CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #6,481 of 31,833
I had a private conversation yesterday about the cheap, old fashioned KZ earphones (as described by B9Scrambler in beautiful detail). Had to learn that the HDS3 are disappearing following the HDS1, whereas the EDR2 are still available.

Today I would like to make my pitch for the EDR1. Their sound is very close to the EDR2 (you don't really need them if you own the EDR2...but a collector like me does), however they are much nicer in appearance: dark metal, slightly heavier and more substantial in your hands, but not too heavy in your ear.

Greatly overlooked and at $5-6 a no brainer. I compared them to the $120 Sennheiser in-ear Momentum and was blown away. The EDR1 handled Police's Roxanne well (good dynamics, good oomph in the bass, Sting's voice came out great) as well as an octet by Spohr (great layering and separation between the wind instruments). They were simply a pleasure to listen to. Nothing harsh, nothing piercing. A very solid sound from a very solid "neo Maoist" design. Comparison with the EDR2: difference in nuances only...the EDR1 may have slightly more depth.

What I also like about them, compared to the more modern KZ earphones, is that they don't have two, three, or four drivers (and the complications that come with them such as the pricing treble in the ZS6). No, they have one driver :).

Can't name any sellers but the cheapest place is on that contains the word "gear" in its name...without microphone only. Found them with mic on eBay.

Grab them before they are gone.

KZ-EDR1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #6,482 of 31,833
Unfortunately I dislike foam eartips very much and I don't need more bass. But as you're so convinced I'll give them a try with foams. Maybe I'll become even more a fan.

This Tesla-driver technology is quite impressive and convinces me again and again that good old dynamic drivers are the way to go if you want musicality above technicality.

sorry I make a typing BIG mistake. Its LESS bass, but more tigh and punchy too. I don't like memory foam must of the time, its the second IEM with PMV MK2 that I feel obligate to use it with. Anyway, with electro and head shaking musis I use silicone one. Just sayin, 2 very different soundsignature can be achieve with Z5000, and the less bassy one is very eye opening about immense potential of these marvelous beast.

Yeah, why don't they use tesla tech in other 40-100$ chifi iem???

Now I work so hard the seller about wanting more factual info from Zhiyin company that perhaps I will get answer....but seller hes kind of clueless. Will like to see a specs graph as well. And know more about second version, wich make me nervous, hope it will not change soundsignature too much. Not sure if the second pair I order will be new version. will confirm this later.

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #6,483 of 31,833
sorry I make a typing BIG mistake. Its LESS bass, but more tigh and punchy too. I don't like memory foam must of the time, its the second IEM with PMV MK2 that I feel obligate to use it with. Anyway, with electro and head shaking musis I use silicone one. Just sayin, 2 very different soundsignature can be achieve with Z5000, and the less bassy one is very eye opening about immense potential of these marvelous beast.

Yeah, why don't they use tesla tech in other 40-100$ chifi iem???

Now I work so hard the seller about wanting more factual info from Zhiyin company that perhaps I will get answer....but seller hes kind of clueless. Will like to see a specs graph as well. And know more about second version, wich make me nervous, hope it will not change soundsignature too much. Not sure if the second pair I order will be new version. will confirm this later.
Have been comparing foam against silicone. I don't like to A/B too much because instead of listening to music you're rather listening to sounds. I'll do more testing later on but I have the impression that although foam is maybe a tad tighter, silicone is more free and effortless. I've been using cheaper foams I bought on Amazon called 'inairs', I will also check with comply if the sound signature changes.

If they release a second version of Z5000, i'll definitely buy it if they use this tesla-technology again. To be continued...

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #6,487 of 31,833
Is there some ASE reviews?
Not that I have seen as they are so new, I have a flu right now so I cannot just yet

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #6,488 of 31,833
nympho, i probably asked you this before (early dementia), but how is the isolation on the z5000?

Isolation is quite great, even more with memory foam as it help blocking noise IMO But even for (slightly) open back Z5000 block noise well if push in the ears enough, the housing is ultra sturdy metal, more heavy than Tinaudio T2 and I was testing to play keyboard at high volume with 8bith noise with both Iem using silicone tips while listening music at low volume and only with Z5000I wasn't ableto hear outside noise, so I can conclude they isolate better. Not sure it isolate better than Tennmak pro, but they sure isolate better than half my IEM.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #6,489 of 31,833
Isolation is quite great, even more with memory foam as it help blocking noise IMO But even for (slightly) open back Z5000 block noise well if push in the ears enough, the housing is ultra sturdy metal, more heavy than Tinaudio T2 and I was testing to play keyboard at high volume with 8bith noise with both Iem using silicone tips while listening music at low volume and only with Z5000I wasn't ableto hear outside noise, so I can conclude they isolate better. Not sure it isolate better than Tennmak pro, but they sure isolate better than half my IEM.
thank you, sir nympho. gonna put the z5000 on my wish list along with the ibasso it01. because, of course, i need more iems.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #6,490 of 31,833
Have been comparing foam against silicone. I don't like to A/B too much because instead of listening to music you're rather listening to sounds. I'll do more testing later on but I have the impression that although foam is maybe a tad tighter, silicone is more free and effortless. I've been using cheaper foams I bought on Amazon called 'inairs', I will also check with comply if the sound signature changes.

If they release a second version of Z5000, i'll definitely buy it if they use this tesla-technology again. To be continued...

Yeah, making A-B comparaison can sure kill musical fun, in begining of my chifi comparaison I barely lost my mind with this, as my ears was becaming severe judge that always underline details in sound rendering, I finally get rid of this, can make appear and disappear the grumpy audiophile judge now hehe Still, I have a kind of soundsignature iem bank in my back mind, so, if a track do sound too sibilant or lack bass with some IEM, audiophile judge came knocking at my door and tell me: bro, trow this one in punishment corner and take this better one for the music you listen right now.

At first, with memory foam I wasn't utterly impress and feel sound was congested, it was my mind that wasn't ready for a different sound presentation, soundstage is perhaps more in your head but gain in deepness IMO Anyway, now I like both soundsignature so its a win-win for me.

By the way, what audio source you use with the Z5000?????

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #6,491 of 31,833
thank you, sir nympho. gonna put the z5000 on my wish list along with the ibasso it01. because, of course, i need more iems.

Oh, the IT01...they make me very envious but I will wait for your comparaison as both use tesla drivers, I feel your the very RIGHT man for that. I think you make very wise choice here.

Have you find a great deal on IT01?
At 50-70 I will have already buy them. At 100....just can't.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #6,492 of 31,833
The only iem that has me reaching for it over Z5000 is the **** ASE
200.gif

Really???????????????????????????
Man. Your a dangerous influence, my mother tell me to keep away from Panda when I was kid, I understand why now!

Look like I will make another impulsive buy like...right-focking-NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how so they are better?? More explaination Panda, please, so I can just wait few hours or days before pressing Buy Buton and feelin very neurotic.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #6,493 of 31,833
Last feedback in the shop for Z5000: "Fast delivery and good build quality, but do not prefer the sound signature and quality. It sound veiled and too dark... not meet my high expectation."
200.gif

Hope this guy that left a feedback have too much cerumen in his ears this day....if the upgrade is to make the sound more veiled, I will go to china, find Zhiyin manager, and slap him in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back