CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 13, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #10,636 of 31,849
May 13, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #10,640 of 31,849
May 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #10,643 of 31,849
My BW ("advanced mod") is strictly neutral sounding: an extremely clear and transparent sound with a tight bass...an FR curve up to 3K like pulled on a string...there is nothing in my collection that compares to them. The Fidue A65 is darkish sounding with more depth and is overall smoother, with the best vocals reproduction of the three. The ZSR has that rumbly bass, some sibilance, and the deepest V. All three are decent.

Audiophiles from "the other forum" would probably rank the modded BW above or equal with the Fidue, followed by the ZSR.

FIGURE: my own BW-ES1 before and after "advanced modding". Check "the other forum" for details.

This place loves a mod! Modding the Blitzwolf ES1 to be neutral, whilst others mod the neutral Tin Audio T2 to be more bassy.

On that note, as I'm tempted to get the ES1, would you mind doing a quick comparison between the T2 and the modded ES1?

I trust your crazy yet extremely informative ramblings!

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #10,644 of 31,849
BGVP SGZ DN1 Second Impressions

Anybody here remember that little rant I did about the BGVP DN1 and how I said I hated them? Well I hope most people took that with a grain of salt because they are actually pretty good. After two weeks I pulled them out again and used the KZ whirlwind tips instead, and WOW, that drastically took all the mid-bass bloat away. The sound is much brighter than before, and now I can appreciate the buttery smoothness of the mids. The mids are actually quite unique in the sense that no particular chunk of mid-frequencies seem noticeably emphasized nor recessed; in fact, they (the entire mid-freq range from 500Hz-4Khz) are ALL equally emphasized in a very modest way. The end result is a very harmonic sound, with a noticeable abundance in lower-mids. My TRN V20 and Tin Audio T515 are the exact opposite, as its high-mids dominate over its lower-mids. In comparison, the lower-mids and high-mids on the DN1 seem to work harmoniously with each other. I still prefer my T515 and V20 for most music though, but the DN1 is great for tracks that sound too sibilant on the aforementioned earphones (found it really good for psy-trance)..

Interesting side-note, I just finished a course on personality psychology and I find that you can apply some of its trait theories to—as you’ve guessed—the sound signatures of IEMs. Using the big five factor model, I’d say the DN1 scores pretty damn high on agreeableness. No particular area in the mid-range seems to want to dominate over another and fight for more “loudness”, instead they all work in agreement to give you a very smooth and non-aggressive sound. The DN1 would also score pretty big on extroversion due to the fun and engaging nature of its sound. Basically to sum up, the DN1 is just a very optimistic kind of guy that doesn’t let its ego get in their way and always loves a good party. However, the DN1 really needs to control their flatulence, because sometimes its mid-bass can really stink up the place without the right tip!

May 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #10,645 of 31,849
BGVP SGZ DN1 Second Impressions

Anybody here remember that little rant I did about the BGVP DN1 and how I said I hated them? Well I hope most people took that with a grain of salt because they are actually pretty good. After two weeks I pulled them out again and used the KZ whirlwind tips instead, and WOW, that drastically took all the mid-bass bloat away. The sound is much brighter than before, and now I can appreciate the buttery smoothness of the mids. The mids are actually quite unique in the sense that no particular chunk of mid-frequencies seem noticeably emphasized nor recessed; in fact, they (the entire mid-freq range from 500Hz-4Khz) are ALL equally emphasized in a very modest way. The end result is a very harmonic sound, with a noticeable abundance in lower-mids. My TRN V20 and Tin Audio T515 are the exact opposite, as its high-mids dominate over its lower-mids. In comparison, the lower-mids and high-mids on the DN1 seem to work harmoniously with each other. I still prefer my T515 and V20 for most music though, but the DN1 is great for tracks that sound too sibilant on the aforementioned earphones (found it really good for psy-trance)..

Interesting side-note, I just finished a course on personality psychology and I find that you can apply some of its trait theories to—as you’ve guessed—the sound signatures of IEMs. Using the big five factor model, I’d say the DN1 scores pretty damn high on agreeableness. No particular area in the mid-range seems to want to dominate over another and fight for more “loudness”, instead they all work in agreement to give you a very smooth and non-aggressive sound. The DN1 would also score pretty big on extroversion due to the fun and engaging nature of its sound. Basically to sum up, the DN1 is just a very optimistic kind of guy that doesn’t let its ego get in their way and always loves a good party. However, the DN1 really needs to control their flatulence, because sometimes its mid-bass can really stink up the place without the right tip!
Haha, that comparison. :p I too think the DS1 has an original, kind of friendly sound. Easy to listen for long periods, yet providing enough detail. This one looks away from upfront vocals or boosted midbass. There’s a kind of smooth sound signature here.

May 13, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #10,646 of 31,849
May 13, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #10,647 of 31,849
This place loves a mod! Modding the Blitzwolf ES1 to be neutral, whilst others mod the neutral Tin Audio T2 to be more bassy.

On that note, as I'm tempted to get the ES1, would you mind doing a quick comparison between the T2 and the modded ES1?

I trust your crazy yet extremely informative ramblings!
First: I don't mind being crazy but I don't think my rant on the BW mod was crazy. There is a saying in my profession: "a bad model is better than no model". Now swap "model" for description/review etc.

Which one is better - the two boxers are in different weight classes. Objectively, the heavyweight T2 are probably better than the doped BW. Subjectively, some may like the BW more, others the T2. Value for money: BW wins.

A note to MBWilson's question whether the unmodded BW are worth her while. I said no (out of my hips) and Slater said yes. Both are right.
My reasoning: when you have as many iems as MBWilson, the V-shaped BW may be more of the same. If you don't have as many V-shaped ones already, the unmodded BWs are probably are good choice. In the end, it comes down to price.

R-2157820-1361104071-1823.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #10,648 of 31,849
First: I don't mind being crazy but I don't think my rant on the BW mod was crazy. There is a saying in my profession: "a bad model is better than no model". Now swap "model" for description/review etc.

Which one is better - the two boxers are in different weight classes. Objectively, the heavyweight T2 are probably better than the doped BW. Subjectively, some may like the BW more, others the T2. Value for money: BW wins.

A note to MBWilson's question whether the unmodded BW are worth her while. I said no (out of my hips) and Slater said yes. Both are right.
My reasoning: when you have as many iems are MBWilson, the V-shaped BW may be more of the same. If you don't have as many V-shaped ones already, the unmodded BWs are probably are good choice. In the end, it comes down to price.

Thanks!

I meant crazy as a compliment and was referring to your posts in general, not the blitzwolf one.

Who wants to be normal?

May 13, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #10,649 of 31,849
@mbwilson111

You can do this mod on xb50.

Tape the bass duct and then make a small poke on center. Then poke, just poke a hole on front vent...don't get the needle too deep otherwise drivers can get damaged. @Slater and @Otto Motor can guide you there.

Taaa daa....done.

Its better compared to blitzwolf because of bigger driver and the bass duct now act as compression free pass.

So all that stupid decay and bass is gone and you have a linear, tighter bass. No coloring to mids and treble also gets cleaner due to reduction of front pressure(poking the front vent.)

Enjoy more musical, less coloured iem. It is staging crazy amazing and is faster than blitzwolf graphene driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back