Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #24,436 of 33,689
so i have my tax returns and i want to buy something in the 500$ range, i was thinking Fiio FH7 or fearless audio s8 freedom, any suggestions are welcome

moondrop A8? that the one i can vouch for

S8 Pro many people say its really good value for the price

meanwhile FH7 have weird tone to them and somepart in the mids is recessed.

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #24,437 of 33,689
Speaking of portable DACs, here is my iBasso DC01 Unboxing + Quick Impression. It is a true 2.5mm balanced DAC cable adapter with PCM/DSD support and features the AK4493 chipset. Enjoy & happy listening, as always! :)

so i have my tax returns and i want to buy something in the 500$ range, i was thinking Fiio FH7 or fearless audio s8 freedom, any suggestions are welcome
Either Fearless S8 Freedom or iBasso IT04. Cheers! :)

moondrop A8? that the one i can vouch for

S8 Pro many people say its really good value for the price

meanwhile FH7 have weird tone to them and somepart in the mids is recessed.
Monndrop A8 is above the 500USD mark though. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #24,438 of 33,689
Either Fearless S8 Freedom or iBasso IT04. Cheers! :)

Monndrop A8 is above the 500USD mark though. Cheers! :)
i just saw the graph of the S8F and it looks scary to me, with a huge bump in the treble
maybe i should calm down and think a little bit, or save my money, that will be the best thing probably
maxresdefault.jpg

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #24,439 of 33,689
It was originally intended to be used with some kind of neck thing that it came with... @chinmie knows the details. I think it might also work for an armband player.

There are two solutions if you need it longer. I have photos in the mh755 thread or maybe the under $100 thread... I will try to find them so I don't have to upload them again to the server.

Found this one but there is also an easier one...

@HungryPanda did these for me... I had to have each color. I also have spares.

10277943.jpg

Happened to notice the vent hole is not lined up when put back together on a few of those. Do you notice a change to the bass or is there enough leakage elsewhere you don't notice it. Just wondering if that was by design or just overlooked when reassembling?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #24,440 of 33,689
No. All I can see is a black filter. Is that right. Actually they sound OK on reflection. Problem with them is, the cable is so short on one side, you wonder if it's for a hobbit?!

The foam is underneath the black filter. You don’t have to totally remove the black filter; you just lift it up 50-75% with a sewing needle (like how you lift the lid of a toilet), remove the foam piece with tweezers, and gently press the black filter back in place.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #24,441 of 33,689
The foam is underneath the black filter. You don’t have to totally remove the black filter; you just lift it up 50-75% with a sewing needle (like how you lift the lid of a toilet), remove the foam piece with tweezers, and gently press the black filter back in place.

I have never lifted the lid with a sewing needle :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #24,442 of 33,689
Cheers. But how does it affect the sound without it? It's pretty amazing as it is.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #24,443 of 33,689
i just saw the graph of the S8F and it looks scary to me, with a huge bump in the treble
maybe i should calm down and think a little bit, or save my money, that will be the best thing probably

the freedom is V shaped

Pro is more balanced out in the mids, iirc its more slight u shaped

i do think saving ip for A8 is better. or get some demo session if its available (local group or local shop)

as always demoing will save u from regrets

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #24,444 of 33,689
Cheers. But how does it affect the sound without it? It's pretty amazing as it is.

I only took the foam out of one of mine and I liked it but have not a-b'd it with the others. My husband took the foam out of his and put it back in. I would leave it as it is if you are happy. It will get brighter. There maybe be some variation because the foam in my husband's pair was half the size of the pieces in mine.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #24,445 of 33,689
Thank you for these critical, nuanced early impressions. Too many downsides for me - especially the bass section being comparable to T2.

Yeah, that’s what did it for me. But that’s just due to my personal taste, regardless of whether the P1 is totally awesome or not.

I have a bad feeling that due to the hype train a bunch of people are gonna jump on board. But then the same people that were disappointed in the T2’s lean low end will also be disappointed in the P1 for the same reason.

Sure, you can tape over the P1’s vent to increase the low end, but there’s no guarantee it won’t have some other negative side effect.

Taping the vent on the T2 increases the low end, but I think it makes it sound muddy overall. And I found the same thing with the DMG last night. So as with most things, there always seems to be tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #24,446 of 33,689
By the way - big shout out to fellow headfier and all round star, @damianryan who I meet up with occasionally to swap gear. He bought me the TFZ Galaxy T2 yesterday as a gift.
You know what. If the No.3 is better than this, it's gotta be some IEM. T2 is quite magnificent. Thanks Damian.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #24,449 of 33,689
I have never lifted the lid with a sewing needle :)

There’s other stuff you can use; anything with a thin and sharp point: a sharp wooden toothpick, thumb tack, syringe needle, diabetic lancet, tip of an Xacto blade, safety pin, straightened staple, hat pin, brooch pin, tie tack, etc

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #24,450 of 33,689
I only took the foam out of one of mine and I liked it but have not a-b'd it with the others. My husband took the foam out of his and put it back in. I would leave it as it is if you are happy. It will get brighter. There maybe be some variation because the foam in my husband's pair was half the size of the pieces in mine.
I will leave it. I'm not a fan of bright signatures. Might get another pair and remove them, mind!
You guys are in Kent, is that right? I'm in Surrey, next door :)
BTW it's my 500th post, I believe. Yo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back