it to suit your own preferences better.

Sorry about the rant but I've thought quite a bit about this lately.....

I welcome your "rant" --  it's a topic I've thought a lot about, too. It's really about "individual differences" and how they influence the way we perceive audio.

Years ago when I had a big high-end audio system, I learned the hard way that my reaction to audio equipment (recorded music in general) was different from others', especially audio reviewers. I thought a lot of equipment was designed to sound rather bright. People used code words for this ("accurate," "clinical," "revealing," "flat")--to me it meant hyped upper midrange & treble, often w/a mild recession in the upper bass. This made recorded music sound very different from live orchestral music (just 1 example) performed in a good space--which has great weight, impact, and is not bright. I learned to "read between the lines" of audio reviews so I wouldn't get stuck with overly "accurate" equipment.

Now I find things are similar in desktop audio & headphones. Some desirable/costly equipment, especially headphones, has that "accurate/flat" treble, and people go crazy for it. Some other gear doesn't exaggerate certain frequencies, but fails to reproduce the natural low end solidity & impact one hears in live music. Again, I've learned to read between the lines to identify equipment that gives me that weight, impact, and sweetness of tone that (to me) sounds like music IRL.

Your comments about different reactions to headphones are so true. Everyone has different musical tastes and hears differently. There is great variability in people's head shape/size, ear shape/size, etc. There are many headphone design variables that influence sound: driver type/size, earpad type/side, earcup materials, etc.

Headphones are the most personal of all ("speakers strapped to your ears") and seem to cause more divergent opinions. You're right that tweaks allow us to customize sound (a great thing about headphones). I do that w/earpads, and wish I had the guts to do the more ambitous mods discussed on HF.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #224 of 7,153
  I've ordered a lot of stuff from aliexpress and I don't think anything ever got stuck in customs. Most aliexpress sellers declare the value of the parcel lower than it actually is.

In my case it depends on the size of the package, if they see a big package with $5 declared I'm sure that I will get a letter.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #225 of 7,153
To those on the fence about the ISK headphones. I did some digging last week and spoke with kris from isk, they are actually a distirbuter that mostly sells mics. The beauty is that they are in canada, i asked him about the hd-9999 and he said they are very extended and typically used for monitoring purposes, they are detailed in the treble and apparently they may not be suitable for the treble sensitive (like me ). He mentioned they have a new model coming mdh-9000 for $125 cad but they were waiting for the shipment. Since i couldnt wait on bought them on aliexpress for $60, now i play the waiting game lol. With the 9000s chris mentioned that if he is just listening to music he prefers the 9000s since they have a bit more bass and a smoother sound. Btw i also have the pro 80s and find them bright and lacking mids at times so im hoping these are better. The 9000s are pretty ugly in my opinion, i prefer the look of the msr7's but if they sound great its not that big of a deal as i dont see myself walking down the street in these things.

I will be doing a detailed review of the 9000s when i receive them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back