CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4,201 of 31,833
Hi @Dsnuts,
I have purchased the BGVP DM5 (from Penon Audio) mainly due to reading all the amazing things you have had to say about it.
I haven't received it yet, but it should be here in ARDLY WAIT!!!)

Anyway, I had a few questions if you don't mind?
I have an Ibasso DX50, are you familiar with these? if so, do you think the BGVP DM5 will sound excellent on the DX50?
The reason I ask about the DX50 is you seem to be very focused on using the DM5 on balanced sources only, and the DX50 isn't balanced.

I am new to IEMs so the BGVP DM5 will be the nicest (most expensive) IEM I have purchased to date..
Other then the BGVP DM5, I own the the KZ ZS5 V.2 (I removed one BA from each because they were awful sibilant cannons) and I have a ZS6 coming that I plan to mod as well...
My question here is: in your opinion does the BGVP DM5 completely destroy the ZS5 & 6?

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Also: If anyone else has any opinions on the above questions please feel free to post them as well. (Hopeful hint to @B9Scrambler ):wink:

Ibasso DX50 should be fine with the DM5. I use my DM5 with a pure copper cable which actually warms up the sound of the DM5 a touch but more importantly I use Comply foams on them which gives some better isolation fit and tames a little of the highs. The DM5 takes a bit of time and effort to get to their best sound so be warned. They don't sound great out of the box. Burn them in real good for at least a week. TX400 Complys are relatively cheap online and no need for expensive cables on these either. This is the cable I use and it sounds excellent with the DM5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07568DF8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have never heard the KZ Zs5 or the 6.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,202 of 31,833
I asked that same question and it seems that the DM5 after isn't a tremendous upgrade for the price as the Kz are very good value. I am now looking for something for a few extra 20-40eu, like the Pioneer SE-CH9T, Pinnacle P2, Toneking nine tails, Moni One, Fiio F9, Magaosi K3 Pro.
I'm looking for something clear as well as natural sounding, good build, without lacking bass. Like an XE800 with bass , or the Swing IE800 with more detail.

However, I've now been using wide bore tips (KZ spiral; those blue ones; 6mm large bore) on my kz zs5 v2 and I'm really enjoying the hell out of them as the harshness is gone and soundstage seems slightly wider, making me rethink my need to get something more expensive than I'm used to for 11.11.

Out of all the tips, I had assumed that the wide bores would just lower bass and never gave them a shot ( until tips kept on getting stuck in my ear for the lack of lips on the nozzle and I went through everything I had). Burn in and getting used to the highs play a little bit, but going back to the small bore tips is just too screeching for me. Give it a shot, they're at least worth the 1-2euros for any other IEM you have.

Would like your impression on the DM5 as the build and bass are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried everything on my ZS5 V.2... from 30+ hours of burn, to even doing extremely loud 20db boosted 10Khz treble burn-ins..
I tried several tips as well (including some of my own custom memory-foam hybrid KZ Spiral mod tips), but I found the Comply T500 cut the treble the most (but still not nearly enough)..

The strange thing with the ZS5 V.2s is it depends on the music I listen to as to how painfully the sibilant spikes were..
Some songs were just bright, but not painful..
Others, (especially ALL music from Animals As Leaders {one of my favorite bands}) were insanely sibilant..
The hi-hats especially sounded artificial, like SsSSsSCccCHhhhTtTtt!!!!!

However, once I literally removed 1 BA from each earphone, they sounded amazing on ALL my music..

I haven't heard any negatives about the DM5, other then one guy had a nozzle come out..
It seems like @B9Scrambler doesn't like them as much as the T2 but he also seems to not be into V type sound signatures as much.

My main headphones are DT-880Pro 250Ohm, and they are pretty flat, but I mainly use them for studio work and critical listening..
For in-ears I love my KZ ZST (other then they hurt my ears after a short time), and I love my KZ ES3 (although the soundstage isn't that great), and I now love my modded ZS5... I also have a set of LZ Z03A that I love.

Anyway, I'm still HOPING the DM5's will be a nice upgrade to the ZS5 & ZS6...
I'll definitely post my impressions once I get them. :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #4,203 of 31,833
Ibasso DX50 should be fine with the DM5. I use my DM5 with a pure copper cable which actually warms up the sound of the DM5 a touch but more importantly I use Comply foams on them which gives some better isolation fit and tames a little of the highs. The DM5 takes a bit of time and effort to get to their best sound so be warned. They don't sound great out of the box. Burn them in real good for at least a week. TX400 Complys are relatively cheap online and no need for expensive cables on these either. This is the cable I use and it sounds excellent with the DM5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07568DF8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have never heard the KZ Zs5 or the 6.

Excellent! Thanks so much for this...
I plan on giving them a good hard burn-in....
I figured 30hrs strait would be good enough? But a full week is what you recommend? As in 24/7 burn-in?

Also; with the "Wax-Guard" TX400 tips does the wax guard add a slight high cut?

I am okay with bright signatures though, but the ZS5 v.2 was just too harsh for me...
So I bet I'll be more tolerant of the DM5's added brightness..
I've heard a few guys mention that the DM5 was a bit too bright for them...but again; if it's the right kind of "brightness" and not "sibilant" I am sure I will be fine with them.

Thanks for the cable recommendation as well!
I have saved it in my Amazon and will try to get it later on..
I've spent a bit too much on my KZ addiction for now, so I'll need to wait a bit before I buy anything new.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #4,205 of 31,833
I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the DM5 is far too bassy for my taste, listening to Arctic Monkeys - Brianstorm and the bass just seemed to overpower the track. The mids seem a little mean as well compared to the low end.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #4,207 of 31,833
I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the DM5 is far too bassy for my taste, listening to Arctic Monkeys - Brianstorm and the bass just seemed to overpower the track. The mids seem a little mean as well compared to the low end.

To me they don't really come across like a "bassy" earphone since the emphasis is further down in the nether-regions. And yes the mids are on the lean side, but why does that have to be a bad thing?

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,209 of 31,833
I'm searching some IEMs with the Fengru EMX500 signature.

Is the **** XBA 6in1 a good choice?

Thanks

I think that the question is not defined enough because you are crossing form factors. EMX is energetic with lots of bass and high end extension, for an earbud. If you want that description in an IEM you are essentially asking for a V-shape IEM, but if you want similar sound to EMX, than it's closer to neutral with maybe a slight warmed up low end (the point is that something that's considered as slight V shape for earbuds is very close to neutral for IEMs, it's just the way we perceive sound and how we experience bass as stronger than it is if we know that it's leaking in the surroundings, this also has something to do with open nature of earbuds and to get that kind of experience in an IEM you gotta spend a lot more, but even then it's going to be different - all in the physics)

Understanding that you will end up compromising something, then I think that Tin Audio T2 might be an interesting choice for the realistic sound with good extensions both ways, probably less perceived bass quantity and a much narrower sound stage. (Don't have this one, I am just going by reviews which are very positive for these. They will be <30$ on 11.11)
Comparing EMX to KZ ZS5 for example, the difference in realism and mid range performance is so big that using ZS5 after EMX500 sounds off and unnatural.

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #4,210 of 31,833
I haven't heard any negatives about the DM5, other then one guy had a nozzle come out..
It seems like @B9Scrambler doesn't like them as much as the T2 but he also seems to not be into V type sound signatures as much.
Anyway, I'm still HOPING the DM5's will be a nice upgrade to the ZS5 & ZS6...
I'll definitely post my impressions once I get them. :)

My issue with the DM5 is down mostly to just the weird imaging. Ruins the experience for me which is too bad because I LOVE the low end. The sub-bass the DM5 puts out is awesome. Even with the imaging quirks, they're still a good buy for the price. But yes, I definitely prefer the T2. More forward and thicker mids, tighter treble, and no sound stage weirdness going on.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #4,213 of 31,833
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4,215 of 31,833
I’m just wondering what I should get for a Budget of $200

I would recommend the Brainwavz B400 if you like a balanced sound that's pretty comfortable, and the LZ A4 if you like a more V-shaped sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back