CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 10, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #30,076 of 31,833
First of all, thank you both very much ^^

I assumed something similar honestly, but since they usually talk about pairing with certain sources and amplification capabilities i didn't want to miss an "important" part honestly. I guess my only path for now is to focus on something easy to handle anywhere and eventually, if I can, get a better source.

Honestly, this answer was very helpful, and I appreciate it very much.

If I could define the sound signature I prefer, I think it's undoubtedly close to the classic V-Shape, but I'm sensitive to treble, so I prefer that region to have just the right amount of brightness to avoid tiring me out (or worse, making my ear suffer) but also to still stand out and have just the right amount of brightness. I definitely prefer the bass to be powerful but fast and not to oppress the rest of the frequencies (I should clarify that I haven't tested many audio devices and much less "serious" audio, so I haven't defined my preferences yet).

About my musical preferences, I essentially listen to a lot of pop or popular genres (particularly electronic genres), but I'm also very versatile and can end up listening to some albums or playlists of more "traditional" and acoustic genres, so I would value a pair that are all-terrain in that sense.
Look up Zpolt sound tests on youTube. They won't give you an accurate picture of exactly what an IEM will sound like, but it will give an idea of how several iems will sound compared to each other. Not everything will come across as the audio will be compressed and nothing will sound any better than what you're playing them through. It won't tell you how wide the soundstage is or how good the details are. It will give you an idea of which is warmer or brighter, if the treble is intrusive, whether mids are too recessed. Read or watch reviews for the rest. SiriusB, Poles Audio and Dans audio reviews also do soundtests. I admit to getting the Tipsy TTromso after hearing a sound sample comparison to the Olina.

Redcarmoose's review sealed the deal, it's my current favourite! :L3000:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tipsy-ttromso-pinestone-sea.25757/reviews#review-28179

This next one gives a good variety of IEMs, particularly TinHifi T3+, Aria and Meteor

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #30,077 of 31,833
One model that shows up on just about every under-$100 list, not just that one, is the $80 Moondrop Aria. The consensus is that it's a good all-rounder with an excellent soundstage. I haven't heard it myself. It's available from Amazon USA (I don't know about Argentina) and from aliexpress.com.
the Moondrop Aria are the first thing that popped up on my radar as soon as i checked this niche again, but i've read several QC problems about them (dropped paint, pins not working, unbalance between channels, etc etc) and as you said, i'm from Argentina, so i can only import them and if i need to process the warranty it's going to be problematic lol

Thanks anyway, they will be my choice if any other option does not convince me at all.
I admit to getting the Tipsy TTromso after hearing a sound sample comparison to the Olina.

Curiously, i love the treble centered sound of the Olina more loool. Thanks so much for the comparison videos.

Well, of all the ones i've read so far i'm sticking with the Tripowin Olina (brilliant, but it looks like the filter mod helps mitigate this). The Tipsy TTromso seem to suit my tastes better, but from the descriptions I read it doesn't sound like the bass is much to my taste, though I'm not ruling them out. Thank you all for your comments ^^

May 10, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #30,078 of 31,833
Look up Zpolt sound tests on youTube. They won't give you an accurate picture of exactly what an IEM will sound like, but it will give an idea of how several iems will sound compared to each other. Not everything will come across as the audio will be compressed and nothing will sound any better than what you're playing them through. It won't tell you how wide the soundstage is or how good the details are. It will give you an idea of which is warmer or brighter, if the treble is intrusive, whether mids are too recessed. Read or watch reviews for the rest. SiriusB, Poles Audio and Dans audio reviews also do soundtests. I admit to getting the Tipsy TTromso after hearing a sound sample comparison to the Olina.

Redcarmoose's review sealed the deal, it's my current favourite! :L3000:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tipsy-ttromso-pinestone-sea.25757/reviews#review-28179

This next one gives a good variety of IEMs, particularly TinHifi T3+, Aria and Meteor

The Tromso surprises me every day how good it sounds for 90$. It's my personal S tier together with the Penon Serial. Lush, addicting, musical and analog comes to mind. That's how I like my IEMs. Oh and the bass, I can't compromise on bass performance. It's the base for the whole IEM sound signature.

May 11, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #30,079 of 31,833
the Moondrop Aria are the first thing that popped up on my radar as soon as i checked this niche again, but i've read several QC problems about them (dropped paint, pins not working, unbalance between channels, etc etc) and as you said, i'm from Argentina, so i can only import them and if i need to process the warranty it's going to be problematic lol

Thanks anyway, they will be my choice if any other option does not convince me at all.

Curiously, i love the treble centered sound of the Olina more loool. Thanks so much for the comparison videos.

Well, of all the ones i've read so far i'm sticking with the Tripowin Olina (brilliant, but it looks like the filter mod helps mitigate this). The Tipsy TTromso seem to suit my tastes better, but from the descriptions I read it doesn't sound like the bass is much to my taste, though I'm not ruling them out. Thank you all for your comments ^^
Hi bullhead,
if I've understood well you ear a lot of different musical genres with the focus on pop and elettronic music and you are looking for powerfull bass and not fatiguing trebbles.

I'm trebbles sensitive and I'm looking for a similar sounding iems.

In my modest opinion nor the Aria (I've and love it) never the Olina may suit your taste maybe the DUNU Titan S, but their bass could be deep but not powerfull.

Between the iems I've I may suggest you:
NiceHCK DB3 so cheap you could give It a try to see if you like it, basshead, warm, enough revealing iem, but the bass are really powerfull and could be to much (when music call for it I feel the chair and table rumbles!!!).
Shozy Form 1.1 much more refined with firm and fast bass but not so powerfull.
Jade Audio EA1 fun engaging but the trebbles could be fatiguing for long listening.
CCA NRA engaging as EA1 an hint less fatiguing.

In my radar there are in order by best technicalities:
Tingker TK300
Ibasso IT00/ Reecho SG03
TFZ live 3/ Tipsy Ttromso

You may look at the reviews to see if these suit your taste.

What is your reproduction gear?

If you use a smartphone too could be a good idea buy a dongle like as CX Pro Audio 31992 or better Jkelly JM10 boot cheap and well sounding.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #30,080 of 31,833
May 11, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #30,081 of 31,833
There you go for my detailed review of HZSOUND WAIST DRUM, including comparison against Moondrop CHU, HZsound Mirror and Tanchjim Tanya.

Spoiler: These are excellent. And perfect upgrade to Tanya.
https://nobsaudiophile.com/2022/05/11/hzsound-waist-drum-review-warm-accuracy-with-lush-musicality/
How is the male vocal compared to Tanya?
One thing i feel lacking from Aria is the lower male vocal for rock musics. Tanya have it but its also somewhat blurry in resolution, especially compared to Tanya

Its around $10 pricier here, is it worth it?

May 12, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #30,083 of 31,833
How is the male vocal compared to Tanya?
One thing i feel lacking from Aria is the lower male vocal for rock musics. Tanya have it but its also somewhat blurry in resolution, especially compared to Tanya

Its around $10 pricier here, is it worth it?
Male vocal are fuller sounding than Aria and cleaner than Tanya, resolution of Aria is better.
Waist drum is better technicaly than Tanya to my ears, dynamic is more hefty and holographic and make Tanya sound very muddy and compressed....

May 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #30,084 of 31,833
Ok, since they are still in my ears after hours while i look at my hands, why not using these hands to share first hands audio impressions of the ROSE TECHNICS QT9 MK2S hybrid (1DD-4BA).

Firstly, I only test them on 2 DAC-AMP: the Tri TK2 and Questyle M15, 2 very different beast both in power, dynamic rendering and tonality.

Secondly, a big deal of a burn in ''miracle'' happen after 2H of use with diversify music....whole dynamic range become better resolved and more articulate and open sounding, before this, the sound was more condensed-compressed and DD bass was very strange. Now, well, dunno if burn in is finish, but their you go for impulsive sound impression:

Smoothly balanced W shape with thigh, textured bass, round and weighty-thumpy yet not bleedy. Fowards mids with clean dense female vocal, well rounded yet energic upper mids and fast, more crunchy than snappy treble, rich in texture and very generous in sound info (you know when you ear noise that you think came from your home and you pull off IEM? well, the QT9 MK2 can create this funny magic lol).

These are sure a hint bright, since near analytical in sound approach but not in a cold or clinical way, they have a fun twist to them due to weighty punch of the bass. About BASS, hum, their a realist resonance and kick drum is very well restitute, very impressive in taht regard while sub bass is leaner, with good density and vibrancy, but no important boost that will make smile the bassheads.

Man, ok, all this is improvise, now im testing basshead rumble of IAMDDB ''Moonlight'' track, i know this simple track very well since the sub line are supreme guilty pleasure and super clean and dense and deeeep so, here, i'm impress by versatility of QT9mk2 bass response, since day one the DD intrigue me and it's a great one imo, very well implemented too. Rumble is a bit opaque but in a concentrate way, as if the DD act a bit too fast to let sub have slower resonance, hard to explain, but it's greatly textured for a sub bass, not liquid, yet the rumble is very weighty and thick. Damn this sound good man...ok.

Now let's try Aventine from Agnes Obel. Vocal are very foward, yet not super wide nor lush, but not BA horrifious at all too. their no metallic sheen to it or timbral disbalance and that even with a revealing uncoloured Questyle M15 dongle. Resolution, layering, imaging are very bluffing, just wow here even if space between instrument isnt super wide. Again, im use of this album, im use to have more sparkle and decay on top for example, which isn't really the case with QT9 MK2. Did it mean its bad? Absolutely not, i love what I hear, how cohesive,realiste, we are into ''romantic monitore like'' territory.

So, very impressive and performant bass, fast in transient, rich in texture, well separated yet not detached since resonance of hit can embrace other instrument like it should be in fact...
A hint lean, yet very clean and lively mids, with excellent layering and instrument placement.
Fast snappy gently bright treble, extremely revealing yet not spiky and unbalanced, nor boosted in fake clarity, nor very sparkly, brilliant and natural in decay.

These Rose technics QT9 MK2 are without a doubt excellent IEM, but this isn't my official conclusion, still, both tonality and technicalities are impressive, refined and mature in rendering too...
1652360053717.png

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #30,085 of 31,833
Ok, since they are still in my ears after hours while i look at my hands, why not using these hands to share first hands audio impressions of the ROSE TECHNICS QT9 MK2 hybrid (1DD-4BA).

Firstly, I only test them on 2 DAC-AMP: the Tri TK2 and Questyle M15, 2 very different beast both in power, dynamic rendering and tonality.

Secondly, a big deal of a burn in ''miracle'' happen after 2H of use with diversify music....whole dynamic range become better resolved and more articulate and open sounding, before this, the sound was more condensed-compressed and DD bass was very strange. Now, well, dunno if burn in is finish, but their you go for impulsive sound impression:

Smoothly balanced W shape with thigh, textured bass, round and weighty-thumpy yet not bleedy. Fowards mids with clean dense female vocal, well rounded yet energic upper mids and fast, more crunchy than snappy treble, rich in texture and very generous in sound info (you know when you ear noise that you think came from your home and you pull off IEM? well, the QT9 MK2 can create this funny magic lol).

These are sure a hint bright, since near analytical in sound approach but not in a cold or clinical way, they have a fun twist to them due to weighty punch of the bass. About BASS, hum, their a realist resonance and kick drum is very well restitute, very impressive in taht regard while sub bass is leaner, with good density and vibrancy, but no important boost that will make smile the bassheads.

Man, ok, all this is improvise, now im testing basshead rumble of IAMDDB ''Moonlight'' track, i know this simple track very well since the sub line are supreme guilty pleasure and super clean and dense and deeeep so, here, i'm impress by versatility of QT9mk2 bass response, since day one the DD intrigue me and it's a great one imo, very well implemented too. Rumble is a bit opaque but in a concentrate way, as if the DD act a bit too fast to let sub have slower resonance, hard to explain, but it's greatly textured for a sub bass, not liquid, yet the rumble is very weighty and thick. Damn this sound good man...ok.

Now let's try Aventine from Agnes Obel. Vocal are very foward, yet not super wide nor lush, but not BA horrifious at all too. their no metallic sheen to it or timbral disbalance and that even with a revealing uncoloured Questyle M15 dongle. Resolution, layering, imaging are very bluffing, just wow here even if space between instrument isnt super wide. Again, im use of this album, im use to have more sparkle and decay on top for example, which isn't really the case with QT9 MK2. Did it mean its bad? Absolutely not, i love what I hear, how cohesive,realiste, we are into ''romantic monitore like'' territory.

So, very impressive and performant bass, fast in transient, rich in texture, well separated yet not detached since resonance of hit can embrace other instrument like it should be in fact...
A hint lean, yet very clean and lively mids, with excellent layering and instrument placement.
Fast snappy gently bright treble, extremely revealing yet not spiky and unbalanced, nor boosted in fake clarity, nor very sparkly, brilliant and natural in decay.

These Rose technics QT9 MK2 are without a doubt excellent IEM, but this isn't my official conclusion, still, both tonality and technicalities are impressive, refined and mature in rendering too...
1652360053717.png
this is the Mark2 yes, not the currently discounted sonion Mark3

May 13, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #30,087 of 31,833
May 13, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #30,088 of 31,833
Just got the CCA CRA after being recommended elsewhere - very disappointed in them, lack of detail compared to others in the price range. **** all the way.
How much you pay for CRA? its a $15 iem.
hell, i bought it for $14. is it super awesome? for the most part prefer ZEX Pro for its better imaging and layering, but zexpro treble flaw annoys me.
And i'm interested in that other $15 that is much better than in details in that price range. I'm looking for beater iem right now.

The one in my radar is Nicehck DB1, which apparently have great tuning but i haven't heard that its good in details.
I used to have Tanya is not that far and its a fun musical iem, but blurry in details.
I only use quark for half a day then gifted it to a coworker in office event so i didn't remember much.
Maybe the recent Moondrop Chu which apparently does have good details for the price.
Waistdrum is Tanya upgrade but at $40 its not in CRA budget class

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #30,089 of 31,833
Just got the CCA CRA after being recommended elsewhere - very disappointed in them, lack of detail compared to others in the price range. **** all the way.
sorry for you mate, to each their own tonal guilty pleasure...didnt try those CRA since im a bit paranoi about anything KZ lol
have you try HZsound Mirror?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back