CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 5, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #10,231 of 31,834
I have some bad news concerning the Yersen FEN-2000. I received my first pair from the AliExpress Highlight Global Store on 3/16/18. The sound quality was great for the price. One month later, on 4/18/18, my right earpiece failed. I immediately contacted the seller who agreed to send me a replacement right earpiece. I just received the package today and to my surprise, I received both left and right earpieces. Not surprisingly, they were packaged in a ziplock bag, no eartips, cables or other packaging. When I listened to the new pair, however, it became overwhelmingly obvious that the sound quality is vastly inferior to the old pair. I switched out the old left earpiece to compare it to the new one using the same eartips and cable and the difference couldn't be clearer. The new set sounds tinny, muddy, with reduced soundstage and instrumental separation. Even for the low price, this new pair would not be worth it. I recognize that some people will say that the difference in sound quality may be from lack of burn in; I can say without reservation that out of the box, my old pair absolutely did not sound like this new pair. I'm willing to give burn in a shot, but for now, I would be very very careful about purchasing a new Yersen FEN-2000 as I believe the company may have changed the internals and created an inferior updated version without notifying consumers (which would be misleading since the reviews here are presumably for the first version), or perhaps the company has poor QC leading to such inconsistency. Or maybe it's my seller and his/her source. The point is, this new pair is not good at all and I cannot in good conscience recommend the Yersen FEN-2000 to new buyers (and that's not even considering its build quality issues). There are just too many better options at the same price point to deal with this nonsense.

Edit 1: I apologize if the above came off harsh. I'm more upset that Yersen might be screwing over customers than I am about the sound quality, though the SQ is also not praiseworthy.

Edit 2: If anyone can guide me through fixing my first right earpiece, I would be most appreciative.

These seem to be more trouble than they’re worth. I have seen numerous reports of these things failing.

May 5, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #10,232 of 31,834
70BA7F2A-980D-4EFA-95F6-0FE18CF46BFA.jpeg
Listened to the BGVP DS1 thoroughly this evening and oh my, do they show detail! Incredible separation, awesome soundstage! I’ve never heard EDM tracks this layered before!

Not even the Tin Audio T2 seem to deliver this much detail - but I will have to compare them better to check on that bold statement.

But good lord, are they sweet for €35! The build quality. The looks. The sound! I love them!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #10,233 of 31,834
These seem to be more trouble than they’re worth. I have seen numerous reports of these things failing.
Mine are good and I ordered 2 at 30 bucks. I still havent received my big order that included one for $21 (this order is lost - no seller response), that i was talking about earlier.
Someone wanna tell me how FEN-2000 matches up to the T2?

May 5, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #10,234 of 31,834
I have some bad news concerning the Yersen FEN-2000. I received my first pair from the AliExpress Highlight Global Store on 3/16/18. The sound quality was great for the price. One month later, on 4/18/18, my right earpiece failed. I immediately contacted the seller who agreed to send me a replacement right earpiece. I just received the package today and to my surprise, I received both left and right earpieces. Not surprisingly, they were packaged in a ziplock bag, no eartips, cables or other packaging. When I listened to the new pair, however, it became overwhelmingly obvious that the sound quality is vastly inferior to the old pair. I switched out the old left earpiece to compare it to the new one using the same eartips and cable and the difference couldn't be clearer. The new set sounds tinny, muddy, with reduced soundstage and instrumental separation. Even for the low price, this new pair would not be worth it. I recognize that some people will say that the difference in sound quality may be from lack of burn in; I can say without reservation that out of the box, my old pair absolutely did not sound like this new pair. I'm willing to give burn in a shot, but for now, I would be very very careful about purchasing a new Yersen FEN-2000 as I believe the company may have changed the internals and created an inferior updated version without notifying consumers (which would be misleading since the reviews here are presumably for the first version), or perhaps the company has poor QC leading to such inconsistency. Or maybe it's my seller and his/her source. The point is, this new pair is not good at all and I cannot in good conscience recommend the Yersen FEN-2000 to new buyers (and that's not even considering its build quality issues). There are just too many better options at the same price point to deal with this nonsense.

Edit 1: I apologize if the above came off harsh. I'm more upset that Yersen might be screwing over customers than I am about the sound quality, though the SQ is also not praiseworthy.

Edit 2: If anyone can guide me through fixing my first right earpiece, I would be most appreciative.

I'm in the same boat, but am still waiting for my replacement which was sent before yours. At least they have sent us out replacements unlike AK Audio store and my zs10. @Slater I'm going to take your advice and raise a dispute and leave them a 1 star review.

I'll definitely not buy from them again.

Oh well not having the greatest luck.

May 5, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #10,235 of 31,834
Mine are good and I ordered 2 at 30 bucks. I still havent received my big order that included one for $21 (this order is lost - no seller response), that i was talking about earlier.
Compared to my first FEN-2000, I felt that the T2 offered more clarity, detail, and neutrality. The FEN-2000 had stronger sub-bass out of the box. Mids and highs were similar and though I remember giving the T2 a very slight edge, I was not disappointed with the FEN-2000 at all. Where I felt the T2 was a bit lacking for EDM, the FEN-2000 performed well. Now that I did the bass mod for the T2, though, that criticism is no longer valid. Taking into consideration the issues I outlined earlier, I think the T2 is a better buy for new customers. Since you already have two good pairs of the FEN-2000, I'd consider the T2 a side grade more than an upgrade.

@Bartig and @paulindss: Would you say the DS1 is your favorite IEM in your collection? And to confirm: you guys purchased Version 1 from Audio&Visual on AliExpress, correct? Many thanks.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #10,236 of 31,834
Compared to my first FEN-2000, I felt that the T2 offered more clarity, detail, and neutrality. The FEN-2000 had stronger sub-bass out of the box. Mids and highs were similar but I remember giving the T2 a slight edge. Where I felt the T2 was bit a bit lacking for EDM, the FEN-2000 performed well. Now that I did the bass mod for the T2, though, that criticism is no longer valid. Taking into consideration the issues I outlined earlier, I think the T2 is a better buy.

@Bartig and @paulindss: Would you say the DS1 is your favorite IEM in your collection? And to confirm: you guys purchased Version 1 from Audio&Visual on AliExpress, correct? Many thanks.
I did - but purely from the earlier description from the sound I guess I got the TN Forum Version (or v1). Asked for this one, but can’t compare.

It’s too soon to say I like them better than the T2 with its bass hole covered, but wow, are they impressive.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #10,237 of 31,834
Compared to my first FEN-2000, I felt that the T2 offered more clarity, detail, and neutrality. The FEN-2000 had stronger sub-bass out of the box. Mids and highs were similar and though I remember giving the T2 a very slight edge, I was not disappointed with the FEN-2000 at all. Where I felt the T2 was a bit lacking for EDM, the FEN-2000 performed well. Now that I did the bass mod for the T2, though, that criticism is no longer valid. Taking into consideration the issues I outlined earlier, I think the T2 is a better buy for new customers. Since you already have two good pairs of the FEN-2000, I'd consider the T2 a side grade more than an upgrade.

It's soon to confirm. I don't know wich version i got. Never did an a/b test. But they are of course top 2. In my collection, only the t2 rivals with them. And yes, i asked for version 1 from audio&express.

May 5, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #10,238 of 31,834
Really enjoying my Fisher Price IEM's.... Jk... I love the TRN V20, it is warm sounding with zero sibilance, deep fast bass and decent sized soundstage. It has great detail in the mids without being overly bright. The stock cable is great as well. I have a black pair on the way now.

Attachments

• 20180429_184759.jpg
    20180429_184759.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #10,240 of 31,834
I listened to Paramore's Emergency (but the live version on the "Live in the UK" album) with different earphones. The live version is less than optimally recorded and the musical weaving is relatively simple.

First the **** UES: coherent sound, image was homogeneous but could have been bigger. Next the KZ ZSR: instantly evident was the loose lower end and the laid back however naturally sounding mids. Next, the Focal Sphear, which, unexpectedly, did not sound much better than the previous two. Then the ZS10, in which the image fell totally apart: it was fragmental at best. Rule of thumb for the ZS10: any music with fewer musicians than drivers (in both earpieces combined) sounds problematic. Last I used the Urbanfun Hifi which had surprisingly natural voices which were also somewhat too far back.

May 5, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #10,241 of 31,834
I listened to Paramore's Emergency (but the live version on the "Live in the UK" album) with different earphones. The live version is less than optimally recorded and the musical weaving is relatively simple.

First the **** UES: coherent sound, image was homogeneous but could have been bigger. Next the KZ ZSR: instantly evident was the loose lower end and the laid back however naturally sounding mids. Next, the Focal Sphear, which, unexpectedly, did not sound much better than the previous two. Then the ZS10, in which the image fell totally apart: it was fragmental at best. Rule of thumb for the ZS10: any music with fewer musicians than drivers (in both earpieces combined) sounds problematic. Last I used the Urbanfun Hifi which had surprisingly natural voices which were also somewhat too far back.

Can you try the track "I hate to see your heart break" from their self-titled album, the song is pretty much just Hayley's vocals and a strikingly beautiful guitar and piano? solo at the end. Interesting how would aforementioned iem's will handle that.

edit: it's violins, not a piano, somehow i messed them up...

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #10,242 of 31,834

For my old school ears and music (jazz, vocals)
The TIN Audio T2 wins
The TY-HI-Z HE 150PROs also sound better as well
The Yersen FEN-2000 do seem to come alive with more power though

Still need to listen to my just arrived Rose North Forest and spend more time with my Campfire Audio Comets

Just got the Venture Electronics Zen Omega Series as well (burning in)

I took my green KZ ZSRs, Shoji Hibiki's and KZ ED9s with me last week on a business trip. I guess I felt they were sacrificial just in case I lost them. I really liked the ED9 with gold filters and spinfits listening to my PlenueD and AP60-2 in the hotel room and the KZ ZSRs while walking outside in San Diego or in mulling around the convention center with 3000 other attendees. But none of them worked for me blocking out sound in the plane as I had hoped for the Hibiki and ZSRs IEMs, I ended up using my Bose in ears to watch movies in peace. The flight over had a crying baby two rows behind me the whole 5 hour flight.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #10,243 of 31,834
Listened to the BGVP DS1 thoroughly this evening and oh my, do they show detail! Incredible separation, awesome soundstage! I’ve never heard EDM tracks this layered before!

Not even the Tin Audio T2 seem to deliver this much detail - but I will have to compare them better to check on that bold statement.

But good lord, are they sweet for €35! The build quality. The looks. The sound! I love them!
Which version of the DS1 did you get and from what seller? Edit: Nevermind, I see you answered my question when asked by someone else.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #10,244 of 31,834
...But none of them worked for me blocking out sound in the plane as I had hoped for the Hibiki and ZSRs IEMs, I ended up using my Bose in ears to watch movies in peace. The flight over had a crying baby two rows behind me the whole 5 hour flight.

Look, I'm a sympathetic parent and I've been there myself (my daughter was collically and would scream for hours a day for many months). But surely within a 5 hour span you could, as a parent, find a way to calm your baby down. Give it a binky, a bottle, swaddle it in a blanket, go into the bathroom with it, walk and up and down the isles to try and calm it, ask the flight attendant if there was a more quiet place you could take the baby until it calmed down, visit your pediatrician before your flight and ask for something to help calm the baby during the trip, etc.

But as a parent to just sit there for 5 hours and ignore your screaming baby is neglectful, as the baby is crying for a reason - it's the parent's responsibility to find out why and attend to the baby's needs. Not to mention inconsiderate to those around you. It's like the people that recline their seats all the way back in front of you, or read their large newspapers spread halfway into your personal space. Aren't cramped flights in coach uncomfortable enough? We can't all get the royal treatment on a private jet or in 1st class.

I'm not tying to be cruel, uncompassionate, or ignorant/inconsiderate either; rather exactly the opposite. Again, I am a loving parent myself. Maybe that parent did try everything; I wasn't there. But I sure have seen parents that sit by and ignore everything like it's not even happening.

And so we stay on topic, did you end up with your Bose in-ears because they had ANC or something?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back