Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #16,141 of 33,689
They didn't want to compensate me for the shipping costs. They wanted extra money for the tax. Besides, it takes too long.
The mistake is clear. What do they want with the defective left headphone?
I now wait for the left replacement headphones and then the company Penon Audio is done for me. They just want to stall you and insinuate that you're too dumb to switch cables.
Well, this is the first time I notice someone is not satisfied with the customer support of Penon. I ask them friendly and get friendly replies. MMCX connection can be a tricky thing. If you follow some threads this is a periodical topic.
Well, as far as I experienced manufacturers would like to have claimed items to investigate counter measures for a possible failure and/or to investigate the root cause of the damage which is their right.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #16,142 of 33,689
Well, this is the first time I notice someone is not satisfied with the customer support of Penon. I ask them friendly and get friendly replies. MMCX connection can be a tricky thing. If you follow some threads this is a periodical topic.
Well, as far as I experienced manufacturers would like to have claimed items to investigate counter measures for a possible failure and/or to investigate the root cause of the damage which is their right.
I agree, never had issues with Penon. I also gotten the mini 2 from them, and given how small they are, you just have to be extremely careful when plugging n unplugging.

Though the cable I had with it is already beginning to oxidise...

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #16,143 of 33,689

After one week the Rose Mini2 headphones were broken.
My mistake was unplugging the MMCX connector.
Penon Audio wanted me to send the headset back. That was too complicated and too expensive for me, so I ordered a new left headphone for $50.
I'll take it as a lesson. This was my first and last attempt with Chinese quality.
Attention! poor quality of Rose Mini mmcx plugs on
That looks like an accident waiting to happen, the tips are larger than the device, somethings bound to break. That sucks.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #16,144 of 33,689
That looks like an accident waiting to happen, the tips are larger than the device, somethings bound to break. That sucks.

Not so much the size of the tips, but rather the amount of material surrounding the BA drivers. If you look closely, there is only a couple of mms of resin material around the BAs and MMCX. A paper thin layer of resin does not provide enough structural integrity.

The resin itself may not have been mixed in the correct ratio of its parts, making it brittle. Furthermore, depending on if and how the resin was prepared (degassed, etc), it may have contained tiny bubbles which affects structural integrity as well.

Basically, a number of things could have contributed to that. Whether it is an isolated case vs a design flaw with that model is unknown.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #16,145 of 33,689
is that a fiio X3 gen1 or (looks almost like mine) a chinese copy?

It is indeed the Fiio X3 (first generation).....

DAC:
Wolfson DAC WM8740

Output Power :
>540 mW (16 Ω/THD+N<1%)
>270 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%)
>30 mW (300 Ω/THD+N<1%)

Frequency Response:
20 Hz~20 kHz

SNR:
>105 dB ( A-weighted)

Output Impedance:
<0.3 Ω(32Ω)

MAX Output Current:
>250 mA(For reference)

MAX Output Voltage:
>8.0 Vp-p

Audio Formats Supported:

Lossless:
DSD: 2.8 MHz/1 bit (dff/dsf);
APE (Fast): 192 kHz/24 bit;
APE (Normal): 96 kHz/24 bit;
APE (High): 96 kHz/24 bit;

AIFF:192 kHz/24 bit;
FLAC: 192 kHz/24 bit;
WAV: 192 kHz/64 bit;
WMA9.1 Lossless: 96 kHz/24 bit;
Apple Lossless: 192 kHz/24 bit;

Lossy Compression:
MP2、MP3、AAC、WMA、OGG...

........and I like it's "old skool" simplicity.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #16,147 of 33,689
Urbanfun Hifi (Hybrid) revisited - are they still (urban) fun?

IMG_6720.jpg

I had spoilt myself recently with Etymotics, UE900S, Focal Sphear, Fidue A65, iBasso IT01 etc.
When I used my KZ ZSR thereafter, I was disappointed...rumbly bass etc.

Following yesterday's discussion, I took my "Urbs" out for a spin. Yes, they are kinda nondescript, bulky, and generic looking. But "wow", what a pleasant sonic surprise: they have an accurate soundstage, and - most of all - a very natural timbre - wood and string instruments come out very well. Some would say they sound "smooth" (coherent and balanced)...the manufacturer certainly harmonized their BA and DD driver. I am waiting for loomisjohnson to come out of the woodwork and second this.

This begs the questions:

1. Do I/we tend to judge the book too much by its covers?
2. Because the Urbs look like "moreofthesame", do we tend to think they sound like "moreofthesame". In other words, inhowmuch do looks influence our hearing perception?
3. Do new brooms (e.g. KZ ED16/ES4/ZSA) always clean better than old ones (German saying: yes, but you get better into the corners with the old brooms)?

I think the Urbanfun Hifi Hybrid are simply great sounding earphones. It would be interesting if Head-Fiers with the latest KZs pulled their Urbs out of the box for a comparative listen...and gave us their takes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #16,148 of 33,689
Following yesterday's discussion, I took my "Urbs" out for a spin. Yes, they are kinda nondescript, bulky, and generic looking. But "wow", what a pleasant sonic surprise: they have an accurate soundstage, and - most of all - a very natural timbre - wood and string instruments come out very well. Some would say they sound "smooth" (coherent and balanced)...the manufacturer certainly harmonized their BA and DD driver. I am waiting for loomisjohnson to come out of the woodwork and second this.

I will second this.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #16,149 of 33,689
All of you have been a life saver thanks alot, much appreciated for that detailed response. The other person told me to just forget it and go for the it01, what would you say is the absolute best for my type of sound signature and worthy upgrade from my rock jaws?[/QUOTE
the tk12 do have a very forward midrange and a big low end but can, as lodestar suggests, overwhelm you on top--they are by no means smooth or relaxed. the tk13 has a smoother presentation but is less midforward and more v-shaped--it is a great iem nonetheless. as the consensus holds, i doubt you'll be disappointed with the it01.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #16,151 of 33,689
Jun 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #16,152 of 33,689

I had spoilt myself recently with Etymotics, UE900S, Focal Sphear, Fidue A65, iBasso IT01 etc.

This begs the questions:

2. Because the Urbs look like "moreofthesame", do we tend to think they sound like "moreofthesame". In other words, inhowmuch do looks influence our hearing perception?
3. Do new brooms (e.g. KZ ED16/ES4/ZSA) always clean better than old ones (German saying: yes, but you get better into the corners with the old brooms)?

I think the Urbanfun Hifi Hybrid are simply great sounding earphones. It would be interesting if Head-Fiers with the latest KZs pulled their Urbs out of the box for a comparative listen...and gave us their takes.
as requested, i will concur--the urbs are to my ears a breakthrough hall-of-fame caliber product which, in terms of coherence, soundstage and timbre, are unrivaled at that $25 pricepoint. i also believe that aesthetics greatly influence our perception of quality, altho the effect is more pronounced in two channel audio (e.g. for years i owned gorgeous but thoroughly mediocre b&w speakers before acknowledging that they were much inferior to the cheaper, plain looking psb speakers i had in another room). not sure about the new brooms, however...

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #16,153 of 33,689
I will second this.

Okay, now I am going to have to get mine out again! I bet that a Neutralizer profile will work wonders with the mid bass hump on these....

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #16,154 of 33,689

This begs the questions:

I really did enjoy mine but I traded them for a ZS5(v1).

10069780.jpg

The primary reasons being:
1) I wanted a backup ZS5(v1)
2) The Urbanfun has a mic on the cable and I know I wouldn't use it much (preference for no-mic cables).

The trade was to be for the Urbanfun's or the BossHiFi B3. I would be sad to see either go but off the Urbanfun's went. It worked out for the best..........the B3 is mic-free and it sounds fantastic.

I still have my review notes so perhaps I will post a review for the Urbanfun's at some point.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #16,155 of 33,689
I really did enjoy mine but I traded them for a ZS5(v1).

The Urbanfun has a mic on the cable and I know I wouldn't use it much (preference for no-mic cables).
Interesting to record all the preferences for non-mic/remote cables. Interesting because essentially all low- to mid-priced brandnames with non-detachable cables such as Sennheiser, B&W, NAD, Focal etc. appear to have some sort of a remote.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back