Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #15,856 of 33,689
The entire lineup of Moondrop IEMs from cheapest to the most expensive, a nice local seller lend them to me for a couple of days. Well, not all loaners though, the bottom left is mine.. But i'm drooling to buy the Kanas Pro cable.. It opens up the regular Kanas sound nicely

Could you describe your Moondrop IX? Do you like them? What are their main features?

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #15,857 of 33,689
Taming the treble peak of the KZ ZS6, part 137: using an adjustable resistor

Executive summary: the treble peak of the ZS6 was tamed by added a resistor with a scrollwheel (inline volume control) for $2. No modding of the earphone required.

Equipment used:
1. iPhone 5S
2. audioquest dragonfly dac/amp
3. Earphone Inline Volume Control Cable Male to F 3.5mm Stereo Audio Adaptor for $2:
https://goo.gl/Bvxcdg

The ZS6 has an unpleasant 10K treble peak unsuited for weak eardrums. In order to tame it, the output impedance of the source needs to be increased:
https://goo.gl/mebcCq

My first attempt to tame the treble had been with a fixed 75 ohm adapter: https://goo.gl/6LPmcT

The advantage of the inline volume control is that it acts like an adjustable resistor.

And that's how I did it:
1. I connected iPhone, dragonfly, inline control, and ZS6.
2. I created some output juice by adjusting the volume on the iPhone/dragonaly combination at 80%.
3. I put the ZS6 in my ears and played with the scroll wheel of the inline volume control - don't forget that the cables belong to the output impedance: decreasing volume on the scroll wheel means increasing impedance, and increasing volume means decreasing impedance. This does NOT affect the volume coming out of the iPhone/dragonfly combination.
5. An analog would be your garden hose. You almost fully open the tap (phone/amp) but have an adjustable nozzle at the end (inline volume control) to decide how strong your water beam should be.
6. In the end, I found the right balance between volume and sound with minimized treble peak.
7. Bingo!

And that sets one back only $2.

Acknowledgement: This was inspired by Head-Fier HifiChris.

inline.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #15,859 of 33,689
Could you describe your Moondrop IX? Do you like them? What are their main features?

i didn't listen to it very long, because i was mostly interested on the Kanas Pro, A5, and the cheapest Crescent. for me it sounded better than the nocturne, has more body, more bass. all in all, they all excel in clarity on their respective price point. the one that i really like the most is the regular Kanas, but with the Kanas Pro cable

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #15,860 of 33,689
My email is getting flooded with questions on the ACZ KR06-4 and ACZ KR06-6, so let me make it more simpler on what you're hearing...

1) KR06-4:
With the KR06-4, you're getting an addictively "fun signature" with an excellent neutral tuning that puts these right up there to near perfection when compared to the brother KR06-6. These have a bright to warm characteristic and are practically a joy to listen to for hours at a time. So, get these for the ultimate fun of your own listening experience!

2) KR06-6:
Now, with the KR06-6, you're getting a more serious "pro signature", which takes the neutrality of the KR06-4 and expands it to a more impressive width and frontal stage presence and brings out the best of your finest recordings not missing out on any particular part of a near perfect listening session. So, get these for a more serious demand of your personal recordings!

Note: Make sure you ask the seller which one they have in stock

-Clear :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #15,861 of 33,689
My email is getting flooded with questions on the ACZ KR06-4 and ACZ KR06-6, so let me make it more simpler on what you're hearing...

1) KR06-4:
With the KR06-4, you're getting an addictively "fun signature" with an excellent neutral tuning that puts these right up there to near perfection when compared to the brother KR06-6. These have a bright to warm characteristic and are practically a joy to listen to for hours at a time. So, get these for the ultimate fun of your own listening experience!

2) KR06-6:
Now, with the KR06-6, you're getting a more serious "pro signature", which takes the neutrality of the KR06-4 and expands it to a more impressive width and frontal stage presence and brings out the best of your finest recordings not missing out on any particular part of a near perfect listening session. So, get these for a more serious demand of your personal recordings!

Which tips make KR06-6 bassheavy any suggestion?

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #15,862 of 33,689

1) KR06-4:

2) KR06-6:

Initially I chose the KR06-6, but now I have to try the KR06-4 as well.
Thanks again

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #15,864 of 33,689
Which tips make KR06-6 bassheavy any suggestion?

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to take an IEM, carefully tuned to be neutral and flat, and then make it as bass heavy as possible with tips?

That’s like asking a Porsche dealer “what kind of hitch can I install on a Porsche GT3, because I need to tow a trailer full of 5,000lbs of stones?” If you want to tow a heavy trailer, wouldn’t it make more sense to use a pickup truck from the beginning (that was purpose-built for the desired job)?

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #15,865 of 33,689
just got the MEMT X5 last night and listened to them this morning on the shanling M0,zishan Z3 and QNGEE X2

a nice set of earbuds
really small and sound wise very similar to the DZAT D10 with strong bass and clear vocals
I believe they were like $19.99 on Amazon
I think they sound as good if not better than most of the KZ IEMs I've bought (ATE/ATR/ZST/ZS3/ZS10/ZSR)
The KZs tend to have a boomier sound that hurts the ears after extended listening
plus the MEMT X5 are so small its like nothing in your ear versus a big hunk of styllized plastic
such a small enclosure its amazing the amount of sound they produce kind of like the what its like listening to the little M0

reminds me of the 70's-80's when i used to be Hifi fanatic and obsessed with all these micro sized high end stereo components coming out of england/europe like Linn Basik and others

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #15,866 of 33,689
just got the MEMT X5 last night and listened to them this morning on the shanling M0,zishan Z3 and QNGEE X2

a nice set of earbuds
really small and sound wise very similar to the DZAT D10 with strong bass and clear vocals
I think they sound as good if not better than most of the KZ IEMs I've bought (ATE/ATR/ZST/ZS3/ZS10/ZSR)
The KZs tend to have a boomier sound that hurts the ears after extended listening
plus the MEMT X5 are so small its like nothing in your ear versus a big hunk of styllized plastic
such a small enclosure its amazing the amount of sound they produce kind of like the what its like listening to the little M0

reminds me of the 70's-80's when i used to be Hifi fanatic and obsessed with all these micro sized high end stereo components coming out of england/europe like Linn Basik and others

I must really have a bad pair of X5. Because mine have sounded below average since the 1st time I stuck them in my ears 2 years ago. I’ve tried different tips, different sources, and even tried modding the vent holes. I’ve just never heard the good sound everyone always talked about.

It’s always made me curious if I shouldn’t just order a new pair and give them another try.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #15,869 of 33,689

a nice set of earbuds

the memt were briefly the belle of the budget ball about a year or so ago, then the accolades started to fade. i still kinda like em--they're not very refined or accurate, but as you say they produced a whole bunch of sound + they are very impressive from a design standpoint. they're also excellent for the gym--durable, comfortable and very isolating.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #15,870 of 33,689
Anyone know about IEM tip compatibility with the IEMs on this list? Or how to best find out?

My ear canals are pretty small, and I've found only the Etymotic Baby Blues / ER38-15SM ( for ears with a 7-11mm canal opening) to work well. They have a bore size of ~3mm, which is the size of Complys 100-series tips, generally fitting on Klipsch, Westone, Etymotic Research, AudioFly, and Shure IEMs. A giant list of other compatible models is here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back