Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #16,126 of 33,689
@Nabillion_786: Get the IT01 and be done with it. You'll like them, everybody does.
@Nabillion_786: Get the IT01 and be done with it. You'll like them, everybody does.
You are absolutely right man I should really just go for it. Tbh I will most likely now go for the it01. It's just the curiosity that the fh1 or tk13 or some others the other nice and informative person has suggested might be better for my signature I'm just holding out that bit longer.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #16,128 of 33,689
I am extremely grateful for your detailed reply, I have been looking everywhere for someone that has the genus and could point me in the right direction. Thanks ever so much. But the problem is I really like the bass of the genus it really is special (the black tip ones) but the mids are too back. What is the best solution in your opinion, because I do not want to go a step down in bass, I want to keep it all the same but just with a bit more better mids whilst keeping it thick. Someone told me the ostry has alot of bass and the mids are nice and thick soon thought that was an upgrade.

20160727_131137-1 (0).jpg

The answer to your question is the BGVP DM5.

HTB1c88SSVXXXXalXXXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dm5.22599/

It sounds similar to the Alfa Genus/Winintone EB220 but has much better separation and layering. The bass is just as deep as the Genus. It also comes with two detachable cables (one with a mic and one without).

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #16,129 of 33,689

The answer to your question is the BGVP DM5.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dm5.22599/

It sounds similar to the Alfa Genus/Winintone EB220 but has much better separation and layering. The bass is just as deep as the Genus. It also comes with two detachable cables (one with a mic and one without).
Woow now it seems like I'm spoilt for choices haha thanks. Is the bass like the genuses black filter? And how is the mids?

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #16,130 of 33,689
Woow now it seems like I'm spoilt for choices haha thanks. Is the bass like the genuses black filter? And how is the mids?

Read B9's review because it describes the DM5 to a "T".

The DM5 is just slightly brighter than the Genus, though I found the Genus/EB220 to have plenty of treble extension to begin with.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #16,131 of 33,689
@Otto Motor the hisenior b5 and massdrop plus according some user who have them both .. The iems both have same soundstage which is big .. And the hisenior b5 is more basslight and cheaper version of massdrop plus..

Edit: In general they are same iem
This confuses me. Have you heard them both? Everything I've read about the massdrop plus, says it's tuned warm and with emphasis on sub bass. The description of both iem's seem to be polar opposites.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #16,132 of 33,689
I never get mic, believe it affects sound, don't know why but most of the early iem's I have had mic's and I prefered the tone of the same iem without mic.

with the same type of cables, i don't hear sound differences between mic'ed and non mic version

i like having mic on cheaper earphones that i would use directly to my phone or switch. connecting it to my DFR is a different thing because the mic would not function anyway,so i prefer non mic on my more expensive phones, because the mic could be a weak spot. my son had a dead headphone because it broke on the mic joint

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #16,133 of 33,689
is that a fiio X3 gen1 or (looks almost like mine) a chinese copy?

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #16,134 of 33,689
@Nabillion_786
If you’re looking for thick mids, the KC09 aren’t exactly the best. I find the upper-mids and lower-treble a bit hot, as well as the mid-bass being a tad heavy. The bass and treble sorta drown out the mids, making them feel slightly hollow and muted. When I think of “thick mids,” the following come to mind: Urbanfun Hifi (super thick midrange with excellent resolution; mid-bass can be a bit much at times, but then again I’m not a bass head), TRN V20 (v-shaped, but warm and somewhat bassy), NiceHck HK6 (these have a phenomenally thick midrange with a wiiiiide soundstage and great details; but my only complaint is that, again, the mid-bass is just a little too much for me), and the iBasso IT01, as mentioned before.

I saw that you had some concerns about the mids on the IT01 being too thin or underemphasized as some user reviews stated. As a fellow midrange finatic, I can assure you that the mids are excellent on these. Male vocals feel very intimate and full, with the right amount of body. Instruments are also full-bodied with lots of texture, definition, and separation. They’re technical monsters in that regard. I have no idea why people are calling the mids on the IT01 “thin,” but I completely disagree with that statement. Everything feels extremely lively and engaging and the midrange has some excellent transparency and clarity. Even the bass is so well done. I love sub-bass and these babies deliver.

TRN V20 is too boomy with less definition in bass. ES4 has awesome mids. I havent listened to unbanfun hifi. There is something about the housings that put me off from buying it everytime.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #16,135 of 33,689
This confuses me. Have you heard them both? Everything I've read about the massdrop plus, says it's tuned warm and with emphasis on sub bass. The description of both iem's seem to be polar opposites.
I also have strong doubts...

TRN V20 is too boomy with less definition in bass. ES4 has awesome mids. I havent listened to unbanfun hifi. There is something about the housings that put me off from buying it everytime.
The urbanfun hifi have a very refined, v-shaped sound...but also a mid bass that can be too strong for my liking (subjective). They look simple and are made of metal.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #16,137 of 33,689
Has anyone heard the Rose Mini2?

IMG_4253.jpg
After one week the Rose Mini2 headphones were broken.
My mistake was unplugging the MMCX connector.
Penon Audio wanted me to send the headset back. That was too complicated and too expensive for me, so I ordered a new left headphone for $50.
I'll take it as a lesson. This was my first and last attempt with Chinese quality.
Attention! poor quality of Rose Mini mmcx plugs on

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #16,138 of 33,689
I also have strong doubts...

The urbanfun hifi have a very refined, v-shaped sound...but also a mid bass that can be too strong for my liking (subjective). They look simple and are made of metal.
I don't know the ES4 but I can strongly recommend the Urbanfun Hybrid. I find the fit very good, the sound is amazing for this price class imo. I found the mid bass bump also too much for my taste but could easily tame down by covering the outer vent hole with tesa. Very simple but effective mod. In result you get a more balanced sig.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #16,139 of 33,689

After one week the Rose Mini2 headphones were broken.
My mistake was unplugging the MMCX connector.
Penon Audio wanted me to send the headset back. That was too complicated and too expensive for me, so I ordered a new left headphone for $50.
I'll take it as a lesson. This was my first and last attempt with Chinese quality.
Attention! poor quality of Rose Mini mmcx plugs on
I am sorry man. I had the Mini2, too and I liked it very much. I changed the cable several times but weren't able to damage it (never tried of course :wink:. They are tiny and fragile appearing. That is why I treated it accordingly. I think you cannot judge all ChiFi by this single incident. The Rose Mini line is a tiny fragile line. I loved the Mini2 sonically that much that I ordered their flagship Mini6. I hat twice issues with the MMCX connection on these, too. But yesterday I received the third pair after insisting on a dedicated QC by Rose. Now, they are working well. And they delivered a different MMCX cable with the replacement which are very easy to connect and disconnect. Honestly, I had to use this cable as I was not able to plug in the original cable on the left unit at any force or with any methods I tried.
Maybe this is the main issue in conlusion...the stock MMCX cable is not perfectly matched with the Mini line. Too tight fit.

BTW, the Mini6 sounds fantastic! That is why I went through two claims with Penon/Rose in a >3 months time frame with the goal to get a working pair in the end and not my money back.

BTW2, I had to pay only 5,70€ with German Post (incl. tracking ability) to send back the unit (Penon asked to send back only the headphone units without any accessories or original packaging to Keep it small). The shipping costs were compensated in the end by Penon, too!
This is a really good dealer!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #16,140 of 33,689
I am sorry man. I had the Mini2, too and I liked it very much. I changed the cable several times but weren't able to damage it (never tried of course :wink:. They are tiny and fragile appearing. That is why I treated it accordingly. I think you cannot judge all ChiFi by this single incident. The Rose Mini line is a tiny fragile line. I loved the Mini2 sonically that much that I ordered their flagship Mini6. I hat twice issues with the MMCX connection on these, too. But yesterday I received the third pair after insisting on a dedicated QC by Rose. Now, they are working well. And they delivered a different MMCX cable with the replacement which are very easy to connect and disconnect. Honestly, I had to use this cable as I was not able to plug in the original cable on the left unit at any force or with any methods I tried.
Maybe this is the main issue in conlusion...the stock MMCX cable is not perfectly matched with the Mini line. Too tight fit.

BTW, the Mini6 sounds fantastic! That is why I went through two claims with Penon/Rose in a >3 months time frame with the goal to get a working pair in the end and not my money back.

BTW2, I had to pay only 5,70€ with German Post (incl. tracking ability) to send back the unit (Penon asked to send back only the headphone units without any accessories or original packaging to Keep it small). The shipping costs were compensated in the end by Penon, too!
This is a really good dealer!
They didn't want to compensate me for the shipping costs. They wanted extra money for the tax. Besides, it takes too long.
The mistake is clear. What do they want with the defective left headphone?
I now wait for the left replacement headphones and then the company Penon Audio is done for me. They just want to stall you and insinuate that you're too dumb to switch cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back