CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 4, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #30,061 of 31,833
Thank's NymPHONOmaniac,
I've ended the DB3 burn in and honestly it impressed me a lot taking into account the price, by now in the cheap price range I've in list only CRA+ and Tiandirhene TD02/06 that seems have promising quality and KC2 or K2 will shurely be a good choice too.

But I'm trying to raise up my quality targhet, Mirror and E4000 are on the way, so I've put in my wish list: Titan S (you and Baskingshark suggested me)
AQ0 (less pricey then AQ4)
TK300 (and my basshead side could be pleased 😉😂)

But I'm intrigued by HE01 and Yuan Li too (but are not in my priority ).

What about the Vesper?
This iem looks a good alternative or complement to the Aria....
Oh, Final E4000 is a great choice, HZsound Mirror too even if im afraid you find them too sharp and bass light (try to feed them well with amping power and you can do a bass mod by adding front vent filter, this add mid bass boom notably)

Didnt try AQ0 but they seem to be underdog with good amount of praise even from trustable reviewer
Tangzu will release the Shimin Li very soon....and it promise greater sound value than Yuan Li since its priced 40$:
1651680361371.png

For the Vesper, they are just ok, i dont find them musical, quite dry gently bright neutral with bass boost so L shape but timbre is off and thin and their slight sibilance shoutyness issue too.

I do like TRI Meteor for warm bassy and well balanced IEM.

Perhaps the up coming KBear INK worth a check too, since its suppose to be V shape harman target, perhaps similar to Meteor in that regard

May 4, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #30,062 of 31,833
Oh, Final E4000 is a great choice, HZsound Mirror too even if im afraid you find them too sharp and bass light (try to feed them well with amping power and you can do a bass mod by adding front vent filter, this add mid bass boom notably)

Didnt try AQ0 but they seem to be underdog with good amount of praise even from trustable reviewer
Tangzu will release the Shimin Li very soon....and it promise greater sound value than Yuan Li since its priced 40$:
1651680361371.png

For the Vesper, they are just ok, i dont find them musical, quite dry gently bright neutral with bass boost so L shape but timbre is off and thin and their slight sibilance shoutyness issue too.

I do like TRI Meteor for warm bassy and well balanced IEM.

Perhaps the up coming KBear INK worth a check too, since its suppose to be V shape harman target, perhaps similar to Meteor in that regard
Thank's again NinPHONOmaniac.😃

I understand the Mirror are a really different iem to what I like, all you explained well that is a technical iem and I'll listen it with this in mind.
I know perfectly Mirror isn't a fun iem, but I may change my point of view earing music and I'm really courious to ear it.😉

Thank's for your impressions about Vesper too, shurely I' m not looking for his sound signature. 👍

Shimin Li and Ink seem promising and your reviewers work is precious for us looking for gems for our collections. :)

Meteor as many others iems shurely are pleasing and many should like it, but I'm looking for something more full range and possibily detailed, more refined.... if you may understand what I mean. 😊

I think is very important to train the ears to the correct sound indipendently by the personal taste about more warm or clear sound, basshead or trebblehead.
I needed many attempts (and pokemons collect 😂) before understand why all you suggest some iems.

Maybe could be usefull for newbies make a short list of the absolutely best sounding low fi/mid fi iems so everyone may choose to save money and go for the safe path or make his own research and experience. IMMO 😊

May 6, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #30,064 of 31,833
HZSOUND WAIST DRUM COMPARISONS

VS HZSOUND MIRROR

For those dreaming of a cheaper master of technicalities, I'll tell you right away the Waist Drum isn't that and is inferior in all technical aspect like lower resolution, slower attack speed and control, less extended bass and treble and notably less precise, clean and accurate imaging.
But does it mean tonality is less musical or immersive? Absolutely not, since here the balance is in fact more organic, euphonic and cohesive with the HZ Waist Drum.
The Waist Drum is a hint warmer and slightly more V shape against vivid W shape of HZ Mirror. Mid bass is more boosted and have heavier yet warmer slam, it isn't as well separated and clean and doesn't extend as low in a linear way like the Mirror.
Mid range of Waist Drum is lusher, denser with more natural timbre, making the vocal fuller in presence and less cold and lean than HZ Mirror, but clarity and separation as well as transparency is inferior, still, mids are better rounded and less prompt to sibilance. Strangely, male vocal seem to have more lower harmonic with the HZ Mirror.

Treble is very different here, way more focus and peaky and analytical with the Mirror, while fuller, rounder, smoother with the Waist Drum, it's better balanced and less in your face, yet it have good brilliance and snap too but not as much sparkle and resonance. Soundstage wise, the Waist Drum is more open in wideness tallness, while HZ Mirror have deeper cleaner spatiality. Imaging as said is from another league with HZ Mirror, yet the layers are thinner. This underline a big difference in timbre restitution and balance here, the Waist Drum have lusher, denser, warmer and more natural timbre.

All in all, these 2 are different beast, so if you find too bright and anlytical the HZ Sound Hearth Mirror, the lusher less technical and more V shape HZ Waist Drum will surely suit your taste better since it's tonality is less energic, more organically cohesive and more laid back in dynamic heft.

VS TANCHJIM TANYA

Those 2 are a bit similar in signature, tough the HZ Waist Drum is just a hint brighter and more resolved and less warm and thick sounding as a whole.
So, Tanya is more V shape and warm yet with greater mids presence and even denser fuller timbre. Bass have more slam authority and better texture but similar lack of clean separation. HZ seem to extend more and doesn't mix up as much with lower mids.
Mids are cleaner with HZ and better separated, while they are fuller, warmer and more upfront with Tanya, the denser timbre tend to veil a bit macro-resolution unlike the HZ.
Treble is where the HZ is notably superior and show it's technical talent too, we have greater amoung of micro details, more sparkle and brilliance and highs like percussions are less dark and recessed, with better micro definition, yet overall treble of Tanya is thicker and more grainy, more rounded.
These 2 are open back IEM, which inflict on similar soundstage presentation, wide open and airy, but less deep with Tanya.
Imaging is again notably superior with HZ, way more precise and sound layers are better separated too while mixed in a more homogeneous opaque warm way with the Tanya.
Both sound very good tonaly, though vocal are a bit thicker with Tanya, where HZ stand out is in technical performance that are superior in all aspect. I love both, for a more physical presentation, ill go Tanya since pop and soul can be more pleasant, for everything else that need versatile technicalities Ill go Waist Drum.

May 6, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #30,065 of 31,833
Thank's again NinPHONOmaniac.😃

I understand the Mirror are a really different iem to what I like, all you explained well that is a technical iem and I'll listen it with this in mind.
I know perfectly Mirror isn't a fun iem, but I may change my point of view earing music and I'm really courious to ear it.😉

Thank's for your impressions about Vesper too, shurely I' m not looking for his sound signature. 👍

Shimin Li and Ink seem promising and your reviewers work is precious for us looking for gems for our collections. :)

Meteor as many others iems shurely are pleasing and many should like it, but I'm looking for something more full range and possibily detailed, more refined.... if you may understand what I mean. 😊

I think is very important to train the ears to the correct sound indipendently by the personal taste about more warm or clear sound, basshead or trebblehead.
I needed many attempts (and pokemons collect 😂) before understand why all you suggest some iems.

Maybe could be usefull for newbies make a short list of the absolutely best sounding low fi/mid fi iems so everyone may choose to save money and go for the safe path or make his own research and experience. IMMO 😊
Yeah, Meteor have tamed treble, and lack sparkle brilliance air on top. Thick overall balance, doesnt sound like an hybrid.

Short list of absolute best sound....if in term of technical performance, its possible to do, but if based on tonality this will never satisfy everybody, its impossible. this is why i find misleading Best List wtv the reviewer, even my list to some extend. unless you only check Absolute technical score. (i need to update this list again though lol)

but again, if we just base on technical side, we enter big praise for DQSM Hermit wich is tonaly unpleasant imo

even if i test 300 iem, i dont feel its enough to be confident about Best things since i dont test them all....im a reviewer eaten alive by doubt lol always. not good for being confident hyper since you need to be superficial a bit when going this road imo

but a very underatted bright V shape with great tech is Blon BL05S it can be found for 35$.

Attachments

• 1651841554527.png
    1651841554527.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #30,066 of 31,833
Yeah, Meteor have tamed treble, and lack sparkle brilliance air on top. Thick overall balance, doesnt sound like an hybrid.

Short list of absolute best sound....if in term of technical performance, its possible to do, but if based on tonality this will never satisfy everybody, its impossible. this is why i find misleading Best List wtv the reviewer, even my list to some extend. unless you only check Absolute technical score. (i need to update this list again though lol)

but again, if we just base on technical side, we enter big praise for DQSM Hermit wich is tonaly unpleasant imo

even if i test 300 iem, i dont feel its enough to be confident about Best things since i dont test them all....im a reviewer eaten alive by doubt lol always. not good for being confident hyper since you need to be superficial a bit when going this road imo

but a very underatted bright V shape with great tech is Blon BL05S it can be found for 35$.
Uhmmm I think you are right...lol

In this day I'm doing a second round up of all my pokemons looking for the more tonally correct and something strange appens, KS10 pro raise many positions in my personal ranking, not the best but....but if I use it for symphonic music or complex tracks the technical limits come out. 😉😂

And more, after a long selection, I have found myself to compare the DB3 with KS10 PRO, NRA, EA1 and....Shozy 1.1 as the best iems between all I've with the more realistic reproduction (not technical ability as you correctly say).....and this make me think a lot! 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I haven't the heart to say what is the result of my round up......😎😂

This is the real reason 'cos I've ask for a short list...I'm a little confused. 😂

Maybe is better I wait for the Mirror gets home. Lol

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #30,067 of 31,833
Having a maximum budget of 100$ ( could stretch a few dollars more), is it preferable to get a very good IEM or a pair of IEM + DAC/AMP? I understand that the audio source is also important but i don't have much exactly much budget right now. Thanks in advance ^^

May 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #30,068 of 31,833
Having a maximum budget of 100$ ( could stretch a few dollars more), is it preferable to get a very good IEM or a pair of IEM + DAC/AMP? I understand that the audio source is also important but i don't have much exactly much budget right now. Thanks in advance ^^
Put the $$ into the IEM. It's by far the most important part of the chain -- especially at the budget level, where the nuances of a DAC/Amp aren't likely to make a significant difference in what you hear.

Most IEMs don't need amplification because they're intended to run from portable sources (phones, DAPs). But do check reviews before you buy; a responsible reviewer will note the occasional IEM that really benefits from an amp.

May 8, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #30,069 of 31,833

If you aren't sure what type of sound signature you prefer (or if you know you are treble sensitive), avoid brighter IEMs to start with. You could always buy a couple of IEMs with different signatures to find what you prefer before making a larger purchase. The number of choices is insane. Beware of FOTM (flavor off the month), as a group we tend to have a phenomenally short attention span. "Look a new shiny thing", is not always the best buying strategy. Older models are more of a known quantity and also more likely to be on sale.

Everything here is a tradeoff, if you add too much of any one thing, other things suffer. So someone can describe an IEM as having "great treble extension, imaging, soundstage and details". To someone else it is "shouty, sibilant and lacking bass". It also goes the other way: a "warm, full bodied IEM with good slam in the bass" is someone else's "dark muddy IEM with overly rolled off treble, mid-bass bleed and very poor technically".

If you prefer a particular type of music, people here can offer suggestions, as to which IEMs might better suit your preferences. Read between the lines, you want to find something that fits your own preferences!

May 8, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #30,070 of 31,833
First of all, thank you both very much ^^
Put the $$ into the IEM. It's by far the most important part of the chain -- especially at the budget level, where the nuances of a DAC/Amp aren't likely to make a significant difference in what you hear.

Most IEMs don't need amplification because they're intended to run from portable sources (phones, DAPs). But do check reviews before you buy; a responsible reviewer will note the occasional IEM that really benefits from an amp.
I assumed something similar honestly, but since they usually talk about pairing with certain sources and amplification capabilities i didn't want to miss an "important" part honestly. I guess my only path for now is to focus on something easy to handle anywhere and eventually, if I can, get a better source.
If you aren't sure what type of sound signature you prefer (or if you know you are treble sensitive), avoid brighter IEMs to start with. You could always buy a couple of IEMs with different signatures to find what you prefer before making a larger purchase. The number of choices is insane. Beware of FOTM (flavor off the month), as a group we tend to have a phenomenally short attention span. "Look a new shiny thing", is not always the best buying strategy. Older models are more of a known quantity and also more likely to be on sale.

Everything here is a tradeoff, if you add too much of any one thing, other things suffer. So someone can describe an IEM as having "great treble extension, imaging, soundstage and details". To someone else it is "shouty, sibilant and lacking bass". It also goes the other way: a "warm, full bodied IEM with good slam in the bass" is someone else's "dark muddy IEM with overly rolled off treble, mid-bass bleed and very poor technically".

If you prefer a particular type of music, people here can offer suggestions, as to which IEMs might better suit your preferences. Read between the lines, you want to find something that fits your own preferences!
Honestly, this answer was very helpful, and I appreciate it very much.

If I could define the sound signature I prefer, I think it's undoubtedly close to the classic V-Shape, but I'm sensitive to treble, so I prefer that region to have just the right amount of brightness to avoid tiring me out (or worse, making my ear suffer) but also to still stand out and have just the right amount of brightness. I definitely prefer the bass to be powerful but fast and not to oppress the rest of the frequencies (I should clarify that I haven't tested many audio devices and much less "serious" audio, so I haven't defined my preferences yet).

About my musical preferences, I essentially listen to a lot of pop or popular genres (particularly electronic genres), but I'm also very versatile and can end up listening to some albums or playlists of more "traditional" and acoustic genres, so I would value a pair that are all-terrain in that sense.

May 8, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #30,071 of 31,833
First of all, thank you both very much ^^

I assumed something similar honestly, but since they usually talk about pairing with certain sources and amplification capabilities i didn't want to miss an "important" part honestly. I guess my only path for now is to focus on something easy to handle anywhere and eventually, if I can, get a better source.

Honestly, this answer was very helpful, and I appreciate it very much.

If I could define the sound signature I prefer, I think it's undoubtedly close to the classic V-Shape, but I'm sensitive to treble, so I prefer that region to have just the right amount of brightness to avoid tiring me out (or worse, making my ear suffer) but also to still stand out and have just the right amount of brightness. I definitely prefer the bass to be powerful but fast and not to oppress the rest of the frequencies (I should clarify that I haven't tested many audio devices and much less "serious" audio, so I haven't defined my preferences yet).

About my musical preferences, I essentially listen to a lot of pop or popular genres (particularly electronic genres), but I'm also very versatile and can end up listening to some albums or playlists of more "traditional" and acoustic genres, so I would value a pair that are all-terrain in that sense.
you could buy KZ EDA for $30. Its a package of three IEM. one for each, Bass focused, Balanced focused, and Treble Focused.
Its a good sampler if you wanna know which type of sound you like

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-kz-eda.25768/
https://kz-audio.com/kz-eda.html
---
1652063825882.png

Image from Xerus

May 8, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #30,072 of 31,833
Nymphonomaniac's very first post in this thread, which still gets updated --

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...essions-sharing-personal-ranking-list.805930/

-- is a good starting point in looking at affordable IEMs. I haven't heard anywhere near all of those, but I agree with the observations on the ones I have heard.

One model that shows up on just about every under-$100 list, not just that one, is the $80 Moondrop Aria. The consensus is that it's a good all-rounder with an excellent soundstage. I haven't heard it myself. It's available from Amazon USA (I don't know about Argentina) and from aliexpress.com.

Apparently the Aria's cable is not the best. The $20 left in your budget could get something from aliexpress.com like a soft woven TRN T2 cable (which I do have and recommend). Get the .78mm 2-pin cable with a 3.5mm plug, pick your color.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003567804290.html

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #30,075 of 31,833
2005 pages, I think there would be too much for me to absorb:triportsad::triportsad: May I know what are some of the latest chi-fi/ best budget IEMs you guys here would recommend that has clear vocals, at the same time presenting great bass?
Great bass with clear vocal? whats your budget?
the new Reecho SG01 OVA or Trip Mele is under $50.

Depend on how much quantity bass you need. Olina is pricier and have less quantity in bass but have much higher quality in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back