Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #24,451 of 33,689
There’s other stuff you can use; anything with a thin and sharp point: a sharp wooden toothpick, thumb tack, syringe needle, diabetic lancet, tip of an Xacto blade, safety pin, straightened staple, hat pin, brooch pin, tie tack, etc

Haha.... you are too serious. I meant that I had never lifted the lid of a toilet seat with a sewing needle. Apparently you have:)

"you just lift it up 50-75% with a sewing needle (like how you lift the lid of a toilet)"

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #24,452 of 33,689
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #24,453 of 33,689
It's good this ES100 is it? Off topic I know but...does it improve Spotify SQ through iphone?

Fwiw the ES100 was my best source purchase last year and is by far my most used source for over a year now.

It's one of those rare audio products that everyone seems to like.....

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #24,454 of 33,689
Fwiw the ES100 was my best source purchase last year and is by far my most used source for over a year now.

Ooo dear. Stop that right now. What do you use it with? Not to lift a toilet seat, I hope :wink:

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #24,455 of 33,689
Ooo dear. Stop that right now. What do you use it with? Not to lift a toilet seat, I hope :wink:

I use it with everything from IEM's to the HD58X. It's only the HD800S, HE560 and my modded T50rp that feels under powered with it. I use the balanced output most of the time.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #24,456 of 33,689
Nice review. It helped me make a decision regarding the P1.
I side with @Slater. I like your analytical and critical approach because it is helpful for the potential buyer (while appreciating having a few reviews available)...well you are an engineer...

I have read the informed opinions of three competent reviewers so far -- and what I read between the lines:

1. Good that Tin Hifi fixed their tuning before releasing their product (as opposed to other manufacturers lately). But bad that Tin Hifi have to be told by bloggers such basics as to how to extend the sub bass by closing the front vent.
2. Timbre appears not to be perfect...though not much has been written about it (yet).
3. Hard to drive.

What I still would like to know is the general sound signature of a planar...lots of sonic details of the P1 reported but a bit of a Crinacle-style quickie sentence distilling them would be helpful. And, are the earpieces overly heavy (forgive me if I have missed it in a review)?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #24,457 of 33,689
lol. And not long ago everyone was ****ing themselves at how good the P1 graphs looked.
It indicates some "upper sibilance" similar to the Sennheiser IE 40 PRO...splashy cymbals and the likes. Taping the nozzle off by 80-90% with micropore tape will remove it (while typically not affecting bass and midrange). Would be useful if @antdroid did that and then re-measured.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #24,458 of 33,689
I side with @Slater. I like your analytical and critical approach because it is helpful for the potential buyer (while appreciating having a few reviews available)...well you are an engineer...

I have read the informed opinions of three competent reviewers so far -- and what I read between the lines:

1. Good that Tin Hifi fixed their tuning before releasing their product (as opposed to other manufacturers lately). But bad that Tin Hifi have to be told by bloggers such basics as to how to extend the sub bass by closing the front vent.
2. Timbre appears not to be perfect...though not much has been written about it (yet).
3. Hard to drive.

What I still would like to know is the general sound signature of a planar...lots of sonic details of the P1 reported but a bit of a Crinacle-style quickie sentence distilling them would be helpful. And, are the earpieces overly heavy (forgive me if I have missed it in a review)?

It indicates some "upper sibilance" similar to the Sennheiser IE 40 PRO...splashy cymbals and the likes. Taping the nozzle off by 80-90% with micropore tape will remove it (while typically not affecting bass and midrange). Would be useful if @antdroid did that and then re-measured.

Planars are typically fast drivers, faster than say a DD (though higher tier DD's are catching up) and generally can sound faster than a BA. It will vary from tuning to tuning and other factors. Low distortion is always another added benefit with planars when done right. One of the benefits of the fast, and low distortion driver is the ability to EQ very easily without added distortion, and cleaner, more detailed qualities. I think the P1 is very good at resolution capability, and it really does impress in that aspect.

I know some folks will want a little more bass warmth than what the P1 offers out of the box. And perhaps some of my artifiact issues I mentioned in my impressions is due to recording defects -- a lot of my music are CD ripped FLAC files, but also did some impressions on Spotify 320Kbps ogg listening too, so perhaps the P1 is very resolute in picking out recording artifacts. But I believe part of it is due to the elevated bass response, since EQing it down removes the issue for me. YMMV as always.

At the end of the day, the P1 is a technically capable IEM with a sound signature that may appeal to a lot of people as I mentioned in my article.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #24,459 of 33,689
Here's my first version of my Tin P1 EQ setting:

Screenshot_2019-06-19-21-59-19.png

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #24,460 of 33,689
Oof. I really liked the look of the mellow upper mids but that upper treble looks murderous. Pass.
Depends on how far one's hearing extends. If it's till about 15kHz, then it should be very much fine.
usually at home, i just wrap the cables a couple times around my neck. it looks damn ugly, but my wife is used to it :k701smile:

i never do it like that when i go outside, usually i just roll the cable and tie it with velcro to shorten it

the SBH20 has a short battery life for today's standard, although i rather like the sound as it fattens the mids up compared to my phone's output.
Cable around the neck, huh... A couple times to boot. Reminds me of assassinations, garrottes and all. Very suggestive. Even metallic IEMs force an association to a chance of electrocuting my brain. Tying stuff around my neck is next level :D
When I tried IEM out at e-earphone osaka, I definitely preferred Oxygen to No.3. Then I tried Acoustune hs1650cu and that blew both of these out of the water. I know it's a $600 set but the difference was night and day... I don't think I can settle for a $100-300 chifi knowing what's out there for not THAT much more...
Well actually I listened to a lot of sets there from $500-2k. Andromeda, Solaris, Hyla, UE18/RR, CanalWorks, Faudio Major, IER-Z1R, Dunu dk4001, etc... The only ones that captured my attention were the Acoustune 1650, Oriolus Reborn/MK2 (lovely), Andromeda/Solaris (solaris is way too big for my asian ears), and Canalworks U12aex (wonderful what 2 BA does in this set).
Looks like you prefer the Harman target. Well, in the very last this tonality/signature is part of the equation.
HS1650-1600x789.jpg

Mk2.jpg

No.3 graph has more mid-bass bleed, also an earlier treble roll-off and a lower peak. Haven't seen any Oxygen graphs.
10267739.png

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #24,461 of 33,689

I wish they’d come out with an updated ‘ES200’ that had 1. A better clip that didn’t break and 2. A microSD slot that allowed you to load ‘local’ music and control that music from the app. It would allow things like 256GB or 512GB cards irrespective of the phone storage, as well as music formats that might not be natively supported natively by the phone (flac, DSD, iso, etc).

It would basically be a unique product that bridged the gap between a dedicated dap and a dedicated phone. IMO it would finally negate the justification most people have for daps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #24,462 of 33,689
I wish they’d come out with an updated ‘ES200’ that had 1. A better clip that didn’t break and 2. A microSD slot that allowed you to load ‘local’ music and control that music from the app. It would allow things like 256GB or 512GB cards irrespective of the phone storage, as well as music formats that might not be natively supported natively by the phone (flac, DSD, iso, etc).

It would basically be a unique product that bridged the gap between a dedicated dap and a dedicated phone. IMO it would finally negate the justification most people have for daps.

Shanling M0 :wink:

Edit: I do agree on the clip though. That being said mine lasted for over a year with very heavy every day usage and traveling all over the world.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #24,463 of 33,689
How do you guys manage to break these clips so easily? My ES100 looks like complete @$$ thanks to all the exterior wear, but is still structurally sound. Did not baby it like I do most things.

(It's bricked now but that's another story...one that involves the startup tune playing double time....quite amusing).

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #24,464 of 33,689
Sure, you can tape over the P1’s vent to increase the low end, but there’s no guarantee it won’t have some other negative side effect.
P1 is planar, it doesn`t have so big potential to ruin driver by taping the vents as dymanic drivers :)

Like one user said before me - it all depends how far Your current hearing response extends to! I`m 35 and I think I can`t hear so sensitive anymore up from 12+kHz (I can hear grasshoppers & crickets fine though), so little boost there actually benefits what I would hear.
I do agree about stock tuning being too bass light but vent-tape mod FR response looks really nice to me.
Also agree about amping need and ppl without it being disappointed. My gear should have enough power to "wake them up", so if I finally get them, I should be ok.
Haven`t pushed buy button yet but still very attempting and when I have money, then might jump for it.

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #24,465 of 33,689
so i have my tax returns and i want to buy something in the 500$ range, i was thinking Fiio FH7 or fearless audio s8 freedom, any suggestions are welcome
NCM 5v2
You won't look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back