CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #26,926 of 31,833
@Slater Good to know! I will ask Tiandirenhe straight away, if they are producing for CVJ, TRN and Kbear, let's see what they answer 😜

Tiandirenhe is not affiliated with TRN or CVJ. They are separate.

TRN was started by former KZ engineers.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #26,927 of 31,833
I'd share a bit of my opinions on budget earbuds acquired recently, so people can get more info about them.

Sen*** Kp580: Don't understand why some people call them bassy. Their bass maybe sufficient with good seal, but overall upper-mids dominant. Clean sound, and very easy to drive. Excellent built! Would've hope more layered sound by them, as I couldn't enjoyed them without Bass-elevated EQs.

It's unit variance for this set. Some owners don't have that upper-mid elevation, even calling them warm. I, personally, have one that has grainy/rough upper-mids and elevated bass so I decided to do some reversible mods (also driver flex). You're not getting any driver flex?

There's a version 2 without the MMCX screw just so you know.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #26,928 of 31,833
It's unit variance for this set. Some owners don't have that upper-mid elevation, even calling them warm. I, personally, have one that has grainy/rough upper-mids and elevated bass so I decided to do some reversible mods (also driver flex). You're not getting any driver flex?

There's a version 2 without the MMCX screw just so you know.

I agree, there’s unit variance.

When I opened mine up to fix the phase wiring, there’s a significant amount of glue inside, both around the driver and also around the mmcx. Some of that glue could invariably drip down and block some or all the front vent before it’s had a chance to cure.

That’s apparently what happened to my first set that had the terrible driver flex. The glue had covered up the front vents.

The front vents are what impacts bass, which is why my first pair sound different than my second pair.

It’s not a big deal though; this issue can theoretically affect any earphone, and was easy enough to fix.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #26,929 of 31,833
I agree, there’s unit variance.

When I opened mine up to fix the phase wiring, there’s a significant amount of glue inside, both around the driver and also around the mmcx. Some of that glue could invariably drip down and block some or all the front vent before it’s had a chance to cure.

That’s apparently what happened to my first set that had the terrible driver flex. The glue had covered up the front vents.

The front vents are what impacts bass, which is why my first pair sound different than my second pair.

It’s not a big deal though; this issue can theoretically affect any earphone, and was easy enough to fix.
Is it easy to open them up? But I don't have any experience with these sort of stuff.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #26,930 of 31,833
@Slater Good to know! I will ask Tiandirenhe straight away, if they are producing for CVJ, TRN and Kbear, let's see what they answer 😜

I wouldn't be surprised these CHIFI companies do OEMs for each other. Just with a different logo on the shell.
Or they source drivers/shells and stuff from the same factories.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #26,931 of 31,833
Is it easy to open them up? But I don't have any experience with these sort of stuff.

You don’t have to open them up to correct or address the front vent, but you do have to open them up to resolder the wires to correct phase.

As far as the front vent, you need cobalt steel precision micro drill bits (which are a specialty item, not something you buy at the local hardware store). You then make a new hole in the nozzle using a pin vice. You have to prevent metal shavings from going down into the nozzle, and you also can’t make the hole too big, or you will screw up the tuning. You also have to make sure you don’t break the drill bit, which is very easy to do as the correct size bit is literally as thick as a human hair, and will snap off in the nozzle if you breathe wrong. Then you’re screwed.

If you’ve never done it, I honestly wouldn’t recommend it because so much can go wrong. I’ve been building IEMs for years, and working on fine jewelry using the same type of drill bits for over 30 years. So it’s literally a walk in the park for me.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #26,932 of 31,833
You don’t have to open them up to correct or address the front vent, but you do have to open them up to resolder the wires to correct phase.

As far as the front vent, you need cobalt steel precision micro drill bits (which are a specialty item, not something you buy at the local hardware store). You then make a new hole in the nozzle using a pin vice. You have to prevent metal shavings from going down into the nozzle, and you also can’t make the hole too big, or you will screw up the tuning. You also have to make sure you don’t break the drill bit, which is very easy to do as the correct size bit is literally as thick as a human hair, and will snap off in the nozzle if you breathe wrong. Then you’re screwed.
Welp, I guess I just have to live with it. Don't wanna *** up a relatively good IEM.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #26,933 of 31,833
Welp, I guess I just have to live with it. Don't wanna *** up a relatively good IEM.

Honestly, if there’s something wrong with your pair I would just let the seller know and I’m sure they would send you a new pair. That’s going to be infinitely easier than trying to fix them yourself. I mean, the cost of the precision drill bits alone exceeds the cost of a new pair @$12.

I only fix that sorta stuff myself because 1.) I already have all the tools, 2.) I have the experience, and 3.) I like the challenge of fixing stuff.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #26,935 of 31,833
Xduoo X20 > Fiio A5 > Shuoer Tape cable > Open Heart Resin > Spiral Dots and this piece of music. Power, grace and delicate nuances.. fabulous!

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #26,937 of 31,833
I wouldn't be surprised these CHIFI companies do OEMs for each other. Just with a different logo on the shell.
Or they source drivers/shells and stuff from the same factories.
Now, our job is to find the best one... :wink:

I wonder what China's earphone business main goal is (other than money)? To become like the rest with similar design?

Become the best and guard in-house secrets like BQEYZ, or...?

If people are sharing OEM parts that must be hard...to be unique.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #26,938 of 31,833
You're telling me these have better SQ, build, fit, cable, isolation, durability than, for example 7$ EDX?
I don't follow KZ anymore, I'll allow others to be their guinea pigs.

Is the EDX the new best $10 iem?

I own a lot of $10 earphones that I think the next step is $100 iems on sale for $50. :wink: (Semkarch CNT1/HiLisening Magic Beans)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #26,939 of 31,833
I don't follow KZ anymore, I'll allow others to be their guinea pigs.

Is the EDX the new best $10 iem?

I own a lot of $10 earphones that I think the next step is $100 iems on sale for $50. :wink: (Semkarch CNT1/HiLisening Magic Beans)
I don't like their Hybrid offering but I'm quite impressed by this single DD IEM, worth a try imho. :L3000:

Jan 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #26,940 of 31,833
I don't like their Hybrid offering but I'm quite impressed by this single DD IEM, worth a try imho. :L3000:
I'm skeptical of any KZ... especially after reading this review and comments (and way before that :wink:): https://audio-monkeys.com/in-ear/kz-edx-en/

I do like the white color of the EDX with the copper cable and will probably buy them eventually based on that. And, be disappointed? Except for the physical presentation. :wink:

PS: What do you like about them and how often are they used?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back