Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #10,501 of 33,689
I don't equate extended listening and burn in.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #10,503 of 33,689
So I'm not a cable guy, but... holy crap. The cable on the ZS5 makes a BIG difference. I think whatever they use stock is just a piece of garbage, so getting a decent cable actually lets these wake up.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10,504 of 33,689
So I'm not a cable guy, but... holy ****. The cable on the ZS5 makes a BIG difference. I think whatever they use stock is just a piece of garbage, so getting a decent cable actually lets these wake up.

Which one are you using that is better?

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #10,505 of 33,689
Which one are you using that is better?
The silver upgrade cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWL9S2E/

I seriously think whatever they used stock is just trash, because these things sound significantly better now. I'm someone who thinks that cables are cables, either it works or doesn't, not that expensive cables improve sound, but a bad cable can definitely hold headphones back. The Philips X1 cable was weirdly high resistance, same with the VModa M100 stock mic cable. I think the ZS5 goes on that list, too.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #10,506 of 33,689
The silver upgrade cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWL9S2E/

I seriously think whatever they used stock is just trash, because these things sound significantly better now. I'm someone who thinks that cables are cables, either it works or doesn't, not that expensive cables improve sound, but a bad cable can definitely hold headphones back. The Philips X1 cable was weirdly high resistance, same with the VModa M100 stock mic cable. I think the ZS5 goes on that list, too.

You have the 1more Quad, too, right? How does the ZS5 Compare? I'm considering the ZS5 For gym use with the Bluetooth cable adaptor from KZ. If it's 80-90% there, I might pull the trigger.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #10,507 of 33,689
You have the 1more Quad, too, right? How does the ZS5 Compare? I'm considering the ZS5 For gym use with the Bluetooth cable adaptor from KZ. If it's 80-90% there, I might pull the trigger.

To be honest, Quad vs ZS5 comes down to your feeling of mids. The ZS5 has more a v-shape and the Quad is more a bassy tilt, however the Quad really reminds me of the Philips X1/2 in that for the bass emphasis, it doesn't have the midrange sucked out. The ZS5 is seriously amazing once you switch the cable out, but it lacks the liquid smoothness of the Quads. If you're looking for gym use? Do it. Don't even pause and question it. Just get them.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #10,508 of 33,689
Thanks. That's an option. I do have the ZS5 and they are an an amazing earphone. Actually I have 2, but on one of them the holes for the pins are too large and the cable falls out. I tried the cable from the other pair, and they fall out too. Rather easily too like when I am just wearing them they fall out or even if I place them down somewhere and pick them up they fall out. I have tried to pry apart the two metal pins on the cable which seems to help for a few minutes, but they still fall out. I have tried shoving them in pretty damned hard too. I am sure I have the orientation right as I used a magnifying glass to make sure the "rounded" side on the cable and earphone were matched up. Plus the defective ones sound good, but not as good as the other pair. So I am worried about KZ's QC on the ZS5. Hell, I guess if I wanna get cheap I could just buy the KZ Bluetooth Cable and super glue them on and call it a day. haha.

Anybody else know any Bluetooth option in the $25-$30 range?

I keep recommending the QCY QY19 since i think they are great BT earphones! http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_640306.html?wid=27

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #10,509 of 33,689
I don't get the Hype of these Zs5. They are good for $30. But that is the Extent of it.

JMHO

TWIN

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #10,510 of 33,689
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #10,511 of 33,689
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #10,512 of 33,689
Are there any gems that has a neutral signature, with great clarity and resolution? What I mean by gems is performance per price ratio(if we compare to some rediculously priced iems now a days, they got to exist).

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #10,513 of 33,689
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #10,514 of 33,689
You will notice when you switch two significantly different signatured headphones, the sound differences in a significant manner.

For example. Let's say you like a certain signatured sound, and to some others it sounds bright or has lots of sparkle, or forward, whatever have you. And then you switch to a different sounding headphone that is more recessed in in the highs, you may think those headphones are not so good. But, if you gives those headphones time for the brain to adjust, you get used to the signature over time, and may find them enjoyable as the ears got used to them. But, when you immediately switch headphones, it's more like a contrast, so impressions that are from immediate switching vs long terms listen, will differ.

People that are not aware of this can mistake this as equipment burn-in. There is no signficant enough differences in equipment changes that were measured. It's your brain.

Very true, and often overlooked as you mentioned.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #10,515 of 33,689
I don't get the Hype of these Zs5. They are good for $30. But that is the Extent of it.

JMHO

TWIN

It's one of the better KZs, which have a lot of love on HF (as a brand). They're not all that and a bag of chips, but they are nice for the price. I paid $18 for 1 and $10 for a backup pair. They are an excellent value for that price.

Why Twin, do you get the feeling people are comparing them to multi-$100 IEMs or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back