CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 14, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #10,696 of 31,839
So I just wanted to follow up on my previous impression of Yersen FEN-2000. After hours and hours or burn in, I am afraid they are not getting better - bass is still weak and highs are pretty damn harsh and sibilant (even if super detailed and stunningly three-dimensional). I almost think I got a faulty pair - other places (e.g. audiobudget and even feedbacks on Aliexpress from the same store) say that it is bass-heavy and no sibilance at all (obviously my experience is the opposite). I bought from Highlight Gllobal Store.

- Does everyone who has Yersen FEN-2000 agree with the above?
- Can it be bad cable rather than bad IEMs? (this is my first MMCX pair so no clue how much of a role cable plays really)

Compared to Swing, KZ5, bass is on par so therefore not bass light, and sibilance is reduced by a fair amount. In fact, didn't have that problem although it does have a metalic ring to it (tbh, perhaps the cold metal frame adds to that effects :p).

May 14, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #10,697 of 31,839
Mine are the real thing in the real size!

It's possible that the seller accidentally sent @DBaldock9 the wrong size.

What he really needs to do is measure them with calipers/micrometer:

M- Outer Diameter 12mm
L - Outer Diameter 13.5mm

May 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #10,698 of 31,839
It's possible that the seller accidentally sent @DBaldock9 the wrong size.

What he really needs to do is measure them with calipers/micrometer:

M- Outer Diameter 12mm
L - Outer Diameter 13.5mm
I just ripped one off my ZS5 v1. for comparison!

May 14, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #10,699 of 31,839
So I have an update on the Baseus H07.

I should have trusted the feeling in my gut, based on my previous experience with Baseus's earphones being very 'average'.

The bottom line is they are very mediocre and underwhelming. It's not the worst IEM I've ever heard. If my plane crashed on a deserted island, and these were the only thing I had to listen to, they would be fine.

Desite being advertised as having multiple types of dampening inside, the shells feel extremely light. My guess is there's nothing but hot air inside.

Also, the cable is thin, fragile, and microphonic (reminds me of the paper thin apple earbuds cable). Both sides have crinkly driver flex, which is odd because they have front vents on the shell, which should vent insertion pressure.

As far as the sound, they are very slightly v-shaped, with an overall dark and veiled sound. The mids are distant, tinny, and lack detail, and male vocals suffer as a result. The treble does have good extension (which is obviously how they got High-Res certification), but it's slightly sibilant, screechy, and can get fatiguing after a short period depending on the genre.

I'll try to mod them to improve the sound, before sending them to the DoFI (Drawer of Forgotten IEMs).

For less money, the KZ EDR1 is light years better than the H07 in every respect, and it's half the cost to boot.

Update #2 on the Baseus H07.

I was expecting a piece of foam under the nozzle screen, because their exploded diagram shows "front dampening" and "filter sponge" in the nozzle.

Screenshot 2018-05-02 at 4.19.33 PM - Edited.png

After pulling the nozzle mesh off, directly underneath was a piece of tyvek filter material glued in the nozzle. No foam under the tyvek; just the tyvek.

I removed the tyvek and all of the glue used to hold it on, then installed new 5.0mm nozzle screens because the originals get destroyed when you remove them.

Once that is done, the sound is dramatically improved. I don't know what crack headed engineer thought the tyvek filter 'tuning' was a good idea, but whoever it was is tone deaf I assure you.

I knew as soon as I saw the tyvek that was contributing major problems to the H07. I tested tyvek when I made my own ZS6 nozzle filters, and it completely killed the ZS6 sound in many of the same negative ways as the stock H07 sounded.

Sure, it still has a fragile looking cable, but the sound is the most important thing at the end of the day. They are no longer wooly and veiled. There is additional sub-bass extension that was not there before. The mids are improved 100% now (although they are still recessed, as this is afterall a v-shaped IEM). But mids are no longer overly distant, no longer tinny, and there is a nice amount of detail where before there was none. Treble sounds a lot cleaner now as well, despite still being very slightly sibilant on some tracks.

Overall, a vast improvement over stock. Without the tyvek filter the H07 goes from a 3/10 IEM to a 5.5/10 IEM. They are now no longer destined for the DoFI. And even though I have better sounding gear, I will certainly get my $8 worth of use out of them.

This just yet another example of a company just slapping a driver in a housing and having little to no clue how to properly tune the end result. You want to know the difference between $8 like the H07 and $80 IEMs? Other than materials, tuning is where that difference is. Tuning can make or break an audio product. It can make a 'cheap' headphone great and an 'expensive' headphone sound like crap. Sure, some companies get lucky with the slap in method, but if you want legitimate, respectable, and legendary results, you have to invest in proper tuning.

These companies seriously need to stop hiring this guy to do their tuning:

bosseyed.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #10,700 of 31,839
I just ripped one off my ZS5 v1. for comparison!

Yeah, yours, mine, and probably John J Jingleheimer Schmidt's tips are all the right size too.

But @DBaldock9 needs to compare and measure, as he is the one that could have been sent M on accident when he asked for L.

May 15, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #10,701 of 31,839
Have you ever used Starlines before? They are kind of in-between sizes, like the in-between sizes of JVC Spiral Dots.

So the large is what I would consider a ML, and medium is what I would call a SM.

Here's a comparison of the tips I received, along with the tips I was using on my LZ A4 -
DSC-180514-231929.jpg

DSC-180514-231818.jpg

DSC-180514-231538.jpg

May 15, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #10,702 of 31,839
Here's a comparison of the tips I received, along with the tips I was using on my LZ A4 -

Yeah, those are L Starlines alright.

Keep in mind that the Starlines are ball shape, so when viewing from the bottom (as shown in your 1st photo) they tend to look 'smaller' than they are, because they taper in at the bottom from their max OD. Where as the wide bore Whirlwinds you have don't taper at the bottom, so they look 'bigger'.

But as I mentioned a few posts above, Starline tips are actually "in-between" sized tips.

M Starlines are in between S and M of most other tips, and the Starline L are in between M and L of most other tips.

That's why they fit me so well. I have always needed an in-between size. JVC actually SELLS in between sizes of Spiral Dots (ie SM and ML). They're just stupidly overpriced.

You can make the Starlines fit better by stuffing them with memory foam as seen below. You can use cheapy foam earplugs, or you can buy core-less 'marshmallow' foam tips from Aliexpress for a few dollars that literally fit the L Starlines perfectly with no modding or DIY required. While neither method actually increases the OD of the Starline tip, it does make them less compliant so they will definitely seal in your eardrum better.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #10,703 of 31,839
Yeah, those are L Starlines alright.

Keep in mind that the Starlines are ball shape, so when viewing from the bottom (as shown in your 1st photo) they tend to look 'smaller' than they are, because they taper in at the bottom from their max OD. Where as the wide bore Whirlwinds you have don't taper at the bottom, so they look 'bigger'.

But as I mentioned a few posts above, Starline tips are actually "in-between" sized tips.

M Starlines are in between S and M of most other tips, and the Starline L are in between M and L of most other tips.

That's why they fit me so well. I have always needed an in-between size. JVC actually SELLS in between sizes of Spiral Dots (ie SM and ML). They're just stupidly overpriced.

You can make the Starlines fit better by stuffing them with memory foam as seen below. You can use cheapy foam earplugs, or you can buy core-less 'marshmallow' foam tips from Aliexpress for a few dollars that literally fit the L Starlines perfectly with no modding or DIY required. While neither method actually increases the OD of the Starline tip, it does make them less compliant so they will definitely seal in your eardrum better.

I ordered some tips that are made like that, from Trinity Audio - but nearly all of my earphones have nozzles that are too large for the center bore.
They tend to tear apart, while trying to work the center bore over the nozzles of my earphones.

May 15, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #10,704 of 31,839
I ordered some tips that are made like that, from Trinity Audio - but nearly all of my earphones have nozzles that are too large for the center bore.
They tend to tear apart, while trying to work the center bore over the nozzles of my earphones.

Gotcha.

Sounds like you need the wide bore version of the pre-made tips. Symbio Mandarins come in narrow bore (N tips) and wide bore (W tips) . You won't get the tearing with the W version.

More info on the Symbios here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-review-of-mandarines-foam-tips.825397/

May 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #10,705 of 31,839
May 15, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #10,706 of 31,839
Wide bore version is $15 for 3-pairs, on eBay (shipped from Hungary) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-W-W...pecial-Hybrid-Universal-Ear-Tips/123125547491

Yeah, Symbios are not cheap.

That's why I make my own out of memory foam earplugs or marshmallow foam tips. I can use any silicone tip I wish, and buy a box of 100 orange memory foam eartips from Harbor Freight for under $5. Then punch out the centers with a hand punch, leather punch, or a paper hole punch, and I'm good to go.

Or the marshmallow tips fit with no punch needed. They are the closest thing to Symbios you will get. They fit in a large eartip with no air gaps (like your L Starlines), and are available in lots of colors. I like doing a red (R) and blue (L) color combination.

Marshmallow tips are here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...rbud-Bud-Tips-Earbuds-eartips/1052204391.html

Here's how the marshmallow tips look when fully inserted into a L silicone tip:

IMG_20180420_215458.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #10,707 of 31,839
So I just wanted to follow up on my previous impression of Yersen FEN-2000. After hours and hours or burn in, I am afraid they are not getting better - bass is still weak and highs are pretty damn harsh and sibilant (even if super detailed and stunningly three-dimensional). I almost think I got a faulty pair - other places (e.g. audiobudget and even feedbacks on Aliexpress from the same store) say that it is bass-heavy and no sibilance at all (obviously my experience is the opposite). I bought from Highlight Gllobal Store.

- Does everyone who has Yersen FEN-2000 agree with the above?
- Can it be bad cable rather than bad IEMs? (this is my first MMCX pair so no clue how much of a role cable plays really)

Well, I had pretty much the same experience with these, so I had to return them. Bass was non-existent, so I've concluded that the dynamic drivers on both were dead. I've posted my experience on AudioBudget (in the comments), as well as a comparison between them and the earbuds that came with my phone. Testing was not perfect, but it pretty much reveals the problem IMO. I've copied the comparison comment in the spoiler below for convenience.

I've spend the last hour recording some comparisons of how they sound next to the axon 7's headphones, my speaker setup and the original recording of the song "Cover Me" by Bee Gees (it's very bass heavy), so at least we can confirm for sure:

Segment of the original track (converted from lossless to mp3 for comparison):

http://picosong.com/wC8HF/

- - -

This is recording of my speaker setup, just to test the MIC and how it compares:

http://picosong.com/wC8HL/

- - -

That's the axon 7's original headphones (I've used the memory foam tips to isolate them, but that's the best I can do. It was really a pain, and it doesn't describe their actual sound - there is a lot more bass then what my phone's mics could capture):

http://picosong.com/wC8Hx/

- - -

And finally, here's how the Yersen FEN-2000's sound (I've used the same memory foams to isolate them to the openings of the MICs, so this recording should be the most accurate):

http://picosong.com/wC8HW/

So... yeah... those are the results. I don't have proper MIC setup to record them properly, but I think it works. Also, sorry I didn't align all the segments properly from the start. I should've cut the original segment initially, so that I can easily cut them when recorded, but I thought of that after I've recorded the that hard ones (the headphones).

Oh and everything was played/recorded flat - no EQ's or other enhancements, so it's pretty much apples to apples.

To the community: Feel free to use these comparisons, if you guys think they're helpful in some way.

[edit] I forgot to mention that I've tried different cables, including this one (which I bought to use with them as a spare). It all sounded the same, and simply unbearable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back