Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #26,896 of 33,689
Pulled the trigger on a brown Blon BL03 (and also the Tin T3, because what the hey).
Lets hope it lived to the reviews, and me liking it enough to keep it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #26,897 of 33,689
I just received the Blon some hours ago, damn I'm impressed! It reminds me of Oxygen in a good way, fast dynamics, crisp, and lively.

I didn't even bother to use the stock cable which at first glance it didn't look that bad but I just went straight forward and used my other cable. Fit-wise trying the SpinFit CP145 M I wasn't able to get a good seal (might the L size would be good) so the bass was rolling off a bit too much, but wearing a bigger size tip just did the trick. Now with the JVC Spiral Dots ML modded with a memory foam ring inside they just disappear and stay in place - 0 issues regarding comfort in this way.

About the sound, it's been covered here on head-fi much better than I can describe but the only thing I felt it kinda didn't live up the hype was the sub-bass oomph IMO, it's similar to Oxygen quantity compared to Kanas pro which goes deeper in a way that you "feel" the rumble and for electronic music it's awesome. But Blons is much faster bass type though, and personally I prefer it.

v.jpg

Just some first impressions, let's see how it'll age!

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #26,899 of 33,689
@ShakeThoseCans In that first post, the way you were describing the weirdness in the stage and vocals I wondered if there could be a phase issue. Have you done a phase test?

Also you keep referring to them as $32 IEMs. We have only gotten them that cheap because they are being discontinued and that is a closeout price. They are actually a $95 IEM and I feel that they do compete with others at that price.

My colourful description of the CNT-1 soundstage and vocals may have exaggerated their 'weirdness.' I just found the soundstage to be relatively confined compared to some of my multi-BA IEMs, that's all. But yes, I find that the vocals do tend to cluster at the L and R poles.

Maybe there is a phase issue. I've never had that happen with MMCX IEMs to my knowledge, but I will undergo the phase test. The cables I am using are something that I installed in a hurry, as the previous 'replacement' cable broke on insertion. So maybe something's wrong there. The pitch and often the detail are fine, especially with good sources, but maybe something is affecting the soundstage.

And yes, I am aware of the CNT-1's close-out price. I purchased mine for $32, and that is a bargain since they really do sound like ~$90 IEMs, and are frequently compared to the iBasso IT01, VSonic GR07/VS7, and the TFZ No. 3. I recognize that it performs at that level, although it's somewhat challenging to talk about it as a $32 IEM and a $95 IEM at the same time.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #26,901 of 33,689
Thank you for your impressions. I'm trying to decide between the BLON BL-03 and the CCA C12. Which one do you prefer? And could you compare their strengths and weaknesses?
Apparently, I like them both the same but for different reasons. Both are excellent choices! So, if you like how a dynamic driver sounds with low sub-bass, luscious and spacious midrange, and transparent-like treble, then your best bet is to get the BLON BL03. But, if you're interested on how a hybrid might sound like with dynamic drive sub-bass which carries a punchy sonic-like signature and raw but fresh sounding BA midrange followed by exceptionally detailed BA treble, then your best bet is to go with the CCA C12. I don't see any weakness' on both other than the fit. So, in this case it's a personal choice that I can't make for you. Honestly, if you ask me? They are both incredibly balanced with extended lows and highs, but sound different making them unique to each other. So, I would personally suggest to save up for both, IMHO!

Hope this helps...

-Clear

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #26,904 of 33,689
@ShakeThoseCans In that first post, the way you were describing the weirdness in the stage and vocals I wondered if there could be a phase issue. Have you done a phase test?

Okay, I just did a few phase tests. In the L - R - Centre tests, the CNT-1 performs perfectly, demonstrating that there is no mix-up between L and R cables. The 'centre' voice is a little more 'behind me' than I prefer, but I seem to be picky.

In the phase tests, the 'in-phase' music or voice always sound better than the 'out-of-phase' sound. Sounds that are 'out-of-phase' present on the CNT-1 as disembodied and stressful.

I took the two L and R tips and pointed them at each other. They played in-phase music loudly when aligned, but fell almost silent when out-of-phase music was played. This suggests to me that the IEMs are not out-of-phase.

Overall, I think I am just being whiny about the soundstage. I guess I prefer huge soundstages, including ones that are 'tall' or 'high.' The CNT-1 is not a seriously flawed IEM, it has minor flaws and 'average' performance (for a $90 DD IEM) in a number of areas that I complained about. The only real concern, for me, is how the bass sometimes gets a little too big for its britches, and gets a little independent of the treble.

I tested it against the King Pro on another rendition of "Birdland" just now, and I still prefer the King Pro's soundstage. The King Pro seems to be able to handle multiple simultaneous voices from different directions in a carefree fashion, and just breezes through the track. Its soundstage seems more 'gradiated' as well, in that there's more positions from which you can hear voices on the L - R - Centre channels.

I'm lending the CNT-1 to someone else, a non-audiophile, to see if they detect any strangeness. They probably won't.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #26,905 of 33,689
Overall, I think I am just being whiny about the soundstage. I guess I prefer huge soundstages, including ones that are 'tall' or 'high.' The CNT-1 is not a seriously flawed IEM, it has minor flaws and 'average' performance (for a $90 DD IEM) in a number of areas that I complained about. The only real concern, for me, is how the bass sometimes gets a little too big for its britches, and gets a little independent of the treble.
Yup. You have it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #26,906 of 33,689
It is a 2 pin 0.78.

I use a cheap 8 core NiceHCK cable with mine and it's great.
Cheers. Me too - the copper $8 one - but it didn’t specify either size when I bought it. Just 2-pin. Fits fine.
But I’d like to get a silver plated one for my second Blon...and there were two size choices from TRN.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #26,907 of 33,689
Here's the Blon BL-03 with the cable from the Nicehck DB3, which uses the NX7-style 2-pin connector.

I hope to post my KZ ZSX review to my blog later today.

What’s that silver thing in your right hand? It looks like you have a webbed hand.

24E111B4-B758-48A4-9E15-6642981B2496.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #26,908 of 33,689
What’s that silver thing in your right hand? It looks like you have a webbed hand.

i think that's a white camera?

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #26,910 of 33,689
Cheers. Me too - the copper $8 one - but it didn’t specify either size when I bought it. Just 2-pin. Fits fine.
But I’d like to get a silver plated one for my second Blon...and there were two size choices from TRN.
A bit of a problem with "silver plated" cables is that they are mostly "silver- coloured" plated copper cables - tin, nickel alloys and silver alloys commonly used . Alloys have higher conductivities than pure metals, so coating pure copper wires even with sterling silver (925/1000) makes them worse conductors (if it matters).
So hearing the difference between copper and "silver plated" is wildly subjective :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back