Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #10,486 of 33,689
Bull****.

If you spend a week nonstop listening to something and think it sounds better, all that's happened is you've adjusted to their sound Stockholm Syndrome style. You could take anyone and force them to listen to a headphone for days on end and they'd start to like its sound.

So there is no such thing as burn in? And it will never sound any better than when it came out of the box? I know what I like and no matter how long I listen I do not change my mind unless the signature changes to my liking.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #10,487 of 33,689
So there is no such thing as burn in? And it will never sound any better than when it came out of the box? I know what I like and no matter how long I listen I do not change my mind unless the signature changes to my liking.
Hi bro, would like to seek your advice on dap

DAPs: Benjie S5, xDuoo X2, AGPTEK M28, Walnut, Cayin N3

Based on your knowledge what is good for sub 150.
- compact ( smaller than iBasso DX90 )
- more than 10 hr battery life
- good SQ ( must be better than iPhone )
- hi res good to have but I'm fine with up to 24/96
- LCD
- Wheel ( would be good )

I'm looking at X5mk3 actually but didn't want to spend too much on this.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #10,488 of 33,689
Hi bro, would like to seek your advice on dap

DAPs: Benjie S5, xDuoo X2, AGPTEK M28, Walnut, Cayin N3

Based on your knowledge what is good for sub 150.
- compact ( smaller than iBasso DX90 )
- more than 10 hr battery life
- good SQ ( must be better than iPhone )
- hi res good to have but I'm fine with up to 24/96
- LCD
- Wheel ( would be good )

I'm looking at X5mk3 actually but didn't want to spend too much on this.

The xduoo X3 is better than the X2, but only has a 10-hr battery life, no wheel, and you have to install Rockbox to realize the full capabilities of the player (and to avoid a few irritating bugs in the stock firmware). The xduoo X10 ticks all of your boxes, but I have no personal experience with it though.

Cayin N3 is a great player - the thread is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...uetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...uetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/

No experience with the others in your list.

Good luck,
- Slater

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #10,489 of 33,689
The CH9T is terrific. Does anyone know how it compares to the Denon AH-C821?
I suppose this answer doesnt belong here but I'll answer you anyways. I auditioned the Denon AH-C821 back when I went to Eartron in Taiwan, in summary these were the MOST subbass earphones I have ever heard( even more than rock zircon by a notch) and mids sounded quite satisfying but the highs were virtually not there/ very recessed highs

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #10,490 of 33,689
i seriously don't get the hype on zs5.

i cannot say 2 drivers useless but there is something funny going on. bass was really wonky. it punches but it does not give sound? i really can't express on English. but I'm thinking maybe one dynamic driver is giving bass and another one is just making vibrations in the iems case.
Wow this is the perfect description of how I listened to the KZ ZS5 last time. Im pretty sure I got correct direction of the cable insertion. Anyways I already sent back my KZ ZS5 for a replacement because it broke down on me. Guess I'll post another new impression once I receive my new pair

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #10,491 of 33,689
I'll have to disagree. That is enough time for an initial impression only. Not for an informed opinion.

I find that my first impression within the first 30 minutes or so is usually the correct judgement. I think beyond that time my brain/ears start to adjust to the sound and get used to deficiencies or overemphasis, well almost there are limits.

This is why I often change earphones when I'm reviewing to help remind me of a reference point. I guess everyone could be different though.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #10,492 of 33,689
BTW this is largely unrelated, but the KZ ZS5 with the upgraded cable sounds so much damn better. I think the stock was just a POS.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #10,493 of 33,689
I suppose this answer doesnt belong here but I'll answer you anyways. I auditioned the Denon AH-C821 back when I went to Eartron in Taiwan, in summary these were the MOST subbass earphones I have ever heard( even more than rock zircon by a notch) and mids sounded quite satisfying but the highs were virtually not there/ very recessed highs
Thanks, I might try to grab a pair sometimes though since I now have the FX850 my thirst for new IEMs has considerably lessened and I don't think the Denons will top those. All japanese so OK in this thread I guess.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #10,494 of 33,689
The xduoo X3 is better than the X2, but only has a 10-hr battery life, no wheel, and you have to install Rockbox to realize the full capabilities of the player (and to avoid a few irritating bugs in the stock firmware). The xduoo X10 ticks all of your boxes, but I have no personal experience with it though.

Cayin N3 is a great player - the thread is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...uetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...uetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/

No experience with the others in your list.

Good luck,
- Slater

I agree. I find the X2 somewhat lacking (I've seen X3 on sale lately). I was amping it with my A1 and Walnut. That is quit a lump.

The N3 I find excellent value and what I listen to almost 100%

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #10,495 of 33,689
Do you do your full review after 30 minutes? If you find deficiencies do you try to rectify them?

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #10,497 of 33,689
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #10,499 of 33,689
Or stretch that budget a bit and go balanced with a Aune M1s. As long as you don't need anything other than a player.
There's no EQ, no apps, no wifi, no nothing. it's the simplest player ever but it's hard to fault it's sound. Check out some reviews of it as well as the other suggestions.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #10,500 of 33,689
You will notice when you switch two significantly different signatured headphones, the sound differences in a significant manner.

For example. Let's say you like a certain signatured sound, and to some others it sounds bright or has lots of sparkle, or forward, whatever have you. And then you switch to a different sounding headphone that is more recessed in in the highs, you may think those headphones are not so good. But, if you gives those headphones time for the brain to adjust, you get used to the signature over time, and may find them enjoyable as the ears got used to them. But, when you immediately switch headphones, it's more like a contrast, so impressions that are from immediate switching vs long terms listen, will differ.

People that are not aware of this can mistake this as equipment burn-in. There is no signficant enough differences in equipment changes that were measured. It's your brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back