CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 2, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #30,046 of 31,834
After 1 months of shipping delay, the much anticipated HZSOUND WAIST DRUM just arrive.
And man, while the last Bell Rhyme earbuds was good but not exceptional....the hype should grow quite fast with those.

I was afraid it use same driver than DQSM Hermit, but housing is way smaller and tonality as well as timbre have nothing to do. We have the HZ house sound here, crisp, open , transparent and detailed yet superbly balanced and with quite dense and natural timbre. This is another IEM that hit way above it's price range and i'm very happy to have convince Keephifi to sell them ASAP.

Need more listen, but first impressions is one of a very refined neutral yet dynamic and holographic musicality. I will compare them to HZsound Hearth Mirror for sure, even if i can already say the Mirror are sharper and crisper and more W shape while this one perhaps more Harman target in the balance since mids are fuller sounding. Just wow man...HZ are in BIG league now imo

Another proof of their acoustic expertise is the very wise choice of ear tips, all of them sound good but deliver slightly different focus in tonality,

Housing is so small that if deeply inserted it will be perfect sleeper.

34$ really? You can order from here, shipping being fast 99% of the time (which wasnt the case for these IEM that obsess me since they appear on Taobao)
https://keephifi.com/products/hzsound-waist-drum
Hi NimPHONOmanic,
very interesting your first impression about Waist Drum, I'm waiting your review. :)

Looking at your suggestion about Audiosense Aq4 I've find the AQ0 only one graphene composite diaphragm and It remain the only contender with the TK300 2 ba 1dd for my basshead iem search.

Now waiting for the Mirror arrived at home the NiceHCK DB3 incredibly well sounding for the price. USD 19,23 for deep enough controlled full body bass, trasparent airy mids and highs enough detailed, clear and correct tonality, good instruments separation.
Only cons the 8khz peak but during the burn in it seems tamed down, maybe my ears are adapting or maybe 'cos I've changed Final tips and a NiceHCK 8 core copper silver plated cable...🤔
(Now I'm earing the Tannhauser Overture at full volume 😉)

Anyway a surprisingly good iem.

Forgot...It is peaky about bad recordings.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #30,047 of 31,834
Hi NimPHONOmanic,
very interesting your first impression about Waist Drum, I'm waiting your review. :)

Looking at your suggestion about Audiosense Aq4 I've find the AQ0 only one graphene composite diaphragm and It remain the only contender with the TK300 2 ba 1dd for my basshead iem search.

Now waiting for the Mirror arrived at home the NiceHCK DB3 incredibly well sounding for the price. USD 19,23 for deep enough controlled full body bass, trasparent airy mids and highs enough detailed, clear and correct tonality, good instruments separation.
Only cons the 8khz peak but during the burn in it seems tamed down, maybe my ears are adapting or maybe 'cos I've changed Final tips and a NiceHCK 8 core copper silver plated cable...🤔

Small impressions on the HZSound Waist Drum here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-4183#post-16944903

Quite a good set, more musical and less sterile than the Heart Mirror

May 3, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #30,048 of 31,834
May 3, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #30,049 of 31,834
Thank's Baskingshark. 👍

It don't seems my cup of tea, I've buy the Mirror to have an analitycal/technical set but this is to bright for my taste. 😉

Yep, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think you may be a basshead, and so far the HZSound line-up that I've tried (Waist Drum, Heart Mirror, Bell Rhyme), all are neutralish/bass-lite.

My endgame midFI basshead sets would be the IKKO OH10 (if you can tolerate the fit - shells are huge and heavy) and the Sony XBA-N3 (I think they are not in production anymore so might have to buy it 2nd hand). I've been using the XBA-N3 the past few weeks happily, very textured big bass with good timbre, and excellent layering/soundstage.

May 3, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #30,050 of 31,834
Yep, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think you may be a basshead, and so far the HZSound line-up that I've tried (Waist Drum, Heart Mirror, Bell Rhyme), all are neutralish/bass-lite.

My endgame midFI basshead sets would be the IKKO OH10 (if you can tolerate the fit - shells are huge and heavy) and the Sony XBA-N3 (I think they are not in production anymore so might have to buy it 2nd hand). I've been using the XBA-N3 the past few weeks happily, very textured big bass with good timbre, and excellent layering/soundstage.
I think my english may generate some mistake. 😃

I like ear the music in different way, generally I prefer warm sound I find more natural and I'm sensible to trebbles peak by the way for relaxing listening I like iems like Aria or Tanja, sometime I like a more technical/analitical listening and I go for Shozy 1.1 and I hope Mirror could be a nice addiction, but generally I like a full spectrum reproduction more fun, engaging and correct to my ears.
I love start from 20hz, fill visceral subbass, good detailed slamming mid bass, detailed natural mids and estended not pearcing trebbles.
A right reproduction, detailed and tonally correct, this makes me in someway a basshead and not a trebblehead 'cos I understand the tecnicality of open trebbles but find this sound right only for professional use.

As example the DB3 are a bright confortabile sounding iem (with deep deep bass I've try them with Chamaleon) 1 step above the Emerald, less energetic then EA1 but more relaxing and tonally correct! Are them technical? No! But enough revealing to be more then right by the price.

Anyway my ears are trained for right sound reproduction, I could apprecciate cheap effort in this way more then bad expensive result, but I understand well high end quality reproduction instruments, maybe I cannot affort them. 😉😊

Yes, I love full deep bass, but controlled (Shozy bass are not enough or real to me!).😎😂

So I've added the IKMO HO10 to my personal wish list.👍👍

Thank's Baskingshark!😃

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #30,051 of 31,834
I think my english may generate some mistake. 😃

I like ear the music in different way, generally I prefer warm sound I find more natural and I'm sensible to trebbles peak by the way for relaxing listening I like iems like Aria or Tanja, sometime I like a more technical/analitical listening and I go for Shozy 1.1 and I hope Mirror could be a nice addiction, but generally I like a full spectrum reproduction more fun, engaging and correct to my ears.
I love start from 20hz, fill visceral subbass, good detailed slamming mid bass, detailed natural mids and estended not pearcing trebbles.
A right reproduction, detailed and tonally correct, this makes me in someway a basshead and not a trebblehead 'cos I understand the tecnicality of open trebbles but find this sound right only for professional use.

As example the DB3 are a bright confortabile sounding iem (with deep deep bass I've try them with Chamaleon) 1 step above the Emerald, less energetic then EA1 but more relaxing and tonally correct! Are them technical? No! But enough revealing to be more then right by the price.

Anyway my ears are trained for right sound reproduction, I could apprecciate cheap effort in this way more then bad expensive result, but I understand well high end quality reproduction instruments, maybe I cannot affort them. 😉😊

Yes, I love full deep bass, but controlled (Shozy bass are not enough or real to me!).😎😂

So I've added the IKMO HO10 to my personal wish list.👍👍

Thank's Baskingshark!😃
You may also like the OH1S as it has a very well balanced full range sound. The Knowles 33518 is very well tuned here and there are no nasty peaks. There are some helpful reviews here on Head Fi.

May 3, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #30,052 of 31,834
You may also like the OH1S as it has a very well balanced full range sound. The Knowles 33518 is very well tuned here and there are no nasty peaks. There are some helpful reviews here on Head Fi.
Yes Nimweth this is a good example of what is to me a right sounding neutral, balanced technical iem.👍

I'm really courious to ear the Mirror all you experienced forumers have in your pokemons arsenal.😃

May 3, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #30,053 of 31,834
The OH10 can be shouty depending on your tolerances.

Which is why I went and modded it a bit.

graph - 2022-05-03T124345.292.png

Remove the stock filter, put in 1 piece of high-density tuning foams and then put tanchjim filters on top (tanchjim filters can be substituted with the 500 mesh).

May 3, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #30,054 of 31,834

graph - 2022-05-03T124345.292.png
Remove the stock filter, put in 1 piece of high-density tuning foams and then put tanchjim filters on top (tanchjim filters can be substituted with the 500 mesh).
I do not have the OH10, it is the hybrid OH1S Gems I was referring to. I have not heard the OH10.

May 3, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #30,055 of 31,834

Hi RikudouGoku,
will you explain me better?

Normally to tame a little to hot trebbles I use foam tips, pure copper cable (Kbear 8 core for a balanced effect or Trn 8 core for drastical effect) and last the Tanchjim filter.

For 500 meshes are you speaking about the metal one?

Now much do the foam in the nozzle alters the sound and needs to remove the nozzle?

For the Knowles BA exist different nozzle that, if I have understood well, act as crossover working with different resistance value. Using this as do the resistance influence the sound?

Thank's!

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #30,056 of 31,834
Hi RikudouGoku,
will you explain me better?

Normally to tame a little to hot trebbles I use foam tips, pure copper cable (Kbear 8 core for a balanced effect or Trn 8 core for drastical effect) and last the Tanchjim filter.

For 500 meshes are you speaking about the metal one?

Now much do the foam in the nozzle alters the sound and needs to remove the nozzle?

For the Knowles BA exist different nozzle that, if I have understood well, act as crossover working with different resistance value. Using this as do the resistance influence the sound?

Thank's!
I mean that you need this tuning foam.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002711483821.html

High-density version, put it inside the iem nozzle. To be able to put it inside the nozzle, you need to remove the existing filter on the iem. So just remove it and then put the foam inside.

1651579373897.png

(it wont stick out like that on the OH10.)

Then you put this on top of the foam.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002875037663.html
500 mesh, 4.5mm version.
1651579473094.png

May 3, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #30,057 of 31,834
I mean that you need this tuning foam.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002711483821.html

High-density version, put it inside the iem nozzle. To be able to put it inside the nozzle, you need to remove the existing filter on the iem. So just remove it and then put the foam inside.

1651579373897.png
(it wont stick out like that on the OH10.)

Then you put this on top of the foam.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002875037663.html
500 mesh, 4.5mm version.
1651579473094.png
Ok Thank's! 👍😃

This could be very helpfull for me!

May 3, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #30,058 of 31,834
HZsound Waist Drum VS DQSM Hermit:

It make 2 years I use sporadically the DQSM HERMIT, which surely represent the sub-30$ single DD technical champ since it's transient response is crazy fast and this treble is extremely revealing, crisp and snappy yet a bit agressive and sometime shrilling. I do think they are incredible value for Treble Head or people not sensible to spiky high with lotta bite.
These are brighter than HZ Waist Drum, with higher resolution and airier treble. It seem the attack is a bit faster snappier too...
Biggest difference is the mid range, and overall timbre which is more dense and natural with Waist Drum.
Mids are less recessed and dry, upper mids are better rounded and less sibilant than Hermit too.
Bass of Hermit is more boxy while warmer and weightier with Waist Drum.
To go back to treble, it's more agressive with Hermit as said, but more grainy and hint artificial too, still, this offer a crisper imaging with more spacious separation.
Both male and female vocal sound better with Waist Drum, its rare that i say male vocal are bright, but with Hermit they are, and sibilance is more notable too since it doesnt mix as well in higher harmonic like female ones.
Yep, for treble head ONLY the Hermit, still....20$ is non sens bargain for agressivelly analytical W to V shape signature. For musical cohesion and balance, HZsound Waist Drum is alot more enjoyable, but this is subjective to some extend.

ok, i will compare them to HZsound Heart Mirror next.

1651592135949.png

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #30,059 of 31,834
Hi NimPHONOmanic,

Yes, DB3 have quite good reception....Waist Drum isnt intensely bright but bass will surely not be enough for you i think

I would suggest BQEYZ Autumn but it's a bit too pricey perhaps, still with modular tuning you can choose how much bass boost you want. IKKO OH10 is great as stated by other, a benchmark of its own, though mid and treble are a bit dry-bright.
FIIO FD3 might be up your alley, even if no master of technicalities...Final 3K too...

I would highly suggest you to try BQEYZ KC2 or K2 even if not basshead the mid bass slam is good, vocal presence is focus and treble is smooth but airy. Very high sound value due to their cheap price. KZ Zex Pro worth a mention too as well as FIIO JH3 (if 35$ but it will be to sharp in treble surely for you)

May 4, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #30,060 of 31,834
Yes, DB3 have quite good reception....Waist Drum isnt intensely bright but bass will surely not be enough for you i think

I would suggest BQEYZ Autumn but it's a bit too pricey perhaps, still with modular tuning you can choose how much bass boost you want. IKKO OH10 is great as stated by other, a benchmark of its own, though mid and treble are a bit dry-bright.
FIIO FD3 might be up your alley, even if no master of technicalities...Final 3K too...

I would highly suggest you to try BQEYZ KC2 or K2 even if not basshead the mid bass slam is good, vocal presence is focus and treble is smooth but airy. Very high sound value due to their cheap price. KZ Zex Pro worth a mention too as well as FIIO JH3 (if 35$ but it will be to sharp in treble surely for you)
Thank's NymPHONOmaniac,
I've ended the DB3 burn in and honestly it impressed me a lot taking into account the price, by now in the cheap price range I've in list only CRA+ and Tiandirhene TD02/06 that seems have promising quality and KC2 or K2 will shurely be a good choice too.

But I'm trying to raise up my quality targhet, Mirror and E4000 are on the way, so I've put in my wish list: Titan S (you and Baskingshark suggested me)
AQ0 (less pricey then AQ4)
TK300 (and my basshead side could be pleased 😉😂)

But I'm intrigued by HE01 and Yuan Li too (but are not in my priority ).

What about the Vesper?
This iem looks a good alternative or complement to the Aria....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back