CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #26,896 of 31,833
Been having a quiet year-end break and enjoying my existing gear. I still rate the KZ ZAX and Moondrop SSP very highly despite the "new toy smell" having long since worn off on both of them.

While the temptation to upgrade beyond the $100 mark will always be there, these help stave off that itch during a time when fiscal prudence is probably for the best. I do have the TD06 en route - another new toy! - which has caught my interest.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #26,897 of 31,833
Been having a quiet year-end break and enjoying my existing gear. I still rate the KZ ZAX and Moondrop SSP very highly despite the "new toy smell" having long since worn off on both of them.

While the temptation to upgrade beyond the $100 mark will always be there, these help stave off that itch during a time when fiscal prudence is probably for the best. I do have the TD06 en route - another new toy! - which has caught my interest.

I am with you on going over the $100 mark...pretty happy with ZS10 Pro and TFZ Live 3...I would be lying if I did not say that the
Thieaudio Legacy 3 has my attention though.....anybody know how much of an upgrade these would be ?

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #26,898 of 31,833
I am with you on going over the $100 mark...pretty happy with ZS10 Pro and TFZ Live 3...I would be lying if I did not say that the
Thieaudio Legacy 3 has my attention though.....anybody know how much of an upgrade these would be ?
I'm also curious about this, I've tried cheaper iems till now (kz zsn, revonext qt2, operafactory om1, tfz t2 etc.) And I recently bought a second hand set of thieaudio legacy 3's for a bit more than the tfz t2, those should be coming today or in the next few days in the post, I might give my personal thoughts on what I hear (I also changed from using an audioquest dragonfly black dac to a shanling up2 which is more resolving and less warm but more powerful so I'll try it out on my pc motherboard dac/amp to make a fair comparison)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #26,899 of 31,833
I'm also curious about this, I've tried cheaper iems till now (kz zsn, revonext qt2, operafactory om1, tfz t2 etc.) And I recently bought a second hand set of thieaudio legacy 3's for a bit more than the tfz t2, those should be coming today or in the next few days in the post, I might give my personal thoughts on what I hear (I also changed from using an audioquest dragonfly black dac to a shanling up2 which is more resolving and less warm but more powerful so I'll try it out on my pc motherboard dac/amp)
I would love to hear you impressions

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #26,900 of 31,833
So i've heard some talk about the openheart resin earphones lately. Now these look very similar to the paiaudio dr2. I've found a number of iems that look alike, all with different branding or no branding at all. Here are some examples:
Pai Audio DR2
Openheart Resin Earphone
Tiandirenhe TD02
FDBRO TD1
PIZEN D90
No name A2
Are these the same but rebranded or do they have different drivers? The shells seem to be the exact same other than differing colors.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #26,901 of 31,833
So i've heard some talk about the openheart resin earphones lately. Now these look very similar to the paiaudio dr2. I've found a number of iems that look alike, all with different branding or no branding at all. Here are some examples:
Pai Audio DR2
Openheart Resin Earphone
Tiandirenhe TD02
FDBRO TD1
PIZEN D90
No name A2
Are these the same but rebranded or do they have different drivers? The shells seem to be the exact same other than differing colors.
Also the Smabat Black Bat has the same shell. It may be that Tiandirenhe are the major OEM of these.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #26,903 of 31,833

Legacy 3 is amazing! But I had to return them as the left side hurt. Never had it with any other IEM. Something about the shape.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #26,904 of 31,833
I am using JVC Spiral Dots (size ML) and presently using the balanced cable from my Shuoer Tape. As far as music goes, the Open Heart seems to work very well with all genres, Electronic, Classical, Rock and Ambient all sound great!

Yeah, size ML are the best. I have already ordered an Open Heart, and will try it with any M or ML Spiral Dots I have left over. I think I saw something about using a FAAEL cable in another thread.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #26,905 of 31,833
Let us know your thoughts in time.

Personally curious to find out how you think Rosa's bass compares to your TFZs and.....7hz i99 :sunglasses:

Rosa's bass is good, impactful but not painful and quite well texture, I like it but unfortunately I can't say I like the tuning of the upper part of the spectrum, it works OK on some but overall it's quite bad I think. If you're looking for an upgrade with similar bass forget TFZ IMHO and while the i99 is overall a much better earphone its bass is not necessarily better, it's certainly different, significantly warmer and somewhat bleeding on itself, not in a bad way however, but making it more mellow.

Perhaps you should get interested in the Hiby Seeds II instead of the above ones. :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #26,906 of 31,833
Rosa's bass is good, impactful but not painful and quite well texture, I like it but unfortunately I can't say I like the tuning of the upper part of the spectrum, it works OK on some but overall it's quite bad I think. If you're looking for an upgrade with similar bass forget TFZ IMHO and while the i99 is overall a much better earphone its bass is not necessarily better, it's certainly different, significantly warmer and somewhat bleeding on itself, not in a bad way however, but making it more mellow.

Perhaps you should get interested in the Hiby Seeds II instead of the above ones. :)
Bass on Seeds II that good? How about other frequencies?

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #26,907 of 31,833
Bass on Seeds II that good? How about other frequencies?

Yes, I think the bass is excellent on the Seeds II. It's a rather strongly v-shaped IEM with more or less the same amplitude as the i99 but the bass is leaner, it's not as warm and thick and the upper frequencies peaks are a bit different. It can get a bit hot/fatiguing depending on genres, tracks and volume. Some graphs for comparison:

Rosa.png

7Hz i99.png

Hiby Seeds II.png

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #26,908 of 31,833
Oh well, I can’t expect much for a $12 earphone. It’s still a good value.
I buy $10 earphones from my country of Canada all the time, and they are (Edit: usually) always better then KZ. (I used to own 15 pairs.)

My latest $10 iem is a JVC: https://www.us.jvc.com/headphones/earbuds/ha_fx7/

Edit: The FX7 sounds gnarly with metal and I don't listen to that type of music, but it makes me want to. The vocals are distant (V-Shaped) and this isn't a good daily driver.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #26,909 of 31,833
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #26,910 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back