Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #14,206 of 33,689
i'm planning to buy urbanfun hifi, i'm wondering, is there any iem that have better sounds for rock music in the same price or even cheaper than urbanfun hifi ?
The Urbanfun Hifi (both Beryllium and Hybrid) are honestly the best you can get for the price when it comes to rock music. They’re my second favorite earphones right behind the Tin Audio T2.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #14,207 of 33,689
I'd agree with both the above comments but suggest the Be version is just a hair better than the hybrid although both are good. I think the coherency and imaging is better on the Be and the only real advantage to the hybrid is a bit more treble extension.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #14,209 of 33,689
I got the KZ ZS3s as an interim pair of earphones when I broke the Audioflys I had for 4 years. Putting them on is a bit too much of a production for me. You have to hold the earpiece in exactly the right way, put it in, rotate it forward, then hold it with the index finger of one hand while you reach over your head with the other hand and loop the cable over your ear. I irritated my ears from rotating the earpieces.

what I do is I start with the unit in my hand and hold it in the direction it's to face when inserted, I then raise the phone up toward my ear but come from behind the ear, allowing the cable to get hitched behind my ear, then plug in the earphone. ez.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #14,210 of 33,689
I'd agree with both the above comments but suggest the Be version is just a hair better than the hybrid although both are good. I think the coherency and imaging is better on the Be and the only real advantage to the hybrid is a bit more treble extension.

Wow, surprising. I thought the DD in the hybrid version WAS beryllium as well?

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #14,211 of 33,689
what I do is I start with the unit in my hand and hold it in the direction it's to face when inserted, I then raise the phone up toward my ear but come from behind the ear, allowing the cable to get hitched behind my ear, then plug in the earphone. ez.

So you plug in the 2-pin plugs every time you use them, AFTER you have already put them in your ears?

How do you see where the plugs go, and how do you ensure you plug them in with the pins the correct direction (so they’re in phase)?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #14,212 of 33,689
So you plug in the 2-pin plugs every time you use them, AFTER you have already put them in your ears?

How do you see where the plugs go, and how do you ensure you plug them in with the pins the correct direction (so they’re in phase)?

No! i would 1. lose my patience and 2, wouldn't have the coordination for that level of movement. there's several ways you can do it,all pretty much rely on your index finger to roll your helix part of the ear through the memory wire gap. it takes some practice but it's easily half the time and effort of the way we all do in the beginning, i thought there' had to be a better way so i started just plonking them in and then trying to rip my ear flap through and thought it's a little uncomfortable, experimented with ways to approach and sometimes just comeing from the back slightly above I can told the earphone.memory wire ensemble and kind of use my index finger to guide the ear through as I come down toward the ear, i'll admit it took a few attempts but I found a solution that worked for me. best of luck :D

I'll add also. I hold the IEM unit with my thumb and middle finger so my index finger is free to act like a feeler/guide/poker/reamer of sorts, it becomes a natural kind of motion once you have it down, sometimes you might just tug the memory wire down again just to get a bit of a snug hold,

also. sorry for being Vague my instructions are probably clear as mud, I just got tired of the whole rigmarole of inserting them, holding then dilly dallying with the cable, I thought I have to think of another way or these will sadly sit in the bottom of the drawer and My Memories of Value chi-fi..fade...I also bought some for my sister and I tried to show her in person (just the right way to wear them not my technique) and she just kept jamming them in her ear like regular buds and I thought, these were a bad idea so i'm looking for a simple straight forward bud for her now. But i'm just chiming in to tell you with a little patience you might find a manouvre that will work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #14,213 of 33,689
I just got tired of the whole rigmarole of inserting them, holding then dilly dallying with the cable

I'll give you a "like" just for using the word "rigamarole".

Are you saying you put the earpieces in with them already in the rotated position, so that little protrusion on the earpiece slips in where it's supposed to?

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #14,214 of 33,689
Wow, surprising. I thought the DD in the hybrid version WAS beryllium as well?

I did too but when put side by side with a friends hybrid, they do have a different signature. I'm not sure they even have a crossover so not sure what would account for it unless maybe it is simply the physical arrangement that blocks some of the sound from the dynamic.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #14,215 of 33,689
No! i would 1. lose my patience and 2, wouldn't have the coordination for that level of movement. there's several ways you can do it,all pretty much rely on your index finger to roll your helix part of the ear through the memory wire gap. it takes some practice but it's easily half the time and effort of the way we all do in the beginning, i thought there' had to be a better way so i started just plonking them in and then trying to rip my ear flap through and thought it's a little uncomfortable, experimented with ways to approach and sometimes just comeing from the back slightly above I can told the earphone.memory wire ensemble and kind of use my index finger to guide the ear through as I come down toward the ear, i'll admit it took a few attempts but I found a solution that worked for me. best of luck :D

i'
I'll give you a "like" just for using the word "rigamarole".

Are you saying you put the earpieces in with them already in the rotated position, so that little protrusion on the earpiece slips in where it's supposed to?

ah kind of, it's not as I explain supposed to be a perfect science, it's going to be a little bit of a Trial and error thing, but essentially, if you can aim to have the little anatomical knobbly piece in a motion that best lands it in place as you rotate to get the little memory wire piece over (and behind) the ear, sometimes you can over rotate and then as you come back have your index finger just kind of stop the wire from just sliding back on the business side of your ear, essentially using the index finger as a guide to help the wire go behind.. I guess I have small/medium ears, this might be why I can utilise the method maybe, i know some people have larger ears. and the wire is all one size so this might be an issue, in terms of size, i also mean ears can be thicker than others too haha.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #14,216 of 33,689
Enjoy reading! :dt880smile:

Head-Fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-falcon-c.22843/reviews#review-19689
Website: https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/dunufalcon-c/

photo_2018-01-07_14-31-41.jpg

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #14,218 of 33,689
i'

ah kind of, it's not as I explain supposed to be a perfect science, it's going to be a little bit of a Trial and error thing, but essentially, if you can aim to have the little anatomical knobbly piece in a motion that best lands it in place as you rotate to get the little memory wire piece over (and behind) the ear, sometimes you can over rotate and then as you come back have your index finger just kind of stop the wire from just sliding back on the business side of your ear, essentially using the index finger as a guide to help the wire go behind.. I guess I have small/medium ears, this might be why I can utilise the method maybe, i know some people have larger ears. and the wire is all one size so this might be an issue, in terms of size, i also mean ears can be thicker than others too haha.
I see...you've eliminated the "reach over your head with the other hand" part. I'll try it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #14,220 of 33,689
Trust me, there is nothing bad about the KZ EDR1, EDR2, or HDS3. I wouldn't own multiple pairs nor recommend them if they were junk.

Plus I recently just picked up yet another spare set of EDR1 and EDR2, because they were under $4 ($3.77 shipped for the non-microphone version) - 1/3 of the price of the Einsear T2. How's that for an attractive price tag LOL?

The Einsear T2 is great too, but isn't 3xs "better" than the EDR1/EDR2 in my opinion.

I don't have any experience with the Piston 4, but I do have the Xiaomi Pro HD and also the Xiaomi Piston "Fresh Version". They are both great IEMs for the money, and the Piston "Fresh Version" is a tremendous deal for $3.99 (on sale at Gearbest with a coupon quite often). There's a piece of foam stuffed into the nozzle of the Piston "Fresh Version" though - for best sound you'll want to remove the foam using a sewing needle (a 30 second procedure). Xiaomi Pro HD can be a tad sibilant on some tracks, and some find it lacking in sub-bass (which throws off the overall balance). To improve the sub-bass, you will need to seal the front vent with a small piece of tape.

Where are you located, and were you planning on buying from Aliexpress? You should be able to get all of those IEMs from Aliexpress (including the Urbanfun Hifi hybrid, one of the best on the list).

Also, be aware that there's 2 versions of the MEMT X5 - an original version and a new version (with different tuning). I should also mention that there's 2 versions of the Urbanfun too - one is the hybrid with a grey cable, and the other is a single driver beryllium with a black cable. You'd want the hybrid with grey cable, which confuses a lot of people.

How do you differentiate between the two memt x5s? How different is the tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back