CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #13,907 of 31,833
Thanks .. but that's a bit the problem. I perfectly understand that a properly made thing, balanced, tune whatever is more pricey. But how do you spot that difference when you're in the market to buy one? So yes ... I can do nothing but read reviews. But they, too, mean nothing .. because what's good to person A is crap to person B .. depending on where they come from, taste etc .... I mean even intra comparisons of the same review across the years are difficult to understand ... is a thing made 10 years ago with a rating of 9 of 10 better than a current make with 7 of 10? Or are even two of the same year comparable? Is a 7/10 high end one better than a 10/10 cheap one? It's so very, very confusing .... :p

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #13,908 of 31,833
Thanks .. but that's a bit the problem. I perfectly udnerstand that a properly made thing, balanced, tune whatever is more pricey. But how do you spot that difference when you're in the market to buy one? So yes ... I can do nothing but read reviews. But they, too, mean nothing .. because what's good to person A is crap to person B .. depending on where they come from, taste etc .... I mean even intra comparisons of the same review across the years are difficult tu udnerstand ... is a thing made 10 years ago with a rating of 9 of 10 better than a current make with 7 of 10? Or are even two of the same year comparable? Is a 7/10 high end one better than a 10/10 cheap one? It's so very, very confusing .... :p

A good starting point is to buy something that a lot of people have and like, and which a lot of people have reviewed. That provides a good basis of comparison when reading other reviews or when asking folks about stuff they've tried.

Preference varies widely, as does individual ear anatomy etc., so when relying on reviews, you want to pay attention not just to whether folks like something but why they like it, (or dislike it), etc.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #13,909 of 31,833
Now that Otto and I have both listened to the EZAudio D4 and proved the one I got is not a fluke or one off, I think they deserve a very solid spot on this list. At $12 they are insanely good and 11.11 has them going on sale for $8. No way this earphone should be sub-$50 from a sound quality viewpoint and it easily competes with several I've paid $100 for. Clarity is phenomenal. Instrument separation and imaging are just nuts for a $10 in-ear. I am going to order a bunch of these for gifts and may just bite the bullet and buy them for $12 each and see if I can get them here in time for Christmas.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #13,910 of 31,833
Now that Otto and I have both listened to the EZAudio D4 and proved the one I got is not a fluke or one off, I think they deserve a very solid spot on this list. At $12 they are insanely good and 11.11 has them going on sale for $8. No way this earphone should be sub-$50 from a sound quality viewpoint and it easily competes with several I've paid $100 for. Clarity is phenomenal. Instrument separation and imaging are just nuts for a $10 in-ear. I am going to order a bunch of these for gifts and may just bite the bullet and buy them for $12 each and see if I can get them here in time for Christmas.
Do you know anything about the X12 model? And it seems to me that EZAudio and HZSound belong to the same owner

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #13,911 of 31,833

Speaking of VFM buys, I received the QKZ DM300 today. They are not a new find, and have been reviewed before. I got them for around 6USD and I have the same things to say as you do about the D4s. Amazing clarity and imaging.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #13,912 of 31,833
Do you know anything about the X12 model? And it seems to me that EZAudio and HZSound belong to the same owner

I don't know anything about the x12. I'll ask Jim at NiceHCK if they have it.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #13,913 of 31,833
Speaking of VFM buys, I received the QKZ DM300 today. They are not a new find, and have been reviewed before. I got them for around 6USD and I have the same things to say as you do about the D4s. Amazing clarity and imaging.

I've had the QKZ DM300 before and while better than expected, I don't think it is anywhere close to the D4 in overall clarity.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #13,914 of 31,833
Thanks .. but that's a bit the problem. I perfectly understand that a properly made thing, balanced, tune whatever is more pricey. But how do you spot that difference when you're in the market to buy one? So yes ... I can do nothing but read reviews. But they, too, mean nothing .. because what's good to person A is crap to person B .. depending on where they come from, taste etc .... I mean even intra comparisons of the same review across the years are difficult to understand ... is a thing made 10 years ago with a rating of 9 of 10 better than a current make with 7 of 10? Or are even two of the same year comparable? Is a 7/10 high end one better than a 10/10 cheap one? It's so very, very confusing .... :p
I think I was in a similar situation you are now and you are right: You can do nothing but read reviews, unless you actually try the IEMs.

The IEMs in this thread are great in the regard that they are cheap and good, so since I could afford it, from time to time I tried one of the "hot ones" and checked my preferences, though my aim was going for a more expensive one as my actual goal here was testing if chi-fi could actually deliver before moving to more expensive items (Spoiler: Yes, chi-fi delivers). So I bought like 4 IEMs and they all were good and I didn't feel like I wasted my money on something unworthy even if I didn't like it.

So for what it is worth, my greatest hit and my greatest miss were two IEMs, one was one of the banned ones, the other one the highly regarded TRN V80. The banned ones are great, suit my music and taste, I like them more than my previous 70€ well known earphones and they were like 40 euros. Yet the TRN V80 sounded very good the price and were very comfortable, but just not for me as I found the treble to sound like "artificial", "mechanic". If you look at reviews from both items, you are bound to see comparison between them, adding the TinAudio T2 in there along the BQEYZ, so how come two of the top IEMs as per the reviews gave me such differentiated opinions? Because the reviews are just another guy's view, as you say. Still, the experience was great, gave me new light comparing two products of similar price side by side and hey, it was fun! If you can do the same, I encourage you to go for it.

Regarding the 7/10 on an expensive IEM being a superior product than a 10/10 cheap one or a 10/10 old one worse than a 7/10 new one, that is a topic that is interesting and applicable beyond audio reviews. For me, I rather know the reviewer (as in his previous reviews and his considerations). For example, the one from youtube "Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews" makes (or used to make as he seems to only unbox these days) very clear comments on how something is great for the price and how something expensive is just way above though implying a way lower price/quality ratio. As well, knowing the reviewer may give you more data on how to take his words if you own any of the products he reviewed and you compare your thoughts to his/her, then apply that comparison on the rest.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #13,915 of 31,833
What are some good IEM’s under $50 that fit like the KZ ZS3(or any over ear style like that) and are great for classic rock, hard rock, and metal? I’m just looking for something that gives a good kick drum punch, a nice snare drum attack, and a quality midrange for the guitars. I don’t get much of the punch and attack from the ZS3, even though I’ve done the foam mod and removed the grill cover.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #13,916 of 31,833
Hi everyone, anyone has views to share on the Tenhz P4 Pro? Currently on Massdrop for 80USD. I was thinking about T2 Pro but these aren't that much more expensive.

I enjoy both neutral and v-shape earphones, what matters to me is frequency extension and tonal accuracy (e.g. violins sound like violins) because I listen to anything from EDM to classical orchestral works to vocals. Past IEMs I've liked include the B100, B400 (if it had a bit more extended treble), KZ ZS3/ATR/ED16 aka ZS7, IT01, ATH-E40, Mee Pinnacle PX/P1 and for headphones, HD600/HD650/DT880.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #13,917 of 31,833
I just returned from Taiwan where in an ordinary consumer electronic store I purchased intopic jazz i 92. I have put foam tips on to tone them down.With these tips for around US 20 they are fantastic. Just for reference I have Westone 4 , 1More, Macaw gt600.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #13,918 of 31,833
What are some good IEM’s under $50 that fit like the KZ ZS3(or any over ear style like that) and are great for classic rock, hard rock, and metal? I’m just looking for something that gives a good kick drum punch, a nice snare drum attack, and a quality midrange for the guitars. I don’t get much of the punch and attack from the ZS3, even though I’ve done the foam mod and removed the grill cover.

Try the new ZS4, mids and treble are much more pronounced as I've heard.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #13,920 of 31,833
I really like my **** 4in1 but find them lacking in clarity and timbre.
Looking at running them with a BTR3.
Seems like a problem rather with Your source gear than 4in1. 4in1 has pretty great clarity and treble (even too harsh when used with low-impedance cable).
Maybe You need something with little boosted treble to sound ok with Your gear?
To me though, 4in1 sounded just a littlebit "boring/dry", otherwise very good chi-fi IEM (especially for the price and with high-impedance cable).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back