CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #6,136 of 31,833
Just looked more closely at the images on AliExpress, and I see that they're using some sort of proprietary Keyed MMCX connector, which means that it can not rotate. :astonished:
It also means that standard MMCX plugs may not fit, and plug into the jacks.

@loomisjohnson - Can you confirm whether or not standard replacement MMCX cables will work with the DT-10 earphones? Thanks!
db, i could not get standard mmcx to fit in the dt10--the connector's the same but the dt10 has a high ridge which, as you note, keeps the cable from rotating. i will say the two included cables are vg quality.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #6,137 of 31,833
  • VE is a window-dressing company that appears to get lots of suckers (like me :gs1000smile:) that fall for their cheesy marketing: do they now sell two $5 earphones plus some extra cables for $60?
While I agree with Monk+ - they are just 5$ earbud with nothing special about its sound...
Have You actually heard other VE offerings like VE Asura 2 for example (I have it btw) to call them overall subjectively "window-dressing company"?
VE Asura is very good in midrange and vocals department, especially when amped. BUT I can`t use them (or any earbud) because every movement of shells will change sound and getting good fit is almost impossible for me.
...but I am still not jumping on the hype train for them, as the midrange is still way too colored for me. Like I said earlier, listen to a good set of cone stereo speakers and compare them to a good set of planar speakers. That is the difference I am hearing. The Tin Audios sound artificial in comparison. AS usual, YMMV!
Interesting opposing opinion about T2. I suspected that to me they would sound also artificial and coloured in midrange. That is of course subjective speculation because I don`t own them.
But I take Your Stereo speakers vs.planar speakers as good informative point about T2 as I also search rather open/livery/airy presentation of midrange similar to speakers setup than "injected to Your brain & into headstage center" midrange.
This is purely subjective and personal preference, which, imo Otto doesn`t understand or respect well (no insult intended, just seems so based on his comments and bashing about ZS5v1 midrange "lacking").

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #6,138 of 31,833
Yes, a single source is most consistent. And a good reviewer should separate observation/objective and interpretation/bias.
The reviewer should first describe the sound, then judge it according to their liking. A quality ranking should be independent of taste.

In the end, we rank the reviewers...obviously Whathifi is not the most credible for me. I particularly like one who gives extremely detailed reviews that let you read between the lines.

There are some reviewers who are telling us right away that they judge earphones according to their personal tastes only. Such reviews are only informative when you know their tastes.

Worst reviewer of all that begin to fall on my nerve is the Phonograph....going into his blog its like going to brothel but instead of girls its publicity...all look like copy paste description find somewhere else. I always fall on him when I google a chifi iem these days...second worst one is ''Bad guy good audio'' from youtube, he's an headfier too, don't remember the name, but hes the master to talk and say nothing about DAP and again I always fall on him on youtube especially when trying to get factual info about Opus 1 DAP....video was 20 minutes long and he just talk about his life and the DAP look.

For the good ones, I like B9scrambler review but unfortunately he don't like to give score on his blog (on headfi he do it no choice!), as I like both: good explaination AND score it sometime make me confuse to know if he really like an IEM or not, but when its too minimalist like with Audiobudget or Vidal, it can lack in description, tough the graphic with score of Vidal is very wise and informative by its own. All in all, review are a plus, but making conclusion on it still is risky, I read SO MUCH reviews....different one to compare and make my own conclusion, and asking questions here, in fact, all in all, its on headfi that I find the more valuable info, I really like it when there more than 2 reviews so I can compare. I like it when there debate about soundsignature advantage too, good or bad. I feel a reviewer must have wide music taste too, so he can really test the gear properly, if he just listen to one type of music review will be half done at best IMO

About sound source, I feel in the contrary that it need more than one because it colore the sound, I really don't give lot of credit to reviewer that only use a smartphone for example, 2 DAP, a neutral and a little colored, even if I do not beleive in plain neutral DAP cause just the power it push can inflict on IEM sound.

I just finish the review of my Xduoo nano D3 and it was quite hard....make sometime I did not review a DAP, and english writing really fock my brain sometime especially to be precise about sound description or some fancy terminology....but the secret I say at they end is true, I really think I prefer his sound to the Xduoo X10! For my next reviews I think I will create a playlist with ALL music style possible. Need some discipline really....big problem with that!

And your right, WhaThiFi is What in must case...I was reading this before falling in headfi hehe

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #6,139 of 31,833
I don't like memory foam on most iems, I'm using a soft silicon wide bore tip and they are W shaped and very good indeed

But Panda, did you give it a try just to see?

I don't like memory foam either....its the second IEM out of my collection that I feel it benifit from it.

And bass still there, just more controlled and tigh, cello are soooooooooooo incredible and full of body with this tips, before it have to much bass decay. But I love silicone tips too, its like having an option to give extra bass=nice!

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #6,140 of 31,833
Have You actually heard other VE offerings like VE Asura 2 for example (I have it btw) to call them overall subjectively "window-dressing company"?

This is purely subjective and personal preference, which, imo Otto doesn`t understand or respect well (no insult intended, just seems so based on his comments and bashing about ZS5v1 midrange "lacking")

No, I haven't but would love to. I find the financial risk too big of not being satisfied. And I don't like this Lee guy - another personal preference.

As to the T2: I agree with you and also respect your opinion on the ZS5v1. My previous rants were fueled by anti-hype (playing the "advocatus diaboli - devil's advocate") and the confirmation of my own taste/perception by a reputable reviewer. Surely provocative but in the end, we are all good sports. A discussion restricted to "should I buy the Shockaudio Dixy or rather the Plingping 3" would lack salt.

I leave the last word to you...:)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #6,141 of 31,833
More comparisons - I like brandnames as references/testing standards: Focal Sphear vs. NAD Viso HP20 vs. Urbanfun Hifi (2 drivers):
Music used was well recorded classical: Spohr Nonet (Gaudier Ensemble; Hyperion label) and Walton Viola concerto (Monkemeyer, Bamberg Symphony; Sony label).

The Urbs came in as a very honourable third with respectable separation and layering and qualify for the "bang for buck award" (I always find them slightly more aggressive and therefore more fatiguing than the more expensive ones without having an explanation). The other two play in the same league with all departments being slightly fuller.

The Focals don't really stand out in terms of soundstage but they are pleasant and reproduce the orchestra and soloist very well. But I would really like to get a second and third opinion on these NADs. They are slightly darker but may be the iems in my collection that come closest to the actual concert hall experience. A different beast compared to most others I know. Interesting to say the least. Too bad that they are heavy and big metal monsters in my ears that tend to fall out easily when moving.

Wonder why the NADs were not found worth reviewing other than by Whathifi and a few more when they were released.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #6,142 of 31,833
But Panda, did you give it a try just to see?

I don't like memory foam either....its the second IEM out of my collection that I feel it benifit from it.

And bass still there, just more controlled and tigh, cello are soooooooooooo incredible and full of body with this tips, before it have to much bass decay. But I love silicone tips too, its like having an option to give extra bass=nice!
I have tried foams on a lot of my iems but always go back and find a suitable silicone tip, sometimes it will end up a single,double or triple type

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,143 of 31,833
Reviewers: For the good ones, I like B9scrambler review but unfortunately he don't like to give score on his blog
And your right, WhaThiFi is What in must case...I was reading this before falling in headfi hehe

NOTE: something wrong in the header, Nymphonomaniac said this...

Most informative reviewers on their dedicated blogs to me (in no particular order): Hifi Chris, B9Scrambler, Crabbos, the guys on headflux...boy, I hope I have not forgotten anybody who will kill me for it...These guys describe the sound in detail etc. and compare to other iems. This leaves room for us to read between the lines and past their opinion. A score is not necessarily needed.

Aproar and audiobudget are good, too, but not as comprehensive and more opinion based (which is fair enough). On the other hand, they typically cover the cheaper segment and more earphones than anybody.

In the end it comes down to all of them to arrive at a buying choice. They all do us a favour in educating us and their efforts are highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #6,144 of 31,833
Wonder why the NADs were not found worth reviewing other than by Whathifi and a few more when they were released.

Most likely because they were the only ones to get free sample units for review. :wink:

Glad to see you've changed your opinion completely about them, I didn't quite understand your initial complete dismissal..

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #6,145 of 31,833
And herein lies my confusion:

1. Urbanfun Hifi or Sennheiser in-ear Momentum better? You say Urbanfun, I have not figured that one out in several months (I may be influenced by the placebo effect: expensive brandname must be better).
2. All sorts of blogs: KZ ZS5 higher rated than Urbanfun Hifi...nowhere the other way round as far as I am aware of. I disagree.
3.. Whathifi: Sennheiser in-ear Momentum higher rated than Focal Sphear. I disagree.
3a. Other online reviewer: Focal Sphear sounds in the $300 bracket. I don't know.
4. Therefore KZ ZS5 better than Sennheiser in-ear Momentum better than Focal Sphear? Hmmmmmm....
5. Another (serious) reviewer: KZ ZS5 good for the price but not a $100 earphone

We conclude: no real conclusions possible.

And we had this one before:

5. KZ HDS3...higher rated than Soundmagic E10C by Headflux
6. Whathifi: Soundmagic E10C best in class ca. 2012-2016
7. KZ HDS3 is a hell of a value..both are actually really similar
8. KZ HDS3 is rated soso in most blogs
9. Lots of cheepos must be much better than the Soundmagic E10C

We conclude: possibly true, but some of the lauded cheapos have a tuning not made for everyone...e.g. piercing treble.

And now, everybody, go and get your KZ HDS3 for $5 before they are gone. They certainly belong to a dying breed.

I"m assuming that you have heard both soundmagic and HDS3. If so, i know you listened to EDR2 as well. Can you tell me If EDR2 are anywhere close to HDS3 ? They sound similar or are oriented differently ?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #6,146 of 31,833
I have tried foams on a lot of my iems but always go back and find a suitable silicone tip, sometimes it will end up a single,double or triple type
I really like the feel, comfort wise, of foam tips. Although I've tried all sorts of brands I rarely end up with a fit that gives me a decent seal though. Hardly ever any bass. It amazes me when I see comments along the lines of with foamies the bass was so much better. I just don't understand how it can be when I get old transistor radio sound too often, muffled highs and non existent bass.

Does your preference run to silicone because of fit or comfort issues or something else?

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #6,147 of 31,833
The right silicone tip with any iem gives me better seal, better bass and feels tighter so no falling out of my ear

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,148 of 31,833
saying that I was popping different iems in and out all day yesterday and now my ear canals are a little tender so full size cans only today

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #6,149 of 31,833
KZ hds3 sound anywhere similar to edr

I"m assuming that you have heard both soundmagic and HDS3. If so, i know you listened to EDR2 as well. Can you tell me If EDR2 are anywhere close to HDS3 ? They sound similar or are oriented differently ?
Yes, I have all three of them and the EDR2 are very similar to both of them. The EDR2 are a tad "bigger" sounding. I'd collect all the cheap KZs before they are gone for good.

Edit: I just pulled the EDR2 and HDS3 out...yep, both are similar and really impressive. And, compared to the technically more advanced newer KZ models with multiple drivers: no obvious weaknesses such as harshness or piercing. Downside: bass is a bit mushier but less so with the HDS1.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #6,150 of 31,833
Most likely because they were the only ones to get free sample units for review. :wink:

Glad to see you've changed your opinion completely about them, I didn't quite understand your initial complete dismissal..

Interesting, ey? When I first tried them, I turned pale and thought I had just wasted $100, seriously. One of the issues was the tips: none of them were big enough. Not only could I not get a decent sound but they were also falling constantly out of my ears. So I used the largest tips that came with the Rock Zircon (I had similar issues with the B&W C5 series 2). Now I use the NADs in bed - they don't bleed sound. Still, they are uniquely tuned earphones that deserve some attention.

The total opposite was the case, when I first tried the KZ HDS3. What do you expect from a $5 earphone? And the mids were spot on - I could not believe it. I had also ordered a pair for a friend who likes neutral tuning. His reference were the Fostex TE-02. He was totally appalled by the KZ HDS3's "fun" bass. B9Scrambler rated the HDS1 higher in his KZ thread. So I got a hold of a blue pair and they are leaner sounding but also more difficult for me to find the proper seal - and they are harder to drive. Therefore, although the HDS1 may be the better earphones, the HDS3 work better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back