CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #12,812 of 31,833
Sort-of On Topic Question -

Have you ever tried Earth Grounding the metal shield part of the USB cable that's connected to your portable DAP / Amp, to see if doing so will stop the audio cable from shocking your ears / head?

For most of my devices that are charged / powered by USB, when I use cables with metal connectors (MMCX) or housings, if I touch things that are grounded with my bare hands or feet (including standing on the tiled floor), I get shocked. This is when using various different brands & types of USB chargers.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #12,813 of 31,833
While they're currently on sale at AliExpress, I ordered a set of the new (w/MMCX) Magaosi BK50. Hopefully, they sound as good as the model with the tethered cable.

Keep us updated :)

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #12,814 of 31,833
Thank you sir! So it sounds like 1More is no longer "The Best Headphones" per Verge? There needs to be a guide somewhere with rankings and sound profiles lol Is there an IEM that is a direct upgrade to the KZ ZSR without sibilant highs and is $200 or below? I'm ready to get out of KZ and Trn territory. Or are we entering substantially less performance per dollar?

The point of diminishing returns is highly subjective. Depends on money, priorities, and sound preferences, among a dozen other things. So, I don't know where that point is for you. Personally, I think the best bang for your buck is right around $200. The B400, P1, King Pro, are around right around that price and they are fantastic. On the other hand, they don't give me the weak-kneed, slack-jawed sense of awe that my 846s do. Is that worth the extra money? Hell, even I don't know.

What I will say is: if you want to break out of the KZ/TRN level, then look into TFZ and Toneking. Both companies have an impeccable lineup. Some are better and some are worse, but in each case they make IEMs that are very competitive at the price and maintain a remarkable level of consistency. You could pick a TFZ or Toneking based solely on price and very likely end up thrilled.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #12,817 of 31,833
Yes i saw that review however it's just one person's view, doesn't mean that another person has the same opinion, i don't know if "bad guy good audio" is to be trusted on his reviews

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #12,818 of 31,833
I'm interested in the BQEYZ BQ3, anyone heard it yet? How does it compare to V80.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #12,819 of 31,833
BGVP DMG 2DD+4BA is a Fiio FH5 killer according to the Bad guy bad audio reviews
Techmanz said they were sibilant and I tend to trust him over Bad Guy on sound frequencies. Bad Guy regularly recommends sibilant earbuds over non sibilant ones. The music he prefers tend to be uncongested and instrumental.

The point of diminishing returns is highly subjective. Depends on money, priorities, and sound preferences, among a dozen other things. So, I don't know where that point is for you. Personally, I think the best bang for your buck is right around $200. The B400, P1, King Pro, are around right around that price and they are fantastic. On the other hand, they don't give me the weak-kneed, slack-jawed sense of awe that my 846s do. Is that worth the extra money? Hell, even I don't know.

What I will say is: if you want to break out of the KZ/TRN level, then look into TFZ and Toneking. Both companies have an impeccable lineup. Some are better and some are worse, but in each case they make IEMs that are very competitive at the price and maintain a remarkable level of consistency. You could pick a TFZ or Toneking based solely on price and very likely end up thrilled.

Thanks so much man! Doesn't hurt that they look gorgeous too. They even look better than top of the line Sennheiser and Sony in ears that go for $300-700. I wonder if they compare tho.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #12,820 of 31,833
Bad Guy is far more thorough and honest. He tells exactly what he likes, goes through the songs he tests with, explains why he chose those songs, so you definitely understand his review. And he is very open that he prefers forward V shaped sound.

I have no idea what is going on with TechManz other than no IEM on the planet fits his ears so he reviews IEMs without ever achieving proper seal. Useless.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #12,821 of 31,833
Just got the Estron C610 which is quite a fun little thing. Bass is a bit loose (tho still has quite good speed) and drums are pretty snappy and electric guitars have nice crunch. Soundstage isn't the widest as everything is pretty central, but what it lacks in width it has in depth.

Hmm, reminds me of the MEMT X5... need to get them out as bass is pretty similar from what i remember

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #12,822 of 31,833
Thanks so much man! Doesn't hurt that they look gorgeous too. They even look better than top of the line Sennheiser and Sony in ears that go for $300-700. I wonder if they compare tho.

No problem! And they do look gorgeous. After having the King Pro in hand and seeing how beautifully finished it was, I decided to get the red version of the Queen, which has to be the best-looking non-acrylic-shelled IEM I've ever seen.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #12,823 of 31,833
Just got the Estron C610 which is quite a fun little thing. Bass is a bit loose but it's pretty snappy and electric guitars have nice crunch.

Not sure what it was, but I just wasn’t a fan of the C610. Granted, I only gave it 10 minutes of head time OOTB though. But that was long enough for me to feel uninspired, as it was very meh. Especially when I had the C630 and C631, which were far better to me.

And your comparison to the MEMT X5 is interesting, because I have always been unimpressed by the X5 as well. Just something about it. I know other love it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #12,825 of 31,833
Not sure what it was, but I just wasn’t a fan of the C610. Granted, I only gave it 10 minutes of head time OOTB though. But that was long enough for me to feel uninspired, as it was very meh. Especially when I had the C630 and C631, which were far better to me.

And your comparison to the MEMT X5 is interesting, because I have always been unimpressed by the X5 as well. Just something about it. I know other love it.

Yeah, I can understand why you might not have liked the MEMT x5 as the bass is quite fatiguing. I've just AB'd... they're not that alike after all lol. That's me getting old... memory isn't as good as it once was! C610 is much better. More air, much clearer and better mid bass giving it a punchier attack.

Personally I am preferring it over the C630 also... i found that the c630 can sound a bit artificial at times. the C610 has better control all over and sounds more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back