CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 6, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #27,106 of 31,833
I was original looking at Soundmagic E11/Shure SE215/1more but was directed to try some of these new cheaper Chinese earphones.

Looking for something available in UK, I play electronic, hip hop, rnb. I prefer bassier earphones (fav phones are AT M50s) - Will mainly be driven from iPhone, sometimes Mac. Not vital but if it has a decent mics for calls would be a bonus.

So far looked at BLON BL-03, Final E500/1000/2000 (as well as Sony MH750) is there any others I should be looking at under £35/$50?
There are a lot of nice IEMs from KZ for under $50, such as the ZS10 Pro, ZSX, DQ6. Their sister brand, CCA, makes some good ones too, including the C10 which is one of my favourites.

The TRN V90 and TRN BA5 (another favourite of mine) are also good.

For Blon, along with the BL-03, there’s also the BL-01 and BL-05/BL-05s.

There’s many more that I haven’t mentioned. :sweat_smile: It’s hard to go wrong here as most of them are good.

For your tastes I think I would recommend the TRN BA5 (my choice) and the Blon BL-03 or BL-01.

Edit: On second thought, the BA5 lacks the sub-bass for those genres. The Blons are probably the best. Although if you want to start listening to metal...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #27,107 of 31,833
Hi guys, been a few years som just gonna Ask you Nice people. What is the popular Buy these days?
Im a buffer raging from 200$- 700$ can be lower But this range gives the recomendations some flexibility..

LZ A7 - 10 tuning sound signatures from V shaped to U shaped to neutral. Great fit, isolation, technicalities and very good timbre for a hybrid containing a piezo. Very versatile set as such.

I was original looking at Soundmagic E11/Shure SE215/1more but was directed to try some of these new cheaper Chinese earphones.

Looking for something available in UK, I play electronic, hip hop, rnb. I prefer bassier earphones (fav phones are AT M50s) - Will mainly be driven from iPhone, sometimes Mac. Not vital but if it has a decent mics for calls would be a bonus.

So far looked at BLON BL-03, Final E500/1000/2000 (as well as Sony MH750) is there any others I should be looking at under £35/$50?

If u want a bassy set, u can read about the following options below. I would say don't buy the Shure SE215. It was good 10 - 15 years ago, but is now very overpriced and CHIFI has easily beaten them for better sound for a fraction of the price. I got rid of my SE215 the moment I got my first CHIFI, I find it very muddy and overrpriced in today's context.

1) BLON BL-03 - harmanish with midbass bump. Very good timbre and tonality but midbass is bloated and technicalities not the best. Fit is also a big issue - needs spacer mod or aftermarket longer nozzle ear tips eg spinfits due to the poor fit with stock tips - this adds to costs, so be aware.

2) BLON BL-01 - brighter set than the BL-03, fit also iffy, slightly better technical performance than BL-03. Cheaper too.

3) Final E3000 - warm V shaped, bassier than E500/1000/2000, but the midbass is a bit slow. Non detachable cable though. Needs amping, sounds meh from a smartphone that is low powered. Non fatiguing and very smooth, not for trebleheads. When amped, has very good imaging and soundstage and layering at the sub $50 region.

4) If u can top up a bit more cash, consider the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 - assuming it is a beryllium driver set, as there are sellers selling a noble metal driver version which is less bassy. The beryllium version is V shaped, very well textured subbass and extension in the bass, mids are a not the best, but great for basshead music. Has MMCX issues even in newer sold models, so if u are intending to buy it, best to buy from somewhere like Amazon with a robust return's policy, just in case.

5) If u can top up a bit more cash, consider iBasso IT00 - U shaped with great subbass. Good technicalities. Has driver flex though. I consider this an upgrade over the BLON BL-03.

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #27,108 of 31,833
LZ A7 - 10 tuning sound signatures from V shaped to U shaped to neutral. Great fit, isolation, technicalities and very good timbre for a hybrid containing a piezo. Very versatile set as such.

If u want a bassy set, u can read about the following options below. I would say don't buy the Shure SE215. It was good 10 - 15 years ago, but is now very overpriced and CHIFI has easily beaten them for better sound for a fraction of the price. I got rid of my SE215 the moment I got my first CHIFI, I find it very muddy and overrpriced in today's context.

1) BLON BL-03 - harmanish with midbass bump. Very good timbre and tonality but midbass is bloated and technicalities not the best. Fit is also a big issue - needs spacer mod or aftermarket longer nozzle ear tips eg spinfits due to the poor fit with stock tips - this adds to costs, so be aware.

2) BLON BL-01 - brighter set than the BL-03, fit also iffy, slightly better technical performance than BL-03. Cheaper too.

3) Final E3000 - warm V shaped, bassier than E500/1000/2000, but the midbass is a bit slow. Non detachable cable though. Needs amping, sounds meh from a smartphone that is low powered. Non fatiguing and very smooth, not for trebleheads. When amped, has very good imaging and soundstage and layering at the sub $50 region.

4) If u can top up a bit more cash, consider the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 - assuming it is a beryllium driver set, as there are sellers selling a noble metal driver version which is less bassy. The beryllium version is V shaped, very well textured subbass and extension in the bass, mids are a not the best, but great for basshead music. Has MMCX issues even in newer sold models, so if u are intending to buy it, best to buy from somewhere like Amazon with a robust return's policy, just in case.

5) If u can top up a bit more cash, consider iBasso IT00 - U shaped with great subbass. Good technicalities. Has driver flex though. I consider this an upgrade over the BLON BL-03.

This is a nice list, thank you. I am gonna look close at that ibasso one.. THanks

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #27,109 of 31,833
Could you post up a link to this mod, I would like to try it, because I could never figure out the love for these IEM's.
From the blon iem impressions thread:
I wanted to share a cheap sound upgrade for the Blon BL-03.

The stock nozzle mesh is a hybrid ‘sandwich’ of stainless steel mesh stacked on top of a black nylon fabric mesh. If you remove the stock piece and replace it with a normal 4.0mm stainless nozzle mesh, the sound improves.

The first thing you notice after replacing the mesh is how smooth the stock sound was, and was slightly veiled. Replacing the mesh increases the clarity and makes the sound less smeared. Bass becomes clearer and more crisp. Lower treble becomes much less recessed and more balanced in the overall mix. Vocals are improved, and are brought more forward.

A great example is Michael Jackson Billie Jean - the shaker that plays in the right channel throughout the entire song. It is quite recessed on the stock Blon (like it’s 30 feet away, almost like it’s in another room). With the new nozzle mesh it sounds like it’s in the same room, placed about 10 feet away where it is supposed to be with the rest of the percussion set.

I’m not saying the stock Blon sounds bad; quite the contrary. I quite enjoy the stock Blon. But this turns up the clarity a few notches and everything is cleaner sounding, like the difference between cassette vs CD/flac.

You can save the stock mesh on a piece of waxed baking paper or even an unused and clean wax candle. In this way, the mod is totally reversible.

The 4.0mm nozzle mesh can be found on Aliexpress by searching for the term “earphone dust network”, and runs about $1 for 20pcs (ie 10 pairs). That’s $0.10 to upgrade a set of Blons.

804B146A-8AC6-4979-92D9-31B5025552AA.jpeg

This upgrade is nothing new, and many modders use this same cheap upgrade on other earphones that come stock with nylon mesh or stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screens. I just didn’t realize that the Blons use a hybrid stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screen. Otherwise, I would have tried the mod a long time ago. In fact, if I had tried this mod earlier, I would not have bought the Urbanfun ISS014. I actually feel that the modded Blon sounds better than the ISS014, which says a lot.

Anyways, enjoy and let me know how you like it if you choose to do this cheap and simple mod.
This is a 1 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.

All you do is take a sewing needle and remove the stock nozzle mesh by gently lifting it up at its edge. The new nozzle mesh just peels and sticks on, which you also do with the sewing needle. Once it’s set in place, VERY GENTLY push down in the circumference with a flat object such as a narrow soda straw, or even a qtip (cotton swab).

Instead of sewing needle, you can also use a diabetic lancet, syringe needle, safety pin, or even thumb tack/push pin.

I strongly recommend some sort of magnification such as magnifying glass, which makes the job infinitely easier. You also need a somewhat steady hand.
I got an even easier mod for you guys. It’s more precise, more consistent, and cleaner than just stuffing the nozzle with cotton.

The downsides to cotton are 1. it’s inconsistent to get a proper density and fill. And 2. small cotton dust and fibers become detached and fall onto the driver diaphragm. These downsides are not desirable at all.

This mod is made especially for the Blon owners that tried the nozzle mesh mod and feel the treble is a little too much. Or those that were afraid to try the nozzle mesh mod for fear that the treble might be too much.

There’s a guy on another popular audio board (which I cannot link to or specifically mention on HeadFi because that site is banned from discussion here). Anyways, this guy modded his JVC HA-FD01 (a carbon nanotube dynamic earphone) by rolling up an alcohol pad and inserting it into the JVC nozzle. This allowed the treble peaks to be tamed while not causing loss of detail. It’s like the best of both worlds; like having your cake and eating it too.

The resulting mod was extremely effective. So effective that a modded pair was sent to engineers at JVC in Japan for evaluation. JVC was so impressed with the mod that they actually created a whole new version of the HA-FD01 based around the modded filter. It was sold through Massdrop as the HA-FDX1.

I tried the same mod to the Blon, and all I can say is it’s basically Blon perfection.

To do the mod, you still need to remove the stock hybrid ‘sandwich’ nozzle screens, and obtain the $0.10 replacement plain stainless nozzle screens.

That is outlined here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-182#post-15531900

And yes, the proper size of nozzle mesh is listed at that link, as well as where/how to buy them.

Next you need to obtain a 2-ply alcohol wipe. The kind that you rub on your skin before an injection is given. You cannot use the 1-ply type, as they are way too thick. The 2-ply pads are basically a 3”X1.5” rectangle that is folded in half to make a 1.5”X1.5” square from the factory.

C03BD5B6-F825-49CE-8428-DF85F5018B7E.jpeg

You can buy them anywhere and everywhere. Even get one for free from a Dr office, hospital, or health clinic. Or ask any diabetic, nurse, doctor, pharmacist, or paramedic. They will give you one for free, trust me. But you must open the wipe up and inspect it to make sure it’s the 2-ply type that can be unfolded.

Let me repeat that: Get. The. 2-ply. Type. Only.

If you can only one the thick fuzzy 1-ply type, then keep looking until you the 2-ply type.

Once you have your 2-ply alcohol pad, all you do is remove it from the package, unfold the wipe, and let it air dry on a table for a few hours. Then it’s all ready to use.

Next you take sharp scissors and cut the dried alcohol pad into a 4mmx12mm rectangle. Like this:

8E7D1128-3A7E-405E-A28B-F2CEDC9B16F6.jpeg

The size must be precise. You can play with the length some. Just don’t go longer than 18mm or you will dampen too much treble. And don’t go shorter than 12mm or it won’t really do anything noticeable.

Next, carefully roll up the filter, like this:

EACBDEF2-1FA0-4F62-A224-2AD4462417A9.jpeg

Then insert it down into the nozzle with sharp tweezers. It will ‘spring’ open and fill up the nozzle. Once inserted, it should look like this:

6599D49D-326B-45FC-9D44-61A601B2A221.jpeg

Here’s a closer shot.

006065F5-FCD9-41F4-9213-1B2CB58A6CB1.jpeg

Also, you don’t want to jam the alcohol filter down as far as it will go inside the nozzle. You want to insert it so it’s juuuust barely under the stainless nozzle mesh (once the stainless mesh is reinstalled). Look for a little shelf flange section that’s machined into the inside of nozzle; that’s what the stainless screen will sit on. You want the alcohol filter to be just barely below that little shelf flange part.

728F81B2-C14C-4A68-8045-EF0FB3621997.jpeg

Also note that the center of the nozzle is not blocked in any way by the alcohol pad roll. All the rolled up alcohol pad filter did was make a more narrow opening, where the inside circumference of the nozzle is lined with the alcohol pad filter. The bulk of the sound from the driver is still free to come up through the hole in the center of the alcohol pad filter.

Finally, you install the new stainless nozzle mesh you obtained earlier.

94C0FCE2-56FB-4B6A-B717-5823CE0A094D.jpeg

And that’s all there is to it!

Enjoy.
BLON BL-03 MOD MEASUREMENTS

Alright so I spent my 2 days measuring the BL-03 with some mods, hopefully these are useful.
In case you don't know, THe BLON BL-03 also using infamous nylon cloth mesh as a damper underneath the metal nozzle grill. Im into simple modding IEM, not into extreme mod or anything else, but from my experience, this kind of damper have more bad effects rather than its goodness.
The nylon cloth mesh dampers are believed by chifi manufacturer to smoothen upper mids region, while that doing good for the purposes, they also came with bad effect altogether, the main issue is bad airflow especially with IEM containing DD. THis will make bass part become bloated, think of covering vents with something, bass become bigger in quantity but sounded bloated. Other bad issues are reduced clarity, and blurry imaging (reducing imaging quality).
Moondrop lately found a way using similar cloth damper but I have yet to know what material they are using (mine still on the way) that sold separately. THeir damper although using similar cloth, may have different effect. Why? because they made a gap between the the damper and the grill. This is a clever way to avoid air flow blockage, but I need to listen myself if they still make bass bloated.
So some of us tried to remove / change the grill to make the IEM sounded better, but sometimes the default tuning without damper are too peaky, so we have to damper them with different way that better than using nylon cloth mesh.

THank you to @Slater that found this BL-03 are using that infamous cloth mesh damper, I didn't think at all that they are using the cloth mesh damper, you can take a look of his great tutorial few pages back (someone help me find the link, i will post here for easier findout)

So I tried to mod with several materials to find which are the best, I mod and measure every materials that i use hopefully this will be useful for the community.

OK, to begin with, here is my rig, using similar rig with @crinacle because I feel his measurement is one of the best in the world, and I used to see his graph among others. I'm using IEC711 coupler copy, with apple dongle, with REW, calibrated to have similar result with crinacle and always try to keep resonance peak as close as 8khz. Crinacle is using wide bore for measurement, but I'm using medium bore that can fit lot of my IEM, and more important stay inside the coupler with proper seal. So slight differences can be caused of eartips being used, unit variance on IEM themselves, unit variance on dongle, unit variance on coupler, mic, cables etc.
20200819_131008~2.jpg

Comparison between My graph and @crinacle 's. His graph as always credits to him with respect.
FR by DynamicEars compared to Crinacle's.jpg's.jpg

Here the default BL-03 FR by Crin :
BL-03.jpg

And here my measurement on BL-03 default :
FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03.jpg
As you can see, my L (green lines) unit have lower bass quantity, i checked everything, holes, vents, tried different cables etc with no dice. I take that as driver unit variance. Too bad i just give my second BL-03 to my relatives earlier this year.

So i will use the R unit as reference since my L unit seems off with that roll off bass (but hey that is tuned better actually i guess?)

This is measurement to compare between default BL-03 with cloth mesh filter and filterless. Brown is default, Blue is filterless
FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless.jpg
To my ears, the bass is a lot cleaner due gone of bloated effect caused by that cloth mesh. On graph they cant be really seen, but its very obvious to my ears. same with bass decat, texture that you can't see from an FR graph.

Right, so the filterless BL-03 have peaky +13db pinna gain on roughly 2.2khz, 5.5khz and 8khz. Scariest peak is on that 5.5khz, that shouty sibilances. We did try several method to tame down that peaks so I try to measure a lot of materials for our curiosity.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Alcohol Swab.jpg
Dried alcohol swab (red line) rolled on side of nozzle with no blockage at all on center of nozzle tamed the peaks a little bit, the bass still very clean, fast, tight, like filterless which is great result, but the peaks may a bit shouty to some.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Cotton.jpg
20200819_112104_HDR~2.jpg20200819_111653~2.jpg

Rolled cotton (green line on FR), roughly square 7mm put into nozzle, similar to alcohol swab, more like a "C" in the nozzle rather than full circle donut, because its easier. The result tame the peaks as much as the original filter, but of course with no bloated bass, but the cotton absorb too much upper mids and trebles, extension of the cymbals, decay of snares sounded gone too fast, very minimum resonance.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs mod soft foam.jpg
Next up is Soft foam (bright red line) , its a foam with very soft density, like almost no power to bounce back if you pinch it. I got them from the hard case for IEM. I cut rounghly 5mm in length, with width and depth lower than nozzle diameter, so they still have plenty space of air. Result is pretty good, Bass is tight, no bloat with litlle bit smoother upper mids but without losing of clarity and treble extension. Can be a little shouty, just occasionally happen, but i like a little bit tamed upper mids, at least below 10db increment from 1khz.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs mod Long soft foam.jpg
With longer soft foam (roughly 10mm) (tosca line) the upper mids is tamed down, very smooth result, similar to original state but better bass (no bloated), 8khz treble resonance peak also tamed down. I like this tonality but maybe i want to cut down the soft foam a little bit more for more aggressive and fun signature, just slightly.

20200819_105902~2.jpg
left green foam : animal sponge (capsule animal sponge in 1 dollar store), soft density but not as soft as right one
right black foam : soft foam from IEM case, very soft density with a lot of cavities)

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs animal sponge.jpg
This time, I was using animal sponge (purple line). What the heck is that? that is a sponge that i found quite good that i use in the past for mod, they can be bought on one dollar store, a capsule sponge animal, put into the hot water and the sponge animal will popped out
s-l300.jpg
something like this, image by google.
Result is very good too, with smooth upper mids but still non bloated bass, but the softer density foam (the black one above) do better job on clarity, remember to cut smaller than nozzle diameter so they can be fit without any force, dont put big cut and pinch to insert, they will be too full and muffled the sound.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Micropore full.jpg
Alright so next one is our popular mod tool, the 3M micropore, with full cover, covering the entire nozzle (peach line). As you can see and inline with what im hearing, they produce similar result with default BL-03 with that cloth mesh filter, bloated bass, you can see the bass FR there, back to original state, what you can't see is how bad the bloat, the texture. Upper mids also sounded a little bit veiled.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Micropore w 1 hole.jpg
Next is I pinched a hole on that micropore tape, just 1 hole in the center (magenta line), bass is better than full micropore covering entire nozzle, but still have smear, not as clean as other mod.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Micropore w many holes.jpg
Then i went crazy, stabbing the micropore on nozzle so they have many holes lol (on purpose) (showed in dark green line), bass become great, non bloated, much better than full micropore or micropore with 1 hole, logically of course make in common sense, better airflow for the DD. The upper mids of course less tamed than full micropore or just 1 hole, as you can see, but this is pretty good result too.

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Micropore 3 4 cover.jpg
Then I ditch that micropore, changed into new micropore but now I cover only 3/4 of nozzle hole (dark red line), left with roughly 1/4 open, unfiltered. This is a classic mod and now proven this is a very good solution too, and very easy way too for beginner. Bass is clean, non bloated, very nice clean bass like the unfiltered one, the upper mids is similar with micropore with many holes. Great result too!

FR by DynamicEars - BLON BL-03 default vs filterless vs Mod Micropore half cover.jpg
Just to kill curiosity, i reduce the micropore into half, covering only half of nozzle opening (green line). Bass of course great like filterless, but the upper mids also similar like filterless, too shouty. Hence, I didn't bother to try with 1/4 cover nozzle with micropore.

So out of few experiments with different materials, I like the 3/4 micropore cover and soft foam as the best result among all. As a note, sony is using soft foam as a damper, its no joke, they put soft density foam on the nozzle without any grill, but keep in mind that they did their homework, they tuned the Z1R for example with crazy bosst high mids but then put the foam, or the other way, they tune and measure with foam attached.

Conclusion, chifi manufacturer need to stop put this nylon cloth mesh glued together with grill as damper. They will bloat the bass. My H40 have similar effects too, and with the mod, the H40 is crazy, much better result than the BL-03 mod.

I'm sorry for super duper long post, but i feel its necessary to post everything in 1 post. Thanks for reading, sorry for your bandwidth.

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #27,110 of 31,833

Thanks! I think im gonna try the BLON BL-03. re: the final e3000, are they much better than e2000? On amazon UK the 3000 are £46 and 2000 are £22, wondering if they're worth double the price. (this is if I don't get on with the BLON's as I want them driven from iPhone, may also order Sony MH750 as I can get them for £4.50!)

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #27,111 of 31,833
Thanks! I think im gonna try the BLON BL-03. re: the final e3000, are they much better than e2000? On amazon UK the 3000 are £46 and 2000 are £22, wondering if they're worth double the price. (this is if I don't get on with the BLON's as I want them driven from iPhone, may also order Sony MH750 as I can get them for £4.50!)

E2000 and E3000 are tuned differently. Based on your preferred music genres like R&B and Hip Hop and bassier IEM preferences, I think the E3000 will do a better job preference wise, as it is bassier than E2000.

There are lots of fake Sony MH755s/MH750s, so best u check with the others in this thread on places to get real ones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ion-thread-mh750-mh755-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #27,112 of 31,833
I just bought the SSP. Going to use it when lying in bed...I am hoping for a nice more flusher fit that many talk about.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #27,113 of 31,833
E2000 and E3000 are tuned differently. Based on your preferred music genres like R&B and Hip Hop and bassier IEM preferences, I think the E3000 will do a better job preference wise, as it is bassier than E2000.

There are lots of fake Sony MH755s/MH750s, so best u check with the others in this thread on places to get real ones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ion-thread-mh750-mh755-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/

Thanks again! Just ordered BLON BL03 and Sony MH750. What people using to connect to newer iPhones nowadays with no jack? Just a normal lightning/3.5mm dongle or some kind of lightning DAC?

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #27,114 of 31,833
Thanks again! Just ordered BLON BL03 and Sony MH750. What people using to connect to newer iPhones nowadays with no jack? Just a normal lightning/3.5mm dongle or some kind of lightning DAC?

You can try the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Very good measurements, neutralish with a tinge of warmth. No hiss, no clicks, very low output impedance so it is a good pairing with high sensitive/low impedance type multi driver IEMs. Has a volume control and doesn't get warm. I got mine at $27 USD. Liked it so much I bought a 2nd pair subsequently. It can drive most IEMs except for planars and very low sensitivity types eg Final E5000, KBEAR BElieve.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #27,115 of 31,833
I wish you luck with both. BL-03 is infamous for the fit while the MHs are infamous for the many fakes out there.

Also assuming it works like its usb-c counterpart. I don't see the apple connector struggling with either.

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #27,117 of 31,833

I've never really understood the hype with the MH750/5. They're great for the money but no more. Tbh, right now for the cash I would go with the KZ EDX. Equally good, easier to drive and not faked beyond belief.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #27,118 of 31,833
You can try the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Very good measurements, neutralish with a tinge of warmth. No hiss, no clicks, very low output impedance so it is a good pairing with high sensitive/low impedance type multi driver IEMs. Has a volume control and doesn't get warm. I got mine at $27 USD. Liked it so much I bought a 2nd pair subsequently. It can drive most IEMs except for planars and very low sensitivity types eg Final E5000, KBEAR BElieve.

Cool will check it out.

So my BLON BL03's arrived today and im gutted, when im holding them into my ear they sound so good, exactly what im looking for, but no matter what I do they just don't fit. Tried all the included tips, tried some I have lying round, following the guide, nothing. Any tips or is this just the case with these being hard to fit?

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #27,119 of 31,833
Cool will check it out.

So my BLON BL03's arrived today and im gutted, when im holding them into my ear they sound so good, exactly what im looking for, but no matter what I do they just don't fit. Tried all the included tips, tried some I have lying round, following the guide, nothing. Any tips or is this just the case with these being hard to fit?

Bro we warned you in advance about the BLON BL-03's infamous fit issues. The BLON BL-03's stock nozzle is very short, so most westerners or those with larger ears have an issue with the stock tips. Also, the stock cable's plastic earhooks are very stiff and they have a tendency to yank the IEM out of the ear.

Well there are a few options now for fixing the eartips:
1) Try a longer nozzle eartip (eg KZ starlines, Spinfit CP 100/CP 145) may help.

2) Use flip tips mod (credit to Slater): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-or-fliptips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

3) Use a spacer mod or some variant of the sort (pics included, credit to these folks), YMMV:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1745#post-15176790
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1841#post-15260691
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1774#post-15201197

Options fix the stiff cable plastic earhook issue:
1) Buy aftermarket cable which is more supple. Sub $10 can get u a good set on Aliexpress eg NiceHCK 8 core copper cable.
2) Use a scissors to cut the plastic sheath of the earhooks (do at own risk, be careful not to cut the actual cable).
3) Use a hairdryer to heat the plastic sheath and shape it to whatever fits your ear.

Well I've tried the above options and while they do work, my personal fix for the fit issues on the BLON BL-03 ----> reverse the earpices and wear it cable down instead of over the ear. Switch the left and right earpieces, but maintain the cable sides (I use an aftermarket cable without plastic sheath earhooks). The BLON will look like a earbud and the stem of the IEM will be pointing downwards.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #27,120 of 31,833
Cool will check it out.

i use reversed foam tips on mine, but bear in mind that i can only use foam tips in reversed position, so other normal ears could settle just fine with regular positioned foams.
other method that is popular for BL03 users is using "flipped inside-out" silicone tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back