CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #13,876 of 31,834
Hey does anyone know where I can get something like this but cheaper (maybe un-branded?). It looks similar to the cheap KZ black case but I like that this one is clear so I can see inside

These cases are fully lined with foam, right? So if it's clear, you can see inside but all you see is the top foam lining.

Here's a nice case that's under $5 and plenty roomy for even the biggest IEMs (inside dimensions are 6.25" x 3.25" x 1.5"): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00469G31G

You can also get the real deal Pelican for $12: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CCZF6E

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #13,877 of 31,834
These cases are fully lined with foam, right? So if it's clear, you can see inside but all you see is the top foam lining.

Here's a nice case that's under $5 and plenty roomy for even the biggest IEMs (inside dimensions are 6.25" x 3.25" x 1.5"): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00469G31G

You can also get the real deal Pelican for $12: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CCZF6E
Unfortunately Amazon no longer let's Australia buy from their website. Our government introduced a 10% tax on all overseas purchases so Amazon didn't want to collect and pass on the tax so now we have to use their extremely limited Amazon Australia site :frowning2:

From this other picture it seems as if the top doesn't have the foam so it should be see through..
Screenshot_20181031-124248.jpg

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #13,880 of 31,834
BGVP branded case is cheaper btw
viYY1Xnd5tXBroVryKum_mYBugh6GYmZsmoe9FzR_7FNSs9waxW2LoLnv-waLTAy0nA5PA8NxLlIB20eWQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

or these, kz resin but clear white
just remove the foam for true transparent looks
X-MDYoFsAHWHwK8nQtuzK-JDpNYn6dRY8Vcz1xLmfDY-2dSOCypRx3-46UoWPGysZc_lVy9tSwqA1BUT8A=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

K-WW72gMce4iRxo95yd4cJeT5lwWAQSckM0Fpgh_rKSAJaDRHq3LfwOq3LRJ9eLgq_GYX2c7ZvMmH1KGiQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

My beef with the KZ case is it’s size. I can barely fit IEMs in them. They should have made them 50%-100% bigger.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #13,881 of 31,834
Got my review of the NiceHCK EzAudio D4 done today. The D4 is way better than it deserves to be for the price and at $8 on 11.11 deserves to be in a lot of baskets. I'll likely grab 3 or 4 for gifting.

http://audiofool.reviews/2018/10/31/ez-audio-d4/

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #13,882 of 31,834
Hm .. I'm so tempted but the thread has me more confused than enlighted .. :) I listen to nearly anything, from trance to game/movie tracks to celtic folk to rock and opera metal to classics and I like a bit of an "energetic" sound. I also like buying something that is not a lottery to an extreme (i.e. models with known very bad quality control etc) ... but I could use a few good sounding cheap in ears to use at work etc (where across the laptop, I have come to even like bluetooth extenders, sicne you can walk around your laptop/table). Is it possible to suggest something among the Chinas for that use?

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #13,885 of 31,834
For risky purchases like these in unknown and inconsistent Chinese waters? I'd say I won't go above 100 USD.
Next 4 questions:
1) what is Your source gear (to know amping and impedance-match needs)?
2) what file quality You mainly listen to (good IEM can`t really "shine" up to its potential when using lossy low-quality files)?
3) how You like to wear Your IEM (cable) - over the ear or straight down?
4) do You need often to remove and put back on Your IEM (to know if foam tips are ok or not, it affects SQ)?

If You want to have safe buy, then penonaudio is one great place to order chi-fi from.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #13,886 of 31,834
Next 4 questions:
1) what is Your source gear (to know amping and impedance-match needs)?
2) what file quality You mainly listen to (good IEM can`t really "shine" up to its potential when using lossy low-quality files)?
3) how You like to wear Your IEM (cable) - over the ear or straight down?
4) do You need often to remove and put back on Your IEM (to know if foam tips are ok or not, it affects SQ)?

If You want to have safe buy, then penonaudio is one great place to order chi-fi from.

1. It'll have to work with ordinary weaker source, that is to say stuff like my Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone, or my not too powerful tiny StarTech USB 96kHz DAC, or the Laptops Audio out ..... or if I can get that, a good BT extender (to eventually work cableless). I'm not an extreme audiophile ... but I do like clean, nonmushy bass and clean, non chirpy/shattery highs etc .. i.e. the usual things nobody really wants. Of course I get that "taste" is very difficult to cater for, but see it more like a general quality request for a thing that works with those not necessarily very audiophile sources. I also do have an older iBasso D10 amp and some Fiio X5 or soemthign Audioplayer somewhere, which sound pretty neat.

2. A lot ... from Youtube across thing slike 320 or VBR mp3s to FLACs. But I'm not the audiophile that considers anything but FLAC good .. I'm quite happy with less. I like vivid, energetic sounding headphones, but without too much crazy (which would get on my nerves after a while).

3. I normally have them straight down. Is over ear annoying a lot of people? It's just not something I used so far.

4. Yes they go in and out quite often ... I like my comply replacement tips the most ... the always fit really well in my ear, while rubber, plasticy "mushroom" shapes tend to be uncomfortable for me .. or simply fall out, even if I tried various sizes.

Addendum: I currently have two inears I use(d) .. the Optoma NuForce BE Sport3, which is my go to bluetooth inear which to me sounds quite nice with comply tips, and an Entymotic HF5, which sounds a bit flatter, but which I had bought because people raved about how isolating they are .. and they are nearly nice with that .. but they have a downside to me: their filters clog up extremely fast .. I dunno why, I have no issues with any other inear. The clogged up one becomes totally silent then.

Does that help?

BTW thanks very much for looking into my request, I know how irritating "what's the best xxx" requests are :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #13,887 of 31,834
My beef with the KZ case is it’s size. I can barely fit IEMs in them. They should have made them 50%-100% bigger.
I have the same issue with them. I bought 3 of them, but only end up using the one because most of my cables and iem's won't fit.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #13,888 of 31,834
I have the same issue with them. I bought 3 of them, but only end up using the one because most of my cables and iem's won't fit.

They are nice to look at though.

Maybe store your wallet and cash in it while at the beach.

I thought about removing the foam lining. But then you lose the protection the lining provides!

All they needed to do was remake the older black plastic KZ case (dimensions), except make it out of the thicker Pelican style plastic/latch that the new KZ case uses. Then it would have been perfect.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #13,889 of 31,834
They are nice to look at though.

Maybe store your wallet and cash in it while at the beach.

I thought about removing the foam lining. But then you lose the protection the lining provides!

All they needed to do was remake the older black plastic KZ case (dimensions), except make it out of the thicker Pelican style plastic/latch that the new KZ case uses. Then it would have been perfect.
Oh man, that really would be the perfect combination for sure! I still use the old KZ hard case just for it's size, but it's definitely cheaper and poorly constructed compared to the new cases.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #13,890 of 31,834
After mainly using KZ ZSE, the GGMM C800 (gold color) feels like changing shades to prescription glasses for nearsightedness. The clarity is amazing, but I can't listen to them for long because of the brightness. I think my brain will adjust to this in time and I will enjoy them even more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back