Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #10,531 of 33,689
KZ ZS5, brain burn in, cables
my brief comments to these topics of the last pages.
Turned yesterday from my FLC8s to the new arrival KZ ZS5. First impression on the ZS5: boomy muddy sub bass, mid bass kick shortage and lack in bass clarity, slightly recessed mids, highs don't sound 100% natural. But thought give the brain burn in a chance.
After some tracks it worked. Found the ZS5 not that bad anymore. Even got almost used to the boomy bass though was still aware of the extra portion in this frequency. Liked the to my ears quite realistic voices tonality. Did not find the mids too recessed anymore. Still the kick bass lack. Got more used to the warmth of the sound.
Tried 3 types of cables on the ZS5 (stock, upgrade silver cables, cable from the FLC8s). There are definitely differences I can hear. The minor is between the stock and silver upgrade cable. IMO the upgrade cable is not worth the "upgrade". I would not prefer it over the stock cable. With the FLC8s cable the ZS5 turned into a brighter more airy character.
In the evening turned back to the FLC8s in direct comparison and I had the same impressions on the ZS5 like firstly described above. No, better say, I immediately realized the big difference in sound quality between the two.

So I agree the KZ5 might be a good pick at its price point but cannot compare to really good earphones. But this is of course what you expect between a 20€ and a 300€ IEM.

Who still don't believe a different cable produces different sound to an IEM should e.g. try the Pinnacle P1 cables on other IEM models. I think the P1 cables are very special and well fitting to the P1 (but not good at some other IEMs).

Just my two cents.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #10,532 of 33,689
I just ordered the musicmaker toneking nine tails. Has anyone heard anything about them or talked to someone who has heard them? I'm really curious as to how they sound. I will definitely post my impressions in a couple of weeks.

I'm unaware of any ordering yet, but look forward tp your impressions.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #10,533 of 33,689
Thanks guys. Those look pretty nice for Bluetooth. On sale at Amazon for $16.89 free ship w/ Prime. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZB2Q3H/ref=twister_B071HPCGV5?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Thanks guys. Those look pretty nice for Bluetooth. On sale at Amazon for $16.89 free ship w/ Prime. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZB2Q3H/ref=twister_B071HPCGV5?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Hey 'waverider", I got these....the ADAX S-11 wirleless in-ear earphones and they are incredibly wide at 20 to 40Khz and the only ones I have so far. I have tried different wireless earphones and so far the sound on these are insane for a wireless product.

Don't it remind you of a certain brand that starts with "V" and ends with "SONIC"?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.YKinhO&id=539929297261&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

*Courtesy of taobao -ADAX page
TB2AIrlah3X61Bjy0FdXXanuXXa_!!2991181522.jpg
TB2fTjVXoWO_eBjSZPcXXbopVXa_!!2991181522.gif
TB2GBPYXk5M_eBjSZFrXXXPgVXa_!!2991181522.gif
TB2_Z6WXk1M_eBjSZFOXXc0rFXa_!!2991181522.gif
TB2_KfYXcCO_eBjSZFzXXaRiVXa_!!2991181522.gif

....I'll download some of picks of mine when I get a chance some time during the week. :wink:

-Clear

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #10,536 of 33,689
I think he was asking about the DAPs you have listed in your signature: Benjie S5, xDuoo X2, AGPTEK M28, Walnut, Cayin N3

His original questions about sound quality etc (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...phones-and-iems.820747/page-700#post-13641305) was about your DAP list. I think he's asking you which one is provides the most value (of the ones in your signature list).

Unless I'm missing something...

Thanks bro for the clarification . I'm sure he has tried all of them and probably in tuned to current daps. So would like to seek his advice . Thanks

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #10,537 of 33,689
Or stretch that budget a bit and go balanced with a Aune M1s. As long as you don't need anything other than a player.
There's no EQ, no apps, no wifi, no nothing. it's the simplest player ever but it's hard to fault it's sound. Check out some reviews of it as well as the other suggestions.

I can't remember if this is the model having 4 impedance .

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #10,538 of 33,689
I think he was asking about the DAPs you have listed in your signature: Benjie S5, xDuoo X2, AGPTEK M28, Walnut, Cayin N3

His original questions about sound quality etc (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...phones-and-iems.820747/page-700#post-13641305) was about your DAP list. I think he's asking you which one is provides the most value (of the ones in your signature list).

Unless I'm missing something...

Ah I thought he was asking about his list. Value leader has to be the S5, then Walnut, N3, X2, M28, IMO.

head slap2.gif

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #10,539 of 33,689
I now own the zs3, zst, and zs5. I have had the zs3 for about 8 months, the zst for a month and the zs5 since Friday. I have used comply t-500 foam tips with all.

I can't accurately rank the zs5 yet, but I'm pretty sure it's my all around favorite. The ZST is a lot better than I thought it would be based on the reviews and actually reminds me of the sound signature of the TH-X00. The ZS3 has moments of greatness for some types of music and movies. The Brad Pitt movie Fury on a cross country flight was fantastic with the ZS3, but the comfort is not great for long sessions on my ears. The ZS5 seems to be the most refined of the three but it's not without it's flaws. It certainly digs deep when it's required but the bass isn't nearly as present as the zst. The soundstage reminds me quite a bit of the Sennheiser HD-6XX which is to say not huge. Strangely enough I have now had three separate experiences with the zs5 where sounds appear to be coming from outside of my head. Very unusual especially when running. I need more time with the ZS5 but I'm pretty sure it is going to end up as my all around favorite of the three. ZST will probably still be king for my Run the Jewels sessions though :o2smile:

I will say none of the three fit very well in my ears and all seem to stick out quite a ways. I think the ZS5 and ZST are more comfortable than the ZS3 but I think I have smallish ears.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #10,540 of 33,689
Hey 'waverider", I got these....the ADAX S-11 wirleless in-ear earphones and they are incredibly wide at 20 to 40Khz and the only ones I have so far. I have tried different wireless earphones and so far the sound on these are insane for a wireless product.

Don't it remind you of a certain brand that starts with "V" and ends with "SONIC"?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.YKinhO&id=539929297261&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

*Courtesy of taobao -ADAX page

....I'll download some of picks of mine when I get a chance some time during the week. :wink:

-Clear

Mahalo brother Clear. Looks good for a Bluetooth earphone. Build quality OK? Reminds me of the VIVO XE800 which were my favorite Chinese earbuds just a couple of years ago. Even the nozzles rotate on the S-11 like the XE800. S-11 are for sale at Amazon.com for $26.99 which is about $4.50 more than your Tabao link - not bad. Faster shipping and better warranty through Amazon. 111 reviews on Amazon and 4.2 out of 5 rating. I did ask this question on Amazon, but Sir Clearhead are these in fact the S-11 as they are not marked as so. They are just being sold as "ADAX Best Wireless Earbuds Lightweight Sweatproof Bluetooth Headphones"

7275142_4be2ee31-47a1-408d-9508-205288747558.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #10,542 of 33,689
Mahalo brother Clear. Looks good for a Bluetooth earphone. Build quality OK? Reminds me of the VIVO XE800 which were my favorite Chinese earbuds just a couple of years ago. Even the nozzles rotate on the S-11 like the XE800. S-11 are for sale at Amazon.com for $26.99 which is about $4.50 more than your Tabao link - not bad. Faster shipping and better warranty through Amazon. 111 reviews on Amazon and 4.2 out of 5 rating. I did ask this question on Amazon, but Sir Clearhead are these in fact the S-11 as they are not marked as so. They are just being sold as "ADAX Best Wireless Earbuds Lightweight Sweatproof Bluetooth Headphones"

Here's what looks to be the identical item, only much cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Tecart-Runner-Headphones-Cancelling-Sweatproof/dp/B01MXO66EA

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #10,543 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back