Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #17,881 of 33,689
Somebody on the eastern side of the US got a v80 they'll loan me for a couple of weeks? I'll fund shipping. I just want to give them a fair shake and I thought I had my review done but if my sample is atypical I'd rather not publish it yet.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #17,883 of 33,689
Absolutely. They're very different signatures, so they actually compliment each other nicely.

Can you go into more detail of the differences between the two. I'm interested in both, but only want one.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #17,884 of 33,689
Somebody who has a good Tull collection, please listen to Hunting girl with the V80 and particularly listen for the flute. I just re-listened to it (40 anniversary edition of Songs from the Wood - Hdtracks 24/96 flac) and the distortion is evident both at 0:33 in and at 3:34. I'm now interested in whether I got a bad driver in the right earpiece as it is more pronounced on one side but not completely absent on the other. My luck continues.

Just for sake of argument, I tried using my desktop setup (Modi Mb, Valhalla, Cascade/HD700) and didnt hear it so it is not inherent in the track as I think the Cascade and HD700 are at least as resolving as the v80.

I also tried it from my Opus #1s and the AK70Mk2 just to eliminate the source and with 2 different cables to eliminate that. It is in the earpiece but whether it is a design issue or a QC issue now stands in question.
I did. Took the song from a recent box set (50 for 50, released in 2018). No distortion found.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #17,885 of 33,689
Somebody on the eastern side of the US got a v80 they'll loan me for a couple of weeks? I'll fund shipping. I just want to give them a fair shake and I thought I had my review done but if my sample is atypical I'd rather not publish it yet.
I'm in PA and would be willing. Treble sounds awful on mine though so don't know that it's worth the bother.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #17,886 of 33,689
I'm in PA and would be willing. Treble sounds awful on mine though so don't know that it's worth the bother.

Well that helps confirm that some may have a QC issue as it sounds like you may have gotten one with the same issues I am having.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #17,887 of 33,689
Hi, I am curious as to how the t4s and dmgs compare? Have you already given your impressions of these because i couldn' find it and am looking forward to your opinion.
I received my DMG's on Tuesday, so I'm still getting familiar with them and haven't posted much yet. I am pretty happy with them for their price and feel they're pretty good value. The DMG are lightweight and pretty ergonomic for me. I can wear them for several hours straight with no discomfort. The included tips are cheap feeling and I recommend tip rolling to get a better seal. I tried each of the filters and settled on the silver treble filters. There isn't much difference between the filters, but there is a little bit of change. The DMG have a fairly balanced sound, with an elevated mid bass in relation to the mids and treble. I would class them as slightly V shaped, but not extremely so. The mids are a little behind the bass and treble, but are clear with good definition. The DMG are fun sounding and musical with a pretty wide and deep soundstage. So far I haven't found any major weakness in their sound and am impressed with them for the cost. I will be working on a full review and will include comparisons to the B400 and T4 as well as several other highly regarded chi-fi iem's.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #17,888 of 33,689
I received my DMG's on Tuesday, so I'm still getting familiar with them and haven't posted much yet. I am pretty happy with them for their price and feel they're pretty good value. The DMG are lightweight and pretty ergonomic for me. I can wear them for several hours straight with no discomfort. The included tips are cheap feeling and I recommend tip rolling to get a better seal. I tried each of the filters and settled on the silver treble filters. There isn't much difference between the filters, but there is a little bit of change. The DMG have a fairly balanced sound, with an elevated mid bass in relation to the mids and treble. I would class them as slightly V shaped, but not extremely so. The mids are a little behind the bass and treble, but are clear with good definition. The DMG are fun sounding and musical with a pretty wide and deep soundstage. So far I haven't found any major weakness in their sound and am impressed with them for the cost. I will be working on a full review and will include comparisons to the B400 and T4 as well as several other highly regarded chi-fi iem's.
Thank you, I am really looking forward to your main review and comparisons as I am seeking a full bodied, brighter and balanced sounding iem to compliment my queen's which should arrive within the next week.

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #17,889 of 33,689
Yes, a as10 and a z5000.

Already gived up, i added time to process but they don't even answers me when i ask if they run out of stock, or when they are going to replace, send, etc. I will cancel the order.

Definitely NOT RECOMMEND HOTFI.

This is usual and i could have got plenty of good deals with the money i trusted on them. I missed fiio fh1 for 65$, for example.
That sucks. I have nv purchased anything from them as there were mentions of such issues in this thread previously, though there are also alot of headfiers having no issues with them.

For me i just stick to NiceHCK and the banned seller as i have nv had any issues with them.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #17,890 of 33,689
I took some unused UiiSii E6 IEMs I was tired of looking at, and made some semi-custom IEMs out of them using thermoplastic:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/custom-ear-molds-for-iems.830823/page-2#post-14472340

In the past I have tried other methods using mold-able silicone earplug putty (Radians), with poor results. The thermoplastic method is far superior, easier to work with, and boy are they oh so comfortable! They can be worn all day with no comfort issues, and they stay in place no matter what - eating, working out, skydiving, etc.

Credit goes to user @Takeanidea from that custom ear mold thread, who turned me onto the idea and has successfully done a number of them.

The material itself is readily available on ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress etc under a number of different names (instamorph, polymorph, etc). The material is milky white by default, but it can be colored different colors. To use it, you simply put the plastic pellets into some boiling water and wait for it to melt (color changes from white to clear). I just boiled 1/2 cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, removed it from the microwave and added the theromoplastic pellets. Then you simply remove the pellets with a spoon, and you can form it with your hands like clay.

The process is extremely easy, and very forgiving. The plastic takes a long time to fully cool (like 1-2 hours), and during that time you have plenty of time to mold it, shape it, smooth it, etc. And if for some reason you totally screw it up, you just remove it from the IEM and start all over again (ie putting the plastic back into boiling water until it melts again). My 1st attempt was a fail (I didn't give it enough cooling time and it deformed when I removed it from my ear). So I just removed the plastic, put it all back into boiling water, and the 2nd attempt was a success.

Unfortunately, you can't do this mod to every IEM. The thermoplastic needs something to "grip" onto and/or mold around. So if you have a large bodied IEM like the KZ ZST, ZS3, etc it isn't going to work very well. I used a piston shaped IEM for my 1st pair because I thought it would be the easiest (and also in case I screwed up it wouldn't be a big deal because they were IEMs I didn't care about). Takeanidea has done used a variety of other IEM shapes, including Apple Earpods. The hardest part of the process is not covering up any of the vent holes, which will change the sound.

The thermoplastic I bought came in a 500g bag, which is easily enough to do 50+ pairs of IEMs! I plan on doing the KZ ED9, EDR1s, or the Elistooop/Kailuhong AR-3001 next, which I expect to turn out great.

10166636_thumb.jpg

Aside from getting a more secure fit in the outer ear, surely this would not offer any more advantage as you are still using stock tips? IE if you had issues with the tips before, this method wouldn't help overcome that?

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #17,891 of 33,689
Aside from getting a more secure fit in the outer ear, surely this would not offer any more advantage as you are still using stock tips? IE if you had issues with the tips before, this method wouldn't help overcome that?

I’ve found there’s actually a lot of advantages. More than I ever really planned on. I was honestly just happy having a more comfortable fit. I never anticipated there would be additional benefits.
  1. When working out, I was having a lot of issues with IEMs working loose and even falling out due to sweat in my ear canal (making the silicone slick) in combination with the moving around of working out. This semi-CIEM solution totally alleviates that. They stay in place during the entire workout now.
  2. The isolation is on another level. While wearing these, I can not hear anything around me, even someone speaking directly into my ear 2” away. I couldn’t even hear the vacuum cleaner running when I cleaned the house yesterday. So I will be using them for that and also while mowing the lawn instead of relying on my current earphones with ANC (which ANC is not that great anyways).
  3. It’s faster and easier to insert the IEMs now. And they also always insert at the exact same depth. Sometimes when I insert normal IEMs, I insert them too shallow (not creating a god enough seal) or too deep (too deep being particularly annoying because it causes a suction effect on some IEMs that has a negative effect on the sound). Or I will insert 1 side differently than the other. This semi-CIEM solution totally alleviates that. When I insert them they pop into place and bottom out against the inner ear. Perfect and consistent insertion every time, which provides perfect and consistent sound every time!
  4. The wires are more stable and secure. On some IEMs, there is really poor or fragile control where the wire exists the IEM body. My new Elistooop/Kailuhong AR-3001 is a perfect example. Due to it's design, the wire is particularly fragile, and I am already seeing evidence of the stock wire strain working loose from the IEM shell. It will only be a matter of time before it pulls loose and fails. Encasing/reinforcing that area in thermoplastic will permanently solve the problem, making the IEM last longer.
  5. When doing certain outdoor activities (when it’s windy or when I’m traveling at more than a few MPH), almost every IEM I own has an annoying wind noise that cuts right trough the music. This is due to turbulence at the ear folds, causing pressure zones, wind noise, and wind vibrations. This transmits right through the IEM and affects the music, very similar to how cable microphonics transmits to your ear. With the semi-CIEM, I no longer hear any wind; only music. This is likely due to a number of reasons - the ear is more sealed off and aerodynamic, there is superior isolation, and there is increased mass absorbing vibrations.
  6. Any and all IEM cable microphonics is totally gone. This is due to a number of reasons - the cable being stablilized as described in #4, the increased isolation, and the increased mass absorbing vibrations.
Keep in mind my ultimate goal is to use this method to eliminate the need for silicone tips altogether. I plan to work towards the custom eartip method I posted above with the vsonic GR07. The IEM I did was my first attempt at even working with the material and learning about its properties. Once I have more experience and a working ear mold, I expect to be able to easily make the same thing they did with the Vsonic. Then I’ll be able to literally use any IEM and convert them to CIEMs, even large bodied IEMs.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #17,893 of 33,689
Yes, a as10 and a z5000.

Already gived up, i added time to process but they don't even answers me when i ask if they run out of stock, or when they are going to replace, send, etc. I will cancel the order.

Definitely NOT RECOMMEND HOTFI.

This is usual and i could have got plenty of good deals with the money i trusted on them. I missed fiio fh1 for 65$, for example.

I just had a similarly frustrating experience with them, also an order for a z5000. They didn't reply to any of my messages, and even when I contested the order, they didn't reply. Wasted about 5 weeks on the whole process.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #17,894 of 33,689
Omdz, Just wow! Ive received my qt2s and my first impressions i have to say that it is my most favourite iem so far. This is the best bass I've heard so far from any iem, even beats the it01s bass for me! The subbass rumble is soo addictive and you can feel the bass rather then just hearing it compared with all my other iems I've tried. It generally has a satisfying full bodied approach in the lows and mids then gets a bit thinner in the highs which creates a bit more livelyness. Vocals sound solid and clear but if there was one complaint, I would prefer them to pull the bass quantity just slightly back in order to balance the sound out more which will give mids more prescense. Overall, my first impressions are outstanding on these and do feel it is a steal at the £27 I paid for them. If the queen's are an upgrade to these (which should be coming anytime now) then I'm in for a real treat!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #17,895 of 33,689
Omdz, Just wow! Ive received my qt2s and my first impressions i have to say that it is my most favourite iem so far. This is the best bass I've heard so far from any iem, even beats the it01s bass for me! The subbass rumble is soo addictive and you can feel the bass rather then just hearing it compared with all my other iems I've tried. It generally has a satisfying full bodied approach in the lows and mids then gets a bit thinner in the highs which creates a bit more livelyness. Vocals sound solid and clear but if there was one complaint, I would prefer them to pull the bass quantity just slightly back in order to balance the sound out more which will give mids more prescense. Overall, my first impressions are outstanding on these and do feel it is a steal at the £27 I paid for them. If the queen's are an upgrade to these (which should be coming anytime now) then I'm in for a real treat!

They respond well to EQ. The mids are recessed compared to lows and highs but they can brought forward as well. I don't find them comfortable for long sessions though. Something like the ED16 on the other hand fits me like a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back