CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 14, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #10,652 of 31,849
Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #10,653 of 31,849
May 14, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #10,654 of 31,849
A note to MBWilson's question whether the unmodded BW are worth her while. I said no (out of my hips) and Slater said yes. Both are right.
My reasoning: when you have as many iems are MBWilson, the V-shaped BW may be more of the same. If you don't have as many V-shaped ones already, the unmodded BWs are probably are good choice. In the end, it comes down to price.

Excellent point.

That's why I said "It's just your typical consumer v-shaped tuning, similar to the UiiSii CM5, many KZs, etc. You have so many IEMs, it would be a definite side grade for you. Unless you REALLY are itching to spend $10."

We basically said the same thing.

May 14, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #10,655 of 31,849
Was about to give up on this crazy hard to please i8. My KZ tips came today, and they're amazing indeed. Work with all my other IEMs easily, except for the i8 for some reason. I spent almost 2 hours struggling to get good seal, and could hear my ears cursing me. But every story here in this glorious chi-fi thread has happy ending, and I dare not break that tradition :) Had a pair of soft silicone on the i8, I tried to pull my ear in different directions while inserting it. And pulling the upper part of the ear back and up 45 degree works! Pull, insert, release, and behold the superb seal. Only a a slight problem - the stupid power of sub bass this thing has LOL. Just holy smoke, so ridiculously strong. I then eagerly tried the same method with the KZ Starline tips. Works great, and the sub bass is not overpowering. I can now say with confidence that this I-INTO i8 is awesome. Big thanks to your hyping of KZ Starlines, and of course chi-fi gems :)

May 14, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #10,657 of 31,849
It really sounds better than ety, as they sound a little dark on upper mids. And sub Bass is elevated a little

Cheapo neutral

Testing both un-EQed or set to personal preference?

May 14, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #10,658 of 31,849
Testing both un-EQed or set to personal preference?
Un-eq..

It sounds more pleasant and forgiving while maintaining neutrality.

Ety are unforgiving.

Plus they have lower distortion, so they have a good soundstage(intimate but still bigger than ety er4xr).

And they don't sound thick like er4xr(single BA bass boost issue like shire se215 etc)

May 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #10,659 of 31,849
Was about to give up on this crazy hard to please i8. My KZ tips came today, and they're amazing indeed. Work with all my other IEMs easily, except for the i8 for some reason. I spent almost 2 hours struggling to get good seal, and could hear my ears cursing me. But every story here in this glorious chi-fi thread has happy ending, and I dare not break that tradition :) Had a pair of soft silicone on the i8, I tried to pull my ear in different directions while inserting it. And pulling the upper part of the ear back and up 45 degree works! Pull, insert, release, and behold the superb seal. Only a a slight problem - the stupid power of sub bass this thing has LOL. Just holy smoke, so ridiculously strong. I then eagerly tried the same method with the KZ Starline tips. Works great, and the sub bass is not overpowering. I can now say with confidence that this I-INTO i8 is awesome. Big thanks to your hyping of KZ Starlines, and of course chi-fi gems :)
Into i8 need mmcx.

They are on level to Sony xb90ex soundstage on some track

May 14, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #10,661 of 31,849
It really sounds better than ety, as they sound a little dark on upper mids. And sub Bass is elevated a little

Cheapo neutral
@ClieOS mentioned that the EDC3 is "quite good but by no means analytical. If you are like me who enjoy a very sharp and crispy violin, I doubt EDC3 will meet your need. I have my Etymotic ER4S for that, EDC3 is more mainstream." The treble on the EDC3 was also noted to be "fairly well extended, but more of a smooth fashion and thus you won't get a lot of hot sizzling string vibration that you would typically hear in an analytical IEM." I know that the ER4S and the ER4XR are not the same but the same comments may apply. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the comparison. Based on my reading it seems like what's "better" between the two can be attributed to what one is hoping to get out of them, not a cut and dry "X does everything better than Y."

May 14, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #10,662 of 31,849
Oh - and I just ordered the ES4 because I have a feeling these might be good. But I don’t know anything about them. :p
Let me know about ES4 SQ ...interested but likely not going to buy.
So let's do a little saturday question. :D

What is your guilty pleasure IEM?
An IEM you keep on coming back to, even though it's technically or pricewise not the best or most impressive IEM you have? You know it's not the greatest, but you keep on coming back to it once in a while.
For me, it's the KZ ATE. It was my first and only chi-fi from the beginning of 2017 to mid 2017, and I loved every damn song I played on them. Their bassy, nightlike sound, with warm notes just as loud as the vocals: everything sounded great on them. Now I know the mids and highs can be much better and natural, and there's such a thing as great instrument placement and soundstage. I didn't back then - but I still enjoy the ATE when I pick it up again.
And yours?
For me it is also ATE (current 5th gen, latest ATR has same driver too). I have 4 back-up pairs and 1 FF-mod in use (much less though than IT01).
I realized that there's a FR graph on the front of the box for the Rose North Forest, which gave me enough information to come up with a decent EQ preset for them.
For me RNF is not even worth spending time with EQ. It just sounds quite mediocre. Even unmodded ATE blows them from every direction.
If you truly want flat (as well as detailed, no sibilance), get a BlitzWolf ES1 and do a few very simple mods. All you need for the mods is a $3 set of micro drill bits and a sewing needle.
It has a single graphene dynamic driver, runs $10, and modded it is literally as flat as you're going to find without spending a lot more. Ask @Otto Motor what he thinks about it
(click for larger view)
My BW ("advanced mod") is strictly neutral sounding: an extremely clear and transparent sound with a tight bass...an FR curve up to 3K like pulled on a string...there is nothing in my collection that compares to them. The Fidue A65 is darkish sounding with more depth and is overall smoother, with the best vocals reproduction of the three. The ZSR has that rumbly bass, some sibilance, and the deepest V. All three are decent.
Audiophiles from "the other forum" would probably rank the modded BW above or equal with the Fidue, followed by the ZSR.
FIGURE: my own BW-ES1 before and after "advanced modding". Check "the other forum" for details.
Damn You guys... now I got itch to buy BW ES1 ...again. Don`t want this... I have enough mods to do atm -.-

May 14, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #10,663 of 31,849
Let me know about ES4 SQ ...interested but likely not going to buy.

For me it is also ATE (current 5th gen, latest ATR has same driver too). I have 4 back-up pairs and 1 FF-mod in use (much less though than IT01).

For me RNF is not even worth spending time with EQ. It just sounds quite mediocre. Even unmodded ATE blows them from every direction.

Damn You guys... now I got itch to buy BW ES1 ...again. Don`t want this... I have enough mods to do atm -.-

OK lol

Hahaha.

Blitzwolf es1 mod can be done to any iem having v shape nature and is having vents at front and back..

May 14, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #10,664 of 31,849
Un-eq..

It sounds more pleasant and forgiving while maintaining neutrality.

Ety are unforgiving.

Plus they have lower distortion, so they have a good soundstage(intimate but still bigger than ety er4xr).

And they don't sound thick like er4xr(single BA bass boost issue like shire se215 etc)

also from ClieOS: These are vastly different sounding IEM. ER4S/SR are naturally very analytical sounding with what many will refer to as 'lean' bass; EDC3 is pretty much on the opposite with very smooth treble and good lower end. It is lesser a case on which is objectively better but more on which sound signature will suit you better.

so basically why you prefer the EDC3 is based on personal preference (nothing wrong with that). but you should add "the edc3 is better than the er4xr FOR ME PERSONALLY" :k701smile:
SQ wise i don't think they would be on the same level.
that unforgiving sound that you mentioned is the reason most people (me included) would even consider buying an ETY in the first place. i had a meeting with a friend that said he literally hate the sound :sweat_smile:

i didn't mind his opinion because he still listens to old un-maintained, wobbly casette tapes and walkmans, and said it's analog goodness:smile:

May 14, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #10,665 of 31,849
also from ClieOS: These are vastly different sounding IEM. ER4S/SR are naturally very analytical sounding with what many will refer to as 'lean' bass; EDC3 is pretty much on the opposite with very smooth treble and good lower end. It is lesser a case on which is objectively better but more on which sound signature will suit you better.

so basically why you prefer the EDC3 is based on personal preference (nothing wrong with that). but you should add "the edc3 is better than the er4xr FOR ME PERSONALLY" :k701smile:
SQ wise i don't think they would be on the same level.
that unforgiving sound that you mentioned is the reason most people (me included) would even consider buying an ETY in the first place. i had a meeting with a friend that said he literally hate the sound :sweat_smile:

i didn't mind his opinion because he still listens to old un-maintained, wobbly casette tapes and walkmans, and said it's analog goodness:smile:
Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back