CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #13,861 of 31,834
I wish someone would try those, so we know if they’re good or not.

OperaFactory OM1 - Full review: https://david-hahn.wixsite.com/chi-fiear/Hersteller/OPERAFACTORY/OM1

>> The OM1 delights us with a warm V-signature, which is nothing special in itself, because it has been heard a thousand times, or something similar, but that doesn't mean that this in-ear makes no fun. You also have to get a good V-signature first.

The bass, however, is a bit too emphasized for my taste. It dominates the whole sound a bit too much. At the same time it is very detailed and high-resolution in the low range. In the mid-bass it tends to be exhausting and attacks the mid-range. Nevertheless it can give a drum kit or bass riffs a real impact and thus give any kind of rock music, or metal draught, liveliness and simply bums. I would dam the higher bass range a bit to give the midrange more space.

These are taken back like signature and are honestly not the hobbyhorse of the OM1, at least with the bass. Guitars sound wonderfully full and dynamic, but unfortunately the voices don't come across when it gets more complex. I would have liked a bit more energy in the higher mids in order to bring the voices forward again and make the guitars crunchier. But this can be easily adjusted with an equalizer. You also have to mention that the OM1 tries to cover the whole frequency spectrum with a dynamic driver. However, this can be done better.

The highs are very relaxed and without significant peaks. They try to oppose the bass just like the mids, which they do a bit better and they can shine more.
Details can be identified and the separation also works, but is mediocre at best. In addition the stage is rather intimate.
Basically, the signature can also be described as L-shaped. <<

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #13,862 of 31,834
OperaFactory OM1 - Full review: https://david-hahn.wixsite.com/chi-fiear/Hersteller/OPERAFACTORY/OM1

>> The OM1 delights us with a warm V-signature, which is nothing special in itself, because it has been heard a thousand times, or something similar, but that doesn't mean that this in-ear makes no fun. You also have to get a good V-signature first.

The bass, however, is a bit too emphasized for my taste. It dominates the whole sound a bit too much. At the same time it is very detailed and high-resolution in the low range. In the mid-bass it tends to be exhausting and attacks the mid-range. Nevertheless it can give a drum kit or bass riffs a real impact and thus give any kind of rock music, or metal draught, liveliness and simply bums. I would dam the higher bass range a bit to give the midrange more space.

These are taken back like signature and are honestly not the hobbyhorse of the OM1, at least with the bass. Guitars sound wonderfully full and dynamic, but unfortunately the voices don't come across when it gets more complex. I would have liked a bit more energy in the higher mids in order to bring the voices forward again and make the guitars crunchier. But this can be easily adjusted with an equalizer. You also have to mention that the OM1 tries to cover the whole frequency spectrum with a dynamic driver. However, this can be done better.

The highs are very relaxed and without significant peaks. They try to oppose the bass just like the mids, which they do a bit better and they can shine more.
Details can be identified and the separation also works, but is mediocre at best. In addition the stage is rather intimate.
Basically, the signature can also be described as L-shaped. <<

I've got the OM1 coming as well. Hope to have a review up in early November.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #13,863 of 31,834
Got my C800 finally. It didn't take long for me to reach the verdict. Drum roll please... this thing is holy cow awesome! :-D Absolutely love it.
Clarity is the C800's game. I like the treble here the best out of everything I've heard so far. So clean, transparent, with just right intensity/volume. I can listen to this treble all day. Hifi Walker A7 has very detailed trebled, but a bit too strong. Audimi Y02/TRN V20 - the BA driver is grainy up top, I'm always aware of their presence. C800 is perfect with classical strings. Cafe Zimmermann's Vivaldi album sounds awesome. Large, airy, and full of texture.
I'd like a bit more bass, but it's not lacking by any means. Overall a great find. Thanks @BrunoC for the rec!

I'm glad you like the C800.

I have an update, not a good one I'm affraid, I just received a second C800 for backup purposes. The black one. The sound is not as good as the other one I've got, the silver one.
This one has less bass and harsh highs. The clarity is not as good. No it's not a burn-in issue as the first one sounded excellent ou-of-the-box.

Bottow line: The quality control is not perfect and I received a bad C800, which may explain the recent "not that good" impressions from some headfiers.

@GrassFed I bet you've got a perfect unit :) enjoy it! It's excellent no doubt. I'm listening to it right now.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #13,864 of 31,834
So just got these BK50 knock offs for £15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GT4W6SV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll put some pics up later but they're basically the BK50... but with cheaper, lazier build... and with sound that grates your ears with sibilance. Sound wise they share 'some' characteristics at times, but these haven't got that clean, open sound that the BK50 has. I'd tell people to stay away. Not the same.

They'll be going back. If anything cos they look like they're about to come apart even OOTB lol

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #13,865 of 31,834
So just got these BK50 knock offs for £15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GT4W6SV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll put some pics up later but they're basically the BK50... but with cheaper, lazier build... and with sound that grates your ears with sibilance. Sound wise they share 'some' characteristics at times, but these haven't got that clean, open sound that the BK50 has. I'd tell people to stay away. Not the same.

They'll be going back. If anything cos they look like they're about to come apart even OOTB lol

Yeah, I rarely send anything back but sometimes you really have to. I will not keep something that sounds horrible.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #13,866 of 31,834
I'm glad you like the C800.

I have an update, not a good one I'm affraid, I just received a second C800 for backup purposes. The black one. The sound is not as good as the other one I've got, the silver one.
This one has less bass and harsh highs. The clarity is not as good. No it's not a burn-in issue as the first one sounded excellent ou-of-the-box.

Bottow line: The quality control is not perfect and I received a bad C800, which may explain the recent "not that good" impressions from some headfiers.

@GrassFed I bet you've got a perfect unit :) enjoy it! It's excellent no doubt. I'm listening to it right now.

That’s how the Betron BS10 were. Some were great, some not so great. I have one of each. Not worth the 50/50 risk of getting a turd sandwich.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #13,867 of 31,834
That’s how the Betron BS10 were. Some were great, some not so great. I have one of each. Not worth the 50/50 risk of getting a turd sandwich.

Unless you can easily return it ...as you can with Amazon.

Luckily my GGMM C800 (black/red) is good.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #13,868 of 31,834
Unless you can easily return it ...as you can with Amazon.

Luckily my GGMM C800 (black/red) is good.

Nah, way past the return window on the Betrons.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #13,869 of 31,834
I'am experiencing Soundmagic E80's for long time on a portable base with Clip+. Only feel a little boominess at subs sometimes. I'm a musician and generally chasing the naturality and accurateness. Generally I listen traditional ethnic world and metal music. I can advice this little guys to anybody searching cheapy options for sound, durability, isolation and comfort.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #13,870 of 31,834
Nah, way past the return window on the Betrons.

I meant it could still be worth the gamble as long as you get it from Amazon and return it if it is bad...but only if it is bad.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #13,871 of 31,834
Oct 30, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #13,872 of 31,834
I'm quite sensitive to 8K+ range, so that might explain my impression of V20 being grainy at top end. But it's a minor thing compared to its very sweet voice overall. V20 is probably my favorite when it comes to jazz vocal.

Since there was recent interest in the GGMM C800, I picked up a pair of black/red. Not bad, a little light on the tippy top but otherwise it is a surprising. It is not a bassy IEM. Here is a measurement for those interested. I recently figured out some of my earlier measurements I have posted throughout some threads were bad (some kind of SRS processing was turned on giving everything a V-shape :frowning2: ) so I have gone back and re-measured all my IEM's and tried to stick close to the IEC711 volume in my coupler this time.

First is the GGMM C800, next is the GGMM vs the TRN V20 since there was some comparison questions.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #13,873 of 31,834
I guess same thing happens to the Geek wold GK3. The one I got was so bad I couldn't imagine how anyone like it :)
At the moment I'm enjoying this little unknown Onhi Yeel 3 I got on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-ONHI-YEEL-Microphone-Cancelling/dp/B075RXTYJ5. Great vocal and huge bass :)

They had QC issues with the first batch but subsequent ones were fixed. That said, you still weren't missing out. Even a good one is still pretty meh. Too bad, because they look great and are really comfortable.

If you want to try another triple dynamic in the same price range that's actually good, the horrendously named bboooll BOT1 is worth checking out. @crabdog wrote a good review of it here: https://primeaudio.org/bot1-earphone-review/

Edit: That Onhi looks neat.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #13,874 of 31,834
Ah, that helps make sense of my BS10 experience. Mine was so bad, I couldn't fathom how people were recommending it even at the low price, but the story is all coming together now.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #13,875 of 31,834
Screenshot_20181031-115201.jpg
Hey does anyone know where I can get something like this but cheaper (maybe un-branded?). It looks similar to the cheap KZ black case but I like that this one is clear so I can see inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back