Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #10,516 of 33,689
I just ordered the musicmaker toneking nine tails. Has anyone heard anything about them or talked to someone who has heard them? I'm really curious as to how they sound. I will definitely post my impressions in a couple of weeks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #10,517 of 33,689
It's one of the better KZs, which have a lot of love on HF (as a brand). They're not all that and a bag of chips, but they are nice for the price. I paid $18 for 1 and $10 for a backup pair. They are an excellent value for that price.

Why Twin, do you get the feeling people are comparing them to multi-$100 IEMs or something?

Well, I think someone was comparing them pretty favorably to the 1More Quad one page back. For me, they do enough things right to be able to seriously listen to them. In the end, it is really about listening to music. When I was playing a lot, most of the really good musicians I knew did not even have stereo systems, they could hear what they needed to hear from a transistor radio. If they wanted live sound, they got it every day in the symphony orchestras they played in! They were listening to the music and not to the sound...

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #10,518 of 33,689
I don't get the Hype of these Zs5. They are good for $30. But that is the Extent of it.

JMHO

TWIN

For sure. That's what they are. They're the standouts in the sub-$50 region. I'd never pick them over my more expensive sets, but they're fun as hell and a great buy for how cheap they go.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #10,519 of 33,689
I don't get the Hype of these Zs5. They are good for $30. But that is the Extent of it.

JMHO

TWIN

Yeah, agreed. They also do not fit some ears, mine included, very well.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #10,520 of 33,689
Who is getting the bgvp dm5 quad drivers
I just want to know why it's called the DM5 when it has 4 drivers per side. Are they trying to confuse us?

main-qimg-97074791b24b6bc67c20b6049d69ab17-c.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #10,521 of 33,689
You will notice when you switch two significantly different signatured headphones, the sound differences in a significant manner.

For example. Let's say you like a certain signatured sound, and to some others it sounds bright or has lots of sparkle, or forward, whatever have you. And then you switch to a different sounding headphone that is more recessed in in the highs, you may think those headphones are not so good. But, if you gives those headphones time for the brain to adjust, you get used to the signature over time, and may find them enjoyable as the ears got used to them. But, when you immediately switch headphones, it's more like a contrast, so impressions that are from immediate switching vs long terms listen, will differ.

People that are not aware of this can mistake this as equipment burn-in. There is no signficant enough differences in equipment changes that were measured. It's your brain.
This is true IMO. It makes things difficult when you have a bunch of stuff pending review but have to spend a minimum of several days or a week listening exclusively to the one you're currently testing (even if you don't particularly like it for whatever reason).

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #10,522 of 33,689
There are different sound signatures, and often you hear people that like band music tend to like V or U shaped signature which for example TF10 were known for(and was popularized after the time of initiation). Which Jerry Harvey was famous of creating BA with cross-overs for band members. Seems like he working with bands, creates this type of signature. Perhaps it's a signature bands prefer as monitors, and of course with many types of musicians using IEMs now, there can be various preferences to sounds tuning signatures.

People have music preferences, and as ear phone signature varies, people will find certain signature sound better over others when it comes to genre of music. Some may say(I am guilty of this) they like neutral sound, but may actually prefer forward mids. I think there are some things people wish that can contradict signature types, and perhaps impossible to achieve.

Anyway, you get used to V or U signature, and then try on mid forward signature, you immediate notice the differences, and may think quality is worse, but in reality it's tuned differently.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #10,525 of 33,689
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a pair of high-end IEMs and going for a Chinese brand seems like a great way to save a chunk of change. Sorry if this has been covered already but has anyone tried a pair of these 12 BA driver IEMs yet?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...107.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.52d7f288ulqICM

There's also another with 12 drivers from a different brand:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...777.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.61fdf3f2ZNo03m

They have another IEM with 10 BA drivers + 1 dynamic driver per side that looks interesting, especially as I'm a basshead:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...151.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.52d7f288HoE6UG

I also found these BEHEMOTH 18 driver IEMs which unfortunately are more than I'm willing to spend:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...g-Earphone-With-2Pin/1825606_32801533470.html

I haven't bought products from Aliexpress before and have no experience with these brands, so it might be a gamble spending so much on an unheard product. But the value for IEMs with so many drivers seems leaps and bounds ahead of the offerings of well known Western audiophile brands, many of which I suspect are manufactured in the same Chinese factories anyway.

I was wondering the same how those high end Chinese iems sound. Let me know how they sound if you get one.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #10,526 of 33,689
Has anybody tried the new 2017 super audio 6?

There fairly cheap compare to the old version.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #10,527 of 33,689
I just want to know why it's called the DM5 when it has 4 drivers per side. Are they trying to confuse us?

I asked a similar question before (related to why KZ skipped over the next logical model "ZS4" when going from ZS3 to ZS5, especially since the ZS5 has four drivers as well).

The answer was that the number 4 was somehow unlucky or bad omen to the Chinese or something along those lines.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #10,529 of 33,689
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #10,530 of 33,689

Well for starters they're now as cheap as $20 not $30. I don't doubt they won't stack up that well compared to $100 earphones, hardly surprising really. But for $20, given what that sort of money would have bought 12 months ago these are a big leap forward.

People love a bargain and alot of people can't afford to spend $100 IEMs regularly, that's what people are enthusing about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back