Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #26,883 of 33,689
1. Debatable, IMO,a hybrid like the ZSX generally requires only a little burn in, mostly for the dynamic driver. BA drivers are generally thought to require little too no burn in. It should be fairly steady at 10 hours or so... Of course opinions on this vary wildly and widely.
2. Yes. Most 2 pin, .78mm cables should work, but I believe kz is still using .75mm connectors and cables, so it'll be a tight fit and the original cable might be really loose after A bit. There are some cables out there specifically for KZ but they tend to be cheap SPC cables...

Thank you very much for your reply, Ill try to get a descent cable something not to expansive though ;(

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #26,884 of 33,689
Thank you. I have been really enjoying the CNT1 tonight with the black filter and the tips I showed earlier. I have also changed to a more comfortable cable that I already had here and I think it looks good with it. Will take a photo tomorrow.

What difference should I find with this other filter in comparison to the black?
Its really a completely different IEM witht that filter.

The bass is rolled off pretty early, so that takes away the rumble. Destroys that thick, warm luster that is spread about into the mids which makes it a much cleaner and colder sounding IEM.

Anyway. Black filter to me has much bigger stage then brass. Mids are way more out front, and female vocals sound better. Cant get into the brass filters at all. I actually dislike them very much.

Anyway here is a 15 year old song from some of my friends back in Japan. I feel the CNT/black filter complements this song very well as stage is deep and pretty high with good width. Much better then most are giving credit for.

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #26,886 of 33,689
Thanks a conclusion or TLDR version would be good .

Sample Tracks

I tested the CNT-1 with a number of tracks, and three different devices. Feel free to just skim over this. Here are my impressions from some of these tracks:

• The “Jessica Jones Main Title (Double Shot Version)” from Season 2 serves as a decent test of these IEMs.

In the main title theme opening, with the iPod touch, the instruments are reasonably separated, but not always foregrounded. The electric guitar especially, is too recessed. The piano and strings are distinct, drums are crisp, and a synth line intermittently travels from L to R. The composition as a whole is not quite as energetic as it could be. (Using the PC DAC, these problems are less pronounced.)

However, the CNT-1 excels on the iPod once the theme slips into its jazzy intermission. The piano comes into its own, and tinkles harmoniously with the synth and bass lines. Cymbals pop without being jagged. It's a smooth presentation, although it starts to lose coherence towards the end, when several synths, drums, and strings compete for attention. The main title resumes, the melody is joined by an echo. (The jazz interlude is instead a little overblown on the PAC DAC, by comparison. I’m a little concerned about what happens when you pump energy into this IEM.)

You can hear in the track what the CNT-1 is good at, and where it might need help. The jazz intermission is actually punchier than the main title theme.

• “Bohemian Rhapsody (guitar)” – The solo performance of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” by independent musician Alip Ba Ta provides an example of a single guitar to work with. The tuning and pitch are pleasant. I don't know if it's an accurate tuning, but it's catchy – especially on the iPod. The CNT-1 doesn't struggle, if it's just one instrument!

The individual guitar strings come across as fairly crisp, although they are a little more bloated than I would like. What can you do, it’s a Youtube recording. I find that the resolution decay is slightly greater on the iPod, as opposed to the PC DAC.

• Daft Punk – “Da Funk” – You need a somewhat bassy IEM to handle Daft Punk properly, and the CNT-1 can do it sometimes. Very thumpy bass right from the get-go, boomy when it wants to be. The muffled voices, blasting synth, and cheering crowds give that 'cramped dance hall' or 'bassy car stereo' feel that the CNT-1 is capable of.

• Tangerine Dream –“Love On A Real Train (State Azure Cover)” – One of many “Love on a Real Train” remixes, this one has a killer video accompaniment. The CNT-1 handles the opening competently enough, although without the instrument separation that a King Pro would bring you. The bass kicks in pretty smoothly and sweetly in the background, the synth strings and triangle(?) are clearly foregrounded. The track never loses coherence for me, although there's only 6-or-so instruments, and the CNT's limited soundstage works fine here. But the strings could be more textured or detailed, whatever the word is, because their particularity is a bit lost. The Tin Audio T2 is not going to provide you with this kind of bass.

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s more airy, with a greater soundstage, on the PC DAC, as opposed to the iPod.

• It is instructive to play Westworld (TV) soundtrack side-by-side against the Tin Audio T2. Strings and bass are far more compelling with the CNT-1, and sometimes the bass is harmonious with the treble. But, like with many other songs, the bass/treble harmony is not always there. Sometimes, the bass is doing its own thing, and the treble another. At times, the bass may 'take away' from the fidelity and foregrounding of the treble. 'Sweetwater' and 'Paint it Black' may be better on the CNT-1, more compelling, but the T2 brings out more detail on 'Dr. Ford.'

Which would be better to watch the TV show with? I'm not sure. I can easily test it.

Regardless of accuracy, I am likely to tire of the T2's sheer treble and brightness more quickly than with the CNT-1. What can I say? The CNT-1 has a more 'human' tuning, the T2, a more 'host.'

• The CNT-1 handles The Dire Straits “Money for Nothing” like a dream for a $32 IEM.

There is very steady handling of the bass line and singer volume. Bass is strong, but doesn’t undermine the vocals. Good dynamics, as demonstrated also in “Boulez Conducts Ravel.” But here, it's also got punchy synth and roaring guitar twangs. It fades in and out perfectly.

On the other hand, maybe the CNT-1 doesn't quite do full justice to Dire Straits. It sounds like you're in a small pub, with an amateur band that hasn't quite achieved studio-quality live isolation of its vocals.

Honestly, I was kind of perplexed about CNT-1 hype, until I played this track early on. I haven't had anything handle Dire Straits this well since my $200 Klipsch x7i was stolen. Maybe the BLON BL-03 can beat it. We’ll see.

I also tried, "You and Your Friend," from "On Every Street [Mercury 1996]." Now there’s some very crisp percussion and well-tuned guitars. Vocals are still a little muddier or more recessed than I would like. Are they airy, maybe? They could be stronger. Very smooth, overall. You could sleep with these on. But you wouldn’t sleep, because the CNT-1 presents Dire Straits in an engaging fashion.

• I also watched some of "Porco Rosso" by Studio Ghibi with the Semkarch, and some other IEMs. The CNT-1’s vocal positioning was a little too centered for my taste, but background music emerged cheerfully in a surround configuration. The VSONIC ARES offers a more intimate experience, but with a very strange soundstage (it needs a review on its own). Honestly, the CNT-1 did not offer the most exciting presentation for the film.

I played some of Gendy Tartakovsky’s “Clone Wars” TV series (2003) on my Xiaomi Redmi Note phone using both the CNT-1 and the TRN-V80. There was no problem with clarity on either one, although I would say that the TRN-V80 provided for a more compelling listening experience, because of a superior soundstage and imaging. [This seems to be especially important for TV series, unless they are highly musical like Westworld, where tuning might become more important.]

• Here’s some other things where the CNT-1 performed fairly well:

-Fleetwood Mac “50 Years – Don’t Stop.” The CNT-1’s musicality is helpful here, and it shows off a little during “Dreams.” However, you might notice that the female vocals are somewhat recessed in tracks like “Gypsy.”

-Ryuichi Sakamoto – “Playing the Piano.” The CNT-1 doesn’t have too many problems with slow piano.

-David Bowie, and Eagles’ “Hotel California” are sounding fairly promising, especially the latter.

• And here’s some tracks where I feel that the CNT-1 did not perform adequately:

Cantaloupe Island - Donald Byrd. I haven’t tested enough jazz on the CNT-1, but this was disappointing. Instruments came through well enough, but I didn't feel as if there was sufficient harmony between the foreground instruments and background track, which left it feeling somewhat unengaging. Good saxophone, though. Instruments tended to gravitate to one or the other L-R polarity in the soundstage, which is typical of this IEM.

The Manhattan Transfer Anthology – Down in Birdland – “Birdland.” Maybe my mind has been warped by TFZ, but I think the King Pro beats the pants off the CNT-1 here. Okay, the tuning on the CNT-1 is inoffensive, and probably more accurate than the King Pro. The piano is nice, the solo voices are relatively smooth. But the singers are all around you with the King Pro, interjecting where they please, a happy family and they are very distinct. Meanwhile, the CNT-1 is usually positioning the soloists directly at the L – R poles, and you can feel the cramped soundstage, like you’re in a hot, run-down recording studio filled to standing-room only. It’s claustrophobic. Okay, I think I’m getting into subjective and probably deviant opinion, so I’ll stop now. At least the CNT-1 handles Nina Simone okay.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #26,887 of 33,689
I posted a conclusion at the end of part 1, but I can see how that would have been missed, or inadequate.

CONCLUSION

The CNT-1 is appropriate for easy listening, maybe relaxed listening. It's relatively comfortable in its price range, tuning is inoffensive, and it is not fatiguing. With good tips, you might forget that they are in your ears, and you could go to sleep with them on. I do not recommend this, as neither the stock cable, nor the housings, might survive. Stock a replacement cable if you haven't already. At $35-43, it’s good if you need a smoother relaxed, easy-listening IEM with some bass, and can’t pay twice as much for something near-equivalent.

Because it is easy to drive, and has some isolation, it may be viable as an IEM for commuting, but only in a pinch. I like to run the IEMs at 1/3rd volume, but I have to turn these up to ½ volume more than I would like.

Basically, the CNT-1 is smooth for a CHI-FI IEM in its price bracket. It doesn't seem to have harsh peaks, and the tuning is more 'musical' than 'steely' (KZ) or 'synthetic' (V80). So if you like a more pleasant and not unnatural sound, these are OK. The housings are comfortable, and this is no small thing. With the right cables, you can achieve above-average comfort. And there is some level of isolation: more than the Tin Audio T2 or Y*nY*o V2, for example. So it's relatively comfortable and smooth, with a pleasant tuning. Low fatigue. It offers a more complex and tighter bass than many comparable IEMs.

But you make sacrifices to achieve that at $35. Instrument separation is 'average,' soundstage is 'average,' imaging doesn't stand out much. Vocals can be recessed, particularly female vocals. It has difficulty keeping up with complex, fast instrumentation, and doesn't present large numbers of vocalists in the best possible way. So the 'technicalities' are not up to the level expected by a lot of people here.

So, TL;DR: smooth pleasant 'musical' tuning, relatively comfortable fit, with above-average bass for the price. But lacks in technicalities compared to the 5+ BA monsters, including in soundstage and instrument separation, lags behind on female vocals. Bass is sometimes "independent" from the rest of the song.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #26,888 of 33,689
I am posting my impressions of the Semkarch CNT-1 in order to help diversify the understanding of these IEMs, and provide greater basis for comparison. I am not a reviewer, or an audiophile, and lack the gear and knowledge to write a full review. However, I can post my uneducated impression, in case it is helpful.

This first post contains the general impressions of the IEM itself, and the second post concerns some tracks I used to test the IEM.

BUILD

• Housing fit and isolation is okay. About on-par with the TRN V80 when quiet. The V80’s stock tips fit me better, but the CNT-1 tips provide a pretty good seal. Superior isolation compared to most sub-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs.

• As a transit IEM, the TRN V80 is superior, for me. The V80 is slightly worse-off in isolation, but the sparkly, sugary treble blocks outside noise on its own. Conversely, the softer, more recessed sound of the CNT-1 is less effective at blocking outside noise. It can be used as a transit IEM in a pinch, but is not ideal.

• Comfort is greater than the Tin Audio T2, or your typical KZ. You don't have to fight with the housings much, they don’t seem to move, and it doesn't fatigue my ears. Except for the tips, which I should swap out.

• Build quality is nothing special. Most of the budget favourites are on par or superior in external housing appearance. Semkarch branding on everything is amusing. The giant blue case with SEMKARCH emblazoned on it is pretty amusing, considering that there is no brand recognition for it. Although the large size makes it easier to store the IEM, I find the baby-blue case somewhat unwieldy, and embarrassing to bring out in transit.
  • Cable is terrible, and broke within an hour. Currently using a TRN cable, which works. The fit of the stock cable is okay, not great, but L and R channels started cutting intermittently. So the stock cable is "NO-GO." The microphonics of the stock cable are okay, but the build quality is a disaster.

• Minimalist accessories, overall presentation is more reminiscent of 1990s or early 2000s Chinese exports.
SOUND

Soundstage and Instrument Separation

• Soundstage feels 'circular,' as if I'm in an egg-shaped sphere. Usually, the sphere (or oval, really) is horizontal. It feels relatively confined, actually. If you can imagine Stewie Griffin’s head, that’s what the soundstage feels like most of the time.

• At best, it sometimes feels as if you are in a nightclub, or some kind of enclosed entertainment venue. This isn't my preferred soundstage, although it works for electronica. A lot of the sound simply occurs at the L and R poles, rather than expansively.

• The vocals highlight the limited directionality of the CNT-1, in my view. I hear two distinct L and R vocal positions, and a kind-of-faint forward position. Sometimes, a rear position. I'd say even the TRN V80 has it beat for directionality, and the King Pro destroys it.

• Instruments and vocals come across softer than some of the more powerful IEMs, such as the ZS7. I haven't noticed any extreme highs or harsh peaks. It's softer, smoother listening than the various cannons. What isn't soft are some percussion beats, things like cymbals, triangles/xylophones, or synthetic percussion that can come across very crisp and distinct, almost harsh. Listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," the cymbals can be a little jarring.

• The CNT-1 struggles with busy, detailed soundstages in which many instruments are present. I have found it particularly chokes on massed string instruments, which can just sort of blend in to each other at a low resolution. This could be a problem with inadequate source material. With more intimate songs, using fewer instruments, the CNT-1 can identify and keep up with them very well.

Tuning, Timbre, and Presentation

• I would say that the treble comes across as softer and less bright than the Tin Audio T2. And there's definitely greater bass. T2 might have better instrument separation, though.

• On certain types of music, the ‘musical’ tuning of the CNT-1 comes through well. It is much more natural than something like the TRN V80, or even the Tin Audio T2, at times.

• The limited soundstage and directionality overall makes melodies and singers sound more disembodied than I'd like, although secondary accompaniments and bass lines are often competent.

• The IEM is relatively laid back when compared to some of the more dynamic and powerful ones out there. The KZ ZS7 wants to give you powerful treble and bass at the same time, it demands your attention. And the TFZ King Pro pulls as much detail and imaging as it can from a track, and shoves it in your face. The CNT-1 isn't trying to do that.

• It doesn't slouch on bass, its quantity is surprising. It's thuddy/thumpy, but not muddy, and feels kinda like being in a nightclub. The bass is usually tight, it doesn’t typically leak too much. I played various remixes of "Love on a Real Train," the bass presence reminded me of that dance-hall environment, or what I get from on-ear headphones rather than IEMs. Muddy bass sounds extra muddy here, if it is supposed to. Beats are fairly strong. Drums are very distinct.

• The trouble with the CNT-1’s bass, as others have noted, is that it does not always harmonize or mesh well with the treble. You have the treble going, which may be executed competently by the IEM, and the bass line isn’t bad either, but they aren’t lined up properly.

It's like those airplanes that carry test airplanes. They're flying along together, but then one detaches, and they're still flying along together, but they're kinda doing their own thing now.

• The CNT-1 is also relatively easy to drive. Although there’s a bit more punch to it from a PC DAP, my old iPod Touch 4 has no trouble driving it at low volumes. And it can resolve instruments at very low volumes. Where you might have to turn up the volume with some IEMs, your ears can discern pianississimo on the CNT-1. It has good dynamics for the price. The first two thirds of Bolero in "Boulez Conducts Ravel" are very faint, but not a problem for CNT-1. Then it becomes kind of stirring. Trumpet and drums are distinct, on opposite sides of the soundstage, strings are kind of muddled, as always. (Strings are more coherent on the next piece, Rapsodie espaqnole, and the CNT-1 is pretty capable with brass and woodwinds in general.)

CONCLUSION

The CNT-1 is appropriate for easy listening, maybe relaxed listening. It's relatively comfortable in its price range, tuning is inoffensive, and it is not fatiguing. With good tips, you might forget that they are in your ears, and you could go to sleep with them on. I do not recommend this, as neither the stock cable, nor the housings, might survive. Stock a replacement cable if you haven't already. At $35-43, it’s good if you need a smoother relaxed, easy-listening IEM with some bass, and can’t pay twice as much for something near-equivalent.

Because it is easy to drive, and has some isolation, it may be viable as an IEM for commuting, but only in a pinch. I like to run the IEMs at 1/3rd volume, but I have to turn these up to ½ volume more than I would like.

Im a truck driver. I drive a big Freightliner that runs about 75-80db in the cab at all times. Been using the CNT as my go too for almost a year now. It works fine and for me doesn't need to have the volume up very much at all. I am usually a few db lower on the volume pot then with other IEMS. Sound isolation is pretty good imo. Better then most, not a good as a small few.

Anyway thanks for the write up. I don't agree with most of what you hear, but then again Im also going balanced into either a Cayin N5 or a Fiio M11. The Fiio is neutral with a large stage with massive air and space, while the Cayin has a boost in the mids with a smaller more intimate stage. Both DAPs are really large upgrades over my numerous iPods, my 2 old iPhones and my AXON phone which has a DAC in it. It also sounds like you are using the Brass nozzle, but you never specify.

Anyway. Thanks again. All you can do is do you, and I at least try to always see what others are thinking/feeling/hearing. Its a good way to learn for me. Like you I am and have been looking at trying to improve with an upgrade, but so far its only sidegrades until like $150 ish or higher. IMO IT01 is just a side step over from CNT. 9 tails is an very small upgrade but isolation is poo, so no go for me. Been thinking about LZA6 mini, but would rather have a single dynamic. Will probably just get a Kanas(regular) as I need some boosted bass too.
I think my ultimate IEM would be something like the bass from the CNT, with 6in1 mids and BQ3s smooth airy treble. :)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #26,890 of 33,689
I am posting my impressions of the Semkarch CNT-1 in order to help diversify the understanding of these IEMs, and provide greater basis for comparison. I am not a reviewer, or an audiophile, and lack the gear and knowledge to write a full review. However, I can post my uneducated impression, in case it is helpful.

This first post contains the general impressions of the IEM itself, and the second post concerns some tracks I used to test the IEM.

BUILD

• Housing fit and isolation is okay. About on-par with the TRN V80 when quiet. The V80’s stock tips fit me better, but the CNT-1 tips provide a pretty good seal. Superior isolation compared to most sub-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs.

• As a transit IEM, the TRN V80 is superior, for me. The V80 is slightly worse-off in isolation, but the sparkly, sugary treble blocks outside noise on its own. Conversely, the softer, more recessed sound of the CNT-1 is less effective at blocking outside noise. It can be used as a transit IEM in a pinch, but is not ideal.

• Comfort is greater than the Tin Audio T2, or your typical KZ. You don't have to fight with the housings much, they don’t seem to move, and it doesn't fatigue my ears. Except for the tips, which I should swap out.

• Build quality is nothing special. Most of the budget favourites are on par or superior in external housing appearance. Semkarch branding on everything is amusing. The giant blue case with SEMKARCH emblazoned on it is pretty amusing, considering that there is no brand recognition for it. Although the large size makes it easier to store the IEM, I find the baby-blue case somewhat unwieldy, and embarrassing to bring out in transit.
  • Cable is terrible, and broke within an hour. Currently using a TRN cable, which works. The fit of the stock cable is okay, not great, but L and R channels started cutting intermittently. So the stock cable is "NO-GO." The microphonics of the stock cable are okay, but the build quality is a disaster.

• Minimalist accessories, overall presentation is more reminiscent of 1990s or early 2000s Chinese exports.
SOUND

Soundstage and Instrument Separation

• Soundstage feels 'circular,' as if I'm in an egg-shaped sphere. Usually, the sphere (or oval, really) is horizontal. It feels relatively confined, actually. If you can imagine Stewie Griffin’s head, that’s what the soundstage feels like most of the time.

• At best, it sometimes feels as if you are in a nightclub, or some kind of enclosed entertainment venue. This isn't my preferred soundstage, although it works for electronica. A lot of the sound simply occurs at the L and R poles, rather than expansively.

• The vocals highlight the limited directionality of the CNT-1, in my view. I hear two distinct L and R vocal positions, and a kind-of-faint forward position. Sometimes, a rear position. I'd say even the TRN V80 has it beat for directionality, and the King Pro destroys it.

• Instruments and vocals come across softer than some of the more powerful IEMs, such as the ZS7. I haven't noticed any extreme highs or harsh peaks. It's softer, smoother listening than the various cannons. What isn't soft are some percussion beats, things like cymbals, triangles/xylophones, or synthetic percussion that can come across very crisp and distinct, almost harsh. Listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," the cymbals can be a little jarring.

• The CNT-1 struggles with busy, detailed soundstages in which many instruments are present. I have found it particularly chokes on massed string instruments, which can just sort of blend in to each other at a low resolution. This could be a problem with inadequate source material. With more intimate songs, using fewer instruments, the CNT-1 can identify and keep up with them very well.

Tuning, Timbre, and Presentation

• I would say that the treble comes across as softer and less bright than the Tin Audio T2. And there's definitely greater bass. T2 might have better instrument separation, though.

• On certain types of music, the ‘musical’ tuning of the CNT-1 comes through well. It is much more natural than something like the TRN V80, or even the Tin Audio T2, at times.

• The limited soundstage and directionality overall makes melodies and singers sound more disembodied than I'd like, although secondary accompaniments and bass lines are often competent.

• The IEM is relatively laid back when compared to some of the more dynamic and powerful ones out there. The KZ ZS7 wants to give you powerful treble and bass at the same time, it demands your attention. And the TFZ King Pro pulls as much detail and imaging as it can from a track, and shoves it in your face. The CNT-1 isn't trying to do that.

• It doesn't slouch on bass, its quantity is surprising. It's thuddy/thumpy, but not muddy, and feels kinda like being in a nightclub. The bass is usually tight, it doesn’t typically leak too much. I played various remixes of "Love on a Real Train," the bass presence reminded me of that dance-hall environment, or what I get from on-ear headphones rather than IEMs. Muddy bass sounds extra muddy here, if it is supposed to. Beats are fairly strong. Drums are very distinct.

• The trouble with the CNT-1’s bass, as others have noted, is that it does not always harmonize or mesh well with the treble. You have the treble going, which may be executed competently by the IEM, and the bass line isn’t bad either, but they aren’t lined up properly.

It's like those airplanes that carry test airplanes. They're flying along together, but then one detaches, and they're still flying along together, but they're kinda doing their own thing now.

• The CNT-1 is also relatively easy to drive. Although there’s a bit more punch to it from a PC DAP, my old iPod Touch 4 has no trouble driving it at low volumes. And it can resolve instruments at very low volumes. Where you might have to turn up the volume with some IEMs, your ears can discern pianississimo on the CNT-1. It has good dynamics for the price. The first two thirds of Bolero in "Boulez Conducts Ravel" are very faint, but not a problem for CNT-1. Then it becomes kind of stirring. Trumpet and drums are distinct, on opposite sides of the soundstage, strings are kind of muddled, as always. (Strings are more coherent on the next piece, Rapsodie espaqnole, and the CNT-1 is pretty capable with brass and woodwinds in general.)

CONCLUSION

I posted a conclusion at the end of part 1, but I can see how that would have been missed, or inadequate.

Basically, the CNT-1 is smooth for a CHI-FI IEM in its price bracket. It doesn't seem to have harsh peaks, and the tuning is more 'musical' than 'steely' (KZ) or 'synthetic' (V80). So if you like a more pleasant and not unnatural sound, these are OK. The housings are comfortable, and this is no small thing. With the right cables, you can achieve above-average comfort. And there is some level of isolation: more than the Tin Audio T2 or Y*nY*o V2, for example. So it's relatively comfortable and smooth, with a pleasant tuning. Low fatigue. It offers a more complex and tighter bass than many comparable IEMs.

But you make sacrifices to achieve that at $35. Instrument separation is 'average,' soundstage is 'average,' imaging doesn't stand out much. Vocals can be recessed, particularly female vocals. It has difficulty keeping up with complex, fast instrumentation, and doesn't present large numbers of vocalists in the best possible way. So the 'technicalities' are not up to the level expected by a lot of people here.

So, TL;DR: smooth pleasant 'musical' tuning, relatively comfortable fit, with above-average bass for the price. But lacks in technicalities compared to the 5+ BA monsters, including in soundstage and instrument separation, lags behind on female vocals. Bass is sometimes "independent" from the rest of the song.

Thanks @ShakeThoseCans for the detailed impressions, good stuff. Not sure if u were using the black or brass filters, but definitely bass is better with the black ones to me.

I have been using the CNT1 on the subway the past 1 week and the isolation is above average, but not ground breaking. In fact some bass is lost with suboptimal isolation, and this is the case with it (I'm using stock tips and a 8 core NICEHCK copper cable). Soundstage is average as u say.

I think the CNT 1 is quite source dependant. With a DAP or smartphone, I think the sound is ok for the price, but when I hook it up to my desktop rig (Khadas tone board -> Fiio A3), I can get better soundstage, details, clarity, dynamic changes and resolution. And a much nicer bass quantity and quality. So even though it can be driven from a phone, I think the CNT 1 scales better with a balanced connection or amping if available.

Also it is a single DD IEM, so if u wanna compare the details/clarity/insturment separation to the hybrids and multi BAs, the single DDs generally wouldn't be able to compete with the multi BA stuff in this area. It's like comparing oranges and apples as the multi BAs and DDs have different strengths and weaknesses. CNT1 probably won't excel at very detailed complex musical pieces compared to the multi BAs, and definitely would lose out to these in technicalities. The DDs would excel at timbre and being more "musical" than the BAs though. So I think a fairer comparison would be to compare it to other single DD IEMs.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #26,891 of 33,689
Anyway here is a 15 year old song from some of my friends back in Japan. I feel the CNT/black filter complements this song very well as stage is deep and pretty high with good width. Much better then most are giving credit for.

I just listened to this track with the CNT-1/black filter. You're right, the stage is deep, and a little wider than usual. Do you think that the female vocal is a little recessed at the beginning, compared maybe to a reference speaker? It might just be the track itself. The solo female voice becomes more encompassing towards the end, which I liked. It's not what I usually listen to, but it shows off the power of the CNT-1. That's no 'thin' sound.

Im a truck driver. I drive a big Freightliner that runs about 75-80db in the cab at all times. Been using the CNT as my go too for almost a year now. It works fine and for me doesn't need to have the volume up very much at all. I am usually a few db lower on the volume pot then with other IEMS. Sound isolation is pretty good imo. Better then most, not a good as a small few.

Anyway thanks for the write up. I don't agree with most of what you hear, but then again Im also going balanced into either a Cayin N5 or a Fiio M11. The Fiio is neutral with a large stage with massive air and space, while the Cayin has a boost in the mids with a smaller more intimate stage. Both DAPs are really large upgrades over my numerous iPods, my 2 old iPhones and my AXON phone which has a DAC in it. It also sounds like you are using the Brass nozzle, but you never specify.

Yes, I should have specified. I am using the stock black filter with stock black tip. I haven't even tried the brass/gold filter, which would have given a more complete impression. I understand from reviews that the brass filter emphasizes treble more, and is more sparkly. I like sparkly treble, but I'm happy with the more restrained treble on the black filter. Didn't have a problem with it. And the black filter is oriented towards bass, and really delivers.

I'd trust your opinion a lot more than mine. I'm only been using the CNT-1 for 5 days! I tend to be harsh when judging IEMs at first, and then come to recognize their unique qualities later. I was pretty mean to the Y*nY*o V2, at first, but came to appreciate its warm tuning, and how it handled relaxing or softer music.

I don't have a volume issue with the CNT-1. I can hear fainter music on it most of the time. But its more relaxed timbre and less sparkle, compared to the V80, just doesn't block out noise as much for me, even though the physical housing isolates better than the V80. On transit, I find that it's not just a consistent buzz or engine noise that you have to block out, but incessant automated announcements, other people talking, phones ringing, and such. It can be a 'challenging environment,' :o2smile:.

The CNT-1 isolates better than most of my CHI-FI items. It's a high performer in that respect. But I've used expensive Western IEMs that isolated to a greater degree, such that I would miss transit stops because I didn't hear any outside noise.

Anyway. Thanks again. All you can do is do you, and I at least try to always see what others are thinking/feeling/hearing. Its a good way to learn for me. Like you I am and have been looking at trying to improve with an upgrade, but so far its only sidegrades until like $150 ish or higher. IMO IT01 is just a side step over from CNT. 9 tails is an very small upgrade but isolation is poo, so no go for me. Been thinking about LZA6 mini, but would rather have a single dynamic. Will probably just get a Kanas(regular) as I need some boosted bass too.
I think my ultimate IEM would be something like the bass from the CNT, with 6in1 mids and BQ3s smooth airy treble. :)

I think you're on to something with your improved CNT concept. Your view on the sidegrading is similar to others; the CNT seems comparable to the IT01. The IT01 may have features more to my liking, but I think I would have to go higher than the IT01 to get worthwhile improvement. And many have said good things about the 9 tails here, but pointed out that it does not have good isolation. So it can't really be a commuting IEM for me. (no. 3 and IT01 were contenders).

Thanks @ShakeThoseCans for the detailed impressions, good stuff. Not sure if u were using the black or brass filters, but definitely bass is better with the black ones to me.

I have been using the CNT1 on the subway the past 1 week and the isolation is above average, but not ground breaking. In fact some bass is lost with suboptimal isolation, and this is the case with it (I'm using stock tips and a 8 core NICEHCK copper cable). Soundstage is average as u say.

Yes. I'm using the black filter, and yes, it can lose sound from suboptimal isolation. I took it on the subway yesterday, and though it blocks out some noise, there is room for improvement. The 8-core copper cable is something I had planned to use, because of good results from others, but for hilarious reasons I was not able to do that. (Maybe I'll explain later). Right now, I'm using the TRN "Newest" Copper/Silver cable.

You're right that it's at least somewhat source dependant, and this highlights how I am unfair to these IEMs by using suboptimal sources, like the iPod Touch, or the cheapest entry-level USB DAC. I would really love to hear the CNT-1 on at least a Dragonfly. And if I went balanced, it would be even better, according to some accounts.

Also it is a single DD IEM, so if u wanna compare the details/clarity/insturment separation to the hybrids and multi BAs, the single DDs generally wouldn't be able to compete with the multi BA stuff in this area. It's like comparing oranges and apples as the multi BAs and DDs have different strengths and weaknesses. CNT1 probably won't excel at very detailed complex musical pieces compared to the multi BAs, and definitely would lose out to these in technicalities. The DDs would excel at timbre and being more "musical" than the BAs though. So I think a fairer comparison would be to compare it to other single DD IEMs.

This is an important lesson I am learning. Multi-BAs are something I have limited experience with, until now. But they seem to offer things that I greatly appreciate. I value the greater technicalities they offer, seemingly even more than the reasonable timbre of the single-DDs. It's pushing me towards finding 'better multi-BA' IEMs for commuting, rather than better single-DD. [I can still see a use for the latter at home]. But this is why I'm getting excited about the V90, I guess, since I'm looking for the higher-end soundstage/detail/separation, just with a less artificial-sounding signature.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #26,892 of 33,689
@ShakeThoseCans It is a very tip dependent IEM too. I've found the sound to be on the whole not as good as my Blon BL03 until finally managing to source a set of MandarinEs - I'm not recommending that you use the exact same tip, merely that you investigate tip rolling. What provides a good fit for one may be terrible for another.

I still have a bit of a downer on the CNT as I have had a bit of discomfort with the physical fit though this seems to be improved a bit with the tip rolling - I can certainly go an hour now which wasn't the case.

They are definitely the most sensitive to tip, cable, source, phase of the moon, whether there is an r in the month etc etc IEM I have. Get it dead right and they sound... Fantastic.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #26,893 of 33,689

Based on your posts and now knowing your job you sound like a very interesting person...

Have you by chance heard the bqeyz spring 1? I'm hoping that what you describe is basically what they are, or can be with a little bit if EQ. I have them in the mail right now from penon.

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #26,894 of 33,689
Its really a completely different IEM witht that filter.

The bass is rolled off pretty early, so that takes away the rumble. Destroys that thick, warm luster that is spread about into the mids which makes it a much cleaner and colder sounding IEM.

Anyway. Black filter to me has much bigger stage then brass. Mids are way more out front, and female vocals sound better. Cant get into the brass filters at all. I actually dislike them very much.

Yes, that is what I found last night when I put the black filter on my CNT1. From your description, it sounds as though I should not bother with that aftermarket filter. Although I suppose it could be an interesting experiment.

@ShakeThoseCans In that first post, the way you were describing the weirdness in the stage and vocals I wondered if there could be a phase issue. Have you done a phase test?

Also you keep referring to them as $32 IEMs. We have only gotten them that cheap because they are being discontinued and that is a closeout price. They are actually a $95 IEM and I feel that they do compete with others at that price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back