CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #12,631 of 31,833
I'm a bit unsure about japanese reviews and their sound preference in general. Difficult to understand, some say bass is weak (typical comment for a neutral signature), some say bass is a strong point, but yes, they seem to not like them. Way too little info to make a rational decision.

I was kinda hoping for something that is not as v-shaped as most of the current chinese best-sellers.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #12,632 of 31,833
Man, imma skip that. There's mixed reviews so spending ard 100+ (local $) on that sound insane lol. Probably going for the banned IEM (have 2 of their products and both are real good) and the TRN V80. I can use the shop's express coupons when purchased together so that's a plus xD

Dunno what's with the whole 2BA + 2DD wave. But like u said, only one way to find out :wink:

For TRN V80 read a review that I agree w/ TRN V80 has difficulty with congested music. Music that has clear separation, it excels with. For example, Two Steps From Hell - Invincible album, yeah it struggles, struggles hard, congested crowded. Comparatively, does well w/ E.S Posthumus Makara, which has far clearer separation, even within strings/brass. With something like Bella Sonus Enamoured, eats it up for detail/separation.

I'm thinking 5 driver might be the way.
DD 60-500
DD 500-2K
BA 2K-4K
BA 4K-10K
BA 10K-20K

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #12,634 of 31,833
For TRN V80 read a review that I agree w/ TRN V80 has difficulty with congested music. Music that has clear separation, it excels with. For example, Two Steps From Hell - Invincible album, yeah it struggles, struggles hard, congested crowded. Comparatively, does well w/ E.S Posthumus Makara, which has far clearer separation, even within strings/brass. With something like Bella Sonus Enamoured, eats it up for detail/separation.

I'm thinking 5 driver might be the way.
DD 60-500
DD 500-2K
BA 2K-4K
BA 4K-10K
BA 10K-20K
I might have missed the discussion, is there a 5 driver coming out from TRN? Only know the BQEYZ or whatever the name is lol

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #12,635 of 31,833
I've been tempted by the NiceHCK DT300 something about it that I like the look of but very little I can find written on them either.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #12,636 of 31,833
Does anyone have v80 and tfz king both to compare?

I do, in that I have the Exclusive and King Pro and the TRN80. The first two will stay in my collection, the TRN80 I'll give to somebody who likes a bit more of a treble cannon than I do. In all fairness they are nowhere near each other in price bracket, so why the compare?

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #12,637 of 31,833
I've been tempted by the NiceHCK DT300 something about it that I like the look of but very little I can find written on them either.

Caused a bit of a stir over on the discovery thread. Hungrypanda quite liked them, whilst someone else didn't to the point whether he wondered his were faulty or not tuned. The successor is out now anyway in the 500 if that's any help!

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #12,638 of 31,833

I have the DT300. Good price right now during the sale . It is one of my best ones. First it belonged to @HungryPanda . He gave it to me when he got the DT500...same shell, 5BA per side instead of 3.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #12,639 of 31,833
I really like the DT300 but gave it to my wife once I got the DT500 as it just sounded fuller and wider. To be honest I would recommend both as the fit really well and sound good. The other person that didn't like them made me think they prefer a deeper V shape

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #12,640 of 31,833
@crabdog , @thejoker13 , and @Lurk650

I now have the Toneking Nine Tail on the way. Ordered this morning and already shipped! Looking forward to them:)

Nice discount during the aliexpress sale puts them within the price range of this thread.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #12,641 of 31,833
I do, in that I have the Exclusive and King Pro and the TRN80. The first two will stay in my collection, the TRN80 I'll give to somebody who likes a bit more of a treble cannon than I do. In all fairness they are nowhere near each other in price bracket, so why the compare?
People are comparing them to $100 club. Thought I should not miss the sale. Anyway thanks for saving my bucks buddy. I'm happy with my KING.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #12,642 of 31,833
@crabdog , @thejoker13 , and @Lurk650

I now have the Toneking Nine Tail on the way. Ordered this morning and already shipped! Looking forward to them:)

Nice discount during the aliexpress sale puts them within the price range of this thread.
Fingers crossed! I'm sure as long as you can get a good fit you will love the sound. :thumbsup:

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #12,643 of 31,833
Fingers crossed! I'm sure as long as you can get a good fit you will love the sound. :thumbsup:
If you cannot get a good fit I will always be there :)

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #12,645 of 31,833
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0789BXW81/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For all you eagle eyed head fi'ers can anyone tell me if they know the real name to these little beauties. Chances are you all know and I'm just late to the party lol.

Soooo I saw them on Amazon UK and thought they looked interesting. A BA+DD for £10... branded Horsky. Only £10 so nothing to lose (well, the £10 obv). Got them yesterday afternoon. First listen was well, terrible... what else was i expecting of a £10 no name hybrid... silly billy i am. VERY bright, tinny and thin. BUT the little bass it had seemed to be quite quick and actually accurate. So I pushed the tip right over til the nozzle reached the top similar to many other earphones, so as speaker was closer. WOW... different animal.

Bass is awesome... instantly enjoyable, nice rumble when in the mix. Good depth. Whole signature has changed... now pretty smooth. These are very capable. I then tried the tips that came with the Artiste DC1 which i find perfect for my ear shape. . Mids slightly recessed but the bass has helped thicken out their original thinner body, extended treble that just misses being bright. Slightly V shaped but with very good treble detail giving it a crisp attack. like a lot of V shaped earphones i have they have a bloody great soundstage. 90s dance and 80 keyboard music is pure fun. They have great micro detail coming thru, especially at the far ends of the soundstage where little notes and sounds are coming thru.

I'm trying not to hype them up too much as I have a habit of doing on occasion but these are special little things.

I put on my HD copy of Phantom of the Opera 25th Ann and at the intermission when the audience applauds the band, I'm surrounded I'm totally surrounded in all directions by the claps. then the band starts and wow... width a plenty

Build - Tiny and plastic but super comfy. Similar size and fit, including comfort as the Brainwavz B200.

It's amazing that earphones are coming from all directions these days of great value, no matter the price you can find something special. the QS1 which I've enjoyed recently which are also £10 don't get close. I dare say nothing I've had at this price point does. As i type I keep going back to them with different genres as I keep looking for a weakness so as to reign this review back... but i can't!!!

BTW, these give me the same good feeling the ARTISTE DC1 gives me. They may actually be a little similar, I'll need to compare tomorrow.

An unassuming little BA+DD at £10... just change the HORRIBLE choice of tips they provided (or pull it back... but try different tips til you too hear what i'm hearing. Such a silly move could make a lot of buyers make a quick decision that they sound awful as i nearly did. hopefully someone in the Uk with a tenner to burn can give these a shot and tell me if I'm crazy lol. I think I've got a decent enough ear by now, just like the rest of you when i can hear something special.

If it's something that's already been reviewed here then all of you should be ashamed for not telling me about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back