CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #19,891 of 31,833
But isn't the cable useless? I see reviews that say you MUST replace the cable and very likely the ear tips...
The Blon BL-03 is a steal at $30, generally fits well in ears, has good sound, and punches way above its weight. The ATE and MH755 are classics, you’ve done well your first two buys. Everything else will be incremental increases from here on out. Welcome!

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #19,892 of 31,833
But isn't the cable useless? I see reviews that say you MUST replace the cable and very likely the ear tips...

This hobby allows for customization of modular components to create a perfect experience for each individual. It’s odd that people give the BLONs the bad rap of being worthless dumpster fires without modding, and then cheerfully change everything about say the T800s while singing its praises. The question then is how much purchasing and time will be necessary to find your sweet spot on any given earphone. Few are perfect right out of the box, because makers usually spend time on the tech, not the tether.

Example: The MH755 cable is literally useless. Last night I learned to solder.

The BL-03 cable is useful, though less than ideal. For 8 bucks more and your favorite tips, you just got an IEM worth many times the cost. Do you have to? No, though reasonable minds can disagree.

I always swap out tips. Some never do and love stock. Find your go to tip then throw it on everything, or most things.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good... the quest for perfection will send you down the rabbit hole many of us have enjoyed falling into.

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #19,894 of 31,833
He mentioned hard to fit ears, T2 is not the easiest fitting iem and will sound a bit lifeless without a good fit.

As per every other IEM, ever. I love the sound of the Semkarch but it hurts my ears after an hour because of fit. Seals fine but the physical fit hurts me. Yet I have no discomfort at all with the ZS10, an IEM designed by somebody who has never seen an ear.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #19,895 of 31,833
I dipped my toe in the water of chi-fi budget earphones a few days ago, with a pair of KZ ATE's. I think they're pretty amazing for the price, but they're not quite ideal and I'm looking for some guidance on what to go for to improve on these (I note that nobody on this thread talks about the KZ ATE's any more, so I presume they have been effectively superseded). I listen more to classical music than anything else, and where I'm looking for the biggest improvements is in full orchestral sound. What I'm looking for particularly is tonal accuracy (so strings sound right, for example); a lack of shrillness or congestion when the full orchestra is playing; and spaciousness, airiness, so I get a feel of the concert hall, and what I presume people refer to as soundstage, an ability to 'see' the orchestra laid out in front of me.

I will be mainly using my LG G5 smartphone as a source, either standalone or with the B&O Hi-Fi DAC which can be fitted (which is built from a Sabre ES9028C2M digital to analogue converter and a Sabre 9602c headphone amplifier).

I'm hoping there's some dirt-cheap Chinese IEMs out there which will nicely fit the bill. From reviews elsewhere and from combing through this thread, I'm leaning towards maybe the Tin Audio T2, AudioSense T180, Blon BL-03 or Semkarch CNT1. Don't know how well any of these would match my requirements. Any recommendations would be most welcome, or indeed general guidance as to what qualities I should be looking for. (Oh, and because they were $6 or so, I've already ordered a pair of Sony MH755s to try out).
You are not alone with ATE liking - I still have 5 of them to share and use :)
But I have moved on towards more neutral/balanced signature than ATE but still keep it near-harman target.
I also would recommend toneking ninetail but I would also suggest try out KPE (discontinued but still on stock at some places) or KXXS.
Also, depending how much money you are willing to spend... maybe try out BL-03 and VE B1E both? Just to get more idea what you like.
Personally I would buy 2-3 highly recommended budget IEMs before jumping over 100$ price bracket.

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #19,896 of 31,833

The cable isn't completely useless at all. It works fine but depending on your fit to your ears (how it seats in your ear), the angled adapter where it attaches to the shell may get in the way or cause them to pop out of your ear prematurely. Some people have had issues. Others haven't.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #19,897 of 31,833
The cable isn't completely useless at all. It works fine but depending on your fit to your ears (how it seats in your ear), the angled adapter where it attaches to the shell may get in the way or cause them to pop out of your ear prematurely. Some people have had issues. Others haven't.

Just seemed to be consistent across a few reviews.. I am looking to maybe purchase a set to compare with my T2 when I'm in need for some added bass, I'd likely still change the cable personally just for the asthetics

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #19,898 of 31,833
This hobby allows for customization of modular components to create a perfect experience for each individual. It’s odd that people give the BLONs the bad rap of being worthless dumpster fires without modding, and then cheerfully change everything about say the T800s while singing its praises. The question then is how much purchasing and time will be necessary to find your sweet spot on any given earphone. Few are perfect right out of the box, because makers usually spend time on the tech, not the tether.

Example: The MH755 cable is literally useless. Last night I learned to solder.

The BL-03 cable is useful, though less than ideal. For 8 bucks more and your favorite tips, you just got an IEM worth many times the cost. Do you have to? No, though reasonable minds can disagree.

I always swap out tips. Some never do and love stock. Find your go to tip then throw it on everything, or most things.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good... the quest for perfection will send you down the rabbit hole many of us have enjoyed falling into.

I'm tempted to buy the Sony's with the intention to recable them. Was it difficult?

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #19,899 of 31,833
Just seemed to be consistent across a few reviews.. I am looking to maybe purchase a set to compare with my T2 when I'm in need for some added bass, I'd likely still change the cable personally just for the asthetics

I changed the cable on my Blon BL-03 too, but then again, I change the cable for almost all my IEMs. I did try out the stock cable and it was okay.

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #19,900 of 31,833
I do think that the blon is a bit excessive in the bass department for orchestral music and larger string instruments, but we have agreed to disagree on that some days ago.
I don’t agree. There seems to be some strange misperception that classical music requires a non bassy producing Iem. Whenever I’ve been to a classical concert (quite a bit) the strings, horns and brass have been deep and powerful. You need an iem that’s flexible and can reproduce strings faithfully and with correct timbre. Blon BL03 can do that. And does it well. I’m not saying it’s perfect (it’s a £25 iem) but it’s probably better than I remember T2 being. Which to me is a little on the thinner, tinklier side...and more treble based.

To get better air and space, which was mentioned, you might have to spend upwards of £50 more on a higher tiered iem. Not that Blon doesn’t have that. It does and it’s very decent, but to pay for better air and space, you need to pay bigger bucks in general and get pickier. In my experience.

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #19,901 of 31,833
I check some online store in my country. Blon BL03 is $28. BQEYZ KB100 is $38.
Is $10 more on KB100 really worth?

Or.. Just save for straight to something like BQEYZ Spring 1.. ? Or is there still something that Blon can do that even Spring won't be able to do it?

Just to give a perspective where I'm coming from... When I was young I used to love the sound of Tannoy Mercury M1 (or 2? I forgot) speaker. There's something magical on it handling voices. But then I saved for few years and get Dynaudio Audience 40; which is technically much better than the Tannoy. But somewhow, after changing with few different amps and sources, I never been able to get the Mercury voices. So technically better might not always be better on everything...

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #19,902 of 31,833
I check some online store in my country. Blon BL03 is $28. BQEYZ KB100 is $38.
Is $10 more on KB100 really worth?

Or.. Just save for straight to something like BQEYZ Spring 1.. ? Or is there still something that Blon can do that even Spring won't be able to do it?

Just to give a perspective where I'm coming from... When I was young I used to love the sound of Tannoy Mercury M1 (or 2? I forgot) speaker. There's something magical on it handling voices. But then I saved for few years and get Dynaudio Audience 40; which is technically much better than the Tannoy. But somewhow, after changing with few different amps and sources, I never been able to get the Mercury voices. So technically better might not always be better on everything...
Well,
There’s the thing, see. Who knows. I think the answer’s 42.
:wink:

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #19,904 of 31,833
Is the $10 extra enough to buy a pangalactic gargleblaster?

Seriously though, that tonality makes such a subjective difference. And it's what makes both pairs of Blons that I own sit right at the top of the pile of my favourites. I know I own "better" IEMS, and Lord knows how much "better" my hi fi setup is. But they just sound soooo good. Blon Vs multi BA hybrid setup is like vinyl Vs cd

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #19,905 of 31,833
Now thinking of going for the Blon BL-03, having read various reviews as well as the mentions here in the last couple of pages. The only thing which concerns me is that the nozzles are reputedly short, which could be a problem for me unless I can get the right tips to deal with the situation. I had problems with the Akamates ANC earphones I mentioned not being able to get a seal, and actually falling out of my ears, and the nozzles look quite short on them. I now use a pair of wide Inairs foam tips, which work well enough. I'm not sure quite what the problem is with the shape of my ear canals - are they wide, or do I just need long tips to make sure the seal is deep enough? Anyway, I would hope that I could resolve this problem, if indeed it is a problem, with the right tips for the Blons. Would people recommend the much-mentioned Starline tips for them (in which case, has anyone got an Aliexpress link for them, as 'Starline' doesn't seem to be mentioned)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back