CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 3, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,231 of 31,833
I ranked the Magaosi K3HD over the DM5 due to the imaging problems. Both are thin at mid but to me the K3 was the better sounding. My initial listen I thought the sub-bass presence was not very good but during a later session I realized the source was responsible for some of that perception. I still think the bass is a bit looser than I like and the mid-bass hump is bleeding into and hiding the mids for sure.

Nov 3, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,232 of 31,833
Can someone listen to this and tell me if you find the bass "overpowering" with the DM5? the bass line is nice and audible, but at no point does it swallow up the mids.

This has been consistent with my experience with the DM5 in general.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #4,234 of 31,833
Well the Veedix NC50 and I aren't a good match,

So I'll def be moving on from the Veedix NC50, they're unlistenable most of the time for me. So time to try the search again. My newer descriptions of sound I'm after is in direct comparison to the NC50. Also, I listen to my music pretty loudly (2-4 notches below max volume on cell phone) and maybe its part of the reason why NC50 don't fit besides my treble sibilance issue.

I've already spent a total of $112 for them, shipping and a cable so I could use them. Once I find another good/far better option I'll be getting rid of them to help pay largely or entirely for new IEM. budget will dep on that but is now $5-$140 or so range.

Compared to Veedix NC50:

☆☆☆ Sub Bass: I'd like similar quality of sub bass, but a little bit less of it.

☆☆☆ Bass: level and weight/Punch of audible bass (bass guitar) should be a fair bit higher

☆☆☆ Mid Bass/Low Mids: should have more vol level overall, fuller with a bit more weight (bass guitar and rhythm guitar are thin)

☆☆☆ Mids: more volume level, better natural balance to lows and highs. More open/far less congested, better definition and air along with imaging/separation in mid heavy/complex/layered music. Much better depth, better richness/warmth and musicality. Bigger soundstage for mids. Less recessed but not intimate.

☆☆☆ Treble: Much much smoother EQ (no harshness/piercing, sibilance and very minimal peaks at worst). Sweeter more musical overall sound. Refined and silky but with nice overall balance of sparkle and presence along with being more extended and airy. Outside of the peak of NC50, a tad bit more overall treble (maybe this is solved with no sibilance and more presence and air?)

☆☆☆ Presence: more presence (smooth, balanced) especially in mids

☆☆☆ Smoothness: definitely smoother overall and especially much more so in the treble.

☆☆☆ Analog Warmth: I'd definitely like something far more analog overall and good amount warmer sounding than Veedix NC50, which I don't find much of in at all. Keys/synths and stringed instruments are very lacking here for my taste on NC50.

☆☆☆ Richness: definitely like something that has much richer sound character in the mids and to voices.

☆☆☆ Listenability/Fun/Soul: definitely something more life like like, with much more enjoyable and soulful sound that helps me really connect with the music. Doesn't mean high energy though, inspires more emotional connection like good valve amps do vs junk high compression digital.

☆☆☆ Presentation: less intimate soundstage for primary vocals that aren't as recessed in overall presentation of mix. A bit more present and forward backing vocals. More balanced EQ overall.

☆☆☆ Female voices: are super critical to my listening. Akin to having mythological Siren with richest, sweetest amazing voice singing directly to you. Depth, natural, emotional, smooth, well balanced with ZERO sibilance or harsh piercing sounds of any kind. Sits very well in layers of mix, doesn't overpower rest of music but is definitely 1 of the stars, present and strong but not intimate or too far forward.

☆☆☆ Male voices: something similar to NC50 without treble peak, but a bit more life, richness and depth to them.

☆☆☆ Background Vocals: a bit more present/forward for better balance and cohesion to the layers of mix and a bit bigger soundstage.

☆☆☆ Stringed instruments/Guitars: more depth, richness and natural lively nature and harmonics with a bit more sweet sound and touch of sparkle.

☆☆☆ Keys/Piano: more depth to sound, more lush and rich sounding with some life to them. Also not as recessed in the mix vs NC50.

☆☆☆ Sibilance: After my experience I don't want any hint of sibilance, whisper or other distortion, peak or harshness of any kind.

☆☆☆ Cohesive/Layering: definitely want something with far more natural and cohesive layering. I don't want to hear artificial edges to the individual tracks within a song, only want to hear a well balanced song like the artists were sitting right there playing together at same time in perfect acoustic harmony and volume levels for and ideal listening experience.

☆☆☆ Air: definitely would like more air overall and between instruments, mostly for treble and, to my ears, mids with the NC50 can be congested sounding in complex/heavy mid focused tracks.

☆☆☆ Imaging: imaging could be a tiny bit worse to better vs NC50 and either way it should be acceptable if most everything else important is improved.

☆☆☆ Soundstage: a bit less intimate mids and primary vocals so sound isn't as congested at times and there's more air to it. Deeper soundstage would be very good, any fair bit higher and or wider overall would be good.

☆☆☆ Detail: detail is ok, a bit more or a little bit less is fine if richness, cohesion and definition are better.

☆☆☆ Fatigue: the sound of NC50 burns me out real quick. So something with richer sound and is smoother and less fatiguing is good and likely solve this aspect for me.

Remember I listen LOUD.

Also thanks for everyone's help and input thus far.

(At least they are very comfortable and light to wear, almost totally forget I'm wearing them when music isn't playing lol)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,235 of 31,833
@Cantrell sounds to me like you should look for something in the basshead or near-basshead class with a warm tilt. Kind of sounds like something that would be described as bright might not be your cup of tea though, but that you'll want good treble extension with an overall warmer flavor.

Also I'm curious what kind of treble peaks you're hearing? The treble sounds pretty smoothly rolled off to me, but with a presence boost in the upper mids / lower treble that lends them their bright sound.

Wish I could be more helpful, but the NC50s push my boundaries in exactly the opposite directions as yours, apparently - as much bass as I can stand, and treble bordering on not bright enough for me. :confounded:

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #4,236 of 31,833
Glad you enjoy the reviews. I seem to be the only one having the imaging issues so maybe take those comments with a grain of salt. In terms of ZS5 vs. DM5 they both have their positives and negatives. DM5's low end I much prefer. Tighter, more textured, more impactful, and digs deeper. Mid-range is more natural on the DM5 but too recessed. I prefer the ZS5's treble. Extends nicely and isn't as sharp. Also a touch more controlled. I also find the ZS5's housing fits me better, unless I wear the DM5 cable-down. Disregarding the imaging thing, I think they perform on a similar level. DM5 definitely feels more premium though, and that you get two cables and MMCX vs. a less common 2-pin connector is a plus, even if I prefer the 2-pin. Not sure where my ZST is to compare unfortunately. Don't have an ES3 or ZS6. I did listen to the ES3 briefly though and though it was really good. Similar to the ZST but more refined. Might pick one up at some point if I see a worthwhile sale.

Thanks for the detailed response...
I'm glad to hear the Bass on the DM5 is a bit more "Tighter, textured, impactful, and digs deeper" then the ZS5..
I like the Bass on my modded ZS5 v.2, but I do find myself EQing in about +5db @ 33Hz...
After I modded my ZS5 v.2 I am thrilled with the treble..
However, I seem to remember reading that you have a ZS5 v.1?
If so, I'm not sure how much the ZS5 v.1 even sounds like a v.2?
I believe the v.2 are about twice impedance, and probably have a SMT crossover as well..

Well at this point, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I hate, like, or love the DM5..

I can't believe I've now spent $260+ on "budget" earphones....I could have just picked up an LZ A4 + a good upgrade cable...
But then again; the "Easter egg hunt" is where all the fun is at...Right?? :)

Anyway, you guys have turned me into an addict!
And I thank you... :bow:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #4,237 of 31,833
Well the Veedix NC50 and I aren't a good match,

So I'll def be moving on from the Veedix NC50, they're unlistenable most of the time for me. So time to try the search again. My newer descriptions of sound I'm after is in direct comparison to the NC50. Also, I listen to my music pretty loudly (2-4 notches below max volume on cell phone) and maybe its part of the reason why NC50 don't fit besides my treble sibilance issue.

I've already spent a total of $112 for them, shipping and a cable so I could use them. Once I find another good/far better option I'll be getting rid of them to help pay largely or entirely for new IEM. budget will dep on that but is now $5-$140 or so range.

Compared to Veedix NC50:

☆☆☆ Sub Bass: I'd like similar quality of sub bass, but a little bit less of it.

☆☆☆ Bass: level and weight/Punch of audible bass (bass guitar) should be a fair bit higher

☆☆☆ Mid Bass/Low Mids: should have more vol level overall, fuller with a bit more weight (bass guitar and rhythm guitar are thin)

☆☆☆ Mids: more volume level, better natural balance to lows and highs. More open/far less congested, better definition and air along with imaging/separation in mid heavy/complex/layered music. Much better depth, better richness/warmth and musicality. Bigger soundstage for mids. Less recessed but not intimate.

☆☆☆ Treble: Much much smoother EQ (no harshness/piercing, sibilance and very minimal peaks at worst). Sweeter more musical overall sound. Refined and silky but with nice overall balance of sparkle and presence along with being more extended and airy. Outside of the peak of NC50, a tad bit more overall treble (maybe this is solved with no sibilance and more presence and air?)

☆☆☆ Presence: more presence (smooth, balanced) especially in mids

☆☆☆ Smoothness: definitely smoother overall and especially much more so in the treble.

☆☆☆ Analog Warmth: I'd definitely like something far more analog overall and good amount warmer sounding than Veedix NC50, which I don't find much of in at all. Keys/synths and stringed instruments are very lacking here for my taste on NC50.

☆☆☆ Richness: definitely like something that has much richer sound character in the mids and to voices.

☆☆☆ Listenability/Fun/Soul: definitely something more life like like, with much more enjoyable and soulful sound that helps me really connect with the music. Doesn't mean high energy though, inspires more emotional connection like good valve amps do vs junk high compression digital.

☆☆☆ Presentation: less intimate soundstage for primary vocals that aren't as recessed in overall presentation of mix. A bit more present and forward backing vocals. More balanced EQ overall.

☆☆☆ Female voices: are super critical to my listening. Akin to having mythological Siren with richest, sweetest amazing voice singing directly to you. Depth, natural, emotional, smooth, well balanced with ZERO sibilance or harsh piercing sounds of any kind. Sits very well in layers of mix, doesn't overpower rest of music but is definitely 1 of the stars, present and strong but not intimate or too far forward.

☆☆☆ Male voices: something similar to NC50 without treble peak, but a bit more life, richness and depth to them.

☆☆☆ Background Vocals: a bit more present/forward for better balance and cohesion to the layers of mix and a bit bigger soundstage.

☆☆☆ Stringed instruments/Guitars: more depth, richness and natural lively nature and harmonics with a bit more sweet sound and touch of sparkle.

☆☆☆ Keys/Piano: more depth to sound, more lush and rich sounding with some life to them. Also not as recessed in the mix vs NC50.

☆☆☆ Sibilance: After my experience I don't want any hint of sibilance, whisper or other distortion, peak or harshness of any kind.

☆☆☆ Cohesive/Layering: definitely want something with far more natural and cohesive layering. I don't want to hear artificial edges to the individual tracks within a song, only want to hear a well balanced song like the artists were sitting right there playing together at same time in perfect acoustic harmony and volume levels for and ideal listening experience.

☆☆☆ Air: definitely would like more air overall and between instruments, mostly for treble and, to my ears, mids with the NC50 can be congested sounding in complex/heavy mid focused tracks.

☆☆☆ Imaging: imaging could be a tiny bit worse to better vs NC50 and either way it should be acceptable if most everything else important is improved.

☆☆☆ Soundstage: a bit less intimate mids and primary vocals so sound isn't as congested at times and there's more air to it. Deeper soundstage would be very good, any fair bit higher and or wider overall would be good.

☆☆☆ Detail: detail is ok, a bit more or a little bit less is fine if richness, cohesion and definition are better.

☆☆☆ Fatigue: the sound of NC50 burns me out real quick. So something with richer sound and is smoother and less fatiguing is good and likely solve this aspect for me.

Remember I listen LOUD.

Also thanks for everyone's help and input thus far.
@Cantrell sounds to me like you should look for something in the basshead or near-basshead class with a warm tilt. Kind of sounds like something that would be described as bright might not be your cup of tea though, but that you'll want good treble extension with an overall warmer flavor.

Also I'm curious what kind of treble peaks you're hearing? The treble sounds pretty smoothly rolled off to me, but with a presence boost in the upper mids / lower treble that lends them their bright sound.

Wish I could be more helpful, but the NC50s push my boundaries in exactly the opposite directions as yours, apparently - as much bass as I can stand, and treble bordering on not bright enough for me. :confounded:
I was thinking along the same lines. I think with those kinds of expectations he should be looking at spending a minimum of $200 but probably even more than that. My praise and recommendation of the NC50 was in the context of its price when I reviewed it which was $56.

I too am not hearing any of the treble issues. I just read through a bunch of the feedback on the Taobao page and there doesn't seem to be a single person mention harsh treble there either. My only real criticism would be that the bass is a touch too strong.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #4,238 of 31,833
I too am not hearing any of the treble issues. I just read through a bunch of the feedback on the Taobao page and there doesn't seem to be a single person mention harsh treble there either. My only real criticism would be that the bass is a touch too strong.
Well I can't hear it personally (thankfully!), but taking the perception of not enough bass into account, a healthy presence boost and slightly rolled off treble that's a little lacking in extension (hence the lack of sparkle) certainly strikes me as a likely combination for sibilance.

@Cantrell basshead friendly warm sound with polite but well extended treble isn't a necessarily a huge ask, but with the technical performance aspects you're looking for and not bordering on V-shaped strikes me as a tougher item to hunt down... then again you're talking so far out of my comfort zone that I could be completely wrong about that and I would likely have no idea whatsoever.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #4,239 of 31,833
Well I can't hear it personally (thankfully!), but taking the perception of not enough bass into account, a healthy presence boost and slightly rolled off treble that's a little lacking in extension (hence the lack of sparkle) certainly strikes me as a likely combination for sibilance.

@Cantrell basshead friendly warm sound with polite but well extended treble isn't a necessarily a huge ask, but with the technical performance aspects you're looking for and not bordering on V-shaped strikes me as a tougher item to hunt down... then again you're talking so far out of my comfort zone that I could be completely wrong about that and I would likely have no idea whatsoever.
I actually missed that line about the bass. If there's not enough bass and the treble is harsh those are two classic signs of not having a good seal. It could just be the wrong tips/fit.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #4,240 of 31,833
Remember I listen LOUD.
So I think this might be a big factor we're we're sort of overlooking. I took a few minutes to push my NC50s well past my comfort zone and the results were... less than pleasant, and not just from the volume overload - all I was hearing was mountains of subbass and upper mids / lower treble.

Now I pushed them well into the realm of if I had to be exposed to that volume level for very long I'd seek earplugs, so I have to worry just a touch about your hearing, but my sensibilities definitely lie on the very quiet end of things, so I'll try not to judge too much... but I genuinely can't handle listening to that long enough to form a more complete experience than that.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #4,241 of 31,833
So I think this might be a big factor we're we're sort of overlooking. I took a few minutes to push my NC50s well past my comfort zone and the results were... less than pleasant, and not just from the volume overload - all I was hearing was mountains of subbass and upper mids / lower treble.

Now I pushed them well into the realm of if I had to be exposed to that volume level for very long I'd seek earplugs, so I have to worry just a touch about your hearing, but my sensibilities definitely lie on the very quiet end of things, so I'll try not to judge too much... but I genuinely can't handle listening to that long enough to form a more complete experience than that.
You could be right but I'm not going to damage my hearing just to find out! :nerd:

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #4,243 of 31,833
Hello ! Can you suggest me an earphone with a mostly neutral sound signature but with a slight V ou bassy signature please ? I've heard of the Pioneer CH9T but they are too expensive, i'm searching something around 50$ to replace my Xiaomi Hybrid Quantie Pro.

Thank you !

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #4,244 of 31,833
Hello ! Can you suggest me an earphone with a mostly neutral sound signature but with a slight V ou bassy signature please ? I've heard of the Pioneer CH9T but they are too expensive, i'm searching something around 50$ to replace my Xiaomi Hybrid Quantie Pro.

Thank you !
Go for Svara Red without second thought you are gonna love those, They sound great, super comfortable and Above all only $33 on 11.11 sale with good quality cable.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,245 of 31,833

Thank you !

Or the Pioneer CH5T at around half the price of CH9T, I love the Svara Red as well though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back