CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #6,196 of 31,833
I received my Z5000 one hour ago. They are OK but nothing too special IMO. They are warm,soft, non fatiguing type of sound. Using a P1 cable and UE900s silicon tips (wide bore). There is no front vent so driver flex, fit and congestion issues occur. That's about it for straight out of the box impressions.
How are the UE900S in general? Mine are in the mail.

Your initial Z5000 description is reminiscent of the LKER i8. Good, nothing special, pleasant, not piercing...what is the soundstage like? How do they compare to the NADs?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #6,197 of 31,833
Hum, don't know exactly what to suggest, the one I use was 25$ and can be found on ebay for 15$ but it have a earhook that I finally have to cut to be free. So, with the Z5000, as it can be wear over ear as well as the standar way I would suggest a cable that can do both like this one (perhaps there better option too):

Oh, and i'm pretty sure you will not regret this Excellent choice, only ''drawback''is that they are a little heavy but I like it, they look and feel invincible. In fact they are ultra comfy for me, if were over ear ther no risk that it fall from ears at all.Were will you buy them? and please don't forget to share your impressions here once you receive it!

As promised, My impression of the Z5000 which I now already received!

Looks: quite nice! They do not come in a box, only bubble plastic. Enough tips to try on but i prefer the memory foam / small sized silicon tips. I have to say, they would even be more flashy and nice if they would look like for instance the tennmak trio but still, they look very solid.

Sound: DAMMMNNNN. These earphones are BOOM! What a sick bass! It gets to low frequencies which I have never experienced with earphones. They are really REALLY made for bassheads. Just as Nymphonomaniac said, they have an U-shaped sound signature with a very sparkly treble and just a sick bass layer. Maybe in some cases a little sloppy but that could also be because I do not use a dac/amplifier (just my cellphone Xiaomi Note 4). Soundstage is pretty good. As I would describe them with one word: Fun!
Worth the money: Without a doubt. I think they could cost 100 usd without mmcx cable and still be a bargain.

Comparison:
Apple earbuds - Of course they fit way better, but also the sound is in every sense better.
Tennmak Trio - Fit of Tennmak is maybe a little bit better as you could even sleep with those in. The Z5000 just are a little less streamlined, have to check what the effect of it is when riding a bike/skiing. Sound wise I prefer the Z5000. I think the bass is kicking in better and the treble is more sparkling. However, for musicality maybe the Tennmak Trio is more balanced and warmish. It has more present mids which could help with certain types of music
TTPOD T1-E: Although the ttpods are known of there funky kickbass, they are nothing compared to the Z5000. Z5000 is capable in getting much lower frequencies and in addition has a sparkly treble (not harsh at all btw!) The ttpods are really L-shaped and they thus lack in their mid/trebles. ttpods sound really dark and sometimes even like there is a pillow between the speaker and your eardrum, like a wall in between..

Ranking:
1. Z5000
2. Tennmak Trio
3. TT-pod T1E (close to the Tennmak's as the bass is still funky)
4. Iphone earbuds (just the normal ones you get with the iphone 6. They just fit soooo bad)

What I listen most of the time:
- Jazz (modern urban Jazz to classical Jazz)
- Classic (Ludovico Einaudi kinda music)
- Instrumental
- Dire Straits
- Techno (deephouse)
- Hardstyle (euphoric, only when hitting the gym)

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #6,198 of 31,833
I see you got a Xduoo X10 like me....perhaps giving it a try with memory foam tips pluged directly into the X10 will please you more as it will sound more fowards and bass will warm less overall soundsignature. Even if a little warm, I really find details retrieval impressive.
Did you listen to music loudly?

As I see you got the Ibasso IT01 too, would be very interested for a comparaison with Z5000.

I use the X10 outdoors only and then only with very cheap IEMs so I don't care if I break them in my pocket. Currently listening straight out of my Audiotrack Prodigy Cube Black Edition USB DAC (with ASIO4All).

IT01 is much more forward sounding than Z5000 both using wide bore tips. I've listened to the A15 that has narrow bore tips on and it is somewhat between the two, no doubt it would become more forward with wide bore ones. I find both the IT01 and A15 easier to use than the Z5000 despite both of then being over ear fit because of the absence of a front vent on the Z5000 and the usual associated issues. With regards to sound quality I find all three more than satisfactory regarding clarity and detail retrieval but I am a bit disappointed that Z5000 doesn't sound significantly better than A15 considering they cost about the same and what you get in term of packaging and accessories with the A15 is quite incredible at that price point whereas you get absolutely none of it with Z5000. I like IT01 and A15 better due to them being both more forward sounding but the Z5000 isn't bad by any means. Anyway, early impressions and as always if you really wanna know you buy them all, lol...

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #6,199 of 31,833
How are the UE900S in general? Mine are in the mail.

Your initial Z5000 description is reminiscent of the LKER i8. Good, nothing special, pleasant, not piercing...what is the soundstage like? How do they compare to the NADs?

Z5000 are better than just OK, I was just a bit disappointed they aren't better than they are. I don't like the UE900S apart from the accessories. Z5000 vs NAD HP 20? From memory, NAD more v-shaped, Z5000 more warm and smooth. I don't know anything about soundstage as usual.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #6,200 of 31,833
I've had a couple of days with Auglamour RT-1. They sound as good as they look and they are made to be used on the go which is seriously good - extreme isolation and slight V shape. They would've been perfect if they had a more realistic mid range, the bump at 4-6kHz is really coloring the sound way too much for me (violins and vocals are a bit shrill and body-less, luckily never ever harsh and in fact they manage to sound smooth somehow), but I am used to more expensive stuff and for the price of 45$ you probably can't beat them for on the go listening. I will compare them to T2 which has shipped and will probably be here in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong when saying that they have a coloration of the vocals, this is monumentally better than KZ ZS5v1 for example, night and day to be honest. RT-1 does remind me of ZS5 actually, it upgrades it in every way that matters except the sound stage which is similar. This is without even taking into account comfort, build quality, accessories, quality control, isolation, design etc.

I didn't except RT-1 to sound like this - I expected it to sound more akin to RX-1 earbuds, but enjoying them as much as I do really shows that they've made a good product that just might not be ideal for me. Nevertheless, I am going to be using these on the commute, thumping my foot along the way. Waiting for their RT-3 which is probably going to be some serious business, but whether we will be discussing it here (<100$?) remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #6,201 of 31,833
As promised, My impression of the Z5000 which I now already received!

Looks: quite nice! They do not come in a box, only bubble plastic. Enough tips to try on but i prefer the memory foam / small sized silicon tips. I have to say, they would even be more flashy and nice if they would look like for instance the tennmak trio but still, they look very solid.

Sound: DAMMMNNNN. These earphones are BOOM! What a sick bass! It gets to low frequencies which I have never experienced with earphones. They are really REALLY made for bassheads. Just as Nymphonomaniac said, they have an U-shaped sound signature with a very sparkly treble and just a sick bass layer. Maybe in some cases a little sloppy but that could also be because I do not use a dac/amplifier (just my cellphone Xiaomi Note 4). Soundstage is pretty good. As I would describe them with one word: Fun!
Worth the money: Without a doubt. I think they could cost 100 usd without mmcx cable and still be a bargain.

Comparison:
Apple earbuds - Of course they fit way better, but also the sound is in every sense better.
Tennmak Trio - Fit of Tennmak is maybe a little bit better as you could even sleep with those in. The Z5000 just are a little less streamlined, have to check what the effect of it is when riding a bike/skiing. Sound wise I prefer the Z5000. I think the bass is kicking in better and the treble is more sparkling. However, for musicality maybe the Tennmak Trio is more balanced and warmish. It has more present mids which could help with certain types of music
TTPOD T1-E: Although the ttpods are known of there funky kickbass, they are nothing compared to the Z5000. Z5000 is capable in getting much lower frequencies and in addition has a sparkly treble (not harsh at all btw!) The ttpods are really L-shaped and they thus lack in their mid/trebles. ttpods sound really dark and sometimes even like there is a pillow between the speaker and your eardrum, like a wall in between..

Ranking:
1. Z5000
2. Tennmak Trio
3. TT-pod T1E (close to the Tennmak's as the bass is still funky)
4. Iphone earbuds (just the normal ones you get with the iphone 6. They just fit soooo bad)

What I listen most of the time:
- Jazz (modern urban Jazz to classical Jazz)
- Classic (Ludovico Einaudi kinda music)
- Instrumental
- Dire Straits
- Techno (deephouse)
- Hardstyle (euphoric, only when hitting the gym)

Any memory foams tips?

Z5000 are 2 IEM in one. Bassy-little boomy treble sparky (silicone) & bassy mid-fowards leaning to neutral (foam).

Happy to know you like them:) And with Jazzzzzzzzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZZZZ5000 are killer!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #6,202 of 31,833
Z5000 are better than just OK, I was just a bit disappointed they aren't better than they are. I don't like the UE900S apart from the accessories. Z5000 vs NAD HP 20? From memory, NAD more v-shaped, Z5000 more warm and smooth. I don't know anything about soundstage as usual.

Ouch, the UE900S were $400 USD. What's wrong with them apart from strange mids?

Soundstage: easy! Describes your perception how far the music goes outside your head in terms of both width and depth. For example, do you feel music down to your shoulders or does it stay around your ears?

Wide soundstage: the symphony orchestra is occupying a wide perceived area in front of you.

Narrow soundstage: the orchestra's chairs are moving closer together.

Deep soundstage: you clearly hear the drummer from the toilet behind the stage. If not so deep, there must be a puddle under his chair on stage.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #6,203 of 31,833
Deep soundstage: you clearly hear the drummer from the toilet behind the stage. If not so deep, there must be a puddle under his chair on stage.

Why is the drummer in the toilet? You must go to some strange shows.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #6,205 of 31,833
Ouch, the UE900S were $400 USD. What's wrong with them apart from strange mids?

Soundstage: easy! Describes your perception how far the music goes outside your head in terms of both width and depth. For example, do you feel music down to your shoulders or does it stay around your ears?

Wide soundstage: the symphony orchestra is occupying a wide perceived area in front of you.

Narrow soundstage: the orchestra's chairs are moving closer together.

I just don't like the UE900S, they are boring sounding to me plus they feel somewhat cheaply built but then I don't like any BA or hybrid I have regardless of tuning with the FLC8S being an exception somewhat but then it's too soft sounding for my taste, 5khz dip that no tuning filter changes. Nice set of eartips with the UE900S though, I love them but I don't think they are worth $400. I paid only £120 for mine with three full set of tips instead of two so that was a not overly expensive learning experience with a nice set of tips as a bonus. I don't like them but you may do, lots of people like them.

Soundstage is too much for me to describe, I don't have enough imagination for that plus what I listen to usually is akin to sonic mayhem, I guess if I'd listen to more minimalist stuff it'd be easier.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #6,206 of 31,833
I just don't like the UE900S, they are boring sounding to me
...which points to a neutral tuning. I am paying $180 USD, essentially the same as you.
Speaking of GP...another interesting British design are the B&W C5 series 2. They go into the NAD direction...even in terms of monster metal construction.
They would be another one to get a second and third opinion about.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #6,209 of 31,833
Why is the drummer in the toilet? You must go to some strange shows.

drummer.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #6,210 of 31,833
I've had a couple of days with Auglamour RT-1. They sound as good as they look and they are made to be used on the go which is seriously good - extreme isolation and slight V shape. They would've been perfect if they had a more realistic mid range, the bump at 4-6kHz is really coloring the sound way too much for me (violins and vocals are a bit shrill and body-less, luckily never ever harsh and in fact they manage to sound smooth somehow), but I am used to more expensive stuff and for the price of 45$ you probably can't beat them for on the go listening. I will compare them to T2 which has shipped and will probably be here in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong when saying that they have a coloration of the vocals, this is monumentally better than KZ ZS5v1 for example, night and day to be honest. RT-1 does remind me of ZS5 actually, it upgrades it in every way that matters except the sound stage which is similar. This is without even taking into account comfort, build quality, accessories, quality control, isolation, design etc.

I didn't except RT-1 to sound like this - I expected it to sound more akin to RX-1 earbuds, but enjoying them as much as I do really shows that they've made a good product that just might not be ideal for me. Nevertheless, I am going to be using these on the commute, thumping my foot along the way. Waiting for their RT-3 which is probably going to be some serious business, but whether we will be discussing it here (<100$?) remains to be seen.

They look pretty amazing! Do you have the colorful or black version? Can't decide what I like more, would love to see some real photos.

How is the bass?

I'm on the fence about Tin T2 and this ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back