Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #26,911 of 33,689
@FastAndClean

Can you compare Kanas to CNT for me real quick? I am thinking on pulling the trigger right now but your review of it sounds a lot like CNT. LOL don't wanna sidegrade if I don't have too. You said the bass on the Kanas is really boosted and the graph seems a lot more boosted then CNT. Is it? Is the bass quality samey or better?

Thanks I appreciate the insight. You are one of the only peeps here that have both. :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #26,912 of 33,689
So hearing the difference between copper and "silver plated" is wildly subjective :)

...which means a significant difference does not exist: subjective refers to imagination.

Well the SKC CNT1 product insert recommended 100 - 200 hours burn in LOL. Maybe it needs the hours to loosen the dynamic diaphragm? But I thought it sounded quite good to me OOTB.

5 seconds at 10 kHz means 50,000 diaphragm movements...how many do you need to loosen it?

Timbre = v90 is more natural to my ears, but remember ZSX isnt as steely as previous KZ. Just because of the timbre only, i would call its a big upgrade. they are closer to natural, but still below V90, again not by much.

Now about BLON BL-03 that I received in between my ZSX and V90, I love the tuning more.

I recently used the TRN V90 on the plane to and from Europe, mainly for watching movies on the new Boeing 787-9: Rocket Man, Star Wars The Force Awakens, Stan and Ollie, etc.: The sound was stellar. The V90 attract a lot of interest: over 4000 views on my blog. On the ground, for music, I mainly used the Drop + JVC HA-FDX01. Fantastic!

Upon arrival home, I used the Blon BL-03, which confirmed their quality.

Can't complain!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #26,913 of 33,689
Okay, I just did a few phase tests. In the L - R - Centre tests, the CNT-1 performs perfectly, demonstrating that there is no mix-up between L and R cables. The 'centre' voice is a little more 'behind me' than I prefer, but I seem to be picky.

In the phase tests, the 'in-phase' music or voice always sound better than the 'out-of-phase' sound. Sounds that are 'out-of-phase' present on the CNT-1 as disembodied and stressful.

I took the two L and R tips and pointed them at each other. They played in-phase music loudly when aligned, but fell almost silent when out-of-phase music was played. This suggests to me that the IEMs are not out-of-phase.

Overall, I think I am just being whiny about the soundstage. I guess I prefer huge soundstages, including ones that are 'tall' or 'high.' The CNT-1 is not a seriously flawed IEM, it has minor flaws and 'average' performance (for a $90 DD IEM) in a number of areas that I complained about. The only real concern, for me, is how the bass sometimes gets a little too big for its britches, and gets a little independent of the treble.

I tested it against the King Pro on another rendition of "Birdland" just now, and I still prefer the King Pro's soundstage. The King Pro seems to be able to handle multiple simultaneous voices from different directions in a carefree fashion, and just breezes through the track. Its soundstage seems more 'gradiated' as well, in that there's more positions from which you can hear voices on the L - R - Centre channels.

I'm lending the CNT-1 to someone else, a non-audiophile, to see if they detect any strangeness. They probably won't.
I think your impressions are fine. You hear what you hear. In a lot of ways, after thinking about it, I think there is just a little bit of difference in gear so things are a little different and also maybe you are highlighting REAL issue the IEM has with some of the songs you listen too. That's awesome man. I wish everyone here could do that. It really gives people a more in depth knowledge before commiting to buying. For sure these things cant do it all. I actually have always said I think they are really a commercial sounding IEM with a lil bit of technical that we don't usually see from commercial IEMs.

Awesome job again man. :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #26,916 of 33,689
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #26,917 of 33,689
A bit of a problem with "silver plated" cables is that they are mostly "silver- coloured" plated copper cables - tin, nickel alloys and silver alloys commonly used . Alloys have higher conductivities than pure metals, so coating pure copper wires even with sterling silver (925/1000) makes them worse conductors (if it matters).
So hearing the difference between copper and "silver plated" is wildly subjective :)
It was more an aesthetic choice on the second set - to match the silver shells. And curiosity re sound differences.
Subjective? Ha. That’s your opinion :)

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #26,918 of 33,689
@FastAndClean

Can you compare Kanas to CNT for me real quick? I am thinking on pulling the trigger right now but your review of it sounds a lot like CNT. LOL don't wanna sidegrade if I don't have too. You said the bass on the Kanas is really boosted and the graph seems a lot more boosted then CNT. Is it? Is the bass quality samey or better?

Thanks I appreciate the insight. You are one of the only peeps here that have both. :)
i consider the Kanas to be a bit better but they are close in overall sound quality
Kanas have more sub bass, mid bass similar quantity, CNT1 have faster and more tight bass, the mids are a bit better on the Kanas, they are a bit forward and very creamy and smooth, the CNT1 have good mids but a bit laid back compared to Kanas, the treble on Kanas is darker and finer in the upper treble, however before that peak in the upper treble there is depression on the Kanas, so if the song have no upper treble recorded can come out as dark, CNT1 have more sparkle in the middle treble, so tonally sound a bit more balanced there but the treble on the Kanas has no grain to it, it is very gentle and sweet sounding, on CNT1 the treble has a bit of a grain
but overall Kanas will be dark and slow, sweet and lush sounding but slow compared to the CNT1
hope that helps

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #26,919 of 33,689
...which means a significant difference does not exist: subjective refers to imagination.

5 seconds at 10 kHz means 50,000 diaphragm movements...how many do you need to loosen it?

I recently used the TRN V90 on the plane to and from Europe, mainly for watching movies on the new Boeing 787-9: Rocket Man, Star Wars The Force Awakens, Stan and Ollie, etc.: The sound was stellar. The V90 attract a lot of interest: over 4000 views on my blog. On the ground, for music, I mainly used the Drop + JVC HA-FDX01. Fantastic!

Upon arrival home, I used the Blon BL-03, which confirmed their quality.

Can't complain!
Life is good sometimes...... :)

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #26,920 of 33,689
Imaginary differences in an imaginary IEM soundstage may be a real problem :) :)
haha. Quite.

If anyone can give us an objective view on anything, please do...and we can give our opinion - based on our imagination of course :)

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #26,921 of 33,689
Hi this is my amateur review of the Semkarch SKC CNT1: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/semkarch-cnt1.23130/reviews#review-22708

I'm still waiting for the biggest flavour of the week for single DD IEMs - the BLON BL-03 - to come and I'll update this review once it arrives. But I would say the CNT1 is a very good single DD IEM at the current fire sale prices. It does most things well and would suit bassheads well.
It's a pity the CNT1 is no longer in production though. And a bigger pity that the BLON BL-03 came to town the same time that the CNT1 was getting some recognition LOL.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #26,922 of 33,689
I find it a bit funny that no one talked about the CNT1 when it was priced $95 but now when it's $3x it rivals $100 offering lol. No disrespect to anyone for this, I just find it amusing.

I bought my pair for $70 as a part of a bigger order when it was first released and it went in the "not quite good enough" drawer pretty fast. I prefer them with A5 filters that brings out some more air and energy in them. Maybe I need to take the time to try them out with all the A6 filters as well and see if I can find something that makes them more to my preferences.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #26,923 of 33,689
I find it a bit funny that no one talked about the CNT1 when it was priced $95 but now when it's $3x it rivals $100 offering lol. No disrespect to anyone for this, I just find it amusing.

I bought my pair for $70 as a part of a bigger order when it was first released and it went in the "not quite good enough" drawer pretty fast. I prefer them with A5 filters that brings out some more air and energy in them. Maybe I need to take the time to try them out with all the A6 filters as well and see if I can find something that makes them more to my preferences.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt and nobody appreciates something till it is gone LOL.
Yeah at the original $95 USD pricing, I wouldn't have recommended it TBH. But considering it was retailing at near 100 bucks, it should theoretically be a side grade in sound quality to some 100 buck single DD stuff.

But at the current $35 USD, it is a good price for those that want a single DD IEM with customizable filters.
The very very unfortunate thing about the CNT1, even at this firesale price, is that the BLON BL-03 is still cheaper (and based on early reviews, better) at $28 USD.
Looks like even though CNT1 production has ceased, it can't even go in peace.

Do let us know if the filters from A6 can improve the CNT1! I would be interested to know too.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #26,924 of 33,689
As per measurements I made CNT1 with black filter is a smidgen brighter than with LZ A5 Blue Filter. All other filters I have (stock and A5 only) make them darker/bassier. I bought a set of A5 filters from Penon after I bought the Semkarch last year. I thought they were okay for the price I paid (£57) but they didn't stick.

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #26,925 of 33,689
Maybe familiarity breeds contempt and nobody appreciates something till it is gone LOL.
Yeah at the original $95 USD pricing, I wouldn't have recommended it TBH. But considering it was retailing at near 100 bucks, it should theoretically be a side grade in sound quality to some 100 buck single DD stuff.

But at the current $35 USD, it is a good price for those that want a single DD IEM with customizable filters.
The very very unfortunate thing about the CNT1, even at this firesale price, is that the BLON BL-03 is still cheaper (and based on early reviews, better) at $28 USD.
Looks like even though CNT1 production has ceased, it can't even go in peace.

Do let us know if the filters from A6 can improve the CNT1! I would be interested to know too.
where can you buy them at 35 usd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back