Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #26,866 of 33,689
If you are ready you shell out $1000,....

I promise if I do it will be my last Grand in iem's:rolling_eyes: This is where that famous saying comes in:fearful:

rai-penta-header.jpg

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #26,868 of 33,689
I promise if I do it will be my last Grand in iem's:rolling_eyes: This is where that famous saying comes in:fearful:

rai-penta-header.jpg
I don't think they can hack it

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #26,870 of 33,689
I don't think they can hack it

LOL, I like that but I was more thinking "Famous last words":rolling_eyes: The only solace I really have is (And as you and your sig other know) many here have far bigger collections than I:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I can just hear everyone sitting around my stuff after I kick the bucket and going "What the Fock" :smiling_imp:

Congrats @hyewiz , I'm sure it's just a short time before these aftermarket cable builders start making really nice cables that fit this KZ cable design at least I'm hoping so.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #26,872 of 33,689
So, I decided to get a second pair of BLON BL03 in "gun metal" instead of the CNT1, which I can live without. They are just blowing me away as an IEM with a single DD driver per side! I haven't heard a single DD unit that can compare to the BL03 for such a rediculously low price!...It is insane!

In my personal experience, this has been an interesting month for me:

BLON BL03: Outstanding dynamic drivers that has no business in such a low price range!

CCA C12: Somebody got it right at this company! Incredible sonic-like sound signature with great balance and details!

LZ A6mini: The true essence of what micro-details suppose to truly sound like!

Magaosi DQ4: Finely, a tuning switch that really makes sense!

-Clear
Thank you for your impressions. I'm trying to decide between the BLON BL-03 and the CCA C12. Which one do you prefer? And could you compare their strengths and weaknesses?

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #26,873 of 33,689
Today I received my KZ ZSX, will this requires burn-in before using them? also can I upgrade the cable to Balanced cable?
1. Debatable, IMO,a hybrid like the ZSX generally requires only a little burn in, mostly for the dynamic driver. BA drivers are generally thought to require little too no burn in. It should be fairly steady at 10 hours or so... Of course opinions on this vary wildly and widely.
2. Yes. Most 2 pin, .78mm cables should work, but I believe kz is still using .75mm connectors and cables, so it'll be a tight fit and the original cable might be really loose after A bit. There are some cables out there specifically for KZ but they tend to be cheap SPC cables...

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #26,874 of 33,689
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #26,876 of 33,689
My KBear F1 has been annoying me of late. Not only do I have the "worst" driver (I'm pretty sure it's the generic unmarked Tenhz copy unless someone can fill me in on where the markings are) but I have also had issues where the largest tips aren't big enough to seal. They aren't the usual size that all my others are so rolling was no option. So I bodged it. Sounds really good so far.

Can you post a photo of the top of the F1? I can positively ID it for you.

And hold your camera out further to give it a chance to focus. Then you can crop/zoom on the driver. Also, disable the flash because it's blowing out the driver details :)

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #26,878 of 33,689
Sep 27, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #26,879 of 33,689
I am posting my impressions of the Semkarch CNT-1 in order to help diversify the understanding of these IEMs, and provide greater basis for comparison. I am not a reviewer, or an audiophile, and lack the gear and knowledge to write a full review. However, I can post my uneducated impression, in case it is helpful.

This first post contains the general impressions of the IEM itself, and the second post concerns some tracks I used to test the IEM.

BUILD

• Housing fit and isolation is okay. About on-par with the TRN V80 when quiet. The V80’s stock tips fit me better, but the CNT-1 tips provide a pretty good seal. Superior isolation compared to most sub-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs.

• As a transit IEM, the TRN V80 is superior, for me. The V80 is slightly worse-off in isolation, but the sparkly, sugary treble blocks outside noise on its own. Conversely, the softer, more recessed sound of the CNT-1 is less effective at blocking outside noise. It can be used as a transit IEM in a pinch, but is not ideal.

• Comfort is greater than the Tin Audio T2, or your typical KZ. You don't have to fight with the housings much, they don’t seem to move, and it doesn't fatigue my ears. Except for the tips, which I should swap out.

• Build quality is nothing special. Most of the budget favourites are on par or superior in external housing appearance. Semkarch branding on everything is amusing. The giant blue case with SEMKARCH emblazoned on it is pretty amusing, considering that there is no brand recognition for it. Although the large size makes it easier to store the IEM, I find the baby-blue case somewhat unwieldy, and embarrassing to bring out in transit.
  • Cable is terrible, and broke within an hour. Currently using a TRN cable, which works. The fit of the stock cable is okay, not great, but L and R channels started cutting intermittently. So the stock cable is "NO-GO." The microphonics of the stock cable are okay, but the build quality is a disaster.

• Minimalist accessories, overall presentation is more reminiscent of 1990s or early 2000s Chinese exports.

SOUND

Soundstage and Instrument Separation

• Soundstage feels 'circular,' as if I'm in an egg-shaped sphere. Usually, the sphere (or oval, really) is horizontal. It feels relatively confined, actually. If you can imagine Stewie Griffin’s head, that’s what the soundstage feels like most of the time.

• At best, it sometimes feels as if you are in a nightclub, or some kind of enclosed entertainment venue. This isn't my preferred soundstage, although it works for electronica. A lot of the sound simply occurs at the L and R poles, rather than expansively.

• The vocals highlight the limited directionality of the CNT-1, in my view. I hear two distinct L and R vocal positions, and a kind-of-faint forward position. Sometimes, a rear position. I'd say even the TRN V80 has it beat for directionality, and the King Pro destroys it.

• Instruments and vocals come across softer than some of the more powerful IEMs, such as the ZS7. I haven't noticed any extreme highs or harsh peaks. It's softer, smoother listening than the various cannons. What isn't soft are some percussion beats, things like cymbals, triangles/xylophones, or synthetic percussion that can come across very crisp and distinct, almost harsh. Listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," the cymbals can be a little jarring.

• The CNT-1 struggles with busy, detailed soundstages in which many instruments are present. I have found it particularly chokes on massed string instruments, which can just sort of blend in to each other at a low resolution. This could be a problem with inadequate source material. With more intimate songs, using fewer instruments, the CNT-1 can identify and keep up with them very well.

Tuning, Timbre, and Presentation

• I would say that the treble comes across as softer and less bright than the Tin Audio T2. And there's definitely greater bass. T2 might have better instrument separation, though.

• On certain types of music, the ‘musical’ tuning of the CNT-1 comes through well. It is much more natural than something like the TRN V80, or even the Tin Audio T2, at times.

• The limited soundstage and directionality overall makes melodies and singers sound more disembodied than I'd like, although secondary accompaniments and bass lines are often competent.

• The IEM is relatively laid back when compared to some of the more dynamic and powerful ones out there. The KZ ZS7 wants to give you powerful treble and bass at the same time, it demands your attention. And the TFZ King Pro pulls as much detail and imaging as it can from a track, and shoves it in your face. The CNT-1 isn't trying to do that.

• It doesn't slouch on bass, its quantity is surprising. It's thuddy/thumpy, but not muddy, and feels kinda like being in a nightclub. The bass is usually tight, it doesn’t typically leak too much. I played various remixes of "Love on a Real Train," the bass presence reminded me of that dance-hall environment, or what I get from on-ear headphones rather than IEMs. Muddy bass sounds extra muddy here, if it is supposed to. Beats are fairly strong. Drums are very distinct.

• The trouble with the CNT-1’s bass, as others have noted, is that it does not always harmonize or mesh well with the treble. You have the treble going, which may be executed competently by the IEM, and the bass line isn’t bad either, but they aren’t lined up properly.

It's like those airplanes that carry test airplanes. They're flying along together, but then one detaches, and they're still flying along together, but they're kinda doing their own thing now.

• The CNT-1 is also relatively easy to drive. Although there’s a bit more punch to it from a PC DAP, my old iPod Touch 4 has no trouble driving it at low volumes. And it can resolve instruments at very low volumes. Where you might have to turn up the volume with some IEMs, your ears can discern pianississimo on the CNT-1. It has good dynamics for the price. The first two thirds of Bolero in "Boulez Conducts Ravel" are very faint, but not a problem for CNT-1. Then it becomes kind of stirring. Trumpet and drums are distinct, on opposite sides of the soundstage, strings are kind of muddled, as always. (Strings are more coherent on the next piece, Rapsodie espaqnole, and the CNT-1 is pretty capable with brass and woodwinds in general.)

CONCLUSION

The CNT-1 is appropriate for easy listening, maybe relaxed listening. It's relatively comfortable in its price range, tuning is inoffensive, and it is not fatiguing. With good tips, you might forget that they are in your ears, and you could go to sleep with them on. I do not recommend this, as neither the stock cable, nor the housings, might survive. Stock a replacement cable if you haven't already. At $35-43, it’s good if you need a smoother relaxed, easy-listening IEM with some bass, and can’t pay twice as much for something near-equivalent.

Because it is easy to drive, and has some isolation, it may be viable as an IEM for commuting, but only in a pinch. I like to run the IEMs at 1/3rd volume, but I have to turn these up to ½ volume more than I would like.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #26,880 of 33,689
Sample Tracks

I tested the CNT-1 with a number of tracks, and three different devices. Feel free to just skim over this. Here are my impressions from some of these tracks:

• The “Jessica Jones Main Title (Double Shot Version)” from Season 2 serves as a decent test of these IEMs.

In the main title theme opening, with the iPod touch, the instruments are reasonably separated, but not always foregrounded. The electric guitar especially, is too recessed. The piano and strings are distinct, drums are crisp, and a synth line intermittently travels from L to R. The composition as a whole is not quite as energetic as it could be. (Using the PC DAC, these problems are less pronounced.)

However, the CNT-1 excels on the iPod once the theme slips into its jazzy intermission. The piano comes into its own, and tinkles harmoniously with the synth and bass lines. Cymbals pop without being jagged. It's a smooth presentation, although it starts to lose coherence towards the end, when several synths, drums, and strings compete for attention. The main title resumes, the melody is joined by an echo. (The jazz interlude is instead a little overblown on the PAC DAC, by comparison. I’m a little concerned about what happens when you pump energy into this IEM.)

You can hear in the track what the CNT-1 is good at, and where it might need help. The jazz intermission is actually punchier than the main title theme.

• “Bohemian Rhapsody (guitar)” – The solo performance of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” by independent musician Alip Ba Ta provides an example of a single guitar to work with. The tuning and pitch are pleasant. I don't know if it's an accurate tuning, but it's catchy – especially on the iPod. The CNT-1 doesn't struggle, if it's just one instrument!

The individual guitar strings come across as fairly crisp, although they are a little more bloated than I would like. What can you do, it’s a Youtube recording. I find that the resolution decay is slightly greater on the iPod, as opposed to the PC DAC.

• Daft Punk – “Da Funk” – You need a somewhat bassy IEM to handle Daft Punk properly, and the CNT-1 can do it sometimes. Very thumpy bass right from the get-go, boomy when it wants to be. The muffled voices, blasting synth, and cheering crowds give that 'cramped dance hall' or 'bassy car stereo' feel that the CNT-1 is capable of.

• Tangerine Dream –“Love On A Real Train (State Azure Cover)” – One of many “Love on a Real Train” remixes, this one has a killer video accompaniment. The CNT-1 handles the opening competently enough, although without the instrument separation that a King Pro would bring you. The bass kicks in pretty smoothly and sweetly in the background, the synth strings and triangle(?) are clearly foregrounded. The track never loses coherence for me, although there's only 6-or-so instruments, and the CNT's limited soundstage works fine here. But the strings could be more textured or detailed, whatever the word is, because their particularity is a bit lost. The Tin Audio T2 is not going to provide you with this kind of bass.

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s more airy, with a greater soundstage, on the PC DAC, as opposed to the iPod.

• It is instructive to play Westworld (TV) soundtrack side-by-side against the Tin Audio T2. Strings and bass are far more compelling with the CNT-1, and sometimes the bass is harmonious with the treble. But, like with many other songs, the bass/treble harmony is not always there. Sometimes, the bass is doing its own thing, and the treble another. At times, the bass may 'take away' from the fidelity and foregrounding of the treble. 'Sweetwater' and 'Paint it Black' may be better on the CNT-1, more compelling, but the T2 brings out more detail on 'Dr. Ford.'

Which would be better to watch the TV show with? I'm not sure. I can easily test it.

Regardless of accuracy, I am likely to tire of the T2's sheer treble and brightness more quickly than with the CNT-1. What can I say? The CNT-1 has a more 'human' tuning, the T2, a more 'host.'

• The CNT-1 handles The Dire Straits “Money for Nothing” like a dream for a $32 IEM.

There is very steady handling of the bass line and singer volume. Bass is strong, but doesn’t undermine the vocals. Good dynamics, as demonstrated also in “Boulez Conducts Ravel.” But here, it's also got punchy synth and roaring guitar twangs. It fades in and out perfectly.

On the other hand, maybe the CNT-1 doesn't quite do full justice to Dire Straits. It sounds like you're in a small pub, with an amateur band that hasn't quite achieved studio-quality live isolation of its vocals.

Honestly, I was kind of perplexed about CNT-1 hype, until I played this track early on. I haven't had anything handle Dire Straits this well since my $200 Klipsch x7i was stolen. Maybe the BLON BL-03 can beat it. We’ll see.

I also tried, "You and Your Friend," from "On Every Street [Mercury 1996]." Now there’s some very crisp percussion and well-tuned guitars. Vocals are still a little muddier or more recessed than I would like. Are they airy, maybe? They could be stronger. Very smooth, overall. You could sleep with these on. But you wouldn’t sleep, because the CNT-1 presents Dire Straits in an engaging fashion.

• I also watched some of "Porco Rosso" by Studio Ghibi with the Semkarch, and some other IEMs. The CNT-1’s vocal positioning was a little too centered for my taste, but background music emerged cheerfully in a surround configuration. The VSONIC ARES offers a more intimate experience, but with a very strange soundstage (it needs a review on its own). Honestly, the CNT-1 did not offer the most exciting presentation for the film.

I played some of Gendy Tartakovsky’s “Clone Wars” TV series (2003) on my Xiaomi Redmi Note phone using both the CNT-1 and the TRN-V80. There was no problem with clarity on either one, although I would say that the TRN-V80 provided for a more compelling listening experience, because of a superior soundstage and imaging. [This seems to be especially important for TV series, unless they are highly musical like Westworld, where tuning might become more important.]

• Here’s some other things where the CNT-1 performed fairly well:

-Fleetwood Mac “50 Years – Don’t Stop.” The CNT-1’s musicality is helpful here, and it shows off a little during “Dreams.” However, you might notice that the female vocals are somewhat recessed in tracks like “Gypsy.”

-Ryuichi Sakamoto – “Playing the Piano.” The CNT-1 doesn’t have too many problems with slow piano.

-David Bowie, and Eagles’ “Hotel California” are sounding fairly promising, especially the latter.

• And here’s some tracks where I feel that the CNT-1 did not perform adequately:

Cantaloupe Island - Donald Byrd. I haven’t tested enough jazz on the CNT-1, but this was disappointing. Instruments came through well enough, but I didn't feel as if there was sufficient harmony between the foreground instruments and background track, which left it feeling somewhat unengaging. Good saxophone, though. Instruments tended to gravitate to one or the other L-R polarity in the soundstage, which is typical of this IEM.

The Manhattan Transfer Anthology – Down in Birdland – “Birdland.” Maybe my mind has been warped by TFZ, but I think the King Pro beats the pants off the CNT-1 here. Okay, the tuning on the CNT-1 is inoffensive, and probably more accurate than the King Pro. The piano is nice, the solo voices are relatively smooth. But the singers are all around you with the King Pro, interjecting where they please, a happy family and they are very distinct. Meanwhile, the CNT-1 is usually positioning the soloists directly at the L – R poles, and you can feel the cramped soundstage, like you’re in a hot, run-down recording studio filled to standing-room only. It’s claustrophobic. Okay, I think I’m getting into subjective and probably deviant opinion, so I’ll stop now. At least the CNT-1 handles Nina Simone okay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back