CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #5,446 of 31,849
Hey, all you Canadians,
The NAD headphones and earphones are really cheap these days. Great Canadian brand. I have used my HP 50 all evening and just ordered to HP20 earphones...at CDN $99 a steal. Has anybody reviewed them here?

https://nadelectronics.com/en_CA/product/hp-20/

I don't think there is a review so here is a short one: I have them and I like them, I think they are quite good.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #5,447 of 31,849
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #5,449 of 31,849
The Headrooms, just like the VE Monk Plus, remind me of the album by "People Like Us & Kenny G. - Nothing Special".
Haha....my What face was quite supreme when I go check on youtube People Like us....music! Make me thinks of The Residents ''music'' in a strange way.

Well, I search for SPECIAL. Perhaps you should try more expensive earbuds, like the Toneking or Rose...did you try EMX500? Last cheap try perhaps?
I'm about to finish an overdue review of **** TANK, not bad at all, especially in bass department, construction is top notch too...need more serious construction in chifi buds IMO.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #5,450 of 31,849
well yeah

I have soundcheck 12.0 fullversion with dummy head and good mic.

And for 3.5 way crossover(.5 means the fullranger) i have a buddy who can do this.

Well 4 drivers are from shure 846 And i will make these in same format(low pass woofer etc) then i will use full ranger to complement it.

Then attenuate both.

So i have 846 bass and airy treble from noble audio kaiser encore.

My curiosity alarm scream hard right now. Interesting, it help me to understand sound tuning of BA....real mystery. Must admit if you got a link showing how its done and all....my brain will process this info more clearly. Would be nice if you can PM when you finish this project, so I can see your creation. How much will it cost to construct this IEM (if I may ask)?

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #5,451 of 31,849
Well, I search for SPECIAL
Nothing wrong with the Headrooms and VE Monk Plus. They are good for what they are. But they are <$10 earbuds after all. I took the Soundmagic E10C out for a spin last night, then compared to the KZ HDS3 for $5 (essentially no difference at 1/10 of the price; see Headflux review). I then settled for the KZ HDS1 which are a bit leaner and not that muddy in the bass.

Presently listening to Francois Couperin played by Canadian piano battle horse Angela Hewitt.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5,452 of 31,849
@Nymphonomaniac try the vido mate. Recabling and reterminating makes them a beast! IMG_20171211_230220.jpg

The NiceHCK one is pretty exp imo. I got this for less than 5US$ and ard 40mins of soldering and chilling.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #5,453 of 31,849
I think normal humans will be wowed by the Monk. Headfier are such crybaby sometime, including myself, especially in chifi world hehe, so so so spoiled childs!!!!!!!!!!!! No but seriously, there far from bad, judge by yourself. They need a little amping to shine tough...to expend this soundstage, but level of details you got with this earbuds worth more than 10$ IMO

Not really.. I remember the first time i got into earbuds, my first purchase was the TY HI-Z 32. That one have a "wow" effect the first time i listened, after that i bought the monk, and felt disappointed. To this day, some budget buds that I have tried and I think are great are the TY HI-Z 32, Edifier H185, Vido, RY4S, EMX500, Toneking tp16. Much better than the monk. Heck.. The KZ ATR are much better value than the Monk in my opinion

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #5,454 of 31,849
Not really.. I remember the first time i got into earbuds, my first purchase was the TY HI-Z 32. That one have a "wow" effect the first time i listened, after that i bought the monk, and felt disappointed. To this day, some budget buds that I have tried and I think are great are the TY HI-Z 32, Edifier H185, Vido, RY4S, EMX500, Toneking tp16. Much better than the monk. Heck.. The KZ ATR are much better value than the Monk in my opinion
Can confirm the Hi-Zs are fantastic. Bought the 150 ohm on a whim a month ago and now they're my daily driver.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #5,455 of 31,849

First time I heard the TY H!-Z 32 I was disapointed, feel they sound dry and congested. After I use amping with them, something phenomenal happen: they sound focking goooooood and ultra airy! Thinking about this, I will go search for them right away lol....okay, got them.......so nice with Xduo XD05, really, they are power hungry this 32ohm earbuds!
PC280716.JPG

Vido, hum, will give them second chance, but I think I prefer Monk over them cause I find the Vido a little Dark and sometime bass is out of control. Toneking TP16 wasnt a first time love neither (brigthish), still have them to give them second chance. EMX500 I have 2 pairs=ADORE them. Need to make a little repair so the cable do not cause rattling when bass occur (not the driver fault). I just stay objective, Monk WASN'T a ''love at first sight (listen)'', but I can't say they sound bad, thats all, cause they aren't, there quite agile in imaging and instrument separation (good for classical and jazz). I'm really hardcore demanding with earbuds, when I begin I feel it lack the airy sound it promise and must of time sound too bright and bass anemic, Musicmaker Tomahawk was my first love, but it can have unpleasant peaks in vocal, like, hissing and all, lately, my pair begin to create distortion in one ears so.....yeah, pricier did not mean it will last longer. My next one will be something with a metal housing, if I was rich, I would go for dual driver earbuds, to know if it can have a sub hide in there that will not interfer with vocal.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #5,456 of 31,849
@Nymphonomaniac try the vido mate. Recabling and reterminating makes them a beast!

The NiceHCK one is pretty exp imo. I got this for less than 5US$ and ard 40mins of soldering and chilling.
Got them, but not recabled (strange cheap cable they got for sure!)....hum, but will it help with clarity?

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #5,458 of 31,849
First time I heard the TY H!-Z 32 I was disapointed, feel they sound dry and congested. After I use amping with them, something phenomenal happen: they sound focking goooooood and ultra airy! Thinking about this, I will go search for them right away lol....okay, got them.......so nice with Xduo XD05, really, they are power hungry this 32ohm earbuds!

Vido, hum, will give them second chance, but I think I prefer Monk over them cause I find the Vido a little Dark and sometime bass is out of control. Toneking TP16 wasnt a first time love neither (brigthish), still have them to give them second chance. EMX500 I have 2 pairs=ADORE them. Need to make a little repair so the cable do not cause rattling when bass occur (not the driver fault). I just stay objective, Monk WASN'T a ''love at first sight (listen)'', but I can't say they sound bad, thats all, cause they aren't, there quite agile in imaging and instrument separation (good for classical and jazz). I'm really hardcore demanding with earbuds, when I begin I feel it lack the airy sound it promise and must of time sound too bright and bass anemic, Musicmaker Tomahawk was my first love, but it can have unpleasant peaks in vocal, like, hissing and all, lately, my pair begin to create distortion in one ears so.....yeah, pricier did not mean it will last longer. My next one will be something with a metal housing, if I was rich, I would go for dual driver earbuds, to know if it can have a sub hide in there that will not interfer with vocal.

for the vido, it's best to use the monk thin foams, especially if you said that the bass is too much. it will open up the treble too.

i agree with the ty hiz32. it's one of those earphones that really needs burn in.. it doesn't matter if you don't believe burn in, the Ty Hi Z32 seems like it physically need a few hours of warm up before it's full potential.. maybe it needs to loosen up the membrane or some glue? i don't know..
strangely though, the Ty Hi z32s (the red cable version) doesn't need it. it sounds good from the get go.

@Nymphonomaniac try the vido mate. Recabling and reterminating makes them a beast!

Got them, but not recabled (strange cheap cable they got for sure!)....hum, but will it help with clarity?

i can confirm that. i have three vidos: non mic, mic, and a recabled version. the difference of cable do have effect on them.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #5,460 of 31,849
I think normal humans will be wowed by the Monk.
I used them on the elliptical with the iPad watching a TV program today. Worked fine and they are reasonably comfortable. But "wowed"...not sure. Sounds similar to the Faaeal and the Joyroom EL-117. My old Sennheiser MX-560 are way better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back